• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    riley540 said:
    I grew up in Alaska fishing and eating fish all year. My uncle would give us a ton of moose as well. It was fantastic. I could never hunt because I love animals, but I love eating animals too.. it’s a tough life 
    Yeah, I won't eat anything that was hunted in the wild, excluding fish - I dunno, for some reason I don't consider that hunting, which perhaps makes me a jerk ... I actually refuse to eat farmed fished because of the environmental damage coastal fish farms cause. I am not against meat-eating in general - livestock is different to me than wild animals (the environmental damage that mass meat production does is also another topic - complicated, complicated - I eat responsibly raised meat whenever possible), which may or may not be hypocritical (it is), but everyone's a hypocrite, so I'm not too twisted up about it. But since I literally think of the human race as parasites that only damage nature, a scourge upon the Earth, I can't bring myself to give a shit about people who want to kill wild animals unless they are going to go hungry if they don't. If it's not 100% out of need, I think wild animals have the right to be left the fuck alone, to live and fight and die without being unfairly gunned down by parasites. I am aware that hunters hate such an attitude and most would probably hate me too, and I'll take that as a compliment, lol.
    I wouldn’t say hate...pity maybe.  Nothing better than a nice elk burger or some quail wrapped in bacon.  Also, venison is almost as healthy as fish :).  Whitetail season is right around the corner and my freezer is I need of a fresh supply as well is this parasite’s belly! 
    Save your pity for the all the hundred of people who were hit by bullets in Vegas the other night and for the families of the dead. :neutral:
    Yeah, I'm pleased to sacrifice deliciousness to spare those poor animals that horror in their own territory. ;)
    Hunters are the least of the horrors in “their own territory”.  Truly a life lesson watching a doe getting its backside eaten by a coyote while giving birth.  
    No, hunters are definitely not the least of the horrors in their own territory, but in any case, the coyote is in his own territory too. I can't believe you are trying to suggest that the natural battle among wildlife is comparable to people sport hunting. Wtf?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    riley540 said:
    I grew up in Alaska fishing and eating fish all year. My uncle would give us a ton of moose as well. It was fantastic. I could never hunt because I love animals, but I love eating animals too.. it’s a tough life 
    Yeah, I won't eat anything that was hunted in the wild, excluding fish - I dunno, for some reason I don't consider that hunting, which perhaps makes me a jerk ... I actually refuse to eat farmed fished because of the environmental damage coastal fish farms cause. I am not against meat-eating in general - livestock is different to me than wild animals (the environmental damage that mass meat production does is also another topic - complicated, complicated - I eat responsibly raised meat whenever possible), which may or may not be hypocritical (it is), but everyone's a hypocrite, so I'm not too twisted up about it. But since I literally think of the human race as parasites that only damage nature, a scourge upon the Earth, I can't bring myself to give a shit about people who want to kill wild animals unless they are going to go hungry if they don't. If it's not 100% out of need, I think wild animals have the right to be left the fuck alone, to live and fight and die without being unfairly gunned down by parasites. I am aware that hunters hate such an attitude and most would probably hate me too, and I'll take that as a compliment, lol.
    I wouldn’t say hate...pity maybe.  Nothing better than a nice elk burger or some quail wrapped in bacon.  Also, venison is almost as healthy as fish :).  Whitetail season is right around the corner and my freezer is I need of a fresh supply as well is this parasite’s belly! 
    Save your pity for the all the hundred of people who were hit by bullets in Vegas the other night and for the families of the dead. :neutral:
    Yeah, I'm pleased to sacrifice deliciousness to spare those poor animals that horror in their own territory. ;)
    Hunters are the least of the horrors in “their own territory”.  Truly a life lesson watching a doe getting its backside eaten by a coyote while giving birth.  
    No, hunters are definitely not the least of the horrors in their own territory, but in any case, the coyote is in his own territory too. I can't believe you are trying to suggest that the natural battle among wildlife is comparable to people sport hunting. Wtf?
    Not comparing at all, nature is way more brutal.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    riley540 said:
    Biology says I’m the top of the food chain. If you believe biology you have to accept humans are animals. And we are omnivorous. I don’t care if my meat was hunted by my neighbor or if I buy it at Costco. Same with my veggies. They can come from my neighbors garden, or my local grocery store. 

