Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2018
    unsung said:
    They would do a better job than you, tough guy 

You're a clown that only deligitimizes the pro-gun crowd and paints them in a bad light, do you even realize that? All you do is post bullshit pictures and memes you find on your social media echo chamber, because anytime you actually express your own thoughts or opinion on here you get easily destroyed. Every single time. 

Pathetic
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    I'm more then willing to compromise... my immediate position is simple... I think AR 15 and similar weapons should not be available to the public... I think there should be restrictions on capacity and certain forms of ammo... a short waiting period to allow thorough background checks with improved criteria & vetting... how about a mandatory safety class for first time gun buyers?  can people on the terrorist watch list still buy guns? if so, thats a no brainer 

I think a reasonable and knowledgeable gun owner/advocate would agree with most of that

While in the perfect world I would personally do the same with handguns, I realize that's not happening in my lifetim, and im interested in real progress, so im not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater... so feel free to keep shotguns, certain rifles, and handguns... go have fun at the range, go bag a deer, enjoy your hobby.... but please support some common sense changes, the country needs it desperately 
    The terrorist watch list and due process are a slippery slope. What restrictions would you put on ammo?

What about the terrorist watch list bothers you? It seems to me if they have enough concern about you that you're not allowed on an airplane, you shouldn't be able to purchase a gun. 

Everybody in this country has to be tested and licensed to drive a vehicle, it seems like common sense the same should apply to gun owners. I also have to register and insure my vehicle, which I also think would be reasonable for gun owners. 

I just don't like the guilty until innocent part of the terrorist watch list that's all.
    I have no problem with tests and registration.  

ya know what bud fuck it, i'm wrong...if you are on the terrorist watch list then you can't buy a firearm until you are cleared.  Why the hell did I disagree with you? lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    It just feels great to not have any guns rifles or weapons in my house and I won’t even socialize with folks who are pro gun I’ve learned a lot about people who are pro gun from this thread , I don’t want anything to do with such folks ...
    We've attended 2 concerts together and had a great time.  You'd never, ever had known I was pro gun other than in this thread.

Im pro gun but not a member of the NRA.
    My family considers me a liberal for my political views.
    I can go on and on how one thing has nothing to do with the other and for you to think I'm a bad person because of one belief now hurts me.
    Your not a bad person at all your a great guy in fact & fun to be around I should of stated it differently I apologize for that statement, I hope you can accept it ...this issue has gotten the best of me I’ll step out now ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    my2hands said:
    I'm willing to compromise too. Don't make any kind of AR or AK weapons available to the public AND MAKE every single gun owner take a 40 hour gun safety course that is mandatory every 5 or 8 years. And register every gun so that EVERY responsible gun owner can be held accountable for the actions of that gun. Including reporting it stolen asap.
    I think that's reasonable
    The main argument I've heard against register guns is that "the government will know how many guns I have at any given time so that mean is they can come and take them." How many times has the government taken your car? I'd say never, unless it was used in a crime. Which is a perfectly good reason for it to be taken from you. Same thing with a gun. It doesn't matter if it's stolen, if it's used in a crime, you lose it. Not getting your weapons stolen is part of being a responsible gun owner. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    the canadian government tried to create a long gun registery. spent millions on it until they eventually abandoned it. it was a clusterfuck, and was highly opposed. now, don't ask me why, cause I don't know. pj soul or oftenreading or thirty bills might. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Have you never seen Red Dawn? The Russians knew who had guns because of the registration, so they confiscated them and threw them all into prison for it!
    WOLVERINES!
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mace1229 said:
    Have you never seen Red Dawn? The Russians knew who had guns because of the registration, so they confiscated them and threw them all into prison for it!
    WOLVERINES!
    No, they saw the inventory of the guys store and saw all the guns were gone without being paid for. So they shot him for aiding gorillas. 

I love that movie.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    mace1229 said:
    WOLVERINES!
    No, they saw the inventory of the guys store and saw all the guns were gone without being paid for. So they shot him for aiding gorillas. 

I love that movie.
    whoops, its been a while I guess.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    edited March 2018
    My father turned into a gun nut late in life.. I'm pretty sure the original Red Dawn was 90% responsible for that.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    My father turned into a gun nut late in life.. I'm pretty sure the original Red Dawn was 90% responsible for that.  
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
    Korea
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
    Korea
    Got ya. Is your father Still alive?  Man I could hear those vets talk for hours. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    my2hands said:
    I'm willing to compromise too. Don't make any kind of AR or AK weapons available to the public AND MAKE every single gun owner take a 40 hour gun safety course that is mandatory every 5 or 8 years. And register every gun so that EVERY responsible gun owner can be held accountable for the actions of that gun. Including reporting it stolen asap.
    I think that's reasonable
    The main argument I've heard against register guns is that "the government will know how many guns I have at any given time so that mean is they can come and take them." How many times has the government taken your car? I'd say never, unless it was used in a crime. Which is a perfectly good reason for it to be taken from you. Same thing with a gun. It doesn't matter if it's stolen, if it's used in a crime, you lose it. Not getting your weapons stolen is part of being a responsible gun owner. 
    The whole govt. knowing how many guns you have and coming to take them away is based wholly on fear and paranoia. Sad!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
    Korea
    Got ya. Is your father Still alive?  Man I could hear those vets talk for hours. 
    no, he died in '93.  I was pretty young, only 20.  However his funeral was fascinating (as it could be) on one front.  My two uncles fought in WWII.  One was an island hopper marine and the other was captured at the Battle of the Bulge.  And then the old man across the street fought in the Polish Resistance.  They spent the entire afternoon arguing about who had it worse in the war.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
    Korea
    no, he died in '93.  I was pretty young, only 20.  However his funeral was fascinating (as it could be) on one front.  My two uncles fought in WWII.  One was an island hopper marine and the other was captured at the Battle of the Bulge.  And then the old man across the street fought in the Polish Resistance.  They spent the entire afternoon arguing about who had it worse in the war.  
    Man to hear the three of them talk would have been amazing. I d say the island hopper had it the worst then the polish resistance fighter in a very close second. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was he a Vietnam  vet?
    Korea
    Man to hear the three of them talk would have been amazing. I d say the island hopper had it the worst then the polish resistance fighter in a very close second. 
    Yeah he was Tarawa, amongst other places.  But my Uncle Mike was in a stalag for 7 months and almost froze to death.  He was in the 99th Infantry and was overrun at the very beginning of the battle, first night I think.  They all had compelling arguments!  
  • Options
    Guns don't  kill people

