America's Gun Violence

Comments

• what I thought...you can't, a gun is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's don't think for themselves.

Godfather.

So...there should be mandatory extensive mental health testing before one is able to obtain a gun? Interesting, godfather..
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    edited September 2016

gun's don't think for themselves.

Same could be said for the 3%, the Oath Keepers, the Tea Party, Preppers, the Michigan Militia, the Klan, etc. These morons have no place in modern society. Unfortunately, you can't outlaw stupidity.
    Post edited by CM189191 on
  • what I thought...you can't, a gun is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's don't think for themselves.

Godfather.

Correct.

Fools do. And that's the problem.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477

what I thought...you can't, a gun is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's don't think for themselves.

Godfather.

what you thought? you didn't give me anything to disprove. that was my point.

a gun is used for many reasons? like to open a bottle of beer? or to help you find your keys? what uses does this "tool" have other than to shoot at things living or inanimate?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Let's see, add 9, carry the 1, multiply by pi

what I thought...you can't, a gun an alcoholic beverage is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's alcoholic beverages don't think for themselves.

Or how about:

what I thought...you can't, a gun slave is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's slaves don't think for themselves.

But hey, you know, Constitutional Amendments, how do they work?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

what I thought...you can't, a gun is a tool used for many reasons how it is used is dependent on who is using it and what circumstances they may be involved in......shocker !!!!!! gun's don't think for themselves.

Godfather.

a gun is used for many reasons? like to open a bottle of beer? or to help you find your keys? what uses does this "tool" have other than to shoot at things living or inanimate?
    If it's a Hi-Point, I hear they make good paperweights, lol
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

be a hell of a bottle opener LOL !
    believe it or not there are some guns collected that never get used, just owning them and collecting them brings satisfaction it's like collecting anything else old records, knives, art, etc.
    just because a small percentage of this country dislikes guns means nothing to me and a lot of other people, the anti gun crowd love throwing around drummed up "facts" and posting and re-posting gun related crimes and as silly as the outlaw car's argument sounds they do kill more people than guns and for you climate change believers what does a car's emissions do to future life and health ? ...I don't believe it either lol ! anyway a gun a car or a hammer are only as dangerous as the person using it.
    also drug and alcohol related deaths far exceed gun deaths but some of the same anti gun folks would like to legalize drugs...now that's just illegal drugs what about prescription or prescribed drugs ? or alcohol poisoning or drunk driver related deaths ? our society seems to be fine with these things, prescribed drugs flood the market with little long term effects and even short term effects and many are sold knowing full well that they are addicting (Xanax, oxycotton, etc) so in my opinion a gun debate is meaningless if one is going to use death toll's and accidents when there are other things just as dangerous and more readily available to the general public.

Godfather.

Post edited by Godfather. on
  • Oxycontin, gf.

Godfather.

believe it or not there are some guns collected that never get used, just owning them and collecting them brings satisfaction it's like collecting anything else old records, knives, art, etc.
    just because a small percentage of this country dislikes guns means nothing to me and a lot of other people, the anti gun crowd love throwing around drummed up "facts" and posting and re-posting gun related crimes and as silly as the outlaw car's argument sounds they do kill more people than guns and for you climate change believers what does a car's emissions do to future life and health ? ...I don't believe it either lol ! anyway a gun a car or a hammer are only as dangerous as the person using it.
    also drug and alcohol related deaths far exceed gun deaths but some of the same anti gun folks would like to legalize drugs...now that's just illegal drugs what about prescription or prescribed drugs ? or alcohol poisoning or drunk driver related deaths ? our society seems to be fine with these things, prescribed drugs flood the market with little long term effects and even short term effects and many are sold knowing full well that they are addicting (Xanax, oxycotton, etc) so in my opinion a gun debate is meaningless if one is going to use death toll's and accidents when there are other things just as dangerous and more readily available to the general public.

