Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    What do you expect them to say..He was evil and we knew this was gonna happen?
    You missed the point of it , you stated start by putting a foot in your kids ass and the statement says they didn’t see anything alarming about his behavior, even with strict vigilance of Kids this can happen, even with plans of security at school this can happen ! Putting a foot in your kids ass doesn’t prevent anything ! And I have to ask are you a parent ? 
       I know you cant actually " put a foot" up your kids ass these days..we have gotten really soft since the " pick a switch" days..I dont own a gun and have only shot a couple times in my life so I just dont get the whole mentality. I do have 2 kids ( 26 and 30 ). I guess I was just lucky they grew up without feeling the urge to kill someone.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    What do you expect them to say..He was evil and we knew this was gonna happen?
    You missed the point of it , you stated start by putting a foot in your kids ass and the statement says they didn’t see anything alarming about his behavior, even with strict vigilance of Kids this can happen, even with plans of security at school this can happen ! Putting a foot in your kids ass doesn’t prevent anything ! And I have to ask are you a parent ? 
       I know you cant actually " put a foot" up your kids ass these days..we have gotten really soft since the " pick a switch" days..I dont own a gun and have only shot a couple times in my life so I just dont get the whole mentality. I do have 2 kids ( 26 and 30 ). I guess I was just lucky they grew up without feeling the urge to kill someone.
    Yep I believe it comes down to the gun owners that are parents I’ve never shot a weapon at all don’t plan on it anytime soon , so in my family there’s never been talk of guns , hunting or any recreational gun activities, it’s not in our DNA ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    dignin said:
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Yeah, that's it. We will just tell everyone to be better parents. Why hasn't this been thought of before?
    not having guns in the house for his son to take would be a good start at good parenting don't ya think?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

pjhawks said:
    dignin said:
    dudeman said:
    Parenting.
    Yeah, that's it. We will just tell everyone to be better parents. Why hasn't this been thought of before?
    not having guns in the house for his son to take would be a good start at good parenting don't ya think?
    I'd say it's pretty common across America. It's not like he was a toddler.

• Options
    Sorry to state the obvious... aaaahgain:

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

Someone may say "statistic lie"  or "statistics are manipulated" but this one has been shown over and over again to be true.  One can only conclude that those who support the widespread gun ownership that plagues America either don't believe the statistics or accept that mass shootings are a part of life.  I don't know how else to interpret it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Someone may say "statistic lie"  or "statistics are manipulated" but this one has been shown over and over again to be true.  One can only conclude that those who support the widespread gun ownership that plagues America either don't believe the statistics or accept that mass shootings are a part of life.  I don't know how else to interpret it.
    It makes sense no ? I mean the more guns more casualties I’d say the public has become use to it by now why even count how many of these events have occurred...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    brianlux said:

It makes sense no ? I mean the more guns more casualties I’d say the public has become use to it by now why even count how many of these events have occurred...
    I agree, Jose. 

I think the public is becoming jaded.  "Ho hum, another mass shooting.  Life goes on." 

NO!  Not for the victims and the families who live with the sorrow, pain and tears.  These are senseless killings that happen the way they do more than any other place I know of. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    thoughts and prayers go out to the NRA.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    vaggar99 said:
    thoughts and prayers go out to the NRA.
    That makes one of us. The NRA heads are good reasons to hope hell exists.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree, Jose. 

I think the public is becoming jaded.  "Ho hum, another mass shooting.  Life goes on." 

NO!  Not for the victims and the families who live with the sorrow, pain and tears.  These are senseless killings that happen the way they do more than any other place I know of. 
    Totally, can’t even fathom to send your kid to school and be carried out in body bag we’ve lost our way as a nation and it’s sad ...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    NBA on TNT is discussing this.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Watch out NRA here comes a pissed off and grieving mom......

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Guys and girls - it’s way to early to be talking about this. Need to find the sweet spot between mass shootings to have a conversation about gun control/mental health/bullying/video games or whatever you believe needs to be talked about.

at this point the only thing that can and should be done is to send lots and lots of thoughts and lots and lots prayers!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Guys and girls - it’s way to early to be talking about this. Need to find the sweet spot between mass shootings to have a conversation about gun control/mental health/bullying/video games or whatever you believe needs to be talked about.

at this point the only thing that can and should be done is to send lots and lots of thoughts and lots and lots prayers!
    You are oblivious.  Must be nice living in a bubble and not seeing the clear and present danger of too many exits in America's schools.  Snowflake.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    None of us turned out to be mass murderers. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You are oblivious.  Must be nice living in a bubble and not seeing the clear and present danger of too many exits in America's schools.  Snowflake.
    lol the sarcasm in his post is obvious !
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    This guy doesn't get it. .....

Texas lieutenant governor blames abortions and violent video games for school shootings, but not guns 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/20/us/texas-lieutenant-governor-dan-patrick-reasons-for-school-shootings/index.html
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

It’s too soon to be talking about exits.  Please focus on your thoughts and prayers. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I thought my previous posts in this thread would have made that pretty clear.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I thought my previous posts in this thread would have made that pretty clear.
    Ha.. and mine
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Desensitized children due to violence glorified on the screen,violent video games meant for adults being played by children, media demonizing authority. They do what they're taught by role models and what's glorified by what they see everyday. 

lol @ violent video games. Dude, many of us in Australia including myself and my friends grew up playing violent video games and watching violent shows and movies.
    Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Video Games are the new 'Devil's Music'
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:

Interesting, many of us in the USA, including myself grew up hunting/shooting guns.  None of us turned out to be mass murderers either.
    This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

This is just a version of “my grandfather smoked and he still lived to the age of 80”. 

No one is claiming that every gun owner/user is going to become a murderer. People are claiming, with a lot of data to justify it, that the high prevalence of gun users/owners in the USA is really the only difference to account for the high rate of gun violence. It’s that simple. 
    So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

So what’s your plan for making them go away?  I can think of a few other geographical/cultural differences that makes the US a bit different than Australia as well, can you?
    I know it’s a difficult truth to believe, but the facts are clear.

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Sure, Australia is different from the US. Canada, too. And England. And Sweden. And Argentina.  But you know what? All of those countries are different from each other, and none of them have the levels of gun violence that the USA does. 

This argument is really just another case of the belief in “American exceptionalism”; that the US is really special and somehow different from the rest of the world. Well, it isn’t; it just has a lot more guns. 

So what is your solution?  Since the US is not exceptional in any way or another, why is it so hard to implement the same gun laws as Australia?  Do you think it is actually possible to implement similar gun laws as Australia and do you think they would have the same effect on gun violence in the USA if implemented?

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

So what is your solution?  Since the US is not exceptional in any way or another, why is it so hard to implement the same gun laws as Australia?  Do you think it is actually possible to implement similar gun laws as Australia and do you think they would have the same effect on gun violence in the USA if implemented?

There is no single solution. There are a series of reforms that can be taken in order to reduce the violence and the scale.  You've read the posts, you are just choosing to ignore them.  There is no magic bullet that preserves the 2A, under the definition that even Scalia supported in Heller v. DC.  But just because there is no one solution, doesn't mean you don't implement a series of reforms.  
This discussion has been closed.