America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

vaggar99 said:

what i've heard so many times from gun owners: 'you steal from me, i will kill you'. that's not self defense.

Nobody on this forum has ever said that.
    Pretty sure Unsung has, in effect if not in letter.
    Also, this forum is not a cross-section of America, and I definitely have neighbors who would shoot people over their stuff.
    Interesting. Where exactly do you live?
    Rural Ohio, southeast of Canton
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,898
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

vaggar99 said:

what i've heard so many times from gun owners: 'you steal from me, i will kill you'. that's not self defense.

Nobody on this forum has ever said that.
    Pretty sure Unsung has, in effect if not in letter.
    Also, this forum is not a cross-section of America, and I definitely have neighbors who would shoot people over their stuff.
    Interesting. Where exactly do you live?
    Rural Ohio, southeast of Canton
    Aaaaah got ya.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Scruffy...

With all due respect... somewhere in this forum I undertook the exercise to painfully break down the statistics and comparisons to illustrate the problem for what it is. Others have as well. The argument for legislation wins in a landslide. It's not even close. The ownership rates and deaths by gun per annum compared to every other country remotely developed leave the US in a league with countries like- here's where I'd use the term 'scary'- Mexico and Yemen.

The strongest arguments against sensible legislation are really weak. Well intended ideology developed by your founding fathers could not account for the evolution of weaponry and the corresponding usage of such weaponry after 100s of years. You can have home protection in the form of a long barrelled rifle without a large capacity magazine.

Repeating myself... the right to protect your family has never been threatened- your hobby has. Legislation like solidifying the licensing process nation wide, eliminating the sale of assault rifles, limiting the sale of handguns, registering weapons and restricting ammunition sales to registered owners, and restricting magazine capacities makes perfect sense for future generations if safety is paramount. Any legislation won't do anything for the present situation- there's no band aid solution for the problem your country experiences; however, stopping the introduction of weaponry and weaponry related items that consistently prove to be lethal for good, innocent people will have a chance of yielding positive results in time.

In my mind, legalizing silencers is a step in the wrong direction. But moving in the wrong direction is something your country seems unconcerned about- look at your presidential choice as evidence to such recklessness.

I understand the love of guns. I used to love shooting shit. I like taking photos now.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i guess Butthead will be leading the gun crazies out of Obama's tyranny with his silencer movement?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Arguments stay the same.

Is anybody here not talking about limitations (types of weaponry available, magazine sizes, etc.)?

Silencers? Holy f**k, man. The inmates are running the asylum. They've even elected a madman to front the movement.

I fail to see what is so wrong about a silencer. It's scary to you like those military style weapons. Lots of hunters and pretty much everyone i've talked to on the range would love to have silencers.
    Canadians have a much different take on guns than Americans. Even the pro-gun ones.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol

Arguments stay the same.

Is anybody here not talking about limitations (types of weaponry available, magazine sizes, etc.)?

Silencers? Holy f**k, man. The inmates are running the asylum. They've even elected a madman to front the movement.

I fail to see what is so wrong about a silencer. It's scary to you like those military style weapons. Lots of hunters and pretty much everyone i've talked to on the range would love to have silencers.
    Canadians have a much different take on guns than Americans. Even the pro-gun ones.
    Well no shit lol
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2017

PJPOWER said:

I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles (the kind used to kill animals- not school children).

Not in a million years would I advocate for silencers, nor would any other current or ex hunter I know.

You evidently don't get out much these days. Almost all hunters I know (and I know a lot) advocate for suppressors. Don't lie, you have never hunted in your life.
    F**k off.

I don't get out at all any more and I've said this several times. But I grew up hunting with my father in the interior of British Columbia.

We've got actual forests in BC. Lots of rivers and remote lakes for fishing too. It's not some dust bed like Texas where you pay a rich rancher for some canned hunt like you and your chums likely partake in- fresh off the gun range with your at-15s 'feeling awesome' and rather large.

