Bipolar PJ fans???

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    I've got a question for the bi-polar, ADHD, mental illness community; specifically about relationships and how they shape your lives.

What is it like being in a relationship with someone whom suffers from these illnesses? For those that are willing to share their stories, what is it like living with your partner who doesn't have a mental illness?

PJSiren I am very happy you have a husband that is patient with you. I can only presume that patience will be a very common answer to my question, but I ask out of kindness and seriousness. I'm genuinely concerned on the issue as it's clearly stated by many of you here, that you weren't diagnosed until much later in life. I can only therefore think that many people, myself included, could be in a relationship either now or in the future when either ourselves or our partner eventually get diagnosed. My apologies for the long-winded question. I'm just looking to broaden the discussion as it's a very important conversation.

My friend whom is bi-polar: I am very patient with him. It comes naturally to me. I enjoy his company and we have a tonne of fun together. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on how a mental illness can affect a relationship and what lessons can be taken away.
    Thanks all.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    The hardest thing to deal with us the Stigma that goes with it. You stated you have a friend that has it, so you kind if understand a tiny but how it works. The biggest difference between B-Polar people and the common population is that we have a chemical imbalance that causes us to react way off course to things that the common man or woman takes in stride.. I.E. My blow up at work yesterday.. We are either super depressed, or super hyper.. There is no I between. Honestly I think the scariest part is this: because each and every person's triggers are different as is their imbalance, some can flip like light switches, and it is literally a moment to moment thing! Then there are those like myself that are on the opposite extreme, and we cycle for weeks and even months!! ( I've had both manic and depressive cycles last two years apiece!!) that's scary in it's own right because a person invests that time getting to know only one half of a Bi-Polar individual's personality! That's really scary to some people. The most important thing to realize is this: whether BP or not ( or any other mental issue existent) is that each person is different. Like you said patience is a HUGE key.. But more so than that, is true understanding. Know that when someone with these disorders starts taking things out on you, or pushing you away ( in an intimate setting like a relationship), that you've most likely not done anything truly wrong, we just get frustrated really easily, and things get blown out if proportion. A lot of times we act out, because that frustration simply has nowhere else to go, and suddenly we go from level headed adult, to tantrum throwing two year old! Again yesterday was a perfect example! So try not to take everything personally. Also research the illness you are dealing with. Half the battle is knowing what you're up against. I have had biyfriends tell me they just couldn't handle me on a manic.. And it took me a long time to get over that hurt, because I couldn't see where they were coming from. But now I know that it's going to take one hell of a special man to be in my life, because I have such a screwed up, toxic combo of disorders. But I do believe there someone out there. And thanks for keeping this conversation going. It IS a very important subject, that out if fear, gets swept under the rug. The more we can bring the truth of it to light, the more can be det with properly.
  • Bipolar II here. The first indication of it goes back to being in my teen years. My therapist said to go to a psychiatrist to get a diagnosis and I didn't. After my marriage ended because of reckless and behavior unbecoming of me, I went back and decided to get a diagnosis. I wanted to find answers and not an excuse for what happened.
    So I got my diagnosis and then the loooooong road of getting the right mixture of meds started. I had a terrible doctor. Terrible. Eventually he put me on klonopin and it caused me to lose my mind. I was admitted to the hospital for a week. I developed a drinking/prescription drug problem. I nearly died a couple of times from overdosing. It put me out of it and I didn't know what the hell to do. On December 23rd of last year my parents found me out cold in my house from an overdose. They thought I was dead. At that point, I agreed to get treatment.
    So I went up to the Mayo Clinic in early February of this year and tried to enter into a program. I was all checked in and then the nurse came to my room and said insurance wasn't sure if they were going to cover it or not. So, I couldn't risk spending $4,000 with insurance or $40,000 if they decided not to. So, I packed my shit and I was on my way home.
    My general physician slowly got me off of the klonopin which was hell on earth. Some say it's more difficult to come off of than drugs like heroin. It sure as hell was difficult. So through that process, a new psychiatrist and new meds...I'm good and clean. I still have the mania and depression, but they are nowhere near what the past had in store.

