America's Gun Violence

Comments

• This thread has fallen off the deep end. What gets me is I would bet a lot of the anti gunners out there that have never served their country in the military or law enforcement. Have never been a victim of violent crime when a gun or other weapon was used. They have no problem sleeping soundly at night when it was a gun or another destructive device that brought upon and continues to secure that freedom. They refuse to acknowledge that numbers that show that way more crimes are prevented by firearms then committed by firearms or the fact that countries that have instituted gun bans or very restrictive gun laws have seen an increase in violent crime and home invasions. Then they want to jump on the AR15 or the AK47 because they look scary or because their misguided thought pattern makes them believe they are military grade weapons. Um no their not. There are several variations of rifles that shoot the exact same cartridge but has wood furniture but nothing is said about those rifles. No one brings up a 50 caliber rifle. Much more destructive and deadly. Let's outlaw the Ford F-150 but let the semi trucks run free. People step outside your safety box that you've enjoyed because of firearms and educate yourselves on reality.

I'd bet you're wrong.

Where are the numbers in regards to crimes being prevented by guns?
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/15941-cdc-study-ordered-by-obama-contradicts-white-house-anti-gun-narrative

Educate yourself
    That link proves nothing. The "statistics" cited aren't backed up by anything. Plus it doesn't show that guns prevent crime.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • This thread has fallen off the deep end. What gets me is I would bet a lot of the anti gunners out there that have never served their country in the military or law enforcement. Have never been a victim of violent crime when a gun or other weapon was used. They have no problem sleeping soundly at night when it was a gun or another destructive device that brought upon and continues to secure that freedom. They refuse to acknowledge that numbers that show that way more crimes are prevented by firearms then committed by firearms or the fact that countries that have instituted gun bans or very restrictive gun laws have seen an increase in violent crime and home invasions. Then they want to jump on the AR15 or the AK47 because they look scary or because their misguided thought pattern makes them believe they are military grade weapons. Um no their not. There are several variations of rifles that shoot the exact same cartridge but has wood furniture but nothing is said about those rifles. No one brings up a 50 caliber rifle. Much more destructive and deadly. Let's outlaw the Ford F-150 but let the semi trucks run free. People step outside your safety box that you've enjoyed because of firearms and educate yourselves on reality.

You are wrong with regards to your assertion about gun laws and restrictions resulting in an increase in violent crime and home invasions.

Really wrong.
    http://www.mintpressnews.com/the-facts-that-neither-side-wants-to-admit-about-gun-control/207152/

Educate yourself
    Since the Port Arthur massacre (the catalyst for change in Australia)... "The number of Australia's mass shootings dropped from 11 in the decade before 1996, to zero in the years since."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35048251

The extreme and its effectiveness: "Gun-control advocates regularly cite Japan’s highly restrictive firearm regulations in tandem with its extraordinarily low gun-homicide rate, which is the lowest in the world at one in 10 million, according to the latest data available. Most guns are illegal in the country and ownership rates, which are quite small, reflect this."

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/01/worldwide-gun-control-policy/423711/

The UK's gun laws are a matter for debate, but the link you offered only speaks to the side of the issue which pleases you. In short, more brainwashing versus an unbiased piece open to critical interpretation. One thing can be said about the UK: "The gun homicide rate in England and Whales is about one for every 1 million people, according to the Geneva Declaration of Armed Violence and Development, a multinational organization based in Switzerland.
    In a population of 56 million, that adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually. In the USA, by contrast, there are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. There were 8,124 gun homicides in 2014, according to the latest FBI figures."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/06/16/gun-violence-united-kingdom-united-states/85994716/

Canada's has been effective as well... except we've lapsed a bit and to boot... we have a smuggling problem from the wild west (your country).

But I'm done here. You failed. Nice try.

Edited to add last link.
    Good deflection but the specific narrative that was questioned is not addressed in this.

I'd bet you're wrong.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/15941-cdc-study-ordered-by-obama-contradicts-white-house-anti-gun-narrative

Educate yourself
    That link proves nothing. The "statistics" cited aren't backed up by anything. Plus it doesn't show that guns prevent crime.
    Ok then go read the whole CDC study. But it seems the anti gunners become illiterate when it comes to reading studies that don't support their rainbows and butterfly filled world.