The children of gun owners kill each other

Video console death: US boy, 9, 'kills sister, 13, over controller' 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    Guns don't  kill people

"It is also unclear what consequences the nine-year-old will face."

you've GOT to be kidding me. The 9 year old? Jesus Christ. how about the shitty fucking parent?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Guns don't  kill people

you've GOT to be kidding me. The 9 year old? Jesus Christ. how about the shitty fucking parent?
    It appears they have a lot of children.

The children's mother was in another room, feeding other children lunch at the time of the incident.

Lots of children and accessible guns.  What could go wrong?

• Options
    This story clearly illustrates how introducing a gun to your household exponentially increases the chances of someone getting hurt or killed by said gun.

People- not just kids- are stupid and can be emotional, irrational, and impulsive. When stirred in such ways... stupid people don't do their best thinking and sometimes they make horrific decisions to express their 'momentary' tension. With no gun in the house... the kid could have spazzed out, but done no irreparable harm and had the time to cool down.

As it stands now, the gun 'bought for protection' has done anything but.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Guns don't  kill people

It appears they have a lot of children.

The children's mother was in another room, feeding other children lunch at the time of the incident.

Lots of children and accessible guns.  What could go wrong?

And video games don't  forget the video games 
  • Options
    Guns don't  kill people

The Parents should be arrested and jailed. This is inexcusable. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2018
    the canadian government tried to create a long gun registery. spent millions on it until they eventually abandoned it. it was a clusterfuck, and was highly opposed. now, don't ask me why, cause I don't know. pj soul or oftenreading or thirty bills might. 
    If memory serves, it was highly opposed because it was costing a fortune and nobody really saw any kind of need for it. I mean, we didn't have a crisis situation going on with gun violence, so I think most didn't understand why the government wanted to pour so much time and resources into what most thought of as a non-problem. The registry had absolutely no impact on licensing, which is actually not bad in Canada anyhow... so what? The registry was supposed to get people to register non-licensed weapons? No, because you could only register a weapon if it was licensed, lol. So if the licensing process seemed to work reasonably well, and if you can't register a non-licensed weapon, then wtf is the registry even for, right? At least, that is what the Conservative government liked to say.... But I think their main thing was just to say "SEE?! We're conservatives on our voter's side!" It was totally more about politics than it was about the effectiveness of the registry. ]
    The police and victim advocacy groups still did very strongly support the registry. They felt that it allowed them to assess possible threats, especially for the cops during searches and pull-overs. The did access the registry a LOT when it was active - thousands of times every day ... But gun crimes didn't increase when the registry was scrapped. I guess we'll never know how many crimes it prevented. I think it was more useful during the prosecution phase, as well as just for general safety/piece of mind during searches and stuff, and I think those are valid reasons. If i had to choose, I would have sided with law enforcement and victims, and chosen to keep the registry. For me, gun owners and their desire to fire guns NEVER win over the perceived wants and needs of law enforcement (in terms of safety) and victims. But again, it's not like this was a #1 problem in the country, so I never felt super strongly about it.... let's see how we feel if a real gun problem in Canada grows. How bad does something need to be for people to feel strongly about putting money torwards it?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    Nah, the easy access and availability of guns isn’t part of the problem. If they had just armed a teacher or three, this wouldn’t happen.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/great-mills-high-school-shooting/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited March 2018
    Nah, the easy access and availability of guns isn’t part of the problem. If they had just armed a teacher or three, this wouldn’t happen.

Bad example. Shooter stopped by armed security guard.  The 3rd person injured is the original shooter.

I'm not on that side of this argument, but be prepared for the NRA to go hard on this one (pun fully intended).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204

Bad example. Shooter stopped by armed security guard.  The 3rd person injured is the original shooter.

I'm not on that side of this argument, but be prepared for the NRA to go hard on this one (pun fully intended).
    They’re going to advocate for more armed security guards? I don’t think many people are opposed to that. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2018

I think it is a great example of how an armed individual in the school (not at the police station miles away) can change the momentum of events like this.  The school was prepared (ran drills, etc) and had a plan for quick response.  Props to them for taking steps now to save lives instead of sitting on their hands waiting for a bill to pass to “fix everything”.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I think it is a great example of how an armed individual in the school (not at the police station miles away) can change the momentum of events like this.  The school was prepared (ran drills, etc) and had a plan for quick response.  Props to them for taking steps now to save lives instead of sitting on their hands waiting for a bill to pass to “fix everything”.
    Armed resource personnel are typically trained members of the local police force.  It is in my sons school.  No one here has argued against that to my knowledge.  Plus this shooter appears to have been anned with a hand gun . Don't try to water down a trained cop into an "individual".
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    just a couple kiddos this time.  see, things are getting better. a big thank you to the NRA, GOP and of course daddy Trump.  take a victory lap y'all!!!!
This discussion has been closed.