Options

Iraq

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Byrnzie said:

njnancy said:

Europe, especially, has been allowing us to do the dirty work for decades and decades.

Like you did a good thing by invading Iraq and Afghanistan? Are you suggesting that you've been doing Europe a favour with your foreign policy? It was your foreign policy that caused 9/11. And If you think you've been doing Europe a favour, tell that to the families of those killed in the blow-back terror attacks in London and Madrid.

Let us not forget that Britain was a more than willing partner in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    JP congrats on your debut novel !
    I will not now or ever give in to the U.S bashing that goes on here on the train, with all the faults each government has how can the U.S be the bad guy every time ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,799

I will not now or ever give in to the U.S bashing that goes on here on the train, with all the faults each government has how can the U.S be the bad guy every time ?

Godfather.

We bash (I would call it criticize) because we are frustrated by knowing well how much better we could be.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Godfather.

98% of the people on this website are americans. why wouldn't they comment on their own government more than other governments? should I be asking you why you don't frequent the discussions of other governments as well, like the Israel situation, or the Canadian politics thread, etc? it's the same thing.

democracy does not work without political debate to enact change.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    also, there's no other government in the world that sticks its nose in the affairs of other nations more than the US, FOR BETTER OR WORSE. FACT. why do you take it personally when someone is criticizing your government? no one is bashing the american people. just those they elected.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

also, there's no other government in the world that sticks its nose in the affairs of other nations more than the US, FOR BETTER OR WORSE. FACT. why do you take it personally when someone is criticizing your government? no one is bashing the american people. just those they elected.

I believe the U.S sticks in's nose out because it sends billions each year in aid to those countries,you might say we have a vested interest LOL!!

Godfather.

• Options

I believe the U.S sticks in's nose out because it sends billions each year in aid to those countries,you might say we have a vested interest LOL!!

Godfather.

just to humour this preposterous statement: if aid comes with self-serving conditions, then it's not aid. it's loan sharking. giving to charity does not give you control of the recipients.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Godfather.

just to humour this preposterous statement: if aid comes with self-serving conditions, then it's not aid. it's loan sharking. giving to charity does not give you control of the recipients.

and yet they take/demand it and ask for more and that is one reason why the U.S (as you say) sticks their nose in their business, they want money and weapons so we make them a deal,they want a rebel or government leader ousted..we make them a deal.. so the bottom line is if you can't follow the rules of the deal then don't ask.

Godfather.

• Options
    to my knowledge, the US has only ever made "deals" with groups to oust a leader because it serves the American agenda (and Canada has only done so out of loyalty/pressure to the US). I was proud of Canada for not going to Iraq. I've made this example countless times, but I'll do so again: why is it the US only "helps" the middle east and not the citizens of African nations? one word: oil. Africa has none. So the US doesn't give two shits. Yeah, they throw money at them, but they have not nor will they ever invade to "help" them. Not unless there is immense pressure from the global community. and there won't be, because africa has very little impact on global financials. simple as that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    and what deals are you referring to? and what rules of these deals have these groups gone back on?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Iraq has officially asked the US to help with air stikes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Jason P said:

I'm pretty sure we still have a draft, it's just not exercised currently.

You are absolutely correct. Males are still required to register with the selective service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. We just haven't had that database utilized since, I believe, Vietnam. For women to be required to also register would take a Constitutional amendment passed by the Congress. I was explaining the registration process to my 16 year old son a couple of weeks ago; he had never heard of it (no clue what the Cold War was either; but education and NCLB is for another thread).
    Byrnzie said:

njnancy said:

Europe, especially, has been allowing us to do the dirty work for decades and decades.

Like you did a good thing by invading Iraq and Afghanistan? Are you suggesting that you've been doing Europe a favour with your foreign policy? It was your foreign policy that caused 9/11. And If you think you've been doing Europe a favour, tell that to the families of those killed in the blow-back terror attacks in London and Madrid.