You are wrong with regards to your assertion about gun laws and restrictions resulting in an increase in violent crime and home invasions.

Really wrong.
    http://www.mintpressnews.com/the-facts-that-neither-side-wants-to-admit-about-gun-control/207152/

Educate yourself
    Since the Port Arthur massacre (the catalyst for change in Australia)... "The number of Australia's mass shootings dropped from 11 in the decade before 1996, to zero in the years since."

The extreme and its effectiveness: "Gun-control advocates regularly cite Japan’s highly restrictive firearm regulations in tandem with its extraordinarily low gun-homicide rate, which is the lowest in the world at one in 10 million, according to the latest data available. Most guns are illegal in the country and ownership rates, which are quite small, reflect this."

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/01/worldwide-gun-control-policy/423711/

The UK's gun laws are a matter for debate, but the link you offered only speaks to the side of the issue which pleases you. In short, more brainwashing versus an unbiased piece open to critical interpretation. One thing can be said about the UK: "The gun homicide rate in England and Whales is about one for every 1 million people, according to the Geneva Declaration of Armed Violence and Development, a multinational organization based in Switzerland.
    In a population of 56 million, that adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually. In the USA, by contrast, there are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. There were 8,124 gun homicides in 2014, according to the latest FBI figures."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/06/16/gun-violence-united-kingdom-united-states/85994716/

Canada's has been effective as well... except we've lapsed a bit and to boot... we have a smuggling problem from the wild west (your country).

Edited to add last link.
    Good deflection but the specific narrative that was questioned is not addressed in this.
    Lol

A double fail.

Have you been sniffing gunpowder?
    "My brain's a good brain!"

I'd bet you're wrong.

Educate yourself
    Ok then go read the whole CDC study. But it seems the anti gunners become illiterate when it comes to reading studies that don't support their rainbows and butterfly filled world.
    I read the study. It doesn't claim more guns reduce crime. It does however, say this:

Of 28,663 firearms-related deaths in 2000 --- an average of 79 per day---16,586 (57.9%) were suicides, 10,801 (37.7%) were homicides, 776 (2.7%) were unintentional, and an additional 500 (1.7%) were legal interventions or of undetermined intent.

An estimated 24.3% of the 1,430,693 violent crimes (murder, aggravated assault, rape, and robbery) committed in the United States in 1999 were committed with a firearm (2). In the early 1990s, rates of firearms-related homicide, suicide, and unintentional death in the United States exceeded those of 25 other high-income nations (i.e., 1992 gross national product US $8,356 per capita) for which data are available (3). In 1994, the estimated lifetime medical cost of all firearms injuries in the United States was $2.3 billion (4).

Really wrong.

Educate yourself

Edited to add last link.
    Lol

A double fail.

http://crimeresearch.org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/

Don't know if you can read this since it doesn't demonize the scary guns

I'd bet you're wrong.

Educate yourself
    I read the study. It doesn't claim more guns reduce crime. It does however, say this:

Of 28,663 firearms-related deaths in 2000 --- an average of 79 per day---16,586 (57.9%) were suicides, 10,801 (37.7%) were homicides, 776 (2.7%) were unintentional, and an additional 500 (1.7%) were legal interventions or of undetermined intent.

An estimated 24.3% of the 1,430,693 violent crimes (murder, aggravated assault, rape, and robbery) committed in the United States in 1999 were committed with a firearm (2). In the early 1990s, rates of firearms-related homicide, suicide, and unintentional death in the United States exceeded those of 25 other high-income nations (i.e., 1992 gross national product US $8,356 per capita) for which data are available (3). In 1994, the estimated lifetime medical cost of all firearms injuries in the United States was $2.3 billion (4).
    Again just reading what you want to read or unable to read what you don't like, either way

“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/politics/cdc-gun-research-backfires-on-obama/#ixzz4KZFth89q
  • Found a statistic for the anti gunners that is irrefutable. People who breath are 100% more likely to use a firearm in a crime than those who do not breath air.

