Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Smellyman said:
    I love hunting and killing animals. Shooting cans is fun but not quite the thrill of stalking an animal. It brings me much joy.  If a few kids and other random people need to die for my fun.  so be it.

hahaha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Smellyman said:
    I love hunting and killing animals. Shooting cans is fun but not quite the thrill of stalking an animal. It brings me much joy.  If a few kids and other random people need to die for my fun.  so be it.

Why is it that gun owners can be stereotyped  but nobody else can be on these forums?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:
    I seem to remember a time in the not too distant past in this very thread, being ridiculed for advocating for biometric and RFID safes. These technologies already exist, are widely available and have been well received by gun owners. People in this thread acted like that suggestion was something out of science fiction.

Now, some of those same people are asking for finger print activated firearms? What the fuck?
    very well received by gun owners?  which model and make are gun owners flocking towards?  
    I have two Hornady Rapid safes. Most of my shooting friends either have those or the Gun Vault biometric safes.

The point is, these are already available and people buy them, even though they are not required to by law.

So called "Smart Gun" technology has not been effectively implemented and is likely to be met with resistance by the shooting public, especially if it becomes a legal requirement. 

Imagine having to retrofit your Garand with electronics in order to be able to legally own it. No thanks, not for me.

Smart safes and storage requirements? Sure. I  already do that anyway.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

Why is it that gun owners can be stereotyped  but nobody else can be on these forums?
    Is it a stereotype?  you love hunting.  What laws do you want passed so school shootings quit happening in the the only country where it happens?
  • Options
    What makes you so sure that laws are the answer?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    dudeman said:
    What makes you so sure that laws are the answer?
    Status quo isn't.  Are you willing to try something?  If not laws what?
  • Options
    Parenting.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Well I'll be damned.

Problem solved.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just so we get a clear picture of the whole article (same article as above):

After this story was originally published, Jared Keller, a senior editor at the site Task & Purpose, noted that the Department of Defense releases offered an incomplete picture of service member fatalities. Separate data compiled by the Navy, including the Marines, adds another seven casualties to the total, excluding motor vehicle accidents. In May, an Air National Guard plane crashed in Georgia killing another nine — an incident not included in the Department of Defense’s reports.
    The figures for 2018 do not suggest schools are more dangerous than combat zones. After all, there are more than 50 million students in public elementary and high schools and only about 1.3 million members of the armed forces. So far in 2018, a member of the military has been about 40 times as likely to be killed as someone is to die in a school shooting, including Keller’s revised figures.
    i guess you missed the part about deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. If deaths in Georgia by military personnel make you feel better about high school students being killed then so be it.  i do find it a bit odd that a teacher seems more concerned with defending his right to own guns than children being killed at school. all based on a something written over 200 years ago.  yea haw we can't be having the gubment cum for our guns now fella.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

Seems everyone stereotypes each other on here (snowflake liberals, hypocritical Democrats, redneck gun-toters, racist Trump supporters, etc). Not sure where you see this as a uniquely gun-focused phenomena. To be clear, I am not condoning or agreeing with any of those examples, just saying I’ve seen them on here.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

Seems everyone stereotypes each other on here (snowflake liberals, hypocritical Democrats, redneck gun-toters, racist Trump supporters, etc). Not sure where you see this as a uniquely gun-focused phenomena. To be clear, I am not condoning or agreeing with any of those examples, just saying I’ve seen them on here.
    You forgot to add in parentheses, jews.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:
    I seem to remember a time in the not too distant past in this very thread, being ridiculed for advocating for biometric and RFID safes. These technologies already exist, are widely available and have been well received by gun owners. People in this thread acted like that suggestion was something out of science fiction.

Now, some of those same people are asking for finger print activated firearms? What the fuck?
    very well received by gun owners?  which model and make are gun owners flocking towards?  
    I have two Hornady Rapid safes. Most of my shooting friends either have those or the Gun Vault biometric safes.

The point is, these are already available and people buy them, even though they are not required to by law.

So called "Smart Gun" technology has not been effectively implemented and is likely to be met with resistance by the shooting public, especially if it becomes a legal requirement. 

Imagine having to retrofit your Garand with electronics in order to be able to legally own it. No thanks, not for me.

