Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    I think you guys are missing dude's point. Under current law, only a few states are legal for marijuana so unless you are in the legal states you are contributing to a criminal empire, unless of course you are getting your weed from a legal grow operation out of state, which would technically be an interstate crime. I don't think the majority of pot smoking gun owners are legally obtaining their weed in non-legal states.I also think Jeff made some good points about additional restrictions that should be considered for alcohol and prescription drugs.

As for Dyer's comment about speeding, I don't think that's comparable to illegal pot smokers based on the mainly illegal operation of the marijuana industry outside the legal states. No one is profiting or benefiting from someone doing 5 mph over the speed limit; however, it could lead to a death soooo....hmmm?

Either way, there should be more sanctions on gun owners and the background they need to pass and it's actually refreshing to here someone like dude be in support of those things. Of all the things he's mentioned you're all hung up on the illegal pot smokers part.
    I agree. as an illegal weed obtainer (at least for another year), I often think about whose pockets I'm lining. Not a big fan of that. 
    Another reason I still can't get over the relief I feel every time I go to the medical dispensary. Too bad more Canadian cities aren't handling things like Vancouver is. I really can't fathom why other cities haven't followed Vancouver's lead there. It's stupid.
    in winnipeg, not only do they not do that (I still can't wrap my head around how it's legal in vancouver), they raided one of the local pipe shops by my place and confiscated almost all of their inventory. mind you, it was bootlegged/unlicensed stuff (like Krusty the Klown bongs, etc), but still........now every single product in the place has a sticker on it that states "for tobacco use only", and while the name is still "The Joint", the subname is "glassware and tobacconist". 

that sticker makes me laugh every time I pull from my pipe. :lol:
    The dispensaries are legal in Vancouver because the city's government decided it is stupid to fight it. SImple as that. But keep in mind, most of the pot shops in Vancouver are not legal, i.e. they do not have a license granted by the city (those cost $30K/year). Only a few of them are actually licensed. A handful of others are currently in the middle of the application process and the city generally lets them operate during that time. The city totally drags their feet about granting licenses btw. It is not easy to get one to say the least. All the rest of the pot shops are running openly and illegally. Sometimes the city issues large fines to them. A couple have been shut down - they seem to be chosen when enough people file complaints about them. But for the most part, the city/police are in a "look the other way" holding pattern, because anything else is considered a waste of resources and money by most of the voters and politicians alike, along with the police force (which are not RCMP btw - they probably makes a real difference too). Any city that has its own police force, at least, could make the same decisions, presumably. They just choose not to or maybe don't have as much public support from the voters to look the other way, I don't know. I guess the provincial government also has to not really care too.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    So in Vancouver, it sounds like it's just decriminalized. When do you think BC will go fully legal? Here in Oregon, the retailers are very much wanting to be seen as ligit and function within the laws. It's also a big deal for a retailer to have a close connection with the grower to know the exact strain and whether it's organic, etc. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2017
    So in Vancouver, it sounds like it's just decriminalized. When do you think BC will go fully legal? Here in Oregon, the retailers are very much wanting to be seen as ligit and function within the laws. It's also a big deal for a retailer to have a close connection with the grower to know the exact strain and whether it's organic, etc. 
    Well, it's more than decriminalized, since the city is collecting licensing fees from the small number of shops who have actually managed to make it all the way through the licensing process. Those stores are 100% legal as far as the city of Vancouver is concerned. But all of Canada is going fully legal in 2018. The provinces will have some freedom to make their own laws around it, but the basic legality of it has already been approved by the federal government. Now they are basically just finalizing the details. 1 year to go! :joy:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Let's get back on track.....

Guns don't  kill people.....

Gun owners kill people.....

Weis supermarket employee brought two guns to work; killed 3 and self: cops
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    Let's get back on track.....

Guns don't  kill people.....

Gun owners kill people.....

Weis supermarket employee brought two guns to work; killed 3 and self: cops
    Hey, what's three more innocent dead when you have "radical Islam" to fear, most of which happens elsewhere?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,228
    What I am tired of, is the quick headline we get and then, gone! I've been trying to dig for more clarification on that Orlando shooter and where he got the gun, but it's like nobody in the media cares anymore. It's just another headline and feather in their cap to show a one sided story of gun owners gone crazy, which is why we never get anywhere in this country with tougher regulations. The pro gun side gets pissed because the anti gun side says all gun owners are bad and the anti gun side are pissed because guns continue to be used to kill people.

It is ridiculous that gun advocates don't push for the tougher sanctions to alleviate the stigma and that anti-gun advocates don't meet them in the middle and understand not all gun owners are a threat.

Still waiting for more details on this Weis Supermarket shooter too. There will probably be some red flags in his background as well.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It would be nice to find some common ground or comprise but I'm afraid that we're farther away from that than ever before on this issue. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    New to this conversation :) 

i grew up in Anchorage Alaska. Now I, myself have shot guns and everything, but have no desire to ever own one, but I will say that I grew up around a lot of responsible gun owners. Growing up, I was taught how to safely handle a gun instead of being taught to fear a gun. I understand the outrage because bad people have easy access to guns, and it needs to stop. But I also full heatedly want to keep guns in the hands of my fellow Alaskans who's use them responsibly. I know all kinds of people who like to collect fire arms, people that like to go hunting, people that go to the range for fun, and even people who just like to have one in their car when they go out at night. All very good people. My girlfriend recently said she wants to get education on how to properly handle a gun and I fully support her. We can all co-exist. Not all gun owners are bad 
  • Options
    riley540 said:

i grew up in Anchorage Alaska. Now I, myself have shot guns and everything, but have no desire to ever own one, but I will say that I grew up around a lot of responsible gun owners. Growing up, I was taught how to safely handle a gun instead of being taught to fear a gun. I understand the outrage because bad people have easy access to guns, and it needs to stop. But I also full heatedly want to keep guns in the hands of my fellow Alaskans who's use them responsibly. I know all kinds of people who like to collect fire arms, people that like to go hunting, people that go to the range for fun, and even people who just like to have one in their car when they go out at night. All very good people. My girlfriend recently said she wants to get education on how to properly handle a gun and I fully support her. We can all co-exist. Not all gun owners are bad 
    True, people can co exist, but guns and people have been incompatible for a few hundred years already. Stricter gun laws will possibly lower incidents of shootings, but we're never going to end the problem until one of us ceases to exist. All of our efforts are merely bandaids on an already severed head and there's lots of blood to soak up these days.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