Really wrong.

Educate yourself

Edited to add last link.
    Lol

A double fail.

http://crimeresearch.org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/

Don't know if you can read this since it doesn't demonize the scary guns
    I'm not bothering.

You tossed up some sloppy link that stated: "Gun control has no significant impact on murder rates."

It stated this right after it tried to manipulate thought process towards statistics.

It then went on to scare the shit out of the paranoid ones stating: "Why would the governments of these nations want a disarmed populace? For the answer, it is best to look at a nation that has had long-time gun bans that is currently relaxing their laws. Russia recently relaxed its firearms laws. For the first time in recent memory, a Russian citizen can carry a firearm. The prohibited items speak volumes about what a government’s motive behind disarming the population is. Russia has allowed “smoothbore long barrelled guns, pistols, revolvers, and other firearms, as well as Tasers, and devices equipped with teargas.” That’s almost everything, what is still banned? Rifles. So the Russian government has made it clear that the real objective is to remove rifles from civilian hands. The reasoning is pretty clear: you need rifles to overthrow a government."

I replied with an effort to help you understand that the premise of your piece was flawed- with a more accurate portrayal of what gun legislation has achieved in other developed countries. But I've done this dance a few times. I don't care to do it again: if I've learned anything... once someone's mindset has been established... it is hard to try and help them see things differently. I mean, there are people that think there is a big, nice man-like entity who has a lavish place where he hosts people after they die for eternity.

Crazy, eh?
  • Found a statistic for the anti gunners that is irrefutable. People who breath are 100% more likely to use a firearm in a crime than those who do not breath air.

Gee. Never thought about it this way. I guess you win.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

benjs said:

what I thought...you can't, a gun is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's don't think for themselves.

Godfather.

what you thought? you didn't give me anything to disprove. that was my point.

a gun is used for many reasons? like to open a bottle of beer? or to help you find your keys? what uses does this "tool" have other than to shoot at things living or inanimate?
    be a hell of a bottle opener LOL !
    believe it or not there are some guns collected that never get used, just owning them and collecting them brings satisfaction it's like collecting anything else old records, knives, art, etc.
    just because a small percentage of this country dislikes guns means nothing to me and a lot of other people, the anti gun crowd love throwing around drummed up "facts" and posting and re-posting gun related crimes and as silly as the outlaw car's argument sounds they do kill more people than guns and for you climate change believers what does a car's emissions do to future life and health ? ...I don't believe it either lol ! anyway a gun a car or a hammer are only as dangerous as the person using it.
    also drug and alcohol related deaths far exceed gun deaths but some of the same anti gun folks would like to legalize drugs...now that's just illegal drugs what about prescription or prescribed drugs ? or alcohol poisoning or drunk driver related deaths ? our society seems to be fine with these things, prescribed drugs flood the market with little long term effects and even short term effects and many are sold knowing full well that they are addicting (Xanax, oxycotton, etc) so in my opinion a gun debate is meaningless if one is going to use death toll's and accidents when there are other things just as dangerous and more readily available to the general public.

Godfather.

So, what if I wanted to collect nuclear warheads? Just owning them and collecting them brings me satisfaction! It's no different than old records.

I think you're mistaken in thinking that people don't like guns just because people don't like guns. People don't guns because people don't like murder, and the statistical facts show that the more guns in a society, the more murder in a society, both by volume and per capita (and don't put facts in quotations like they're some fictional story - you can ignore facts as long as you'd like, but they're still facts, and not your romantic view of them).

Guns - primary use case: to wield power by fear of and facilitation of injury or death.
    Cars - primary use case: to move people between various geographic locations when walking is impermissible
    Hammers - primary use case: in conjunction with nails, to construct (and on occasion, to crucify)
    Drugs and alcohol - I agree we should do a better job of restricting these, especially the ones with addictive properties. Instead of saying that gun debate is meaningless because of rampant drug and alcohol abuse, I'd say that gun debate is meaningful in addition to issues surrounding rampant drug and alcohol abuse.
    . ....wrong, your also adding self defense deaths as well and that's not murder.
    most of the "facts" about guns are a fictional story told by anti gun folks, what ever you dig up on the internet I can probably find something on the internet to counter it but what would be the point you will believe what you will as will I.

