Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

good guy with gun wins (and there's video to prove it)
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/12/georgia-gun-store-owner-shoots-kills-armed-robbery-suspect.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1
    MABLETON, Ga. – A Georgia gun store owner's quick reflexes may have saved his life when armed robbers came calling.

Surveillance video shows Jimmy Groover, owner of Dixie Gun and Pawn, with his back to the front of the store when the suspects entered on Dec. 26. The video shows him turning quickly and shooting, and one of the glass cabinets shatters. One of armed suspects is hit and falls to the ground. The other flees.

Cobb County police say 30-year-old Donovan Chopin died at the scene. The investigation is ongoing and the second suspect had not been caught by Thursday.

Cobb County police Officer Alicia Chilton said Groover doesn't face any charges.

The store is located in Mableton, about 15 miles northwest of Atlanta.

Wonder how different this story would have been had the owner not been allowed legally to be armed...and the previous story with the bystander saving the officer...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles (the kind used to kill animals- not school children).

Not in a million years would I advocate for silencers, nor would any other current or ex hunter I know.

You evidently don't get out much these days. Almost all hunters I know (and I know a lot) advocate for suppressors. Don't lie, you have never hunted in your life.
    F**k off.

I don't get out at all any more and I've said this several times. But I grew up hunting with my father in the interior of British Columbia.

We've got actual forests in BC. Lots of rivers and remote lakes for fishing too. It's not some dust bed like Texas where you pay a rich rancher for some canned hunt like you and your chums likely partake in- fresh off the gun range with your at-15s 'feeling awesome' and rather large.

But yah... back to the point... f**k off. Don't call bullshit on me. You don't even know me.
    You make it easy to call bullshit with your evident lack of knowledge of the basic geography and people of Texas, lol. You get all triggered when someone makes a general statement about you and you go on to make a generalized comment about me and my "chums". You know nothing about hunting or hunters or Texas and make that evident post after post. As you said "you don't even know me".
    On the lighter hand, I've been fortunate enough to have plenty of family owned land and have never participated in one of your stated "canned hunts". Those are usually payed for by the city folk that never get to see outside of the confines of their steel structures otherwise. People are capitalizing on them because they are willing to pay ridiculous $ to put a deer head on their wall...which I do not fully understand. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I love hunting and being outdoors, but "trophies" are a little strange to me and must require a different mentality than I possess.
    You use a gun to hunt and
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/12/georgia-gun-store-owner-shoots-kills-armed-robbery-suspect.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1
    MABLETON, Ga. – A Georgia gun store owner's quick reflexes may have saved his life when armed robbers came calling.

Surveillance video shows Jimmy Groover, owner of Dixie Gun and Pawn, with his back to the front of the store when the suspects entered on Dec. 26. The video shows him turning quickly and shooting, and one of the glass cabinets shatters. One of armed suspects is hit and falls to the ground. The other flees.

Cobb County police say 30-year-old Donovan Chopin died at the scene. The investigation is ongoing and the second suspect had not been caught by Thursday.

Cobb County police Officer Alicia Chilton said Groover doesn't face any charges.

Wonder how different this story would have been had the owner not been allowed legally to be armed...and the previous story with the bystander saving the officer...
    I wonder how different it would be if there's no gun stores.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:

That was pretty smooth. Jimmy Groover is not to be fucked with! He dropped that asshole where he stood. You'd have to be a real fucking moron to try to rob a gun store (or pawn shop). Those guys are always armed. At least the real fucking moron in this story won't be committing violent crimes anymore. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited January 2017

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles (the kind used to kill animals- not school children).

Not in a million years would I advocate for silencers, nor would any other current or ex hunter I know.

You evidently don't get out much these days. Almost all hunters I know (and I know a lot) advocate for suppressors. Don't lie, you have never hunted in your life.
    F**k off.

I don't get out at all any more and I've said this several times. But I grew up hunting with my father in the interior of British Columbia.

We've got actual forests in BC. Lots of rivers and remote lakes for fishing too. It's not some dust bed like Texas where you pay a rich rancher for some canned hunt like you and your chums likely partake in- fresh off the gun range with your at-15s 'feeling awesome' and rather large.