But yah... back to the point... f**k off. Don't call bullshit on me. You don't even know me.
    You make it easy to call bullshit with your evident lack of knowledge of the basic geography and people of Texas, lol. You get all triggered when someone makes a general statement about you and you go on to make a generalized comment about me and my "chums". You know nothing about hunting or hunters or Texas and make that evident post after post. As you said "you don't even know me".
    On the lighter hand, I've been fortunate enough to have plenty of family owned land and have never participated in one of your stated "canned hunts". Those are usually payed for by the city folk that never get to see outside of the confines of their steel structures otherwise. People are capitalizing on them because they are willing to pay ridiculous $ to put a deer head on their wall...which I do not fully understand. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I love hunting and being outdoors, but "trophies" are a little strange to me and must require a different mentality than I possess.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles (the kind used to kill animals- not school children).

Not in a million years would I advocate for silencers, nor would any other current or ex hunter I know.

You evidently don't get out much these days. Almost all hunters I know (and I know a lot) advocate for suppressors. Don't lie, you have never hunted in your life.
    F**k off.

I don't get out at all any more and I've said this several times. But I grew up hunting with my father in the interior of British Columbia.

We've got actual forests in BC. Lots of rivers and remote lakes for fishing too. It's not some dust bed like Texas where you pay a rich rancher for some canned hunt like you and your chums likely partake in- fresh off the gun range with your at-15s 'feeling awesome' and rather large.

But yah... back to the point... f**k off. Don't call bullshit on me. You don't even know me.
    You make it easy to call bullshit with your evident lack of knowledge of the basic geography and people of Texas, lol. You get all triggered when someone makes a general statement about you and you go on to make a generalized comment about me and my "chums". You know nothing about hunting or hunters or Texas and make that evident post after post. As you said "you don't even know me".
    On the lighter hand, I've been fortunate enough to have plenty of family owned land and have never participated in one of your stated "canned hunts". Those are usually payed for by the city folk that never get to see outside of the confines of their steel structures otherwise. People are capitalizing on them because they are willing to pay ridiculous $ to put a deer head on their wall...which I do not fully understand. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I love hunting and being outdoors, but "trophies" are a little strange to me and must require a different mentality than I possess.
    I'm not an expert on Texas and never claimed to be. I also never claimed to be an expert on hunting. I responded to your very specific (not general) comment directed at me which, as already communicated, was false.

You called me a liar. That's far different from than poking fun at a stereotype- very personal and not generalized in any way. You've said it again here when you say I know nothing of hunting. I speculate I hunted before you were even born. And as I've said, the last time I hunted was in 1980 as an 8th grader. I don't miss it at all.

And I guess I do know something about Texas hunting, eh? You've gone at length to reflect on it in your response to me.

Your subscription to Fish and Stream coupled with your gun range pass don't make you the board expert, Friendo.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

I'm not an expert on Texas and never claimed to be. I also never claimed to be an expert on hunting. I responded to your very specific (not general) comment directed at me which, as already communicated, was false.

You called me a liar. That's far different from than poking fun at a stereotype- very personal and not generalized in any way. You've said it again here when you say I know nothing of hunting. I speculate I hunted before you were even born. And as I've said, the last time I hunted was in 1980 as an 8th grader. I don't miss it at all.

And I guess I do know something about Texas hunting, eh? You've gone at length to reflect on it in your response to me.

Your subscription to Fish and Stream coupled with your gun range pass don't make you the board expert, Friendo.

damn dirty, were you born in 1966?!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

1967 lol

But I feel 15 (on this message board I probably come across as 15 sometimes too lol)!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

I guess that the point that I'm trying to get to is that both of our speculations are probably wrong because we do not know each other. You speculate that I am way younger than I am (I've been hunting since the mid/late 80s as well). I've seen you throw out "hyuk hyuks" at anyone that is from the south so I threw out a speculation your way and got told to fuck off, and then you go on further to speculate and belittle with your Fish and Stream comment (I think it's actually called "Field and Stream" btw). My poking fun at you is merely my way of generalizing the current gun control crowd, but is no more or less offensive than your mass stereotypes.
    Most gun control pushers have never hunted or been around firearms in their lives and know nothing about firearms other than what gets reported in by the drive by media. And if you know anything about Texas hunting, you have not displayed that knowledge to date...not sure why you're even trying. My years of hunting, competition shooting, reloading, training is probably what makes me more of an expert on the subject than your experience as an 8th grader out on daddy's hunting trip.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