Godfather.

so more guns equals less death in your eyes? your murder rate by use of guns per capita tells a wildly different story. it is indisputable. but hey, "facts" and "science" are just things used by nerds to "prove" things.

everyone else can just wipe their ass and tell a story from it.

MOST of the facts on this topic spewed by anti gun folks are not fact at all.....as I've said before for every fact you post from the internet I can find one to counter it.

Godfather.

Yah but the ones you find don't make any sense though. Right?
    ? lost me on that one Amigo, but then again most facts posted by anti gun folks on here make no sense to me.
    the right thing to do would be this, if a person don't like guns then they are 100% within their rights not to buy any.
    problem solved.

Godfather.

Interesting. So the problem of getting mowed down by a gun happy fucktard is solved by me not owning one? Your deductive reasoning is impeccable.

yes sir you're right, my deductive reasoning is based on the belief that I have the right as a human being and American to protect myself and my family (and others).

Godfather.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    question for you anti gunners: do you guys fear for your life when you are in public because of the fact that there are so many guns in the usa?
    question for my canadian friends: do you fear coming to the united states because of our lax gun laws?
    honest question here guys.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

question for you anti gunners: do you guys fear for your life when you are in public because of the fact that there are so many guns in the usa?
    question for my canadian friends: do you fear coming to the united states because of our lax gun laws?

I worry a little bit about road rage incidents. I don't spend much time in crowds and most people are shot by somebody they know anyways. Road rage is the one that can get anybody, oops I cut a guy off, damn, now he's shooting at me!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    edited September 2016
    I'm always carrying, and I avoid crowds and seem to be much more aware of my surroundings.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I fear the cops a little bit, I only know 1 person who has had a gun pointed at them in threat of violence and it was an officer holding the gun.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I worry a little bit about road rage incidents. I don't spend much time in crowds and most people are shot by somebody they know anyways. Road rage is the one that can get anybody, oops I cut a guy off, damn, now he's shooting at me!
    Yeah road rage is a legit concern. Thanks for the reply bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    unsung said:

I'm always carrying, and I avoid crowds and seem to be much more aware of my surroundings.

same here.

Godfather.

• mcgruff10 said:

No
  • mcgruff10 said:

No.

But I mind my own business and don't play games on the road with other people. We have the discussion every time: I tell my son, "Dont get into it with any Yahoo down here, son. You never know who you're dealing with and they carry guns. You piss someone off and they might just shoot you."

But that conversation alone is where I come from in this argument. I don't know if they even have a statistic for it, but I can recall numerous stories where a petty argument turns into a lethal encounter because someone gets mad and shoots someone. If they had 30 minutes to walk away... they wouldn't have gone home to get their shotgun that they have for self defence. They'd have thought better.

Same with suicides. The US suicide rate is much higher than other developed countries because of the finality guns yield. You can wake up in a hospital bed after swallowing a bottle of pills, but you can't after swallowing a bullet. If people become anxious and entertain the thought of ending things... f**k... I hope there's not a gun there in their moment of despair. The sun always comes out from behind the clouds.

People do dumb things. I don't care if gang bangers kill each other- they're just doing business. I care about your average joe that exhibits a momentary lapse of reason.

One solution that keeps coming up is more guns. The other solution- quite naturally- is fewer guns. If there were no guns at all... would you have any gun homicides?
  • Just don't ban scruffy's or unsung's guns. When the aliens come they are going to get them for us!
  • GF would try and help... except he'd have his damn gun facing the wrong way with his thumb on the trigger.

Just don't ban scruffy's or unsung's guns. When the aliens come they are going to get them for us!

Or the radical muslims. Better face reality.
  • Or the birds. Don't forget the birds.
  • Or the birds. Don't forget the birds.

