Options

Bipolar PJ fans???

PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
I'm sorry if this thread exists, I did a search and found nothing like it....

I am bipolar, was diagnosed almost 4 years ago, something I'm very open about, and discuss at length with anyone who asks me anything about it, I believe in educating people about mental illness, because mental illness doesn't mean you're crazy.....I'm medicated and, see a psychiatrist.
PJ is a band that has gotten me through depression my whole life. I don't know what I would have done without them....I suffered from depression as early as 13 years old, but was not treated until I was much older and without PJ, especially, and some other bands I may not have made it through those early years.

So anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any other PJ fans on the forum with Bipolar or depression or any other mental illness you're willing to discuss...I'd love to meet you. >:D<
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I have depression, but it's in sustained remission at the moment...Still taking the meds, though.
    Had always kinda liked PJ, but in early 2005, when I had to take an extended leave from work, I got into them in a big way and yelling along to their music (blaring) was quite therapeutic.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Frankie79Frankie79 Cornwall, UK Posts: 203
    I have bi polar and have had it since my late teens, Im so glad to see this thread. PM me sometime for a chat whisperin hands Im sure we'd have a lot to talk about.
    Hyde Park 25/06/10
    MEN Arena 20-21/06/12
    Leeds 08/07/14
    Milton Keynes 11/07/14
    Mexico City 28/11/15
    EV London 6-7/6/17
  • Options

I have depression, but it's in sustained remission at the moment...Still taking the meds, though.
    Had always kinda liked PJ, but in early 2005, when I had to take an extended leave from work, I got into them in a big way and yelling along to their music (blaring) was quite therapeutic.

I know exactly what you mean, I've been in a down funk lately because of some stuff, and I've been listening to almost nothing but PJ and been theraputic in the best way!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Frankie79 said:

I have bi polar and have had it since my late teens, Im so glad to see this thread. PM me sometime for a chat whisperin hands Im sure we'd have a lot to talk about.

I got you PM, I will repond to you there also, but I think my bipolar actually kicked in around 21, but I went undiagnosed for years...or rather not properly diagnosed and treated, as I was treated only for depression...and any time an up swing would come on I'd stop taking my meds, but still they didn't diagnose me until I was 28...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Just thought I'd give this a bump and see if anyone else wanted to reach out...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Did anyone hear about Rene Russo coming out about her bipolar struggle? I just read about it on google today...I already knew about Cathrine Zata-Jones and Demi Levato, but now Rena Russo too, kinda cool when a staradmits to the same struggles we go through...anyway, just thought I would share...in case you hadn't heard yet.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I posted a thread about PJ lyrics and mental illness....foranyone who cares...it's in words and meaning communication... :-)
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    It's really nice to know we're all able to stick together on this.. Just knowing others go through what I do, is somehow a comfort. Hugs to all the " others". :-D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    I've had major depression and anxiety for a long time (DSM IV diagnosed in late 90's but had it longer than that) both of which can make life or weeks or days or even hours and minutes nearly unbearable. I also tend to run a bit hot and cold- maybe a little manic depressive (I hope that term offends no one here- Jimi Hendrix used it and when I first heard that in 1967 I said to myself- ah huh!) Taking Prozac very nearly killed me but fortunately Serzone, a medication which is now unavailable, finally helped me get back to living. When that drug was taken off the market in the early 2000's I had to go it with out meds and have mostly done so for about 12 years. I get a little help from a tincture an herbologist friend gives now and then me but most of my strength comes from working as much as I can, listening to music, playing my guitar, writing and reading- especially reading Henry Rollins. When I feel a bad moon on the rise I pull out some Rollins and get down to business. From the way he describes it, I'd say HR has and has had an epic battle with depression and anxiety yet he keeps pushing on. I've learned so much from reading his stuff, it's amazing. And of course, this fan site is a huge help. There are so many good people here it's ridiculous... and wonderful! Great support is given and found here! So for me it's been a matter of working hard, being creative, reaching out to others, giving back support, finding inspiration, and being stubborn and not giving in. In Henry's words: "strength" and "hack or pack". Keep hacking, friends. Don't give in and don't give up.