Bipolar II here. The first indication of it goes back to being in my teen years. My therapist said to go to a psychiatrist to get a diagnosis and I didn't. After my marriage ended because of reckless and behavior unbecoming of me, I went back and decided to get a diagnosis. I wanted to find answers and not an excuse for what happened.
    So I got my diagnosis and then the loooooong road of getting the right mixture of meds started. I had a terrible doctor. Terrible. Eventually he put me on klonopin and it caused me to lose my mind. I was admitted to the hospital for a week. I developed a drinking/prescription drug problem. I nearly died a couple of times from overdosing. It put me out of it and I didn't know what the hell to do. On December 23rd of last year my parents found me out cold in my house from an overdose. They thought I was dead. At that point, I agreed to get treatment.
    So I went up to the Mayo Clinic in early February of this year and tried to enter into a program. I was all checked in and then the nurse came to my room and said insurance wasn't sure if they were going to cover it or not. So, I couldn't risk spending $4,000 with insurance or $40,000 if they decided not to. So, I packed my shit and I was on my way home.
    My general physician slowly got me off of the klonopin which was hell on earth. Some say it's more difficult to come off of than drugs like heroin. It sure as hell was difficult. So through that process, a new psychiatrist and new meds...I'm good and clean. I still have the mania and depression, but they are nowhere near what the past had in store.

Awesome that you are working towards getting yourself straightened out! It is a difficult journey at times. But once you find out what works, stick with it! It is very common for us to think that we're ok, and quit taking our meds! DON'T do that! Then you have to find a whole new combination! That's no fun, as you have partially experienced. Kalsomine, don't get discouraged, this is still a relatively new thing, that doctors are just beginning to understand.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

Bipolar II here. The first indication of it goes back to being in my teen years. My therapist said to go to a psychiatrist to get a diagnosis and I didn't. After my marriage ended because of reckless and behavior unbecoming of me, I went back and decided to get a diagnosis. I wanted to find answers and not an excuse for what happened.

I've heard bad things about klonopin, I'm glad my dr's never put me on it. I'm glad you've gotten off of it and are on new meds now too...that's great....and have found a new psych...they're very instrumental to our health....I love mine. I still have some cycles also, but nothing like what they used to be...and as Whispering hands said, definitely don't take yourself off the meds, I've done that, before I was actually diagnosed, and was only being treated for depression...and it only made things worse....I wish you luck in your journey, and keep posting here for support, we're here for each other!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    evsgjamm said:

I've got a question for the bi-polar, ADHD, mental illness community; specifically about relationships and how they shape your lives.

What is it like being in a relationship with someone whom suffers from these illnesses? For those that are willing to share their stories, what is it like living with your partner who doesn't have a mental illness?

PJSiren I am very happy you have a husband that is patient with you. I can only presume that patience will be a very common answer to my question, but I ask out of kindness and seriousness. I'm genuinely concerned on the issue as it's clearly stated by many of you here, that you weren't diagnosed until much later in life. I can only therefore think that many people, myself included, could be in a relationship either now or in the future when either ourselves or our partner eventually get diagnosed. My apologies for the long-winded question. I'm just looking to broaden the discussion as it's a very important conversation.

My friend whom is bi-polar: I am very patient with him. It comes naturally to me. I enjoy his company and we have a tonne of fun together. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on how a mental illness can affect a relationship and what lessons can be taken away.
    Thanks all.

Patience is definitely key, and understanding of what they're dealing with...like Whispering hands said do research and know what you're up against. Living with my husband who doesn't have a mental illness can sometimes be frustrating for me, because though he is patient and understanding with me I am not a patient person and I get frustrated easily especially when I'm not leveled out and I'm having either an up or down swing....