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I don't consider biology because humans are beyond that. We have largely beat nature in this context (in modern developed society). It is no longer fair to be placing humans on the same level as wild animals in this context IMO. It's the same reason you don't just go running up to whatever woman smells right and start reproducing with her on the street. We're not wild animals (anymore).
    And wild animals are not comparable to domestic livestock either, IMO, just like they aren't comparable to pets. (I am not really trying to convince anyone btw - certainly not hunters; we are WAY too far apart in attitude to ever agree on this issue, lol).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't consider biology because humans are beyond that. We have largely beat nature in this context (in modern developed society). It is no longer fair to be placing humans on the same level as wild animals in this context IMO. It's the same reason you don't just go running up to whatever woman smells right and start reproducing with her on the street. We're not wild animals (anymore).
    And wild animals are not comparable to domestic livestock either, IMO, just like they aren't comparable to pets. (I am not really trying to convince anyone btw - certainly not hunters; we are WAY too far apart in attitude to ever agree on this issue, lol).
    Humans are animals, regardless of intellegance. The laws of nature apply. The only argument against this is the religious argument, which I don’t discount in any regards. But I believe we are animals, and we all have sexual desires, but our intellegance has made it so we aren’t raping people. Through laws and morals, where ever they came from, it’s all part of our natural evolution. 
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    PJPOWER said:
    I saw a quote online today (again, one of those quotes with someone's picture next to it, so the veracity can easily be questioned) that said "I don't feel sorry for those people....most country music fans are republicans and gun owners anyway". 

YIKES. 
    I usually don’t use this term, but what a dumb bitch!  
    yeah, pretty dumb.  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    Wrong.  Don't talk about things of which you have little or no knowledge. 
    Oh I have plenty of knowledge in this area and that portion of my comment is most definitely correct.  They are the same ones that try to load deer into their cars in Yellowstone to “save them”.  I have several aquantances in the forest service that have stayed what I just did.
    Forest service.   Ahhh, right...
    You’re right, I should believe some eccentric on the AMT forums.  Much more credible sources here...
    We could get into a pissing contest by me putting up my close relations in high places in the USFS against your "acquaintances"  but this is much more fun:

"...some eccentric on the AMT forums".  :rofl:
    Yeah, you just seem like a troll actually...I think the best course of action is probably going to be to just ignore you and move on.  Thank you for your well thought out and literate responses, though, I’m sure someone else will give them the time of day...
    Seriously? A troll? Brian?
    Next you'll suggest that he is a loud and proud tRump supporter :open_mouth:
  • Options
    according to Steve's bro, he was a great guy.   I mean wealthy people are always better than not wealthy people right?
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooter-brother-speaks-again/
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm no hunter. I hate guns. I hate that my 9 year old son has guns and hunts with his step dad. Having said that, where I am in southern IL, deer hunting is quite important for over populating concerns. Do people use that as justification to hunt when they know nothing of what curbing the population really entails? Yes. But it's still important. So it serves a purpose in theory. So, while you don't agree with it Soul (like me), it's not as simple as just not liking how animals are killed. 
    I am aware of the culling theory... and I strongly disagree with it, just because that argument boils down to humans thinking they matter more than the wild animals in the area do. I don't give a shit if humans are inconvenienced because they have encroached upon the animals' habitat. I don't care if the deer snarl traffic (build more crossings for them) or eat everyone's vegetable gardens because they didn't fence it well enough. Yes, I am an avid wild animal welfare advocate, and I'm aware that my views might seem extreme to some, but that's fine with me. Besides, nature tends to take care of these things, if only people would give it the opportunity to. And even with dangerous wild animals in populated areas, I strongly disagree with killing them. I think every single effort should be made to relocate them, and if I have to pay more taxes for that to happen, I'm happy to do so. If the authorities could shoot a bear or cougar dead, then they could have shot it with a tranquilizer dart. No excuses work for me unless we're talking about a mauling/attack situation, literally (obviously all bets are off during animal attacks, and FWIW, I think if someone lives in an area where a bear or cougar (or whatever) attack is a valid concern, carrying a gun for protection is perfectly fine).
    But really, that isn't all that relevant to me at the end of the day, because these hunters who use culling as a justification to go sport hunting are still going out to kill for pleasure. Culling is just a convenient excuse to talk away the fact that they are murdering wild animals for fun. I think people who do that have a bit of a screw loose (and some a really big, really lose screw, like those fuckers who go to Africa and kill endangered species like the fucking Trump sons do - that is purely psychopathic IMO). Sorry hunters, but that's just how I feel.
    yeah, I've never understood the whole "controlling the (insert animal here) population" argument. nature, as you said, takes care of it on its own. always has. long before humans were here. humans need to stop fucking with nature as if we're the caretakers of the earth. we're not. 