And thanks for being brave folks by posting here- good show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    brianlux said:

I've had major depression and anxiety for a long time (DSM IV diagnosed in late 90's but had it longer than that) both of which can make life or weeks or days or even hours and minutes nearly unbearable. I also tend to run a bit hot and cold- maybe a little manic depressive (I hope that term offends no one here- Jimi Hendrix used it and when I first heard that in 1967 I said to myself- ah huh!) Taking Prozac very nearly killed me but fortunately Serzone, a medication which is now unavailable, finally helped me get back to living. When that drug was taken off the market in the early 2000's I had to go it with out meds and have mostly done so for about 12 years. I get a little help from a tincture an herbologist friend gives now and then me but most of my strength comes from working as much as I can, listening to music, playing my guitar, writing and reading- especially reading Henry Rollins. When I feel a bad moon on the rise I pull out some Rollins and get down to business. From the way he describes it, I'd say HR has and has had an epic battle with depression and anxiety yet he keeps pushing on. I've learned so much from reading his stuff, it's amazing. And of course, this fan site is a huge help. There are so many good people here it's ridiculous... and wonderful! Great support is given and found here! So for me it's been a matter of working hard, being creative, reaching out to others, giving back support, finding inspiration, and being stubborn and not giving in. In Henry's words: "strength" and "hack or pack". Keep hacking, friends. Don't give in and don't give up.

that explains why your such a nice guy with a level head in my book
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

brianlux said:

+1you are an awesome dude Brian, one of my favorite people in here!! Keep on being you!
  • Options
    Brian I give you props for being unmedicated! My husband and I are talking about having a baby which means I would have to get off my meds....and the thought scares the crap out of me...I know in the end having a beautiful healthy baby it would be worth it and I would get back on my meds right after and my baby would be formula fed...a healthy, mentally sound mom is important to be able to take care of a new baby...
    I use music as a major part of how I cope though, even when I'm medicated, PJ is a big part of that, as are a great deal of other bands/singers, Pink is another big one...Christian Kane, Pat Green, Avril, Miley, I listen to a big variety of music as you can see...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

Brian I give you props for being unmedicated! My husband and I are talking about having a baby which means I would have to get off my meds....and the thought scares the crap out of me...I know in the end having a beautiful healthy baby it would be worth it and I would get back on my meds right after and my baby would be formula fed...a healthy, mentally sound mom is important to be able to take care of a new baby...
    I use music as a major part of how I cope though, even when I'm medicated, PJ is a big part of that, as are a great deal of other bands/singers, Pink is another big one...Christian Kane, Pat Green, Avril, Miley, I listen to a big variety of music as you can see...lol

Siren, talk to your doctor about starting a Homeopathic regime before you start trying for the baby. ( that way you know how things will effect you, and effectiveness etc). I've been trying to get off meds for about a year now.. I'll let you know if I find anything that seems to help.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited November 2014
    maybe write to doctorofmind & ask him your questions. he has hundreds of entertaining videos. he's the coolest, most intelligent guy. it's wild how bipolar & adhd have common characteristics. adhd is not episodic. therefore, i am a frickin a-hole every frickin day. im not sayin y'all w/ bipolar are a-holes sometimes, no. im sayin i know me & i was (& am) the hyper kid in class who can't sit still & who daydreams & has racing crowded thoughts something like a mad inventor, poet, has been athlete who has had addictions. the ritilan kid is now the adderall adult.... (listen for the circus music) what's funny is they took me off ritilan in like 8th grade. i just got back on ritilan two years ago then shortly after got switched to adderal. so from 8th grade (whatever age that is) until two years ago (im 42 now) i was w/out my crazy pills. i called them crazy pills when i was young. funny.
    you know how they say marijuana isn't addictive? horse dick! maybe not physically addictive like opiates but damn, for me it was medicine & i used it nearly 24x7. all my pals would be passed out on the couch & eating chips whilst i was up cleaning the house & doing laps around it. my dr. had me get two books from the library, i read nearly half of one of them, cocaine users are something else. something like 60% of cocaine users have adhd & they quit their meds or the doctors figured they didn't need them anymore. another thing that neat, cocaine & ritilan are only a few whatchamacallits apart. if you folks ever wanna go to the circus, take away my adhd meds & hang out awhile. i'm like mr. frickin what the frigg dude yeah wow. the brain runs a few hundred miles an hour. if i were 12 yrs old again, i would be physically keeping up w/ my head. can you please just tell us the story? i am dammit, it has lots of parts, lots of sidenotes & distractables. now then let's reinvented the car or build a ramp or maybe go pick apples or throw gravel & get whiskey. but im still painting the house & feeding & watering the dog. fuck, dude, where are my car keys!? (4 min later) oh they're in my pocket, never mind.

