America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited March 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole gun freak culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The guy who killed 49 people at the Orlando nightclub was 29. And that guy who killed his co-workers in San Bernardino was older too. I think age restriction is a good idea, but not really because of the age of shooters (although school shootings in particular are always committed by younger people). It's because it might help prevent the whole culture from sinking so deep into people when they're young and impressionable.
    The guy in vegas was older than that too ..
    I know there are exceptions where people are older.  Who is going into the schools and shooting them up?

Young men and young boys?  Yes or no?

Everyone seems to be ignoring that issue, as usual. This is probably the 20th time the fact that this is a problem with males has been mentioned in this thread, half the time by me, and perhaps the other half by you, and almost nobody ever has a single thing to say about it. It's very frustrating that nobody has any intention of ever changing what really needs to change. Everyone just keeps talking about gun regulations (which I do support as an "it can't hurt; it can only help" kind of thing, but they're not going to get to the root of the problem at all).
    No, it hasn't been ignored. Several have commented on it. If this were merely about the gender and age of the perpetrator then this would be happening all over the world, or at least in predominantly white populated countries, but it's not. Access to guns is the X factor. Troubled youth is nothing new (drop the leash!). Several people would also argue about the other gun violence phenomena, young blacks males. A lot correlates to their socio-economic living conditions and parenting situation, but overall without access to guns the violence wouldn't be as extreme.
    No, the gun issue in America specifically isn't solely about gender or age, but that IS the predominant common factor, and when you combine gender with the secondary problem of the American gun culture, you've got your problem laid out. The male violence problem is, though, a worldwide one. It's just that other countries don't also have the American gun culture problem combining with it. But hell, ALL countries still struggle with the male violence problem to a greater or lesser extent based on their own cultural bugaboos.
    And I disagree that it hasn't been ignored. If it weren't being ignored we would have had long conversations about what to do about the problem. Nobody ever wants to talk about that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    And I watch the news regularly...more than most probably... And what ive seen on the news the past 10 years tells me we need to GET RID of these ridiculous weapons, NOT keep them
    Well there are millions out there in circulation and politicians hinder any headway to come even close to “getting rid” of them, so what is your suggestion?  Hardly anyone that owns one is going to willingly “get rid” of them.
    It has to start somewhere... so ban sales now so a few million more don't enter circulation... you don't just throw up your hands and say "oh well, too late"

I have a 100 year view of this... I don't foresee any immediate improvement... but it has to start now to leave a better future for future generations

But I honestly have zero faith in this country moving forward... don't expect any silly flag waving from me, I'll join the guys taking a knee... 

History will judge us poorly

The way politics are going, it may be 100 years before anything remotely close to a ban on these happens.  Time to think outside of the box...What can be implemented now?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mrussel1 said:

The axis doesn't show, but this is 86 to 2015 from the ATF.  Someone want to tell me it's just correlation not causation?  Or is it possible the wave of violence we have seen over the past decade + is related to the volume?
    Are you suggesting that more guns made in the US causes more shootings?
    Why can't it be the other way? Increased guns manufactured is caused by an increase in gun culture? And an increase in gun culture causes more shootings?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The axis doesn't show, but this is 86 to 2015 from the ATF.  Someone want to tell me it's just correlation not causation?  Or is it possible the wave of violence we have seen over the past decade + is related to the volume?
    Why can't it be the other way? Increased guns manufactured is caused by an increase in gun culture? And an increase in gun culture causes more shootings?
    That can be true, it's just one step ahead in the process.  I have no data to analyze 'gun culture'.  That's fairly subjective.  Manufacturing is driven by demand.  That's quantifiable.  
    And yes, I do not think it's correlation, I think it's causation.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mrussel1 said:

The increase also happened during the obama years when people were afraid of guns being banned. 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The increase also happened during the obama years when people were afraid of guns being banned. 
    NO doubt.  They scared people into record sales.  Obama was a financial boom.  
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    unsung said:
    If true, it's appalling and the student has grounds to file a suit so long as he or anyone else wasn't in danger.  Now knowing how the right twists things around (see example A, Parkland father who altered email exchange with CNN), I'll hold judgment for fuller information from a real news source.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited March 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That can be true, it's just one step ahead in the process.  I have no data to analyze 'gun culture'.  That's fairly subjective.  Manufacturing is driven by demand.  That's quantifiable.  
    And yes, I do not think it's correlation, I think it's causation.  
    I would think, as any company would, gun manufactures create based on demand. The demand isn't created by simply making more guns, but more guns are made because the demand is there.
    Therefore making fewer guns wouldn't suddenly diminish this demand, since the demand exists for another reason other than simply more guns being manufactured. 
    I actually believe the spike is caused by something else; Obama.
    He was farther left than other presidents before him, so people thought gun restrictions were going in increase and it set the trend of "buy your guns now while you can."
    It's not his fault, but that's what happened. Particularly in liberal states like California. I haven't lived there for several years, but I think California implemented a new ban or restrictions on guns, so it isn't completely irrational to have believed that. Of course when you ban or restrict something the sales are going to spike. If Colorado bans marijuana in January 2019, December will be record "high" sales.
    Its hard to tell without it being labeled, but I'm guess that valley in the middle were the Bush years, and the spike before that was during Clinton. Democrats are great for gun sales.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    i_lov_it said:
    unsung said:
    Hey dummy, nobody is against your 2nd amendment right. We are against "responsible gun owners" having weapons that can shoot 75 rounds per minute. Once you understand the difference, you won't be so ignorant. 