Godfather.

a small percentage of the country? here is but one survey. there are countless others stating facts that the majority of americans support stricter gun legisltation:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-poll-majority-of-americans-support-next-president-pushing-tighter-gun-laws-2016-1

the only reason it is so difficult is because of the gun lobby and how powerful they have become. legislation is unfortunately not based on public opinion, but financial influence.

but hey, don't let "facts" get in the way of your opinion.

"you climate change believers". speaks volumes.

www.headstonesband.com

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Considering his views on the subject if they are armed it would make him quite the hypocrite.
    I thought I read somewhere that they are armed... but how would that make him a hypocrite? I never heard that he didn't think security guards or the police shouldn't be armed. I would imagine that he, like most others, is a logical person who understands that certain jobs actually do justify being armed.
    I'm just at a loss here. The same people that say that guns do not offer any protection are the ones defending people protecting others with guns...can't have it both ways. By the logic of previous posters (not specifically you Pjsoul), a celebrity's life would be at more risk because of the close proximity to firearms... At what point is or is not firearm a valid form of personal protection?
    I'm not sure how you've jumped to that?

A celebrity's life is more at risk given the range of mental stability that exists in the massive fan base spectrum.

Guns are certainly necessary given the amount of guns already in existence. At some point in time, proportionately speaking, you might find your country safer with fewer guns lying around waiting to be used.

More guns equals more deaths by guns. The statistic is irrefutable. Dance around it all you want, but its a losing argument.
    Getting tired of the "guns=more deaths by guns" rhetoric. Anyone could also say "more guns=more lives saved by guns" or "more burglars stopped by guns" or "more deer harvested by guns". I for one believe that deaths from guns is not "always" a bad thing. If someone dies because they were breaking into a house to rape a grandma and were shot by her, then I for one am glad for that death by gun. The situations vary, but "more gun deaths" is not 100% negative relative to the reasoning behind the shooting. Less guns=less people defending themselves with guns, etc, etc, etc.
    Similar to saying "more water=more deaths by water" discounting that more water also = less people being thirsty...
    Do you have any sources that say more guns equal more lives saved?
    Numerous, for example, any time someone has justifiably used one in self-defense during a home invasion. If they had zero guns, then it is quite possible they would be dead.
    Here are several examples. in some examples, having two guns present instead of only one save unknown numbers of lives.
    http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/03/10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter/#10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter-2
    That link doesn't support your claim that more guns equals more lives saved. It's just 10 random acts.
    Whatever dude. In all of those examples, having more guns than 0 =lives being saved. In all honesty though, I'm half way trolling. I no longer take the anti-gun crowd around here seriously anymore due to the condescending nature of their posts and refusal to consider strategies for decreasing gun violence in any ways other than what has failed time after time. I've been round and round in this debate and no new ideas or meaningful solutions have been posted in a long time. Pure entertainment here.
    if you look at it any other way you'd just be disappointed, most of the folks here are steadfast democrats which is fine, not too many members are willing to peek over the fence or so to speak.

Godfather.

And you're saying this from a Republican point of view (not that I'm as 'liberal' as you might think)?

Two things I consider fact:

1. The gun debate has been lost big time by gun advocates. It's not even close. The need for solid measures of gun reform demonstrated by items such as statistics, comparisons to other countries, and common sense blows paranoia and an ancient document's etchings out of the water.

2. Even though the gun debate has been lost and never to be won until such a time as when madness ensues... it would never result in any significant changes. The majority of people are much too self concerned or-- simply put- stupid to accept meaningful change efforts for the betterment of society.

I have more respect for gun owners that can at least recognize these two facts versus trying to sell their point of view to people that know better. Honestly, it's like pushing religion on people grounded in science.

Bottom line: enjoy your guns.
    I think the issue for gun owners, such as myself, is many of the proposed restrictions don't address the statistics that are often quoted. The guns that get targeted are an insignificant portion of the problem. There is always talk about assault rifles and the AR-15, when assault rifles account for something like less than 1% of gun deaths.