http://youtu.be/A5_KW90olhg
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

maybe write to doctorofmind & ask him your questions. he has hundreds of entertaining videos. he's the coolest, most intelligent guy. it's wild how bipolar & adhd have common characteristics. adhd is not episodic. therefore, i am a frickin a-hole every frickin day. im not sayin y'all w/ bipolar are a-holes sometimes, no. im sayin i know me & i was (& am) the hyper kid in class who can't sit still & who daydreams & has racing crowded thoughts something like a mad inventor, poet, has been athlete who has had addictions. the ritilan kid is now the adderall adult.... (listen for the circus music) what's funny is they took me off ritilan in like 8th grade. i just got back on ritilan two years ago then shortly after got switched to adderal. so from 8th grade (whatever age that is) until two years ago (im 42 now) i was w/out my crazy pills. i called them crazy pills when i was young. funny.
    you know how they say marijuana isn't addictive? horse dick! maybe not physically addictive like opiates but damn, for me it was medicine & i used it nearly 24x7. all my pals would be passed out on the couch & eating chips whilst i was up cleaning the house & doing laps around it. my dr. had me get two books from the library, i read nearly half of one of them, cocaine users are something else. something like 60% of cocaine users have adhd & they quit their meds or the doctors figured they didn't need them anymore. another thing that neat, cocaine & ritilan are only a few whatchamacallits apart. if you folks ever wanna go to the circus, take away my adhd meds & hang out awhile. i'm like mr. frickin what the frigg dude yeah wow. the brain runs a few hundred miles an hour. if i were 12 yrs old again, i would be physically keeping up w/ my head. can you please just tell us the story? i am dammit, it has lots of parts, lots of sidenotes & distractables. now then let's reinvented the car or build a ramp or maybe go pick apples or throw gravel & get whiskey. but im still painting the house & feeding & watering the dog. fuck, dude, where are my car keys!? (4 min later) oh they're in my pocket, never mind.

chadwick said:

Get out if my brainChad!! Lol I'm 41 and driveeveryonecrazy ON meds! I don't think a lot of people, save for those of us who are affected by these imbalances, understand just how absolutely crazy our lives can be. I've lost my keys whilst they were in my hands! I have both disorders, along with severe PTSD.. Which is NOT a fun combination.. Ok now I need to go clean the house, cook dinner, and read the boards, and maybe add some more to my story.. See ya on the next lap around my brain!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i lose my car keys in my hand too. where the frigg are my sunglasses? oh ...... they're here where i stuck them up at

12 out of 27
    a kitten or a hat
    next

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727

JWPearl said:

brianlux said:

+1you are an awesome dude Brian, one of my favorite people in here!! Keep on being you!
    Thanks JWPearl and whispering hands... though I have to say, it also explains a bit how neurotic I am, haha!

As for being meds-free, a lot of that is just stubbornness and spending a lot of time keeping focused on something outside my head trips. I would never criticize anyone or encourage them to get off med unless they were confident they could do so and had a back up plan in case things got whirly. My doc kept tabs on me for several months when I got off Serzone and was sure I could fly on my own. Really watching my diet and fine tuning the supplements I take has helped as well as very much limiting my intake of alcohol and grass. Most important of all is having a good support system and this place is excellent that way! You guys rock.

Chadwick- next time check your freezer. I've actually found mine there a few times, hahaha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

JWPearl said:

brianlux said:

Thanks JWPearl and whispering hands... though I have to say, it also explains a bit how neurotic I am, haha!