We also have a 13 year old daughter who I try to explain my illness to, but she still doesn't understand it....and that can get frustrating because she doesn't know why mom sometimes is the way she is and I don't know how to help her understand.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited November 2014
    i don't suffer at all with my adhd/add. if others without adhd/add could wear my shoes awhile, those are the folks who would suffer. im just a guy living in my own world & that world is creativity & not giving a damn about much of anything unless it is worth my caring about. i find that most people care about things i wold never give two shits about & this may be important documents, business paperwork, legal papers & things. i lose everything in the paper shuffling heaps. i am the scratch paper king as i write notes & important info like dr. appointments down on scrap pieces of paper that camouflages itself into disappearance status. who gives a fat rat's ass? "not me," said the chadwick. rotate your tires after so many miles? are you fucking kidding me? yeah that's gonna happen. can ya be a little gentler on things? it's not like i destroy things on purpose, things just are not built to last in this day & age. can you just tell us the fucking story? god damn dude, you're wearing me the fuck out! because i may need 2-14 day notice with a lot of things/situations sometimes when the letter from whomever says, "please fill out & return to us within two weeks of receiving." damn! what the frig?! who the hell do they think i am!? hell i may not even open that envelope for two months. 90% of my mail never is opened & is tossed in the shit can & recycled. i am not depressed, never have been & never will be. sure i get sad like everyone else does but im not a depressive. i have insane determination & high levels of self-esteem. my worst days were just horrible every way around & i probably wore a grin with the exceptions of close family members dying, dad & one brother. i've never had a g/f live with me or i live with her for any real length of time. nine months was the time spent. but soon it is on as wedding bells call out to us. we'll have to see how well we pull this off. it will be wonderful for us. we're both a couple of real dicks, that's for sure! you wanna talk about disastrous proportions? she's a genius, beautiful & one or seventeen barrels of monkeys. she's a frickin professional/business woman built like a brick shit house, carries herself a leather brief case thing, wears the librarian glasses that have a high iq themselves & she has no idea what time it ever is nor gives a damn. so we'll help each other out with giving support where one may have weakness, the other may not. like i'm a fuckin disaster, she is a disaster herself but not in the fields of expertise i may be in & vice versa. we're the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder kids or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder couple or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder dicks or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder penises or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder confusioned or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder it's hot it's cold it's hot it's cold or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder wow what the frig dude or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder that's fuckin fucked the fuck up dude or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder poetry committee den leaders or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder my memory blows but that's ok because my memory rules the world or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder teamwork fired up & rolled out...... team fucking work! teamwork fired up like wounded soldiers carrying one another out of the bad shit. we will. we are a force to be reckoned with. men & women with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are different in the fact that males & females are effected differently. if she can appreaciate my need for knives, axes & sledge hammers under the bed then i think we'll be ok.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    chadwick said:

i don't suffer at all with my adhd/add. if others without adhd/add could wear my shoes awhile, those are the folks who would suffer. im just a guy living in my own world & that world is creativity & not giving a damn about much of anything unless it is worth my caring about. i find that most people care about things i wold never give two shits about & this may be important documents, business paperwork, legal papers & things. i lose everything in the paper shuffling heaps. i am the scratch paper king as i write notes & important info like dr. appointments down on scrap pieces of paper that camouflages itself into disappearance status. who gives a fat rat's ass? "not me," said the chadwick. rotate your tires after so many miles? are you fucking kidding me? yeah that's gonna happen. can ya be a little gentler on things? it's not like i destroy things on purpose, things just are not built to last in this day & age. can you just tell us the fucking story? god damn dude, you're wearing me the fuck out! because i may need 2-14 day notice with a lot of things/situations sometimes when the letter from whomever says, "please fill out & return to us within two weeks of receiving." damn! what the frig?! who the hell do they think i am!? hell i may not even open that envelope for two months. 90% of my mail never is opened & is tossed in the shit can & recycled. i am not depressed, never have been & never will be. sure i get sad like everyone else does but im not a depressive. i have insane determination & high levels of self-esteem. my worst days were just horrible every way around & i probably wore a grin with the exceptions of close family members dying, dad & one brother. i've never had a g/f live with me or i live with her for any real length of time. nine months was the time spent. but soon it is on as wedding bells call out to us. we'll have to see how well we pull this off. it will be wonderful for us. we're both a couple of real dicks, that's for sure! you wanna talk about disastrous proportions? she's a genius, beautiful & one or seventeen barrels of monkeys. she's a frickin professional/business woman built like a brick shit house, carries herself a leather brief case thing, wears the librarian glasses that have a high iq themselves & she has no idea what time it ever is nor gives a damn. so we'll help each other out with giving support where one may have weakness, the other may not. like i'm a fuckin disaster, she is a disaster herself but not in the fields of expertise i may be in & vice versa. we're the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder kids or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder couple or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder dicks or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder penises or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder confusioned or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder it's hot it's cold it's hot it's cold or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder wow what the frig dude or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder that's fuckin fucked the fuck up dude or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder poetry committee den leaders or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder my memory blows but that's ok because my memory rules the world or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder teamwork fired up & rolled out...... team fucking work! teamwork fired up like wounded soldiers carrying one another out of the bad shit. we will. we are a force to be reckoned with. men & women with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are different in the fact that males & females are effected differently. if she can appreaciate my need for knives, axes & sledge hammers under the bed then i think we'll be ok.

