Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't date a man who still lived with his parents either. But I'm also not going to just determine that everyone who does is "pathetic". That's fucking harsh and too judgemental for my blood.
    Maybe you wouldn’t judge them as “pathetic”, but you have obviously judged them as undesirable or as not meeting your minimum standards by admitting that you wouldn’t date them.  I bet that the majority of people, if polled, would have the same standards.
    A shithole home in Vancouver is over $1,000,000. Real estate and inflation have exceeded wages grotesquely.

These days it's extremely challenging for a young person to leave home at 18 (like I and all my peer group did) and simply make a go of it by working hard. So making a blanket statement like you did while not accounting for multiple factors across multiple situations is arrogant.

Your arrogance seems to come from the perspective of someone who has never struggled and wonders why other people do. You can buy a trailer in Texas for what... $15,000?

Pretty easy to 'spread your wings' when there is no fall.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't date a man who still lived with his parents either. But I'm also not going to just determine that everyone who does is "pathetic". That's fucking harsh and too judgemental for my blood.
    Maybe you wouldn’t judge them as “pathetic”, but you have obviously judged them as undesirable or as not meeting your minimum standards by admitting that you wouldn’t date them.  I bet that the majority of people, if polled, would have the same standards.
    A shithole home in Vancouver is over $1,000,000. Real estate and inflation have exceeded wages grotesquely.

These days it's extremely challenging for a young person to leave home at 18 (like I and all my peer group did) and simply make a go of it by working hard. So making a blanket statement like you did while not accounting for multiple factors across multiple situations is arrogant.

Your arrogance seems to come from the perspective of someone who has never struggled and wonders why other people do. You can buy a trailer in Texas for what... $15,000?

I would probably struggle to make a great living in Vancouver with my current wage.  That’s why I do not plan on living in Vancouver any time soon...I am not going to live somewhere I cannot afford to live.  I have had plenty of hardships and struggles throughout my life, but going through those only increased my drive.  I just do not think people have that much of a drive to go get out on their own these days.  I worked all throughout college to pay rent, graduated at 23, and have never let myself be unemployed since.  And trailers are stupid, only lose value, as does pretty much anything with wheels, along with “shitholes” ;)
  • Options
    Power...

You're still generalizing a little too much. There are definitely cases of apathy, but today's youth is saddled with a ton we simply didn't have to overcome.

In short, I'm saying we had it easier. 'We' (me too). My opinion is that we need to give this generation a bit of a break.

If you disagree with me... cheers anyways. That's all I got for this argument.
  • Options
    Power...

You're still generalizing a little too much. There are definitely cases of apathy, but today's youth is saddled with a ton we simply didn't have to overcome.

In short, I'm saying we had it easier. 'We' (me too). My opinion is that we need to give this generation a bit of a break.

Fair enough...but “today’s youth” isn’t a generalization in what world??
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Power...

Wait what? Saddled with what exactly beside an overwhelming level of self importance? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Power...

Wait what? Saddled with what exactly beside an overwhelming level of self importance? 
    And people throwing money at them for the sheer reason of making them billionaires, lol. Now I admit, THAT was a generalization ;)
    Edit: In my mind, the parents of “today’s youth” are the ones that probably need a break more than anyone! Lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    The daily pressures kids face are different than what we dealt with.

For one... social media has impacted our youth more than can be measured. There's a reason behind heightened levels of anxiety and depression in our youth.

For another... look at starting wages and look at the cost of cars, houses, concert tix, whatever. My first jobs as a busboy, cook, waiter and bartender all allowed me to pay rent and do things.

Look at the costs of university and the competitiveness for getting into programs. Some guys that got into- say- pharmacy 25 years ago would not be able to do so this era.

I could go on, but I won't.

