America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,866
    edited September 2016
    FWIW, there are plenty of failed suicide-by-gun attempts. It is definitely not a failure-proof method, and more often than not, when it is a failure it results in profound disability and pain.
    Very glad you're still with us benjs.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    PJ_Soul said:

FWIW, there are plenty of failed suicide-by-gun attempts. It is definitely not a failure-proof method, and more often than not, when it is a failure it results in profound disability and pain.

Thanks PJ_Soul. And I'm aware of the horrendous outcome potential now. Unfortunately, depression has a tendency to strip a person of their ability to make good, logic-based decisions (based on knowing several people with depression - some who have struggled, some who do struggle, and one who lost the struggle).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks PJ_Soul. And I'm aware of the horrendous outcome potential now. Unfortunately, depression has a tendency to strip a person of their ability to make good, logic-based decisions (based on knowing several people with depression - some who have struggled, some who do struggle, and one who lost the struggle).
    Depression is very real, benjs. As you can testify to.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    unsung said:

I'm always carrying, and I avoid crowds and seem to be much more aware of my surroundings.

Much more awareof your surroundings than who?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476
    mcgruff10 said:

question for you anti gunners: do you guys fear for your life when you are in public because of the fact that there are so many guns in the usa?
    question for my canadian friends: do you fear coming to the united states because of our lax gun laws?
    honest question here guys.

Honestly, when the incident in France happened, that was the first time it made me consider my entertainment options, because I go to so many concerts. But that subsided.
    No, I do not worry about traveling to the US. It honestly doesn't really enter my mind. Although, the furthest I go is generally just North Dakota, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. It might cross my mind if I ever considered Detroit or Chicago. I live in Winnipeg, which is the murder capital of Canada, and I don't avoid downtown at night. Most crimes of violence are, as we all know, domestic or at least between people who know each other.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

I'm always carrying, and I avoid crowds and seem to be much more aware of my surroundings.

Much more awareof your surroundings than who?
    Then if I weren't.
    Dude, he was a off duty cop. Duh!

That's going to be the reply, as stupid as it is. Always an excuse rather than admit the problem or solution.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2016
    unsung said:

That's going to be the reply, as stupid as it is. Always an excuse rather than admit the problem or solution.

lol, I know! I've said it time and time again, just because their job is "police officer" does not mean that they are highly proficient with their guns. Most just meet the minimum requirements to qualify to carry that gun another year. This guy went the extra mile. If you really want to see some trained proficient individuals (mostly citizens), go to a 3-gun competition or IDPA shooting competition. Individuals that participate practice to shoot very accurately while experiencing high stress and fatigue.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,381
    are off duty cops required to carry their firearms?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Nope, nor are concealed carry permit holders...
  • PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

But this will be a requirement if Bumnugent gets his way.
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

Is that one of his initiatives? I mostly ignore him as I do most celebrities that try to push policies. It seems that those who speak the loudest are the ones that should be most ignored in the current state of affairs. I don't believe it should be law, but I do think that someone trained has somewhat of a moral obligation to help others in the specific manner in which they were trained, much like a doctor choosing whether or not to help a random person having a heart attack (although there may actually be some ethical laws tied there, but you see what I mean).
  • unsung said:

Some of you really have no idea what it is like to be facing danger in the face. The fact that it was an off duty cop makes all the difference. I'd be willing to bet there were other CWP people in the area that were running and hiding
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    edited September 2016

unsung said:

Some of you really have no idea what it is like to be facing danger in the face. The fact that it was an off duty cop makes all the difference. I'd be willing to bet there were other CWP people in the area that were running and hiding
    That's quite the assumption... Fact is, psychology, people react to danger of different ways. In some of the mass school shootings, there were those that "froze" when the shooter entered a classroom and there were some that charged at the shooter absorbing bullets. They were not off duty cops, but what many refer to as "sheepdogs", people who instinctually are leaders and are willing to fight. The fact that he was an off duty cop may or may not make some difference. The fact that he used his spare time to become trained and proficient makes all the difference in the world.
    And who cares if there were some running and hiding? Maybe they were helping others run and hide too. Knowing your exits and how to get away or where best to hide is great survival skill too, the ones I would be concerned with would be those still staring at their phones in a state of shock while this is going down. I'm willing to bet that if there were CWP holders and they were cornered while hiding, they would have dropped this sack of shit too.
  • PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

That's quite the assumption... Fact is, psychology, people react to danger of different ways. In some of the mass school shootings, there were those that "froze" when the shooter entered a classroom and there were some that charged at the shooter absorbing bullets. The fact that he was an off duty cop does not make any difference. The fact that he used his spare time to become trained and proficient makes all the difference in the world.
    That's incredibly naive of you to think that. You assume if that off duty cop wasn't there, another CWP hero steps in and saves the day?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

unsung said:

sounds like you've looked danger in the face, let's hear about it.
    do you have a CWP ?
    I'd be willing to bet you don't even know what you're talking about, life if full of crazy experience's let's hear some of yours.

