Assaulted

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,454
    wow...sorry to see this. I'm glad things didn't escalate. That would be a hard situation to be in when you're outnumbered.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Just checking in to see how you are doing today. Congratulations on the newest addition to your family!
    ELITIST FUK
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,880
    Dude that sucks,

Does kinda sound like the knock out game, maybe they were on something, who knows, but like others have said we're all glad you are ok.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Sonja_S said:

What a bad end to a wonderful day. I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you, Brian! I agree with njnancy that you should see a doctor, just to make sure you don't have a hairline fracture or something else after all.

Kudos for your quick thinking. You managed to keep your family safe - after just having suffered a blow to the head to boot, that's quite an achievement!

Congrats on the great niece too :-)

As for the why: you didn't do anything wrong, you were at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's your assailants who have the problem, not you. I hope they catch those bastards.

I agree Brian, just to make sure everthing is ok and it's best to get the assault documented by medical professionals as well since they are all mandated reporters, this sometimes helps to ensure the cops will keep on this.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Holy crap. I'm happy you and your family made it out of this scary situation safe and sound. This sounds nightmarish, but you acted like a superhero. I hope your head and everything else is okay.
    Congratulations on the baby girl too.
  • marilormarilor Posts: 618
    Brian, I don't know you personally but I feel really sorry for you and i'm glad that you and you're family's ok. It's a terrifying story because it could be happened to any one of us and because of the non-sense ot this attack.
    Stay focused on positive things like this new birth ! congratulations on this new baby !
    I'm here if you need some help...
    Take care of you and your loved ones.
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    You've been in my thoughts, Brian.

Let us know how you're all doing when you can.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,633
    Thanks so much for all the good thoughts, everybody. I so lucky to have you great friends here, lucky to have a wonderful family, lucky to be alive.

I'm seeing my neurologist tomorrow. I'm fairly certain my head is ok (other than a little fuzzy from maybe one too many, hahah) but it will be good to check it checked out.

Today I mostly feel angry and I don't like feeling angry. I guess that's just part of the process and I'll work through it and one of these days my lame and goofy sense of humor will return and I'll not be living this in my head.

I'll listen to Ghost later. I love that line, "Bring it on/ 'cause I'm no victim."

Thanks again, all. You guys are the best.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    i'm glad you're seeing your neurologist (although i wish it were today). And have no fear - your lame sense of humor is doing just fine. >:)
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    I've been gone for a few days, and just read this post Brian. It breaks my heart that you and your family had to go through this horrific experience. I am grateful that you all made it through this crime with no more damage that you sustained. I am glad that you are seeing a doc, just to be on the safe side. Be aware that being physically assaulted carries some psychological ramifications too -- it may make you question your beliefs about the world and people in it and it may become necessary to seek help for that, as well.

It is easy for those of us who have the benefit of time to think about what we would have done in your shoes. From what I can see you did all the right things - you kept a level head, and got you, your wife, and stepdaughter out of a very dicey situation, and contacted the authorities. It would be awesome if the surveillance cameras could help you find and prosecute these guys. I think it might help you make sense of this shitty situation. I saw this today and it made me think of you . image
    You are one of the good guys Brian. We are lucky to have you!

By the way, congrats on the wedding and the new baby in the family. Focus on the good stuff -- and remember we are here for you.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Hey Brian, glad to hear everything seems Ok, and congrats on the new addition to your family!

By the way, I recall seeing a very similar story on the news happen here a few moths ago. The only difference in this story was that the man entering the gas station was offered drugs and he politely declined. However, they posted the surveillance video on the news site and later that day, one of the thugs mothers made him turn himself in. I'd follow up with that station about the video. It might save another unfortunate customer down the line!

Again, so sorry to hear this happened... it boils my blood to hear about bad things happening to good people damn it!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    ^^ Thanks Oceans, thanks Jonny!
    Yeah, pretty much just trying to chill today. Probably shouldn't say too much about the PD followup, but it's happening which is helpful.

And being here with friends is a good booster shot of faith in people. Good people here, thank you! :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jesus brian, wtf?!!! i'm not around for a few days and you get attacked?! glad to hear it sounds like you're ok but damn dude...hope your head checks out ok and try not to let what happened get to you (easier said than done i know)
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Brian,

I'm so sorry to read about this incident.

A similar thing happened to me and then to my friend a few weeks later when we were teenagers (separate incidents, different attackers). It's over 20 years later now, and I still don't understand it.