I love 'dis guy :)

add rules . there are none!

Love ya Chad! You always make me laugh! You and your girl are lucky to have one another! Very very happy for you! Kitty!
    Thank you for going all the way up my ass. That was comforting to twist my eyes on.

Does anyone here live with someone who has ADHD, ADD, Bi-polar disorder or is depressive? I think it's key to hear that side of the discussion, to keep this a healthy & balanced topic. It is very interesting and is critical to get the stories all out there. If anything, the stigmas will deplete the more we talk about it.
    I lived with a girl that was on antidepressants (we lived together from the age of 20-23) and it was fine. I'm now 31 and haven't seen her since them days and she's now married with two kids. I don't know how her depression is anymore, but when we lived together, it was OK to live with. Sex was good, laughing and joking was good, hanging with friends was good. She worked as a florist and studied interior design on campus. I actually didn't know she was on anti-depressants until quite a while after we moved in together. It could have been months, or it could have been over a year. I'm not sure, but I do recall it never really affecting our relationship in a negative way. Perhaps she suffered from a very light chemical imbalance, whereas others suffer from more severe imbalances.
    Keep the discussion going folks. If you have something to say, now is the time to start saying it.
    Cheers
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

Evsgjamm, I wasn't trying to "go up your ass" or offend, I certainly hope I didn't...I was just trying to explain from my point of view...you're right it would be interesting to hear from someone who is on the other side of the fence....so to speak.

Congrats Chad on your upcoming wedding, I think as I understood what you said....lol Nice when you find someone who can understand/cope with you and help us to be better people along the way... :-)
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited November 2014
    PJSiren :) I think we have a miscommunication. Chadwick is the guy I always call "up my ass" as my nickname for him. I wasn't saying anything at all related to bullshit or "kiss my ass" kinda thing. That may be why you got confused. My lingo towards Mr 'Wick (aka "up my ass") gets lost in translation from time to time. I'm on side with what you're saying here :) I'm a goofball by nature and whenever I can find a place to generate a smile or a laugh, I do it - and it's usually very very lame and overly simplified. It's how I like to make my days sunny.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on

Evsgjamm, oooh, gottya, I was afraid I or we had offended you in some way....I get it now...I'm still a little bit of a newb on things like that...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
    I feel like I'm in a manic phase...haha it's just another manic monday....don't ask, anyway, I've actually kinda felt like it for a few days now, but it's different than they used to be because I'm medicated, but it's definitely still manic...I'm hyper, and easily bored and the fact that I have to work totally sucks ass, I wanna be doing fun stuff...stuff I want to do...one different thing about it is I don't want to drink a lot though, I used to wanna drink a lot when I was manic, but I just don't have the desire to drink much anymore...and the mania hasn't brought it back. So I guess that's good. I like the feeling, I wasn't tired this morning, not like I have been it took me some time to get going, but I had a headache so that's why, but it was fatigue that caused me to have a hard time getting going like normal...I hope this lasts a while...feeling more energetic would be great!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Anyone else get migraines? I get them bad and think there might be a link here...I dunno, I might also be just grasping at straws at this point...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJSiren said:

Anyone else get migraines? I get them bad and think there might be a link here...I dunno, I might also be just grasping at straws at this point...