Cincy... if you feel you were brought up in the tough era... you're free to think that. I don't feel the same way.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I really don’t get that side of the argument. And to bring it full swing to another thread, I dont get the same argument when applied to high minimum wage in expensive areas.
    I was born and lived in Southern California for 30 years. I love it there. I lived in San Diego and Santa Monica for most of my adult life. I miss it (minus the traffic). Any guesses why I moved? Because I’d never be able to afford a house, not even after 30 years.
    So I moved to Colorado, 1600 miles away from all of my family, where my mortgage on a 5-bedroom house (including tax and insurance) was $8 less than my half of the rent of a shared 2-bedroom apartment. That’s how we made it, shared a 2 bedroom with 3 guys first, until I could afford to split it with just 1 roommate. I’m sure a million dollar home isn’t the only option. In some cases I’m sure the thought of mom’s basement is just more appealing that sharing an appartment with some buddies. Heck, I had a bunk bed as an adult until I was 26 because that’s what I had to do in order to afford it. I was 30 before I slept on something bigger than a twin size bed, because the space I could afford would only fit a twin. How many in the scenario you described could make it like that, but just prefer their old room at mom’s? I bet a lot.
    But even more so, its not your right to live in Seattle, San Francisco, New York or LA. If you can’t afford it, move. And as you pointed out, you can get a trailer in Texas for $15,000.
    There are lots of valid reasons to live with your parents, so I’m not putting everyone who does in that group. I just don’t think “the real world is too expensive” is one of them most of the time.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    Back on topic, another “responsible” gun owner. Hearts and prayers.

5 dead in apparent murder-suicide at suspect's house, nursing home - ABC News https://apple.news/A0MnxiUZBRMqbfJpmAHYP7Q
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I really don’t get that side of the argument. And to bring it full swing to another thread, I dont get the same argument when applied to high minimum wage in expensive areas.
    I was born and lived in Southern California for 30 years. I love it there. I lived in San Diego and Santa Monica for most of my adult life. I miss it (minus the traffic). Any guesses why I moved? Because I’d never be able to afford a house, not even after 30 years.
    So I moved to Colorado, 1600 miles away from all of my family, where my mortgage on a 5-bedroom house (including tax and insurance) was $8 less than my half of the rent of a shared 2-bedroom apartment. That’s how we made it, shared a 2 bedroom with 3 guys first, until I could afford to split it with just 1 roommate. I’m sure a million dollar home isn’t the only option. In some cases I’m sure the thought of mom’s basement is just more appealing that sharing an appartment with some buddies. Heck, I had a bunk bed as an adult until I was 26 because that’s what I had to do in order to afford it. I was 30 before I slept on something bigger than a twin size bed, because the space I could afford would only fit a twin. How many in the scenario you described could make it like that, but just prefer their old room at mom’s? I bet a lot.
    But even more so, its not your right to live in Seattle, San Francisco, New York or LA. If you can’t afford it, move. And as you pointed out, you can get a trailer in Texas for $15,000.
    There are lots of valid reasons to live with your parents, so I’m not putting everyone who does in that group. I just don’t think “the real world is too expensive” is one of them most of the time.

And move is what people do.

Born and raised in some areas... they are forced to move from their home town when they have the opportunity to do so.

I'm not going to detail my challenges because we have all had them. I'm saying things were tough for my generation, but not this tough and quite different. Let's be real about this- the current generation faces challenges we never faced.

Had I wanted (25 years ago), I could have stayed in Vancouver and bought property. The same guy in the same situation now could not. Young people competing with international students (who universities love for their premium tuition rates) cannot get into programs as easily as they used to. And I'm repeating myself.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Born and raised in some areas... they are forced to move from their home town when they have the opportunity to do so.

I'm not going to detail my challenges because we have all had them. I'm saying things were tough for my generation, but not this tough and quite different. Let's be real about this- the current generation faces challenges we never faced.

Had I wanted (25 years ago), I could have stayed in Vancouver and bought property. The same guy in the same situation now could not. Young people competing with international students (who universities love for their premium tuition rates) cannot get into programs as easily as they used to. And I'm repeating myself.

I'm not sure how BC post secondary schools are funded.  I am going to assume they receive some government money.  The bolded part.  Do you think that's fair that they except people from China over a resident BC then.  These are our schools supported somewhat by taxes and you are saying residents of BC who could probably get the degree they want to study but can't because they want the Chinese kid.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The area that should be of the biggest concern for todays youth is affordable housing ... I live in one of the most affordable areas of the country, in 5-10 home prices will be out of reach for the average person, rental units are few and far between...and many youth just don't have the credit established to even get a decent apartment any more...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure how BC post secondary schools are funded.  I am going to assume they receive some government money.  The bolded part.  Do you think that's fair that they except people from China over a resident BC then.  These are our schools supported somewhat by taxes and you are saying residents of BC who could probably get the degree they want to study but can't because they want the Chinese kid.  

To some degree.

I think we have a certain responsibility to service our children.

If a kid simply doesn't have the grades or aptitude... no dice; however, when a 3.75 gpa gets snubbed for an international 3.9 gpa... that's unfortunate.

From my experience, the 3.75 gpa can be a more well-rounded person- capable of handling the academic demands of the program... and capable of relating to the public in a strong manner once graduated and working.
  • Options
    Nothing can be done.