I guess that the point that I'm trying to get to is that both of our speculations are probably wrong because we do not know each other. You speculate that I am way younger than I am (I've been hunting since the mid/late 80s as well). I've seen you throw out "hyuk hyuks" at anyone that is from the south so I threw out a speculation your way and got told to fuck off, and then you go on further to speculate and belittle with your Fish and Stream comment (I think it's actually called "Field and Stream" btw). My poking fun at you is merely my way of generalizing the current gun control crowd, but is no more or less offensive than your mass stereotypes.
    Most gun control pushers have never hunted or been around firearms in their lives and know nothing about firearms other than what gets reported in by the drive by media. And if you know anything about Texas hunting, you have not displayed that knowledge to date...not sure why you're even trying. My years of hunting, competition shooting, reloading, training is probably what makes me more of an expert on the subject than your experience as an 8th grader out on daddy's hunting trip.
    Just to be clear:

- I've never said I was an expert hunter. I've never said I know more than you.
    - This little tete a tete started when you claimed "I never hunted a day in my life" when I remarked I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles.
    - You got personal- you called me a liar. If you wanted to poke fun at me and call me a toque wearing, beer drinking, tobogganing northern donkey... or caricaturize me as a man-bunned, murse toting liberal... well, I could chuckle a bit. But when you call me out specifically for misrepresenting myself here... that is crossing the line (hence... my response).
    - I think I did hunt before you were born.
    - You are much more up to date on hunting than I am.
    - The Trump mass generalizations are not specifically directed at you (but if they resemble you what can I say?).

If you wish to continue this exercise then pm me and let's get some things straightened out.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

Just to be clear:

- This little tete a tete started when you claimed "I never hunted a day in my life" when I remarked I have hearing loss in my right ear from shooting rifles.
    - You got personal- you called me a liar. If you wanted to poke fun at me and call me a toque wearing, beer drinking, tobogganing northern donkey... or caricaturize me as a man-bunned, murse toting liberal... well, I could chuckle a bit. But when you call me out specifically for misrepresenting myself here... that is crossing the line (hence... my response).
    - The Trump mass generalizations are not specifically directed at you (but if they resemble you what can I say?).

If you wish to continue this exercise then pm me and let's get some things straightened out.
    I don't know that there is anything to get straightened out. What does beer drinking have anything to do with being a man bun murse carrier? If it were double cream latte's maybe, but beer? Sorry I called you out, but it just sounded like bullshit to me at the time. I'll concede that we know very little about each other, and any statements about each other are purely speculative assumptions that hold no real value...fair enough?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

Just to be clear:

I don't know that there is anything to get straightened out. What does beer drinking have anything to do with being a man bun murse carrier? If it were double cream latte's maybe, but beer? Sorry I called you out, but it just sounded like bullshit to me at the time. I'll concede that we know very little about each other, and any statements about each other are purely speculative assumptions that hold no real value...fair enough?
    Yes. Fair enough. And I should state (at this time) that I might have reacted more harshly than I needed to.

I'll be honest... at my first encounters with you on this forum... I wasn't too sure of what to make of you. In time, I've come to appreciate you and where you have come from despite some differences we might have. I found it a bit surprising when you fired at me as you did because I had assumed this respect I speak of was mutual (which I think is).

And the beer drinking was for if you wanted to poke fun at me for being Canadian. The murse man bun was if you wanted to poke fun at me for being liberal on this issue (I don't have a man bun and I don't have a murse either for the record).
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

Just to be clear:

Yes. Fair enough. And I should state (at this time) that I might have reacted more harshly than I needed to.