True, people can co exist, but guns and people have been incompatible for a few hundred years already. Stricter gun laws will possibly lower incidents of shootings, but we're never going to end the problem until one of us ceases to exist. All of our efforts are merely bandaids on an already severed head and there's lots of blood to soak up these days.
    I just fear that if guns are harder to get, then only the out laws are going to have guns. Might as well just keep the good people armed at this point. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

I just fear that if guns are harder to get, then only the out laws are going to have guns. Might as well just keep the good people armed at this point. 
    Depends on what you mean by "harder to get."

I find it absolutely outrageous that any person in this country who wants to operate a motor vehicle has to go through a basic training class, a written test, be placed on a provisional period, pass another written test, and a physical driving test to do so and no one bats an eye.  But mention you want to do the same type of process with guns and oh my lord it's the end of the free fucking world.
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

I find it absolutely outrageous that any person in this country who wants to operate a motor vehicle has to go through a basic training class, a written test, be placed on a provisional period, pass another written test, and a physical driving test to do so and no one bats an eye.  But mention you want to do the same type of process with guns and oh my lord it's the end of the free fucking world.
    Not to mention you can't even drive until you're 15 unless you have a farm permit.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    I think you guys are missing dude's point. Under current law, only a few states are legal for marijuana so unless you are in the legal states you are contributing to a criminal empire, unless of course you are getting your weed from a legal grow operation out of state, which would technically be an interstate crime. I don't think the majority of pot smoking gun owners are legally obtaining their weed in non-legal states.I also think Jeff made some good points about additional restrictions that should be considered for alcohol and prescription drugs.

As for Dyer's comment about speeding, I don't think that's comparable to illegal pot smokers based on the mainly illegal operation of the marijuana industry outside the legal states. No one is profiting or benefiting from someone doing 5 mph over the speed limit; however, it could lead to a death soooo....hmmm?

Either way, there should be more sanctions on gun owners and the background they need to pass and it's actually refreshing to here someone like dude be in support of those things. Of all the things he's mentioned you're all hung up on the illegal pot smokers part.
    I agree. as an illegal weed obtainer (at least for another year), I often think about whose pockets I'm lining. Not a big fan of that. 
    Order it online. There a plenty of good companies to order from in Canada.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

Order it online. There a plenty of good companies to order from in Canada.
    Sticky Stems :) Comes vacuum sealed discreetly from Vancouver by mail with Tracking included. Their hazelnut chocolate bars are fantastic... Took a flight to South Africa about a month ago and it must've helped me for the first five hours or so of the flight!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

Tons of people are killed each year in cars. You have to be 18 to buy a gun. Driving and owning a car is not a constitutionally protected right.

We've been over this a lot in this thread. Driving cars and the regulations that apply are not comparable to gun ownership in this country. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

Tons of people are killed each year in cars. You have to be 18 to buy a gun. Driving and owning a car is not a constitutionally protected right.

We've been over this a lot in this thread. Driving cars and the regulations that apply are not comparable to gun ownership in this country. 
    No, they aren't comparable because one set of rules makes sense and the other set doesn't.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    OK then.
  • Options
    Gotta think about why the founders put in the 2nd amendment. That's the answer 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    riley540 said:
    They predicted Trump?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    They predicted Trump?
    Possibly? Idk, but they just wanted the people to feel protected if the government ever bacame like radical Europe that they left. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    reset the clock
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html?ICID=ref_fark
    Why weren't any of these people armed to defend themselves while they were trying to enjoy a nice softball game?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html?ICID=ref_fark
    Why weren't any of these people armed to defend themselves while they were trying to enjoy a nice softball game?
    No shit...all of those snowflake republicans should have been packing heat
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Just because it was a republican doesn't make this ok. The instability will only get worse and key republicans have a reason to be fearful as long as we are lead by a divisive individual. Desperate times....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Virginia:
    No background checks for private sales
    No licensing
    No registration
    No permit required for concealed carry of long guns
    Open carry long guns & handguns
    No restrictions on large-capacity magazines

but now is not the time to talk about gun control
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Rand Paul even said that if the Capitol police weren't there a lot of people would have died....he's been pretty anti gun control.

Maybe this will wake his ass up?  No matter how pro gun you are and how many guns you own the element of surprise will get your ass shot every time.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Chickens something something roost.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Guns don't  kill people

Gun owners kill people
  • Options
    Rand Paul even said that if the Capitol police weren't there a lot of people would have died....he's been pretty anti gun control.

Maybe this will wake his ass up?  No matter how pro gun you are and how many guns you own the element of surprise will get your ass shot every time.
    perfect example of Republican logic:  ________ is evil for everyone else until I need it for myself

gun control
    abortion
    food stamps
    social security
    subsidized health care
    ....and on.....
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    No shit...all of those snowflake republicans should have been packing heat
    I don't know too many people that carry a gun while playing sports. I know I don't. Nor do I carry when going in to the gym. Nor do I carry if I'm going to an event outside where there are police present
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Chickens something something roost.

This discussion has been closed.