I know depression is caused by a lack of certain chemicals being processed on the brain...they sort of back up and get lost before being fully processed, so you don't get the 'happies'. In my own personal opinion, that is a cause for the migraines. I used to hide in bed under the covers for most of the day...reading, tv, and anything else was just too much for me to process.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

PJSiren said:

I know depression is caused by a lack of certain chemicals being processed on the brain...they sort of back up and get lost before being fully processed, so you don't get the 'happies'. In my own personal opinion, that is a cause for the migraines. I used to hide in bed under the covers for most of the day...reading, tv, and anything else was just too much for me to process.
    I'm on meds for both, but I've been getting a lot migraines again and I don't know why...So that's why I was wondering if there could be a connection...I have been in a neutral phase for a long time because of the meds, thankfully...but yeah what you're saying makes sense...the chemical imbalance causing the migraines too...I will have to see my psych soon for med renewal, I will have to talk to him about that...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    I have been without my meds for like 3 weeks...I ordered them late and then my doctor wouldn't renew them because he hadn't seen me in 7 months...and didn't bother to have his secretary call me about that...so I am seeing him next week, and he finally renewed my meds, but I've been having all kinds of crazy side effects from being without, i've been sick to my stomach for going on two weeks, light headed, exhausted, and overly emotional...the dumbest things have been making me tear up...like I read an article on FB about Johnny Depp and I got teary...because he's like one of the sweetest guys ever! It was stupid though, it should have just made me smile...and then my timehop app showed me a picture of my cat that passed away this morning, and I've been depressed all day. I bawled this morning before work, I was able to get myself together before I got to work, but yeah, it's just been a shitty day. I should have my meds in a few days and I can get off this shitty cycle...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Got my meds LAST weekend, so I've been back on them for 9 days now, and I am back to feeling balanced, and not sick and all that crap I was going through went away...I feel 100% back to normal....sleepier than normal though, but I think thats because the meds got out of my system completely and then I restarted them, so I have to get used to them again....otherwise though, i feel great...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJSiren said:

Got my meds LAST weekend, so I've been back on them for 9 days now, and I am back to feeling balanced, and not sick and all that crap I was going through went away...I feel 100% back to normal....sleepier than normal though, but I think thats because the meds got out of my system completely and then I restarted them, so I have to get used to them again....otherwise though, i feel great...

That's wonderful!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have generalised anxiety/mild depression/social anxiety. Been on Escitalopram (aka Lexapro) for 3 months now, I find it has helped me feel normal. I have had issues for as long as I can remember, even in childhood.
    I battled it without medication whilst seeing my psychologist for about 2 years, I was determined to never go on medication as I found that thought scary.

Well that got me nowhere, was referred to a psychiatrist by my GP early this year and overcame my fear and started on medication. I was told to be on it for a year and will come off it then and see how it goes.

The worst is my fear of having to hide it from my parents and employers. I am unemployed at the moment, I fear having to ask for time off work in future to see my shrink or GP for another script for medication. A lot of employers discriminate against those with mental illness.
    I also can't drink more than one standard drink of alcohol a week, how to get away with that at work functions?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    PJSiren said:

I have BP with ADD...i'm untreated for the ADD because I'm already on 4 medications between my BP and my migraines...I have a hard time sitting still too, my feet/legs constantly move and fidget with stuff all the time...and I daydream a lot too...it's funny thought because I didn't have ADD or ADHD as a kid, it developed later after I was an adult and the fidgeting has gotten progressively worse, especially since my hip surgery(weird, huh?)...I also misplace my keys when I've just stuck them in my pocket or dropped them in my purse like two seconds before...my brain completely forgets. We know I have the ADD with the BP because I have the chronic issues even when I'm medicated for the BP and the ADD issues regardless of a manic or depressive swing....it sucks...like right now I'm sitting here typing this and my right foot is digging into the carpet...I just can't sit still...