'I' did not invade anything. Afghanistan is a completely different topic than Iraq. If you look at my avatar, you understand that I and my son were in the midst of the attacks on 9/11 and I had absolutely no opposition to going after Al Queda in Afghanistan. That was a direct response to being attacked. We did not invade Afghanistan; we were there to kill the scumbags who turned lower Manhattan into a parking lot, attacked the Pentagon and killed innocent citizens in those buildings and areas and on 4 planes. That was a declaration of war. Then the administration used this tragedy to invade Iraq, taking their eye off the mission in Afghanistan. I am not pro-war and I did not agree with those who were in charge of this country from 2000-2008; however, I stood behind my President when the Afghanistan offensive began. Yes, I knew people who died that day; everyone around here knows someone who died that day and knows plenty of people who are affected by the events - we watched it happen in front of us. I can empathize with the families who had losses due to the actions of TERRORISTS in Madrid & London & many more places. "i" do not need to explain anything to families who were victims of terrorism; perhaps someone would like to explain it to me. So, whenever there is a terrorist attack, it is America's fault; not the fault of brainwashed people bent on killing innocent people for, what cause??? Oh yeah, America sucks so we should all die. My son built skyscrapers with lego blocks and then would take a toy plane and smash them all for a good two years; while asking me if the plane was flying over our house again. We didn't know where my brother in law was for two days. And we lost friends, co-workers, acquaintances. My mother called me from work right after the first plane hit - the women she worked with had a total of 13 children working in the Towers that day. They all died - and i was the one who told them when the second plane hit and the buildings went down. Please know how inflammatory a statement can be before pressing enter.

As far as 'my foreign policy', it caused a bunch of people who take the Quran and completely misinterpret it for their extremist positions to declare war on WESTERN SOCIETY. American is the easiest one to point out, but most European countries have a society they despise, along with Australia and basically any country who doesn't believe what they believe.. . Did they hate that we went into Iraq during the first Gulf War - infidels on their land - yes. We were asked by Kuwait to help from being overthrown. So we did that and came home. I am not a Middle Eastern expert but I am more informed than some; perhaps simply because I think that politics - both domestic and foreign, are crucial in understanding the world. Politics, current events, foreign policy (which sounds so odd as the world gets ever smaller, it seems) have always consumed me - caused the direction of my education and affects what i view, read, think about.

I wrote more in response, but the 9/11 statement has put me in a mind set that should pass before posting more.

Also - when I speak of a country, area, continent - I am referencing the government, not the people.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Gimmi her is an example of the deals I'm talking about,surly you don't think this is free,I just can't believe favors like this would come without a price.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks PJ, That was part of what i wrote and deleted. America is constantly asked for help from oppressed groups, countries, regions. The chances of us bombing for Al-Maliki is close to nil, there is no way we can do so without it going badly. Plus, he has been an uncompromising dictator who basically said get the hell out. So we're out. Forget our phone number please. Perhaps another country could be called this time.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Gimmi her is an example of the deals I'm talking about,surly you don't think this is free,I just can't believe favors like this would come without a price.

Godfather.

Seems to me that the US owes them. These insurgents probably wouldn't be a problem if the US hadn't invaded in the first place. I am not saying there wouldn't be deals, but I'm not ready to make that assumption absolutely either, since this is brand new information and I have nothing to base that on so far. I mean, I'm sure the US government thinks it's in their interests to help without any new deals.... obviously, all existing deals aren't going anywhere.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    njnancy said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks PJ, That was part of what i wrote and deleted. America is constantly asked for help from oppressed groups, countries, regions. The chances of us bombing for Al-Maliki is close to nil, there is no way we can do so without it going badly. Plus, he has been an uncompromising dictator who basically said get the hell out. So we're out. Forget our phone number please. Perhaps another country could be called this time.

