America's Gun Violence

Comments

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Sounds like a fun group.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    g under p said:

polaris_x said:

interesting stat ... 3% of americans own 50% of the firearms in the country ...

What, doesn't that mean that 3% individually own A LOT of guns.

Peace
    apparently only 22% of americans own guns ... the 3% who own the most guns own on average 17 guns each ...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    edited September 2016
    g under p said:

polaris_x said:

Peace
    That doesn't surprise me. From people I know it seems like some will own1 or 2 guns or a lot like 10+ guns. If 10 people own 1 gun and one person owns 10, you get pretty close to that 3% (more like 8 or 9 I think, but close).
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414
    polaris_x said:

g under p said:

polaris_x said:

Peace
    apparently only 22% of americans own guns ... the 3% who own the most guns own on average 17 guns each ...
    well they are concerned that 17 people might invade their house. not sure why they only think 17 might invade but i guess they have their reasons (insert sarcasm font here) for that.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    to a non gun collector that seems like a lot. but someone who like to go to the desert to target shoot may have 15-20 guns with different calibers, styles, etc. people who own that many don't buy them all for protection, its a hobby. Its like telling a stamp collector why do you need so many stamps? Its a hobby to some. Yes, I know stamps don't kill, no need to point that out.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    mace1229 said:

to a non gun collector that seems like a lot. but someone who like to go to the desert to target shoot may have 15-20 guns with different calibers, styles, etc. people who own that many don't buy them all for protection, its a hobby. Its like telling a stamp collector why do you need so many stamps? Its a hobby to some. Yes, I know stamps don't kill, no need to point that out.

i'd much prefer that number to be higher myself ... would prefer if 1% owned 75% of the guns ...
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    polaris_x said:

g under p said:

polaris_x said:

Peace
    Good start.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    are we talking registered owners ?

Godfather.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

unsung said:

Dude, he was a off duty cop. Duh!

That's going to be the reply, as stupid as it is. Always an excuse rather than admit the problem or solution.

Some of you really have no idea what it is like to be facing danger in the face. The fact that it was an off duty cop makes all the difference. I'd be willing to bet there were other CWP people in the area that were running and hiding
    sounds like you've looked danger in the face, let's hear about it.
    do you have a CWP ?
    I'd be willing to bet you don't even know what you're talking about, life if full of crazy experience's let's hear some of yours.

Godfather.

I am a gun owner, I am not a CWP carrier.

Can I just say that I was an assistant chief in the fire department for 15 years? Or would you like to hear about all the times I ran into a place people were running out of? Pm me, I've got many stories.
    if what you say is true then please accept my apologies, but yes sometime I'd like to hear some stories.

Godfather.

Ask around, people here know who I am. Shoot me a pm.
    Off topic, but it just clicked for me who you are (I think). Welcome back.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
  • School shooting today in South Carolina I'm on phone can't get link to post ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    www.cnn.com
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,866
    Did anyone post about that disgruntled lawyer who went nuts down in Houston on the weekend yet? Shooting spree aimed at random cars, injured 9. 50+ rounds fired. Used two legally purchased firearms including a tommy gun. Had 2500 rounds of ammo.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Did anyone post about that disgruntled lawyer who went nuts down in Houston on the weekend yet? Shooting spree aimed at random cars, injured 9. 50+ rounds fired. Used two legally purchased firearms including a tommy gun. Had 2500 rounds of ammo.

and yet I can't buy a box of Mucinex-D (like 12 tablets) without proving I haven't bought a box in the last 30 days
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    It's a brutal profeshy, lol
    PJ_Soul said:

• dignin said:

unsung said:

Dude, he was a off duty cop. Duh!

That's going to be the reply, as stupid as it is. Always an excuse rather than admit the problem or solution.

Some of you really have no idea what it is like to be facing danger in the face. The fact that it was an off duty cop makes all the difference. I'd be willing to bet there were other CWP people in the area that were running and hiding
    sounds like you've looked danger in the face, let's hear about it.
    do you have a CWP ?
    I'd be willing to bet you don't even know what you're talking about, life if full of crazy experience's let's hear some of yours.