I'll be honest... at my first encounters with you on this forum... I wasn't too sure of what to make of you. In time, I've come to appreciate you and where you have come from despite some differences we might have. I found it a bit surprising when you fired at me as you did because I had assumed this respect I speak of was mutual (which I think is).

And the beer drinking was for if you wanted to poke fun at me for being Canadian. The murse man bun was if you wanted to poke fun at me for being liberal on this issue (I don't have a man bun and I don't have a murse either for the record).
    Haha, I apologize for saying you were a liar about hunting. It was mostly in jest, but I would have not appreciated it if the tables were turned. I appreciate your input and existence on all accounts :)
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

1967 lol

But I feel 15 (on this message board I probably come across as 15 sometimes too lol)!
    Happy 50th bud!!! I'm ten years behind you.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

1967 lol

Happy 50th bud!!! I'm ten years behind you.
    Thanks whipper snipper.

I truly don't feel 50. I used to think of 50 year olds as old codgers. I literally feel 25-30. Except for some days.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

F**k off.

Just to be clear:

Haha, I apologize for saying you were a liar about hunting. It was mostly in jest, but I would have not appreciated it if the tables were turned. I appreciate your input and existence on all accounts :)
    hugs all around.

I have no man bun (male pattern baldness), but I do carry a murse. I prefer to call it a messenger bag. But I drink beer and straight whiskey, so fuck you all. :smiley:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    also, it's not just a regulation issue. it's a culture issue. if it were a regulation issue, we'd see the same type of shit happen in other places. we don't. people grow up believing the constitution is the Sacred Parchment written by the Chosen One (most people in Canada have no fucking clue what is in our constitution). It wasn't. it was written by men who had zero idea what to expect in the next hundreds of years. nor should they have.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2017

also, it's not just a regulation issue. it's a culture issue. if it were a regulation issue, we'd see the same type of shit happen in other places. we don't. people grow up believing the constitution is the Sacred Parchment written by the Chosen One (most people in Canada have no fucking clue what is in our constitution). It wasn't. it was written by men who had zero idea what to expect in the next hundreds of years. nor should they have.

Most Americans probably have no clue what is in our constitution either. Although our constitution is old and debatably outdated in many ways, it is the basis for all of our laws and rules. I do not know that chipping away at it is going to be the best approach in regards to changing the US operations and checks and balances. If one thinks it is okay to chip away at, my question would be "Who are you okay with changing the constitution, democrats or republicans?". Would now, with republicans taking over the government, be a good time to allow changes to the constitution, or do we wait until another party is in control? If you are only okay with liberal changes, then you are of a hypocrite mindset. I believe that much of the constitution was created to keep government and political parties in check and to ensure that the people, not the government, are in charge (for better or worse). In that regards, you are right, these current problems need to be faced as cultural and not regulatory. How do you change culture...education...war...? I, for one, prefer education!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Most Americans probably have no clue what is in our constitution either. Although our constitution is old and debatably outdated in many ways, it is the basis for all of our laws and rules. I do not know that chipping away at it is going to be the best approach in regards to changing the US operations and checks and balances. If one thinks it is okay to chip away at, my question would be "Who are you okay with changing the constitution, democrats or republicans?". Would now, with republicans taking over the government, be a good time to allow changes to the constitution, or do we wait until another party is in control? If you are only okay with liberal changes, then you are of a hypocrite mindset. I believe that much of the constitution was created to keep government and political parties in check and to ensure that the people, not the government, are in charge (for better or worse). In that regards, you are right, these current problems need to be faced as cultural and not regulatory. How do you change culture...education...war...? I, for one, prefer education!
    education
    mental health access
    background checks

and I would advocate getting rid of the more ridiculous types of firearms, but I know that's going to be met with paranoia and/or scorn, so I'll leave it at the top 3.

that's about all you can do.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2017
    These little bastards definitely make a case for hunting with semi-auto rifles (in Texas anyway). If you have ever been charged by one, you would understand!
    http://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas-parks-wildlife-department-speaks-feral-hog-problem/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=sendible&utm_term=mm&utm_campaign=mm
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

These little bastards definitely make a case for hunting with semi-auto rifles. If you have ever been charged by one, you would understand!
    http://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas-parks-wildlife-department-speaks-feral-hog-problem/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=sendible&utm_term=mm&utm_campaign=mm

You've said this before. Not having any experience whatsoever with the beasts... I can see it.