And I really love it here too, I have made some great friends so far BP and non BP alike! :-)

I find that I cannot sit still and not move my legs, I mentioned to my shrink that I think I have ADD as I find it hard to stay focused on task and daydream. I was told it is too late to fix ADD if I had it and that it doesn't look like I do have it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

I have generalised anxiety/mild depression/social anxiety. Been on Escitalopram (aka Lexapro) for 3 months now, I find it has helped me feel normal. I have had issues for as long as I can remember, even in childhood.
    I battled it without medication whilst seeing my psychologist for about 2 years, I was determined to never go on medication as I found that thought scary.

Well that got me nowhere, was referred to a psychiatrist by my GP early this year and overcame my fear and started on medication. I was told to be on it for a year and will come off it then and see how it goes.

The worst is my fear of having to hide it from my parents and employers. I am unemployed at the moment, I fear having to ask for time off work in future to see my shrink or GP for another script for medication. A lot of employers discriminate against those with mental illness.
    I also can't drink more than one standard drink of alcohol a week, how to get away with that at work functions?

magnesium complete is sposed to be a good herbal helper

This product works to relieve bodily exhaustion caused by stress. Formulated with Magnesium citrate, KSM-66 Ashwagandha, and three B-vitamins to restore energy, this product also contains the calming herb Lemon balm to support mood by reducing anxiety and enhancing vitality.

Relieving stress, nervous tension and mild anxiety
    Calming and relaxing the body during times of stress
    Supporting a restful, undisturbed sleep
    Common symptoms of low magnesium levels include muscle spasms, muscle weakness, insomnia, irritability and sensitivity to noise. The RDA (Recommended Daily Amount) suggested to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all adults (97-98%) is 420mg for men and 320mg for women.

Sometimes we don’t eat as well as we could, our stress levels are high, or we lose excessive amounts of magnesium (or absorb limited amounts) due to health conditions. During these times, supplementing with magnesium may be necessary. Some medications, including certain diuretics and antibiotics, may reduce magnesium levels. Individuals with poorly-controlled diabetes may benefit from magnesium supplementation because hyperglycaemia can cause them to lose magnesium through their urine.

Alcohol intake and chronic malabsorption conditions such as Crohn’s disease, coeliac disease, colitis, diarrhoea, intestinal surgery and fat malabsorption can also affect magnesium levels. Older adults are at increased risk for low magnesium levels due to poor diet and reduced digestive ability.

Magnesium’s role in supporting heart health makes it beneficial in maintaining normal blood pressure. It is also helpful for PMS symptoms, including cramps, mood swings and fatigue.

This product works to relieve bodily exhaustion caused by stress
    JWPearl said:

magnesium complete is sposed to be a good herbal helper

This product works to relieve bodily exhaustion caused by stress. Formulated with Magnesium citrate, KSM-66 Ashwagandha, and three B-vitamins to restore energy, this product also contains the calming herb Lemon balm to support mood by reducing anxiety and enhancing vitality.

Relieving stress, nervous tension and mild anxiety
    Calming and relaxing the body during times of stress
    Supporting a restful, undisturbed sleep
    Common symptoms of low magnesium levels include muscle spasms, muscle weakness, insomnia, irritability and sensitivity to noise. The RDA (Recommended Daily Amount) suggested to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all adults (97-98%) is 420mg for men and 320mg for women.

Sometimes we don’t eat as well as we could, our stress levels are high, or we lose excessive amounts of magnesium (or absorb limited amounts) due to health conditions. During these times, supplementing with magnesium may be necessary. Some medications, including certain diuretics and antibiotics, may reduce magnesium levels. Individuals with poorly-controlled diabetes may benefit from magnesium supplementation because hyperglycaemia can cause them to lose magnesium through their urine.

Alcohol intake and chronic malabsorption conditions such as Crohn’s disease, coeliac disease, colitis, diarrhoea, intestinal surgery and fat malabsorption can also affect magnesium levels. Older adults are at increased risk for low magnesium levels due to poor diet and reduced digestive ability.

Magnesium’s role in supporting heart health makes it beneficial in maintaining normal blood pressure. It is also helpful for PMS symptoms, including cramps, mood swings and fatigue.

This product works to relieve bodily exhaustion caused by stress
    Thank you for the effort in typing that information!
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    mental illness is becoming more "acceptable" these days....as it should be. The brain is just as susceptible to illness as any other organ or body part. The reason is carries a stigma is because it affects our thoughts.....something most of us hold very personal.