Edit: dummy is referring to the idiot that calls himself "educating liberals." Unsung is just a puppet for reposting.
    Unsung is just unwittingly being used as a pawn.
    i_lov_it said:
    If Guns are to become illegal in the USA...that also means the Police Force as they're not above the law...
    No.

With the amount of guns already in circulation... the police need guns to do their job safely.
    So in other words one law for Police and another law for the General Public?

Well, yes, of course. I don’t see the general public being allowed to arrest people, search private dwellings, or check to see if you are driving while impaired. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    unsung said:
    Hey dummy, nobody is against your 2nd amendment right. We are against "responsible gun owners" having weapons that can shoot 75 rounds per minute. Once you understand the difference, you won't be so ignorant. 

Edit: dummy is referring to the idiot that calls himself "educating liberals." Unsung is just a puppet for reposting.
    i_lov_it said:
    If Guns are to become illegal in the USA...that also means the Police Force as they're not above the law...
    No.

With the amount of guns already in circulation... the police need guns to do their job safely.

Uhh... yes. Of course.

I'm speaking for them as active duty officers. In their private lives... same rules and laws as the commoners.

You can't seriously be suggesting cops in the US hit the streets with rubber bands or something similar are you?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    i_lov_it said:
    unsung said:

i_lov_it said:
    No.

Well, yes, of course. I don’t see the general public being allowed to arrest people, search private dwellings, or check to see if you are driving while impaired. 

So what you're saying is that Police are above the law?
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    unsung said:

i_lov_it said:
    No.

No, of course not. I’m saying that the existing laws allow for police to operate within their scope of defined duties. Assuming they do that, then it’s consistent with the law. 

This is is a really weird argument. 
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    unsung said:

i_lov_it said:
    No.

No, of course not. I’m saying that the existing laws allow for police to operate within their scope of defined duties. Assuming they do that, then it’s consistent with the law. 

This is is a really weird argument. 

Wait a minute...how can you have one law for one demographic and one for another?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I'm just saying if you're going to ban Guns then the Government should do it properly...

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    you guys are being trolled. seriously. no one can be honestly making this kind of argument. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:
    Lol, a bit of irony there
  • Options
    you guys are being trolled. seriously. no one can be honestly making this kind of argument. 
    At this point I agree. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    I wonder if She knows ;) lol
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Her history teacher would be proud :)
  • Options
    At this point I agree. 
    I agree too...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    i_lov_it said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    Her history teacher would be proud :)
    Haha...definitely top marks there...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    What's wrong with the picture? I agree with her
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    I’m guessing it’s the Spartans logo, which if so is pretty petty. It’s not like she’s got any control over the school mascot.  
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    my2hands said:
    Again.....

Why does any civilian NEED an AR 15 or similar weapon, and how does it benefit society?

What good are AR 15's bringing America????

Im trying to figure out why guys are clinging to these weapons like their childhood blankie
    None of you pro-gun guys can provide a reasonable answer/argument?

Nothing? Turn on the news is all you got? 

Pathetic
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Look up “molon labe” ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Look up “molon labe” ;)
    Im aware of it's origin, and the irony... but its also a term used to mean that we won't surrender and that's what I got from it... not the shirt I would pick, but maybe that's her Interpretation and reason for wearing it, who knows?

Of course in America the pro gun crowd has turned into a war cry to keep their silly guns

Pretty sure Michigan State football used it before as well? I could be wrong about that but I have a few friends that are Michigan fans so I think I remember it?

Either way, Unsung is only good for posting stupid pictures he thinks somehow discredit an issue or movement... 

So again, back to the discussion, why does a civilian NEED an AR 15? What good are they doing American society? Try posting some words, not a lame picture. 
  • Options
    I don't require a need to own them.
This discussion has been closed.