Godfather.

I am a gun owner, I am not a CWP carrier.

Can I just say that I was an assistant chief in the fire department for 15 years? Or would you like to hear about all the times I ran into a place people were running out of? Pm me, I've got many stories.
    if what you say is true then please accept my apologies, but yes sometime I'd like to hear some stories.

Godfather.

Ask around, people here know who I am. Shoot me a pm.
    Off topic, but it just clicked for me who you are (I think). Welcome back.
    :wink:
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Do you know how much safer it is in australia that our gun laws have put us in this predicament ?? aside from physical violence and knives or objects we all sleep better at night than you americans and we dont need a gun at night to feel safe bc here a bat does just fine
    and shootouts are unheard of unless its terrorism and murders are rarely done by guns no even suicide and our laws are strict and i dont know why but gun owners here for some reason are much more responsible and there are not too many owners, people here are more knife friendly sad to say but better than gun friendly.. we are really at peace compared to you lot and if we ever get like you im moving on out i dont want my kids or me in that environment, i rather live with the eskimods lol
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

nazi lawyer apparently
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZYjgicQOJU

everybody needs to see this.

Godfather.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476

Godfather.

no, we don't. it's hogwash. comparing wanting stricter gun laws has zero in common with Hitler disarming the public. again and again and again.....no one is advocating making all guns illegal.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

Godfather.

no, we don't. it's hogwash. comparing wanting stricter gun laws has zero in common with Hitler disarming the public. again and again and again.....no one is advocating making all guns illegal.
    "No one" is an not a true statement. That sentiment has been floated around the AMT a few times and I posted quotes in another thread where this argument came up. Not going to go digging around again, but maybe the more true statement would be ""most" people supporting gun control do not advocate making all guns illegal." One could also say that "some" advocate making "most" or "all" guns illegal and it would be a much more valid statement. Better to stay away from indefinite pronouns when making arguments as they can be easily contradicted by finding only one or two examples to the contrary. Just one of my grammar pet peeves, haha
    PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

"No one" is an not a true statement. That sentiment has been floated around the AMT a few times and I posted quotes in another thread where this argument came up. Not going to go digging around again, but maybe the more true statement would be ""most" people supporting gun control do not advocate making all guns illegal." One could also say that "some" advocate making "most" or "all" guns illegal and it would be a much more valid statement. Better to stay away from indefinite pronouns when making arguments as they can be easily contradicted by finding only one or two examples to the contrary. Just one of my grammar pet peeves, haha
    fine...."most".

www.headstonesband.com

Godfather.

listen to the whole thing if you haven't, the people were given many things and it was easier to take things away from them and all those things taken away gave Hitler a tighter grip and eventually led to what happened in the end, the Holocaust.

Godfather.

Godfather.

listen to the whole thing if you haven't, the people were given many things and it was easier to take things away from them and all those things taken away gave Hitler a tighter grip and eventually led to what happened in the end, the Holocaust.

Godfather.

this argument has been made by the pro-gun crowd ad nauseum. it's nonsense.

www.headstonesband.com

so you don't believe we could lose our gun's ? just a few right..... losing any gun rights is too many.

Godfather.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,414

so you don't believe we could lose our gun's ? just a few right..... losing any gun rights is too many.

Godfather.

we can't get even a little reform of the gun laws through yet you gun nuts think somehow someone is going to take them all away. insane.

Godfather.

nope. not going to happen. the thing you and many others don't seem to understand is that simply having tighter resctrictions on obtaining guns, making it safer for everyone, has nothing to do with losing any rights. your right to own a firearm is not being infringed upon.

www.headstonesband.com

no different than having to register to vote. is that taking away your right to vote? nope. can you vote out in public or in your backyard? nope. you have to go to a designated spot to do so. you still have the right to vote, but since you can't write your vote down on a piece of gum, is that taking away your rights? nope. you have the right to do it the way it works for everyone involved.

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.