But yah... back to the point... f**k off. Don't call bullshit on me. You don't even know me.
    You make it easy to call bullshit with your evident lack of knowledge of the basic geography and people of Texas, lol. You get all triggered when someone makes a general statement about you and you go on to make a generalized comment about me and my "chums". You know nothing about hunting or hunters or Texas and make that evident post after post. As you said "you don't even know me".
    On the lighter hand, I've been fortunate enough to have plenty of family owned land and have never participated in one of your stated "canned hunts". Those are usually payed for by the city folk that never get to see outside of the confines of their steel structures otherwise. People are capitalizing on them because they are willing to pay ridiculous $ to put a deer head on their wall...which I do not fully understand. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I love hunting and being outdoors, but "trophies" are a little strange to me and must require a different mentality than I possess.
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

I wonder who wrote the book of love?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    It would be great if guns didn't exist here or anywhere, but they do. I'm not a gun advocate by any means and would prefer we go the route of Australia, but until things change, the focus should first be on stricter controls and policies because based on our current laws, people with guns do save lives as well. You can't argue that. You also can't argue that guns takes lots of lives and always will because no policy/law can predict whether someone will use a gun with good intentions.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

The story sounds a little fishy at this point, alot of moving parts that don't seem to fit. Of course, if the story is true as told, the guy did what he had to do, but the whole thing seems a bit hinky to me.
    It wouldn't be the first time something like this was staged by an officer as a plan to get rid of somebody troublesome.

Probably not, but hopefully the investigation will have integrity and the story will be shown to be true.

I'm really amazed at some of the skepticism about this incident and what some think of all cops. Yeah, there are some shitty cops out there, but I don't default to thinking something is a lie when I have no reason to think in such a way. This would be quite an elaborate undertaking if it was staged. Besides the officer gambling on whether the suspect could fatally shoot him or just wound him before the bystander arrived, with a gun, nonetheless. The majority of cops are good and decent people, so until something indicates otherwise, the conspiracy theories and negative judgment aren't necessary.

Some cops are really shitty, so until evidence supports their story the abject acceptance and devotion aren't necessary.
    Apparently you haven't heard of Charles Joseph Gliniewicz?

Despite what some of you think, my opinion on police isn't that they are all bad or evil, it is that they are all people with flaws like you and I, and just like politicians, when you give flawed people absolute power, they will abuse it.

I don't choose to believe anybody at face value just because of the clothes they wear to work, if that makes me a cop hater, so be it.
    I have, but I'm not going to apply that line of thinking to every cop or person no matter what their profession.

I tend to believe people are inherently good.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:

rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

The story sounds a little fishy at this point, alot of moving parts that don't seem to fit. Of course, if the story is true as told, the guy did what he had to do, but the whole thing seems a bit hinky to me.
    It wouldn't be the first time something like this was staged by an officer as a plan to get rid of somebody troublesome.

Probably not, but hopefully the investigation will have integrity and the story will be shown to be true.

I'm really amazed at some of the skepticism about this incident and what some think of all cops. Yeah, there are some shitty cops out there, but I don't default to thinking something is a lie when I have no reason to think in such a way. This would be quite an elaborate undertaking if it was staged. Besides the officer gambling on whether the suspect could fatally shoot him or just wound him before the bystander arrived, with a gun, nonetheless. The majority of cops are good and decent people, so until something indicates otherwise, the conspiracy theories and negative judgment aren't necessary.

Some cops are really shitty, so until evidence supports their story the abject acceptance and devotion aren't necessary.

Despite what some of you think, my opinion on police isn't that they are all bad or evil, it is that they are all people with flaws like you and I, and just like politicians, when you give flawed people absolute power, they will abuse it.

I don't choose to believe anybody at face value just because of the clothes they wear to work, if that makes me a cop hater, so be it.
    I have, but I'm not going to apply that line of thinking to every cop or person no matter what their profession.