Yeah, well I'm very interested to see where this goes. I think it will be hard for the US to say no given the fact that they ultimately caused most of the problem.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    It's amazing how some people only look at things through their own eyes. One country's terrorist is another country's freedom fighter. Until we and I mean "we" all start to really understand what the fuck is really going on, we are nothing but opinions. I knew 2 people that died on 911 as did most people on the east coast. But 911 wasn't the first strike in this fucken bullshit game these fucken evil people of ALL sides play. If you think these lunatic Islamic "terrorists" just woke up one day and said fuck it let's attack America because they're "free" then you need more teaching and learning then most. Remember this, America has caused 911 all around the world for some time now. I want to state that when I say America, I mean the leaders of our country. Yes America is a great country of great people, BUT, the leaders we are suckered into believing are nothing more then money hungry monsters. And that goes for all other leaders in the world who allow fucked up shit to happen to good people.

And someone mentioned the first gulf war. From what I read and understand, saddam told bush sr he was going into Kuwait and got permission. Now what happened after that, well, that's where it gets fishy. I heard Kuwait gave our government a blank check and said get him out. Who really knows?

Sometimes if you look real hard and critically think,'you'll be able to understand some of what is going on. Sometimes it's even as easy as black and white.

As for Iraq now, we DO owe them. We owe them more then we'll ever know or repay. But let's start with an honest helping hand. Not a fuck in the ass with no vasoline. Sorry for the graphic description but I'm so sick of this war. And I'm sick of all this bullshit. Enough. This fucken polluted era of life has to change! For all of us.

My $.02
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    badbrains said:

It's amazing how some people only look at things through their own eyes. One country's terrorist is another country's freedom fighter. Until we and I mean "we" all start to really understand what the fuck is really going on, we are nothing but opinions. I knew 2 people that died on 911 as did most people on the east coast. But 911 wasn't the first strike in this fucken bullshit game these fucken evil people of ALL sides play. If you think these lunatic Islamic "terrorists" just woke up one day and said fuck it let's attack America because they're "free" then you need more teaching and learning then most. Remember this, America has caused 911 all around the world for some time now. I want to state that when I say America, I mean the leaders of our country. Yes America is a great country of great people, BUT, the leaders we are suckered into believing are nothing more then money hungry monsters. And that goes for all other leaders in the world who allow fucked up shit to happen to good people.

And someone mentioned the first gulf war. From what I read and understand, saddam told bush sr he was going into Kuwait and got permission. Now what happened after that, well, that's where it gets fishy. I heard Kuwait gave our government a blank check and said get him out. Who really knows?

Sometimes if you look real hard and critically think,'you'll be able to understand some of what is going on. Sometimes it's even as easy as black and white.

As for Iraq now, we DO owe them. We owe them more then we'll ever know or repay. But let's start with an honest helping hand. Not a fuck in the ass with no vasoline. Sorry for the graphic description but I'm so sick of this war. And I'm sick of all this bullshit. Enough. This fucken polluted era of life has to change! For all of us.

My $.02

I think that most people in this thread are critically thinking. Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't mean that their critical thinking is flawed - they have just drawn different conclusions than you.

I mentioned the Gulf War - in relation to it pissing off Al Queda that we 'the infidels' were on their land. Where did you read that Sadam gave Bush Sr. the heads up that he was going to invade Kuwait?

You think I need more teaching and learning than most? Thanks, that's attacking me - not the issue. i didn't say attack them because they're 'free', they hate the whole idea of our society. But insulting me 3 times in a thread, because you believe that you're opinion is better is not the way to lead a healthy debate.

I am FAR from misinformed, lemming-like or stupid. Don't make assumptions about people - we all be thinking with different brains - intolerance for that is just like intolerance in other parts of the world. I am sorry for your losses on 9/11. You should learn empathy as well, it is part of how people heal and come together.

I posted my opinion - disagree with that - but insulting or belittling me does not forward the conversation in the least.