I think this is just another in a long list of weak arguments for gun ownership. 
    The problem is that humans have already changed the ecosystem by introducing invasive species/poor farming practices, cities, etc.  In many of the southern states, wild hogs (an invasive species that man introduced to the country) have cause millions upon millions of dollars of damage to agriculture and have destroyed the habitat for other animals as well.  Same with pythons in Florida.  If deer overpopulate, there is something called Chronic Wasting Disease that will wipe out entire populations of them.  Some invasive species will even overpopulate and bring diseases like the plague or rabies into domestic areas.  There are plenty arguments for wildlife population control that I have not mentioned here.  Myself, I am a hunter.  I usually harvest two deer a year and it feeds my family almost all year long.  I hunt wild hogs because they destroy my family’s farmland that is used to produce wheat, livestock feed.  If you are simply against farming and ranching, then do not even bother commenting because I will not respect you from the start...sorry.
    As far as the “three guns is all you need” comments...You obviously know nothing about hunting.  Different calibers are used for different animals.  Who are you to decide what someone else needs to protect their home/land or feed their family?  Animal rights activists are often the ones responsible for fucking the environment by releasing wolves into areas that they do not belong, invasive species of fish into lakes, etc.  I would say that hunters have actually contributed to the environment way more than your average PETA supporter, if by nothing else purchasing hunting licenses which funds go towards habitat restoration efforts.  Get off your high horse...
    Oh I have plenty of knowledge in this area and that portion of my comment is most definitely correct.  They are the same ones that try to load deer into their cars in Yellowstone to “save them”.  I have several aquantances in the forest service that have stayed what I just did.
    You’re right, I should believe some eccentric on the AMT forums.  Much more credible sources here...
    We could get into a pissing contest by me putting up my close relations in high places in the USFS against your "acquaintances"  but this is much more fun:

Yeah, you just seem like a troll actually...I think the best course of action is probably going to be to just ignore you and move on.  Thank you for your well thought out and literate responses, though, I’m sure someone else will give them the time of day...
    Code for "I'm losing this argument so I better lay down an insult and tuck tail and run".