I wouldn't argue that guns save more lives that they kill. But there are things out there that kill more than guns and don't get talked about at all. The fact that the majority of gun deaths are suicides I would argue is as much or more of a mental health issue than gun issue.

I wouldn't say the gun debate has been "lost," because its not just about if guns kills-we all know they do-but also about the best way to minimize their negative effect on society. It seems to me that better suicide prevention and mental health treatment for high risk profiles would save more lives than say, outlawing a pistol grip. Or enforce laws that restrict access to guns who should not have them instead of focusing so much attention on one single firearm that is statistically insignificant.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096

Godfather.

Godfather.

So, what if I wanted to collect nuclear warheads? Just owning them and collecting them brings me satisfaction! It's no different than old records.

I think you're mistaken in thinking that people don't like guns just because people don't like guns. People don't guns because people don't like murder, and the statistical facts show that the more guns in a society, the more murder in a society, both by volume and per capita (and don't put facts in quotations like they're some fictional story - you can ignore facts as long as you'd like, but they're still facts, and not your romantic view of them).

Guns - primary use case: to wield power by fear of and facilitation of injury or death.
    Cars - primary use case: to move people between various geographic locations when walking is impermissible
    Hammers - primary use case: in conjunction with nails, to construct (and on occasion, to crucify)
    Drugs and alcohol - I agree we should do a better job of restricting these, especially the ones with addictive properties. Instead of saying that gun debate is meaningless because of rampant drug and alcohol abuse, I'd say that gun debate is meaningful in addition to issues surrounding rampant drug and alcohol abuse.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

So, what if I wanted to collect nuclear warheads? Just owning them and collecting them brings me satisfaction! It's no different than old records.

I think you're mistaken in thinking that people don't like guns just because people don't like guns. People don't guns because people don't like murder, and the statistical facts show that the more guns in a society, the more murder in a society, both by volume and per capita (and don't put facts in quotations like they're some fictional story - you can ignore facts as long as you'd like, but they're still facts, and not your romantic view of them).

Guns - primary use case: to wield power by fear of and facilitation of injury or death.
    Cars - primary use case: to move people between various geographic locations when walking is impermissible
    Hammers - primary use case: in conjunction with nails, to construct (and on occasion, to crucify)
    Drugs and alcohol - I agree we should do a better job of restricting these, especially the ones with addictive properties. Instead of saying that gun debate is meaningless because of rampant drug and alcohol abuse, I'd say that gun debate is meaningful in addition to issues surrounding rampant drug and alcohol abuse.
    So, what if I wanted to collect nuclear warheads? Just owning them and collecting them brings me satisfaction! It's no different than old records....go find one.

I think you're mistaken in thinking that people don't like guns just because people don't like guns. People don't guns because people don't like murder, and the statistical facts show that the more guns in a society, the more murder in a society, both by volume and per capita (and don't put facts in quotations like they're some fictional story - you can ignore facts as long as you'd like, but they're still facts, and not your romantic view of them). ....wrong, your also adding self defense deaths as well and that's not murder.
    most of the "facts" about guns are a fictional story told by anti gun folks, what ever you dig up on the internet I can probably find something on the internet to counter it but what would be the point you will believe what you will as will I.

Godfather.

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

If it's a Hi-Point, I hear they make good paperweights, lol
    HHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAH ! I hear the same thing...but they're cheap LOL !!!

Godfather.

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

So, what if I wanted to collect nuclear warheads? Just owning them and collecting them brings me satisfaction! It's no different than old records....go find one.

I think you're mistaken in thinking that people don't like guns just because people don't like guns. People don't guns because people don't like murder, and the statistical facts show that the more guns in a society, the more murder in a society, both by volume and per capita (and don't put facts in quotations like they're some fictional story - you can ignore facts as long as you'd like, but they're still facts, and not your romantic view of them). ....wrong, your also adding self defense deaths as well and that's not murder.
    most of the "facts" about guns are a fictional story told by anti gun folks, what ever you dig up on the internet I can probably find something on the internet to counter it but what would be the point you will believe what you will as will I.