Editted cause it doesn't matter. Carry on, enjoy.
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2014
    Hey BB. Like to see some backup on bush giving saddam go ahead on Kuwait.

All about the control of oil/$$$$.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Seems to me that the US owes them. These insurgents probably wouldn't be a problem if the US hadn't invaded in the first place. I am not saying there wouldn't be deals, but I'm not ready to make that assumption absolutely either, since this is brand new information and I have nothing to base that on so far. I mean, I'm sure the US government thinks it's in their interests to help without any new deals.... obviously, all existing deals aren't going anywhere.
    It is completely and utterly absurd to think that the United States owes Iraq support because we caused the terrorists to terrorize. No matter how ignorant GWB and DC motivations were for invading Iraq, it's done and over with. I've said it before, we toppled Saddam, then we're not welcome there anymore. Regardless of GW's lack of an exit strategy, the United states spent millions of dollars training the Iraqi military and police to protect themselves from this very threat. We helped that country put together their version of a democracy. So when we were ever so politely told to leave, that left the burden of responsibility to protect Iraq on Iraq.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

It is completely and utterly absurd to think that the United States owes Iraq support because we caused the terrorists to terrorize. No matter how ignorant GWB and DC motivations were for invading Iraq, it's done and over with. I've said it before, we toppled Saddam, then we're not welcome there anymore. Regardless of GW's lack of an exit strategy, the United states spent millions of dollars training the Iraqi military and police to protect themselves from this very threat. We helped that country put together their version of a democracy. So when we were ever so politely told to leave, that left the burden of responsibility to protect Iraq on Iraq.
    I disagree that it's reasonable for the US to unjustly invade a nation, fuck it right the hell up and create a problem of insurgents in that country, and then refuse to help them deal with said insurgents when asked, all because they figure they trained their security well enough (which they clearly didn't). What's happening in Iraq is a predictable result of the US's illegal militant actions, and I think the US is obligated to help when necessary. I don't expect you to agree with me, but that's how I see. I am fully aware that this could end up being another shit storm for the US.... but if the US doesn't want shit storms, then they shouldn't start them in the first place.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ahhh njnancy, I wasnt trying to insult or belittle you in anyway. All I was doing was writing and stating how I feel about the situation. I mentioned the gulf war and 911 because your post reminded of some things. In no way was I trying to belittle u or anything like that. Trust me, if I had an issue with you, I'd have no problem calling you out DIRECTLY. That's who I am. And I reread my post and I did say "we" not "you". As much as I'd like to think I know everything, I know only a simple piece of the puzzle. I dnt care if anyone agrees with my opinions or not, this isn't what it's about. It's about right and wrong and what we did as a fucken country to Iraq is 100% WRONG. So I apologize to you NANCY, from my state of New Jersey, plz dnt take it personally. Wasn't meant that way.

As for where I read that about saddam and sr, you're talking about something I read back in the 90's. 20 years ago, no internet back then. I'm sure it's somewhere on the internet now. Again, it was something I read a long time ago and even stated it was "fishy". Was it true, who the hell really knows. Again, I only know a small piece of the puzzle.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    callen said:

Hey BB. Like to see some backup on bush giving saddam go ahead on Kuwait.

All about the control of oil/$$$$.

Callen, it's ALWAYS about the OIL/$$$$$. And there's all kinds of ways of making it. think Afghanistan is ONLY about oil? Of course not. It's a machine, a well oiled (no pun intended) machine that has many moving parts. Destroy, rebuild, lend $$$, steal, someone has already mentioned the arts and artifacts destroyed or looted in Iraq. Priceless pieces. And we play the game everyday.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited June 2014