I find when you're being attacked by birds... if you get both arms swinging really fast in a windmill fashion... the birds just want nothing to do with you. They just take off.
  • unsung said:

Just don't ban scruffy's or unsung's guns. When the aliens come they are going to get them for us!

I was kidding, Unsung.

unsung said:

I was kidding, Unsung.
    I know, but reality says we need to be vigilant.
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 436
    unsung said:

Well, since 9/11, about 100 Americans have been killed due to radical muslims on US soil. During that same time period, approximately 180,000 people have died by guns. Annually, per the CDC, we have over 30,000 deaths by vehicle and over 30,000 deaths by accidental poisoning. So the reality is, I'm not worried about Islamic terrorism whatsoever. I'm more likely to die getting a tainted taco from Taco Bell...or in a car crash on the way to get it...or in a road rage incident from some guy carrying a gun for protection who perceives I cut him off.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,869
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, I love going to the States, but I am a little fearful of the guns. It's really shocking to be driving around and seeing all those gun stores, and to see the guns in a Walmart. It makes me feel a little nervous. The real prevalence of guns in the US is really obvious to an outsider. I think what Americans are just used to and don't even think about still kind of bonks foreigners over the head when they see it. Or at least me and my friends and family. We always end up commenting on it when we're south of the border. We never get used to it, and for me there are ubiquitous reminders down there that people are packing, which is a bit unsettling if you let yourself think about it too much. I do find making myself not think about it too much and enjoy my trips down there because I'm not paranoid, but it's not like the gun problem in the US is unnoticeable.
    And FWIW, I was actually specifically concerned about going to Chicago, with all that gun violence and I was reading about muggings of tourists and shit, along with crossfire deaths. Of course it was fine, but I was conscious of the situation to say the least.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • seanwon said:

unsung said:

Well, since 9/11, about 100 Americans have been killed due to radical muslims on US soil. During that same time period, approximately 180,000 people have died by guns. Annually, per the CDC, we have over 30,000 deaths by vehicle and over 30,000 deaths by accidental poisoning. So the reality is, I'm not worried about Islamic terrorism whatsoever. I'm more likely to die getting a tainted taco from Taco Bell...or in a car crash on the way to get it...or in a road rage incident from some guy carrying a gun for protection who perceives I cut him off.

Oh no, that's not the point radical Muslims are everywhere. Don't you know that?
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096

mcgruff10 said:

No.

But I mind my own business and don't play games on the road with other people. We have the discussion every time: I tell my son, "Dont get into it with any Yahoo down here, son. You never know who you're dealing with and they carry guns. You piss someone off and they might just shoot you."

But that conversation alone is where I come from in this argument. I don't know if they even have a statistic for it, but I can recall numerous stories where a petty argument turns into a lethal encounter because someone gets mad and shoots someone. If they had 30 minutes to walk away... they wouldn't have gone home to get their shotgun that they have for self defence. They'd have thought better.

Same with suicides. The US suicide rate is much higher than other developed countries because of the finality guns yield. You can wake up in a hospital bed after swallowing a bottle of pills, but you can't after swallowing a bullet. If people become anxious and entertain the thought of ending things... f**k... I hope there's not a gun there in their moment of despair. The sun always comes out from behind the clouds.

People do dumb things. I don't care if gang bangers kill each other- they're just doing business. I care about your average joe that exhibits a momentary lapse of reason.

One solution that keeps coming up is more guns. The other solution- quite naturally- is fewer guns. If there were no guns at all... would you have any gun homicides?
    I can relate to your point about the finality of a gunshot-induced suicide personally, but from a different angle. When I went through my depression, I remember daydreaming about taking that step onto the subway tracks, but I'd think about laying there, and the fear I perceived I would have after the point-of-no-return was something I couldn't brace myself for. Same thing with jumping out of windows in tall buildings. The idea of a gun-induced suicide seemed like an immediate, effortless, painless, and failure-proof option - but I don't know a soul who owns a gun thankfully, so the option of obtaining one for that purpose was not there. Had there been one convenient (i.e. in my family household), I honestly can't say what would've happened. For the record, the worst of the suicidal thoughts came when I was around 17-18.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
This discussion has been closed.