Seriously?
    Kudos for that, but it seems naive to me.
    War, greed, murder, rape, opression, racism...the list goes on and on and this shit happens every single minute.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Charlton Heston. Little known fact.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Charlton Heston. Little known fact.
    One less thing to wonder about :)
  • Options
    rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

Seriously?
    War, greed, murder, rape, opression, racism...the list goes on and on and this shit happens every single minute.
    Yeah, seriously. I wasn't always this way, but my way of thinking changed when I quit focusing on and being exposed to all the negatives in this world. There's a lot of good being done by a lot of great people. Unfortunately, the focus is about the negative 90% of the time.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

tbergs said:

rgambs said:

Seriously?
    Yeah, seriously. I wasn't always this way, but my way of thinking changed when I quit focusing on and being exposed to all the negatives in this world. There's a lot of good being done by a lot of great people. Unfortunately, the focus is about the negative 90% of the time.
    This type of shift has a huge impact across the board with how I view the world. I believe everyone at their core is a good person. And on an even more evidenced based view, good out numbers bad. You can see it when you open yourself up to it. The problem is that fear sells and is imbedded in American culture. People then get habituated to seeing the negative and will look for confirmation of this view.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Well I wonder wonder whombadoobahyoom...
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Good luck getting that out of your head for the rest of the day, lol. I've been catching myself humming it for the past 3 hours!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Good luck getting that out of your head for the rest of the day, lol. I've been catching myself humming it for the past 3 hours!
    hahaha
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    why do rothschilds Zionists want 'merica's guns so bad
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    Jacksonville police arrest mother’s boyfriend after 8-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister
    http://jacksonville.com/news/2017-02-05/jacksonville-police-arrest-mother-s-boyfriend-after-8-year-old-boy-accidentally
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

Jacksonville police arrest mother’s boyfriend after 8-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills sister
    http://jacksonville.com/news/2017-02-05/jacksonville-police-arrest-mother-s-boyfriend-after-8-year-old-boy-accidentally

Sad for the family. Child endangerment. What kind of fuckng idiot leaves a gun available to an 8 yo. Some extremely irresponsible people in the world. But hey, let's not hold anyone accountable for their actions and just blame gun ownership...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PP193448 said:

Sad for the family. Child endangerment. What kind of fuckng idiot leaves a gun available to an 8 yo. Some extremely irresponsible people in the world. But hey, let's not hold anyone accountable for their actions and just blame gun ownership...
    Most gun owners is the honest answer.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    PP193448 said:

Guns don't kill people

People with guns kill people
  • Options
    edited February 2017

How does this part of the story factor in?
    "Maurice Antonio Mobley, 34, of Jacksonville is charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon"
    Last time I checked, it is already illegal for a convicted felon to own a firearm.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

"Maurice Antonio Mobley, 34, of Jacksonville is charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon"
    Last time I checked, it is already illegal for a convicted felon to own a firearm.
    That's probably why he was charged with posession.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

And probably why you're not going to win anyone over on the pro-second amendment side that arm themselves to protect their families from felons that are in possession of firearms.
  • Options
    Here's an interesting article coming from Germany related to firearms and the public's reaction to current events.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/02/dean-weingarten/germans-buy-guns-through-the-mail/
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299

PP193448 said:

Guns don't kill people

People with guns kill people
    Israelis don't kill people

Israelis with American paid for automatic weapons kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SP8W16Xpyg

prosecutor recommends 3 to 5 years for the convicted murderer.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/04/israeli-soldier-guilty-manslaughter-shooting-palestinian-elor-azaria-abdel-fattah-al-sharif
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

And probably why you're not going to win anyone over on the pro-second amendment side that arm themselves to protect their families from felons that are in possession of firearms.
    It's tough to debate someone who is adopting a position based on fear.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Exactly, so many people fear the non-felon gun owners. They fear fear fear based on Bloomberg/most Democrat rhetoric.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Exactly, so many people fear the non-felon gun owners. They fear fear fear based on Bloomberg/most Democrat rhetoric.
    Not really. Innocent people die as a direct result of people buying guns because of the irrationality that a gun makes them safer.
This discussion has been closed.