My bad I didn’t read your comment right, I thought you were saying that smart guns have been well received by gun owners. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just so we get a clear picture of the whole article (same article as above):

After this story was originally published, Jared Keller, a senior editor at the site Task & Purpose, noted that the Department of Defense releases offered an incomplete picture of service member fatalities. Separate data compiled by the Navy, including the Marines, adds another seven casualties to the total, excluding motor vehicle accidents. In May, an Air National Guard plane crashed in Georgia killing another nine — an incident not included in the Department of Defense’s reports.
    The figures for 2018 do not suggest schools are more dangerous than combat zones. After all, there are more than 50 million students in public elementary and high schools and only about 1.3 million members of the armed forces. So far in 2018, a member of the military has been about 40 times as likely to be killed as someone is to die in a school shooting, including Keller’s revised figures.
    i guess you missed the part about deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. If deaths in Georgia by military personnel make you feel better about high school students being killed then so be it.  i do find it a bit odd that a teacher seems more concerned with defending his right to own guns than children being killed at school. all based on a something written over 200 years ago.  yea haw we can't be having the gubment cum for our guns now fella.
    Of course it doesn't make me feel better but I read the whole article and found out there was more to it than what was posted.  
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

Is it a stereotype?  you love hunting.  What laws do you want passed so school shootings quit happening in the the only country where it happens?
    I"ve said my opinion quite a bit but after reading this morning I found these three that I really like and would want legislators to endorse:

1. Suspend concealed-carry permits for improper storage. If you have your weapon stolen from your unlocked vehicle, then you should have your concealed-carry permit suspended for a specific period of time. Say up to a year.

2. Federal prison for those in possession of illegal guns. This idea comes from the Richmond, Virginia, program Project Exile. The program, which was suspended in 2016 and is now being reconsidered, was such that if you are caught with an illegal gun, you don't go to state court and get charged with the state-level crime. You go to federal court.

Richmond teamed up with its local U.S. attorney to charge anyone caught with an illegal weapon, either stolen or a person prohibited from owning a weapon, with a federal crime that carries a mandatory minimum sentence of five years.

3. Liability insurance. People would likely change their behavior if they were on the hook for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

You forgot to add in parentheses, jews.
    Wouldn’t that go under etc.? Haven’t actually seen stereotypes about Jews here since a ban a few years back.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    dudeman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

No the poster said they can start by making them now not going back to retrofit all the existing guns ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Texas school had a shooting plan, armed officers and practice. And still 10 people died. - The Washington Post https://apple.news/AuI7r7iDsTTmC1kCcUONx8A

• Options
    Students killed = 31
    Active military personnel =29
    What a race ha how many more to come with 7 more months to go in the Year..
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Yeah, that's it. We will just tell everyone to be better parents. Why hasn't this been thought of before?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

Research suggests it's largely because they're anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market and beset by racial fears

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:

Research suggests it's largely because they're anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market and beset by racial fears

http://www.businessinsider.com/people-increased-facebook-usage-after-cambridge-analytica-scandal-2018-5
    Yep afraid of the brown man , Where’s the white women at! 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dignin said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/people-increased-facebook-usage-after-cambridge-analytica-scandal-2018-5
    You linked the wrong article my friend,  would love to see the one you reference because I tend to agree with it
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dignin said:

Yep afraid of the brown man , Where’s the white women at! 
    Lol you're fucking hilarious Jose!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    dignin said:
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Yeah, that's it. We will just tell everyone to be better parents. Why hasn't this been thought of before?
       Thats absolutely step one..start putting a foot up your kids ass when he does stupid things.Find out who they hang out with and be nosy. If your kid is wearing a long, black coat everywhere, then there may be an issue.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    dignin said:
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
       Thats absolutely step one..start putting a foot up your kids ass when he does stupid things.Find out who they hang out with and be nosy. If your kid is wearing a long, black coat everywhere, then there may be an issue.
    http://abc7news.com/amp/family-of-alleged-santa-fe-high-school-shooter-issues-statement/3496479/

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    What do you expect them to say..He was evil and we knew this was gonna happen?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:

You linked the wrong article my friend,  would love to see the one you reference because I tend to agree with it
    Sorry, still pretty early I guess.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    What do you expect them to say..He was evil and we knew this was gonna happen?
    You missed the point of it , you stated start by putting a foot in your kids ass and the statement says they didn’t see anything alarming about his behavior, even with strict vigilance of Kids this can happen, even with plans of security at school this can happen ! Putting a foot in your kids ass doesn’t prevent anything ! And I have to ask are you a parent ? 
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 
    Violent video games, social media, bullying...these are all things that have been blamed.  However, these problems exist all over the western world, yet the gun violence does not.   I think it's obvious where the US stands out as different than the rest of the western world.  
This discussion has been closed.