I retaliated with a metal chair when I saw one of the attackers in school after my friend's assault. I got suspended for a while, but I felt like it was worth it at the time. In hindsight, it was just as bad as (if not worse than) what happened to me. Of course, I understand why I reacted the way I did, but that doesn't excuse it.

It's good to hear that you and your family are OK and that you are going to get checked out just to be on the safe side. I hope that the criminal justice system works in your favor and punishes your attacker and his accessories for their behavior.

And don't be afraid of your anger. As long as it doesn't bubble over into violence, it's healthy. If your emotions get to be too hard to manage, though, please don't hesitate to seek treatment for that. It's just as important as any physical damage that you may have suffered.

Take care, pal.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Thanks Norm, thanks Dankind.

Sometimes I do get really pissed off thinking about this but not to the point of violence- just anger and frustration that someone completely unprovoked would attack me. That boggles my mind. I'm not a violent person but if my wife or stepdaughter had been physically assaulted I would likely have instinctively retaliated even at the risk to my own life- kill or be killed. I respect defense of self, family and friends and Dankind, I can understand your actions. I just can't comprehend unwarranted attacking. I don't understand unprovoked violence and the kind of mindset that would lead to that.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    @-)
    I'm so sorry that happened to you Brian! That is so scary - I'm so glad it wasn't even worse and that you aren't more hurt. Sounds like your decision to book it rather than letting fear dictate that you just stood there when they told you not to get in the care was a very wise one. Some would have listened to them.

Not sure I get the focus on race. They were fucking violent thugs who are apparently harassing and/or attacking anyone who happens to be around. I know you said your concerns about that lessened when you found out they had bothered a black man, but the fact that your mind focused on that issue pretty much from the beginning makes a statement about how things are going in the US in terms of racial tensions.

So are the police going to pursue this, or do nothing at all? Obviously there are ways to find out who these people are - security cameras at the gas station, the attendant obviously knew who they were and could identify them if asked to.....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    My goodness...what a terrible ending to what was supposed to be a wonderful day filled with joy.

I'm very glad you and your family were able to get away without being harmed further, but please pursue charges against the guy, get video, file a complaint with the police...do something. Crime won't stop unless the people take back their city. Sitting idly by does nothing, if they figure out people are going to do something, eventually they will move on.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    ^^ I get what you're saying about race PJ_Soul but I would have had the exact same feeling it this small group of young men had been a rowdy tough looking group of Chicano boys or Asians or white guys or Martians. Small groups of rowdy, loud street-wise men just don't elicit a sense of well being and security for me. That may be a form of prejudice and an issue for me that I should look into... but not while feeling as traumatized as I am right now.

Besides that, my wife just informed me that our faucet is spitting mud and the water just went out and we're in a drought and on a well which may have gone dry.

When it rains it pours... or dries up? gotta run...

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm glad you and your family are okay. What a horrible story.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    Whoa that totally sucks to have been violated like that def seek pro help,i commend you for not stooping down to their level they are the animals you just happend to be there pray for the night ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

^^ I get what you're saying about race PJ_Soul but I would have had the exact same feeling it this small group of young men had been a rowdy tough looking group of Chicano boys or Asians or white guys or Martians. Small groups of rowdy, loud street-wise men just don't elicit a sense of well being and security for me. That may be a form of prejudice and an issue for me that I should look into... but not while feeling as traumatized as I am right now.

Besides that, my wife just informed me that our faucet is spitting mud and the water just went out and we're in a drought and on a well which may have gone dry.

When it rains it pours... or dries up? gotta run...

I don't think (and knowing what I do of you) that noting or being aware of race is tantamount to prejudice at all; it's simply that - being aware and using your gut based on the behavior of those you encounter and the situation at hand...and using common sense, keeping a level head, in an environment that could call for anything but.

Hope the faucet and well situations turn out to be small fries in the midst of this.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I once got jumped by five dudes while walking back hame from the bar when I was in college. They came up to my friend in I and got in our face and while I was trying to diffuse the situation a dude to the left of me just sucker punched me. Instinctively, I grabbed the closest guy and wrestled him to the ground and proceeded to pummel him until another guy ran over and kicked me in my face. I got up and announced that was it and I'm going home ... Which they amazingly acknowledged because they were probably amazed I was still conscious.