Godfather.

• unsung said:

do you have a CWP ?
    I'd be willing to bet you don't even know what you're talking about, life if full of crazy experience's let's hear some of yours.

Godfather.

I am a gun owner, I am not a CWP carrier.

Can I just say that I was an assistant chief in the fire department for 15 years? Or would you like to hear about all the times I ran into a place people were running out of? Pm me, I've got many stories.
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

That's quite the assumption... Fact is, psychology, people react to danger of different ways. In some of the mass school shootings, there were those that "froze" when the shooter entered a classroom and there were some that charged at the shooter absorbing bullets. The fact that he was an off duty cop does not make any difference. The fact that he used his spare time to become trained and proficient makes all the difference in the world.
    That's incredibly naive of you to think that. You assume if that off duty cop wasn't there, another CWP hero steps in and saves the day?
    It's happened, there was actually a recent publicized event where a CCW carrier saved a cops life by stepping in. You are naive in stating that a CWP holder could not have stepped in and saved the day. It boils down to a person being in the right place at the right time and having the means to stop the shitbag.
    Here are just a few random exames:
    http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/03/10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter/#10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter-2

unsung said:

do you have a CWP ?

Godfather.

Can I just say that I was an assistant chief in the fire department for 15 years? Or would you like to hear about all the times I ran into a place people were running out of? Pm me, I've got many stories.
    if what you say is true then please accept my apologies, but yes sometime I'd like to hear some stories.

Godfather.

• unsung said:

do you have a CWP ?

Godfather.

if what you say is true then please accept my apologies, but yes sometime I'd like to hear some stories.

Godfather.

Ask around, people here know who I am. Shoot me a pm.
  • unsung said:

Running and hiding is completely acceptable if you are not in the direct line of fire. In fact many training courses suggest that to be your first train of thought. The end goal is 1) stay alive 2) help if possible
    First thing I'd do is find the exit. I usually know where they are at all times.
  • unsung said:

Running and hiding is completely acceptable if you are not in the direct line of fire. In fact many training courses suggest that to be your first train of thought. The end goal is 1) stay alive 2) help if possible
    Absolutely. I do not disagree with that. It's also not what I'm saying.
  • unsung said:

Absolutely. I do not disagree with that. It's also not what I'm saying.
    Right on and on a side note thank you for your service

unsung said:

do you have a CWP ?

Godfather.

Godfather.

Ask around, people here know who I am. Shoot me a pm.
    thanks' !

Godfather.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,381
    More on the cop who came to the rescue in Minnesota:
    USPSA Shooter, 3-Gunner, and NRA-certified firearms instructor Jason Falconer has been identified as the man who shot and killed a 22-year-old Somali immigrant who went on a stabbing rampage inside a St. Cloud, (MN) Mall on Saturday.

The apparent terrorist—who apparently asked victims if they were Muslims before stabbing them—was engaged by Falconer inside the mall.

Falconer is the president and owner of Tactical Advantage LLC, a shooting range and tactical training facility with a strong focus on arming concealed carriers. He’s also a former chief of the Albany (MN) police department, and he remains a part-time officer.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:

More on the cop who came to the rescue in Minnesota:
    USPSA Shooter, 3-Gunner, and NRA-certified firearms instructor Jason Falconer has been identified as the man who shot and killed a 22-year-old Somali immigrant who went on a stabbing rampage inside a St. Cloud, (MN) Mall on Saturday.

The apparent terrorist—who apparently asked victims if they were Muslims before stabbing them—was engaged by Falconer inside the mall.

Falconer is the president and owner of Tactical Advantage LLC, a shooting range and tactical training facility with a strong focus on arming concealed carriers. He’s also a former chief of the Albany (MN) police department, and he remains a part-time officer.

Hey man nice shot!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    interesting stat ... 3% of americans own 50% of the firearms in the country ...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    polaris_x said:

interesting stat ... 3% of americans own 50% of the firearms in the country ...

What, doesn't that mean that 3% individually own A LOT of guns.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

This discussion has been closed.