However, learning to separate "it" from "me" is the first step in overcoming it or at least properly dealing with it. .... It is not you. you just "have" it. It is separate.... hold it in your hands, hold it away from you...call it by name. dangle it. throw it against the wall for a while. don't worry, it'll come back.

yes, magnesium and other good stuff CoQ10, B12 x 1,000, ADD medication.

To your doc, Arrive, of course you can't fix ADD with medication..... Nor can you fix diabetes, hypertension, or elongated heart....that doesn't mean it should go untreated for fuck's sake.

by the way, I never heard of bipolar pj, are they any good?
    Been
    Dealing with my depressive swing, and that and the ADHD makes it really hard, and I
    Just want to lie in bed all day and twitch.. I
    Just want to sleep, but I can't. So I'm doing the best I can jnbetween doctors. As of two days ago, meds ran out.. Still no new Doc on the horizon, and the depression is getting into Sliding mode. Today I get a 'breather'. In these hours, I live for those. In a my years of being BP I have learned to take advantage of the feeling that I can go outside, and not pass out from the anxiety. It saves me mentally to go just sit in the woods, high atop some rock formation, soaking up the sun, and the sounds of stillness that only nature can provide. Sadly it takes Pot for me to be still enough to get to that relaxed point. But none the less, I am taking today before work to go off grid for a while, and enjoy the beauty of God in nature, and spend some time in prayer. ( I know.. But it works for me..) I love that I live near Garden of The Gods.. As it has become my
    Refuge on days like today..

PJSiren said:

I have BP with ADD...i'm untreated for the ADD because I'm already on 4 medications between my BP and my migraines...I have a hard time sitting still too, my feet/legs constantly move and fidget with stuff all the time...and I daydream a lot too...it's funny thought because I didn't have ADD or ADHD as a kid, it developed later after I was an adult and the fidgeting has gotten progressively worse, especially since my hip surgery(weird, huh?)...I also misplace my keys when I've just stuck them in my pocket or dropped them in my purse like two seconds before...my brain completely forgets. We know I have the ADD with the BP because I have the chronic issues even when I'm medicated for the BP and the ADD issues regardless of a manic or depressive swing....it sucks...like right now I'm sitting here typing this and my right foot is digging into the carpet...I just can't sit still...

And I really love it here too, I have made some great friends so far BP and non BP alike! :-)

I find that I cannot sit still and not move my legs, I mentioned to my shrink that I think I have ADD as I find it hard to stay focused on task and daydream. I was told it is too late to fix ADD if I had it and that it doesn't look like I do have it.
    I can't keep my legs still at all...it sucks, they're constantly moving...it drives me bat shit crazy...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    So some good news!! I FINALLY got an apt. With a new Paych doctor on June 10!!! OMG! There's light at the end of this dark ass fucking tunnel!!

So some good news!! I FINALLY got an apt. With a new Paych doctor on June 10!!! OMG! There's light at the end of this dark ass fucking tunnel!!

That is AWESOME NEWS!!! :smiley:
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Well, I see my psych in a week and a half about my choice to stop taking the Abilify...I posted to the what's on your mind thread about it, but I'll explain here too, basically I've had restless legs, and I don't mean RLS that keeps you up at night, but my legs don't sit still for more than 5 seconds at a time, and it used to not bother me, just annoyed my hubby, but now it's making my legs ache and getting on my nerves and even fatiguing me somewhat, so I did some research as both my mom and JWPearl suggested it could be a medication I take....so I started with the newest addition, Abilify and sure enough, right in their pamphlet, which I never got from my mail order service, it says plain as day, restless legs is a side effect, and not everyone gets this....I just happened to be lucky....so I stopped taking the med without talking to my psych first because I wanted it out of my system ASAP, and I didn't have insurance at the time, It's been a week and a half and my new insurance has kicked in, so I called and made the appointment to go in and see him, and discuss my stopping taking the meds and also if any of my meds are safe to take during pregancy, or what safe alternatives there are, as my hubby and I want to start trying to have a baby soon.
    Tattooed Dissident!