Remember... I have advocated for the restricted sale of hand guns. Only those that truly need one should own one. I would never want to deny an avid hunter additional protection.

These animals make a case for sidearms as well.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

These little bastards definitely make a case for hunting with semi-auto rifles. If you have ever been charged by one, you would understand!

You've said this before. Not having any experience whatsoever with the beasts... I can see it.

Remember... I have advocated for the restricted sale of hand guns. Only those that truly need one should own one. I would never want to deny an avid hunter additional protection.

Most wild animals will just run away if you are out deer hunting and stumble across them. These wild boars straight up get pissed off and charge you...and they are everywhere in TX. On one occasion I was out with only a compound bow and a knife and ran across about 10 of these suckas. Fortunately I was able to back away unnoticed, but many people haven't been so lucky.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Most wild animals will just run away if you are out deer hunting and stumble across them. These wild boars straight up get pissed off and charge you...and they are everywhere in TX. On one occasion I was out with only a compound bow and a knife and ran across about 10 of these suckas. Fortunately I was able to back away unnoticed, but many people haven't been so lucky.
    I should tell you of a story I have involving big horned sheep. I'm lucky to be here.

We need beer and time though to do it right.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I should tell you of a story I have involving big horned sheep. I'm lucky to be here.

For sure! Anyone that has spent a good amount of time out in the wild usually has some interesting experiences to share.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

For sure! Anyone that has spent a good amount of time out in the wild usually has some interesting experiences to share.
    This encounter wasn't on a hunting trip... it was on a hike (not a casual, little one... up a steep peak). I foolishly scaled a rock face instead of following the tried, tested and true path. My buddy didn't follow my recklessness and we agreed to meet at the top.

Realizing my error... I began to concern myself for my safety. Focused on every footing and handhold... heart racing... I began to climb off the face. Nearing the end of the treacherous route... I pulled myself up on to a ledge. It would have been about 30 feet wide and 10 feet deep.

As I pulled myself up on to it... there were about 15 sheep staring at me- motionless. Classic fight or flight mechanism wheels in place. Time was briefly suspended and I sat there going, "Holy f**k." The only way for me to retreat was to fall a long way. After about 5-8 seconds, a big male broke to the left and the herd followed it.

They were gone. And I cleaned out my drawers lol! I got to the top. My buddy and I had a few backgammon games and I counted my blessings. I could have been knocked off that ledge with a different temperament in that animal.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

This encounter wasn't on a hunting trip... it was on a hike (not a casual, little one... up a steep peak). I foolishly scaled a rock face instead of following the tried, tested and true path. My buddy didn't follow my recklessness and we agreed to meet at the top.

Realizing my error... I began to concern myself for my safety. Focused on every footing and handhold... heart racing... I began to climb off the face. Nearing the end of the treacherous route... I pulled myself up on to a ledge. It would have been about 30 feet wide and 10 feet deep.

As I pulled myself up on to it... there were about 15 sheep staring at me- motionless. Classic fight or flight mechanism wheels in place. Time was briefly suspended and I sat there going, "Holy f**k." The only way for me to retreat was to fall a long way. After about 5-8 seconds, a big male broke to the left and the herd followed it.

They were gone. And I cleaned out my drawers lol! I got to the top. My buddy and I had a few backgammon games and I counted my blessings. I could have been knocked off that ledge with a different temperament in that animal.
    and the DP thread would have had a much different feel to it. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

These little bastards definitely make a case for hunting with semi-auto rifles (in Texas anyway). If you have ever been charged by one, you would understand!

The problem I have with this is that folks like you love to talk about how different features don't make the weapon more dangerous or deadly for humans, but boars, well thats different.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

and the DP thread would have had a much different feel to it. :lol:
    Some other moron would have jumped in there I'm sure lol!
This discussion has been closed.