A country with no gun murders since 2007 - NBC News https://apple.news/AiHuoX7cmSCCyG0CoPCKnLA?v=1
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Just another day.

At least 3 dead, 7 injured in New Orleans shooting - CNN https://apple.news/APDZ-C2PMSlObGnNJZphhdQ

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Myyyyyy precioussssssssss
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    Oh never mind ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

For one... social media has impacted our youth more than can be measured. There's a reason behind heightened levels of anxiety and depression in our youth.

For another... look at starting wages and look at the cost of cars, houses, concert tix, whatever. My first jobs as a busboy, cook, waiter and bartender all allowed me to pay rent and do things.

Look at the costs of university and the competitiveness for getting into programs. Some guys that got into- say- pharmacy 25 years ago would not be able to do so this era.

Cincy... if you feel you were brought up in the tough era... you're free to think that. I don't feel the same way.
    No i dont think my era was tougher.  I think almost all have their own hardships. I certainly don’t think today’s youth have it hard at all and I think it’s 100% bs line of thinking.  

The social media aspect is something that is New a tough, but pretty low unemployment is pretty nice. As is having parents willing I have you live with them if need be. I think it’s different, but not tougher.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

No i dont think my era was tougher.  I think almost all have their own hardships. I certainly don’t think today’s youth have it hard at all and I think it’s 100% bs line of thinking.  

The social media aspect is something that is New a tough, but pretty low unemployment is pretty nice. As is having parents willing I have you live with them if need be. I think it’s different, but not tougher.

I think you haven't thought this out fully. This is the classic 'we walked uphill both ways to school in my day' mentality. You're not acknowledging the obvious.

The 'obvious' is as follows: wages have not kept up with inflation. Housing prices are astronomical while crappy cars that used to be $10,000 are now $20,000. Gas prices. Hydro prices. Food prices. Entertainment prices... everything prices.

If you never got into the housing market when things were reasonable (our era)... it's going to be extremely challenging to get in now and have any kind of life.

Let alone all the other stuff.

We had it easier than this generation.  
  • Options

I think you haven't thought this out fully. This is the classic 'we walked uphill both ways to school in my day' mentality. You're not acknowledging the obvious.

The 'obvious' is as follows: wages have not kept up with inflation. Housing prices are astronomical while crappy cars that used to be $10,000 are now $20,000. Gas prices. Hydro prices. Food prices. Entertainment prices... everything prices.

If you never got into the housing market when things were reasonable (our era)... it's going to be extremely challenging to get in now and have any kind of life.

Who the fuck said anything about waking up hill both ways? You are projecting bs on me to try and make your point seem valid.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2018

Who the fuck said anything about waking up hill both ways? You are projecting bs on me to try and make your point seem valid.  
    Huh?

What a weird thing to say. I said it (obviously). I expressed it to speak of the mentality that bemoans the youth sector without acknowledging their challenges- which you have tried to minimize.

My point is valid. And not only is it valid... it's correct.
  • Options
    Give todays youth a rotary phone ... then tell me who had it rougher.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Or a library card
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Smellyman said:
    Or a library card
    Or the word “no” occasionally 
    Edit: And I would truly hate to say something off topic in this thread ;), but I love all of the dog avatars lined up, lol :)
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    edited July 2018
    Smellyman said:
    Or a library card
    These are both extremely ignorant and pointless examples. What does either have to do with how tough youth today have it? Technology advanced. I think Thirty made a great argument.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    “Kids today have it so easy” said every adult ever since we crawled out of the primordial goo. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:
    Or a library card
    Edit: And I would truly hate to say something off topic in this thread ;), but I love all of the dog avatars lined up, lol :)
    Actually, I think they’ve heard far too many “nos”. 

No, you can’t climb that tree; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t go out on your bike on your own; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t play in the park on your own; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t walk to the mall on your own, it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t travel on your own, it’s too dangerous. 

Those are the nos that have have been really damaging. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:
    Or a library card
    Actually, I think they’ve heard far too many “nos”. 

No, you can’t climb that tree; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t go out on your bike on your own; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t play in the park on your own; it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t walk to the mall on your own, it’s too dangerous. 

No, you can’t travel on your own, it’s too dangerous. 

Those are the nos that have have been really damaging. 
    But here, have a gun. It’s your birthright. Nothing required, easy peasy. Parents won’t give you one? Print your own!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Smellyman said:
    Or a library card
    Off topic, pointless or irrelevant?

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.