Ya think?  I’ll have to let pjfan know that he is winning a lot more arguments than thought, lol.  Didn’t know we were having a competition?
    i think  you misunderstood who that was directed at. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

wow. never thought I'd see Brian be called a troll. that's about as odd as it gets. 
    I really don’t give a shit who he is, he was trolling.
    brian and i have had our disagreements, but he's no troll. fact. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i have no issue with people hunting as long as they are utilizing the animal for meat or clothing. not for trophy. it doesn't need to be a starving family. animals consuming other animals is part of nature, and always has been. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    how are humans beyond that? in order to get the nutrients we need, we either need to eat other animals or get them artificially. our nature is, as someone else said, ominivorous. just because we can grow meat out of petri dish doesn't mean we should. 

although, i just noticed what thread we're in. maybe we should get back to it. i don't consider hunting for food "america's gun violence". lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    how are humans beyond that? in order to get the nutrients we need, we either need to eat other animals or get them artificially. our nature is, as someone else said, ominivorous. just because we can grow meat out of petri dish doesn't mean we should. 

although, i just noticed what thread we're in. maybe we should get back to it. i don't consider hunting for food "america's gun violence". lol
    I am talking about stalking prey in the wild. We are already doing more than enough to destroy nature, and if we don't have to go out there and shoot wild animals, then I don't think we should. If we weren't a bunch of parasites destroying Earth and the animals we share it with about as fast as possible, I probably would not be saying this. And if nobody got any pleasure out of hunting whatsoever I wouldn't saying it either, but nobody can claim that in developed countries the vast majority of hunting is about the sport far more than it is the food.
    I am 100% not saying we shouldn't eat other animals at all, nor that I think steaks need to be made in a lab (although I wouldn't be against that if it was possible and tasted good - that would be insanely beneficial for environmental reasons and humane reasons - meat without the damage raising meat causes and without any death?? Count me in!! I have no idea why anyone would prefer to kill for meat if they could get it without killing. Surely that isn't what you meant).
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I'm just hearing it only took 9 minutes for all this gun shooting Carnage to take place......please tell me something isn't seriously wrong with that fact.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    g under p said:
    I'm just hearing it only took 9 minutes for all this gun shooting Carnage to take place......please tell me something isn't seriously wrong with that fact.

Peace

dude was on a well thought out mission. planning, execution, survellience etc....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    g under p said:

Peace

What do you mean?  A nutcase shooting an automatic weapon for even 30secs could have caused the same amount of carnage.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    g under p said:

Peace
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a second shooter. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Investigators say there is no evidence to make them believe there was more people involved. 
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Investigators say there is no evidence to make them believe there was more people involved. 
    It s still early. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    I've already had one buddy tell me there was a second shooter while pointing to fake news sites as evidence.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Which isn't to say there COULDN'T be a second shooter. Just that the Alex Jones wing of the media shouldn't be trusted when it claims there was.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    I've already had one buddy tell me there was a second shooter while pointing to fake news sites as evidence.
    Yeah I hope I am wrong. Shocking that a fake news site said that lol. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Time to throw on the tin foil hats guys. Gun nuts couldn't possibly believe that one man could cause that much carnage. It doesn't fit the BS they have been spewing from their mouths for years.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Time to throw on the tin foil hats guys. Gun nuts couldn't possibly believe that one man could cause that much carnage. It doesn't fit the BS they have been spewing from their mouths for years.
    He modified a gun to be fully automatic. Any rational person, gun owner or not, will understand that you can flatten a lot of people that way 
  • Options
    I’m in favor of making it so guns have no way to be converted from their semi-automatic nature. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    59 is nothing given the arsenal he had.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    riley540 said:
    dignin said:
    He modified a gun to be fully automatic. Any rational person, gun owner or not, will understand that you can flatten a lot of people that way 
    Well yeah, any rational person. Gun nuts don't fall into that category....more likely the paranoid category.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    riley540 said:
    dignin said:
    Well yeah, any rational person. Gun nuts don't fall into that category....more likely the paranoid category.
    I know a lot of gun owners. Most of them are very educated on fire arms and fire arm safety and wouldn’t refute any of the evidence presented. 
  • Options
    One guy with that kind of firepower shooting into a penned in crowd from an elevated position. He wouldn't even need to be a good shot. Just spray the crowd back and forth. Yet the conspiracy theories will still come. Just like after Newtown.

This discussion has been closed.