I disagree that it's reasonable for the US to unjustly invade a nation, fuck it right the hell up and create a problem of insurgents in that country, and then refuse to help them deal with said insurgents when asked, all because they figure they trained their security well enough (which they clearly didn't). What's happening in Iraq is a predictable result of the US's illegal militant actions, and I think the US is obligated to help when necessary. I don't expect you to agree with me, but that's how I see. I am fully aware that this could end up being another shit storm for the US.... but if the US doesn't want shit storms, then they shouldn't start them in the first place.
    SORRY, I FUCKED UP THE QUOTE ABOVE

I agree that we shouldn't have been in Iraq in the first place. And I'm sure you would agree that you learn from your past mistakes. Why would you insist that we go back to Iraq, knowing it will cause another shit storm? Because if we did go back to Iraq, and shit hits the fan, you will be the first one in this message board to say "fucking United states, they are so dumb. didn't they learn their ownlesson after the first time they were in Iraq for no reason?"
    And it's real easy to sit back and criticize how poorly our military was in training the Iraqi military. I'm not a military man nor have I been to Iraq, but I'm sure our boys trained those fuckers over there as best as they could.
    As far as the illegal militant actions: what was illegal? Was the United States ever penalized, or sanctioned by the UN or NATO for illegal activities in Iraq?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited June 2014
    The green light to invade Kuwait is in the transcripts of a meeting between saddam and US ambassador to Iraq April Glaspie.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Glaspie

I also recall stories that the US had green lighted Kuwait to angle drill for oil, into Iraqi territory; another engineered conflict.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_(testimony)

Don't forget the falsified 'killing babies in incubators' story that galvanized public opinion against Iraq in prep for invasion.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Ahhh njnancy, I wasnt trying to insult or belittle you in anyway. All I was doing was writing and stating how I feel about the situation. I mentioned the gulf war and 911 because your post reminded of some things. In no way was I trying to belittle u or anything like that. Trust me, if I had an issue with you, I'd have no problem calling you out DIRECTLY. That's who I am. And I reread my post and I did say "we" not "you". As much as I'd like to think I know everything, I know only a simple piece of the puzzle. I dnt care if anyone agrees with my opinions or not, this isn't what it's about. It's about right and wrong and what we did as a fucken country to Iraq is 100% WRONG. So I apologize to you NANCY, from my state of New Jersey, plz dnt take it personally. Wasn't meant that way.

As for where I read that about saddam and sr, you're talking about something I read back in the 90's. 20 years ago, no internet back then. I'm sure it's somewhere on the internet now. Again, it was something I read a long time ago and even stated it was "fishy". Was it true, who the hell really knows. Again, I only know a small piece of the puzzle.

No hard feelings - I took your post personally and I shouldn't have. This topic arises passions in many different ways and the thoughts of those days watching the skyline change and dealing with a young child and my mom can bring me right back.

I am interested to see if anything new develops cause right now there is nothing new (about which the public knows). Al Maliki, BTW, had asked for air strikes a couple of days ago and we said no.

1990's - that's when i was a whiz at DOS, taught myself on the job - i still use it when i can.

Peace to my fellow Jersey friend and everyone.
  • Options

The green light to invade Kuwait is in the transcripts of a meeting between saddam and US ambassador to Iraq April Glaspie.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Glaspie

I also recall stories that the US had green lighted Kuwait to angle drill for oil, into Iraqi territory; another engineered conflict.

Thank you for posting the information.
  • Options
    Yes, thanks drowned out for posting. Appreciate the look up for me buddy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,799
    badbrains said:

My $.02

We're all sick of this war. Right? I mean really, is anyone here thinking, "Yeah! Right on! More war in the middle east!"? I'm just not so sure any of this is simply black and white- most of us aren't privy to what goes on behind closed doors and up in ivory towers. Sometimes it's difficult to have much more than a formulated opinion or a stab in the dark as to what is what. I do get the sense that most of us here are fairly good at critical thinking- certainly more so than the average Joe Six Pack who doesn't even realize any of this shit is going on.

I guess I'm just trying to say, "Hey badbrains, don't be so hard on your fellow train riders".

;)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.