Godfather.

At least you're aware you're living in the echo chamber.
    benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I would argue the primary use of guns. What you described would be the design of the gun (I would possibly omit the fear part, and just say cause injury or death). But that would be the original design and original purpose of a gun. There are millions of gun owners in this country, and statistically almost none of them commit crimes with them. The primary use for the modern gun owner is sporting, protection and hunting, and I would guess probably in that order with sporting being by far the biggest reason for most gun purchases and use. And I do think that is why gun owners make the comparison, because to us it is another recreational tool that is misused. No one fears someone running into a theater throwing some crack everywhere, but there are a lot innocent deaths from drugs too, and probably even more innocent children with life long disabilities. And I don't understand why that is generally ignored. Most gun owners want gun restrictions, but many people want no restrictions on drugs?

I do appreciate your acknowledgment that drugs and alcohol are a problem. They have been brought up several times in this forum and for the most part have been dismissed. But if an argument of less guns = less deaths by guns, wouldn't less drugs = less deaths by drugs be equally true? Think of all the great music we don't have because of drugs.

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

. ....wrong, your also adding self defense deaths as well and that's not murder.

Godfather.

so more guns equals less death in your eyes? your murder rate by use of guns per capita tells a wildly different story. it is indisputable. but hey, "facts" and "science" are just things used by nerds to "prove" things.

everyone else can just wipe their ass and tell a story from it.

www.headstonesband.com

Oxycontin, gf.

lol ! thanks...I've never did the stuff so cotton looked cool to me lol !

Godfather.

good grief ! give up your own rights just leave mine alone. fabricated facts and nonsense seem to be the train way.

Godfather.

good grief ! give up your own rights just leave mine alone. fabricated facts and nonsense seem to be the train way.

Godfather.

what facts are fabricated? please be specific.

for the 137th time: it concerns me because I have american family. is that clear this time?

www.headstonesband.com

Godfather.

I'm sorry, but the basic right to live safely supersedes your right to own a typically lethal weapon. And along with HFD, I have American family, my dad is America, my siblings and I are all dual citizens. Saying a fact is fabricated does not make it so, nor does putting it in between quotation marks, nor declaring it nonsense.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:

gun's don't think for themselves.

Same could be said for the 3%, the Oath Keepers, the Tea Party, Preppers, the Michigan Militia, the Klan, etc. These morons have no place in modern society. Unfortunately, you can't outlaw stupidity.
    Thanks for proving it.

Godfather.

This is not how the constitution works, it's kind of an all or nothing scenario...
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

with guns.

www.headstonesband.com

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

Taking this logic further, if gun owners kill people, and we wish to kill less people per capita, we can reduce the number of gun owners by reducing the number of guns. Or am I missing something?

EV
    benjs said:

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

Taking this logic further, if gun owners kill people, and we wish to kill less people per capita, we can reduce the number of gun owners by reducing the number of guns. Or am I missing something?
    how insightful
    Or, non-gun owners can just reproduce exponentially and then gun owners per capita would go down. Just throwing that out there.
    CM189191 said:

benjs said:

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

how insightful
    I know that it's a "fucking duh" statement, but save for executing or exiling gun owners, it's an absurd deflection to make that guns don't kill people - people do. If guns are used as a means to that end, and the only downside if putting more stringent restrictions on it is that some lose their ability to participate in a sport they enjoy, there seems to be a "fucking duh" course of action that's equally "insightful".

EV
    edited September 2016
    CM189191 said:

benjs said:

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

how insightful
    tell that to the people on here who openly claim that less guns equals more deaths.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners kill people

Unless you are Adam Lanza.
This discussion has been closed.