It's sucky to feel a victim. There was no reason that should have happened Brian so I can relate to how you feel .... With the exception I didn't have a wife and kid which probably amps up fuckedupedness of the assault several fold.

That's the last time I've ever been in a fight. I now profile. Judge your surroundings.

By the way, the dudes were white. But I was in a townie area, late at night, and was a college boy.
    Jason P said:

I once got jumped by five dudes while walking back hame from the bar when I was in college. They came up to my friend in I and got in our face and while I was trying to diffuse the situation a dude to the left of me just sucker punched me. Instinctively, I grabbed the closest guy and wrestled him to the ground and proceeded to pummel him until another guy ran over and kicked me in my face. I got up and announced that was it and I'm going home ... Which they amazingly acknowledged because they were probably amazed I was still conscious.

It's sucky to feel a victim. There was no reason that should have happened Brian so I can relate to how you feel .... With the exception I didn't have a wife and kid which probably amps up fuckedupedness of the assault several fold.

That's the last time I've ever been in a fight. I now profile. Judge your surroundings.

By the way, the dudes were white. But I was in a townie area, late at night, and was a college boy.

Holy crap, Jason P, I feel like I got off lucky! You're one tough dude!

I'd like to clear up the race issue business here quick like. When I posted my story here my intent was to tell the story honestly. In my initial post, I described the young men as "black" the way I described the color of their vehicle. It's my habit as a writer and former teacher to add detail when writing. But as I wrote this it occurred to me that someone might think that by saying they were black that I might have a problem with black people which I don't. So when I mentioned the fact that the guys working in the store were black I thought maybe if I pointed out that these guys were really cool, which they were, would clear up that issue. I probably shouldn't have made either description which would have prevented this from being an issue at all and, besides, any of you who know even a little about me know I am not a bigot. If there was ANY prejudice involved here at all the only thing that might be a factor is that maybe the guy who punched me doesn't like white people in his neighborhood but I don't know if that is so and I did not make that claim. I think it's more likely that he has a problem with female canines because it is the word "bitch" that he spewed at me. As for my biases I will say this: I have a big problem with people who threaten and/or do harm to others for no reason whatsoever.

PLEASE, let's not make this a race issue thread.

• JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    Important thing is that you and your family are okay and safe at home. Similar thing happened to me and a buddy of mine coming out of a convenience store. Confronted face-to-face and then struck from behind and then in the front. Broke my jaw....

Glad to hear you are okay.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    So sorry to read about what happened to you and your family, so glad everyone is safe.
    Take care,
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Sorry about what happened to you. That low life will get his soon enough. Maybe he'll end up in jail where he belongs. But yeah, pursue charges. You have witnesses and there may be video evidence. Don't let him get away with it.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    that is horrible! i'm glad you're okay for the most part.

...and of course, it's a 'group' of assholes. they wouldn't have the guts to try something if they were alone.

did you see me? i saw you.
    JV130312 said:

Important thing is that you and your family are okay and safe at home. Similar thing happened to me and a buddy of mine coming out of a convenience store. Confronted face-to-face and then struck from behind and then in the front. Broke my jaw....

Glad to hear you are okay.

Oh man, damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you've had good healing in all ways.

Thanks again everybody.

Peace and Love.

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    brianlux said:

I'd like to clear up the race issue business here quick like. When I posted my story here my intent was to tell the story honestly. In my initial post, I described the young men as "black" the way I described the color of their vehicle. It's my habit as a writer and former teacher to add detail when writing. But as I wrote this it occurred to me that someone might think that by saying they were black that I might have a problem with black people which I don't. So when I mentioned the fact that the guys working in the store were black I thought maybe if I pointed out that these guys were really cool, which they were, would clear up that issue. I probably shouldn't have made either description which would have prevented this from being an issue at all and, besides, any of you who know even a little about me know I am not a bigot. If there was ANY prejudice involved here at all the only thing that might be a factor is that maybe the guy who punched me doesn't like white people in his neighborhood but I don't know if that is so and I did not make that claim. I think it's more likely that he has a problem with female canines because it is the word "bitch" that he spewed at me. As for my biases I will say this: I have a big problem with people who threaten and/or do harm to others for no reason whatsoever.

PLEASE, let's not make this a race issue thread.

Wow, brian, dnt even sweat it bro. NO ONE here at all thinks that you're racist or a bigot. I would've described it the same exact way as you. You have no issue here with it being a race "thing". That's the last thing that should be on your mind buddy.