As for being meds-free, a lot of that is just stubbornness and spending a lot of time keeping focused on something outside my head trips. I would never criticize anyone or encourage them to get off med unless they were confident they could do so and had a back up plan in case things got whirly. My doc kept tabs on me for several months when I got off Serzone and was sure I could fly on my own. Really watching my diet and fine tuning the supplements I take has helped as well as very much limiting my intake of alcohol and grass. Most important of all is having a good support system and this place is excellent that way! You guys rock.

Chadwick- next time check your freezer. I've actually found mine there a few times, hahaha!

Yes, this place dies offer an amazing support system. I really love it here!
  • Options
    I have BP with ADD...i'm untreated for the ADD because I'm already on 4 medications between my BP and my migraines...I have a hard time sitting still too, my feet/legs constantly move and fidget with stuff all the time...and I daydream a lot too...it's funny thought because I didn't have ADD or ADHD as a kid, it developed later after I was an adult and the fidgeting has gotten progressively worse, especially since my hip surgery(weird, huh?)...I also misplace my keys when I've just stuck them in my pocket or dropped them in my purse like two seconds before...my brain completely forgets. We know I have the ADD with the BP because I have the chronic issues even when I'm medicated for the BP and the ADD issues regardless of a manic or depressive swing....it sucks...like right now I'm sitting here typing this and my right foot is digging into the carpet...I just can't sit still...

And I really love it here too, I have made some great friends so far BP and non BP alike! :-)
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I'm just really glad that the stigma is becoming lesser. I think more people are realizing that it is something that can't be helped. And thus, they seem to be more understanding these days.
  • Options
    This is true...although, while I was dating before I met my husband I had a lot of guy totally freak on me when I would tell them I was bipolar, I had only one guy that I dated before my hubs not care about it...and I could have fallen hard for him but he ended up getting back with his baby's mother...which is good for the baby if they could work it out, he was a great guy though, but then I was destined to meet my husband who is so understanding and patient with me.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    E
    PJSiren said:

This is true...although, while I was dating before I met my husband I had a lot of guy totally freak on me when I would tell them I was bipolar, I had only one guy that I dated before my hubs not care about it...and I could have fallen hard for him but he ended up getting back with his baby's mother...which is good for the baby if they could work it out, he was a great guy though, but then I was destined to meet my husband who is so understanding and patient with me.

EVERYTHING happens for a reason. :-)
  • Options

E

PJSiren said:

EVERYTHING happens for a reason. :-)
    I do agree with this!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jillian-mccabe-accused-throwing-autistic-son-oregon-bridge-n240606

This woman had a mental breakdown caring for her extremely autistic child, having a husband fighting for his life and losing her father, and did something horrible and unspeakable, and the loss of London is tragic, and makes me so sad! But I do have to say that my heart also goes out to this woman, because I live in this state and I know that the mental health department/help in Oregon is a joke...I'm lucky I have great insurance and found a great doctor, but when I didn't have this insurance I couldn't get helped, I was waitlisted with Kaiser for 2 years to see a mental health professional...and this woman probably doesn't have access to a doctor like mine, and this state severely let her down, and I'm appauled...had she received the help she truly needed, London might still be alive. Oregon's mental health system is insufficient.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    This is sooooo sad! Colorado is horrible with dealing with mental issues as well. And I just feel soo bad when I see this stuff.
  • Options
    The situation all around for this woman is so sad....and I feel horrible for the father if he survives and wakes up to learn what happened to his son...and if he doesn't and he loses his battle then she loses him too and she's going to go even further off the deep end...

Her great aunt speaks in that article and talks about how they tried to get her help but it just wasn't sufficient...and that's the problem here, it's not, and how could they know unless they live with her and see her every day...her family just had no way of knowing that something this awful would happen...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I know.. That's the worst part!! It sometimes feels like no one cares.. But, it's just that their hands are tied by bureaucracy.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Yes, she needed mental health care, but even more than that (and much pre-dating that), she needed proper practical supports to prevent it from getting to this point. She needed the help of additional care-givers, perhaps respite care for her son so she could get a break and some rest, a health care system that was not for-profit. Lots of important supports were missing.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Yes, she needed mental health care, but even more than that (and much pre-dating that), she needed proper practical supports to prevent it from getting to this point. She needed the help of additional care-givers, perhaps respite care for her son so she could get a break and some rest, a health care system that was not for-profit. Lots of important supports were missing.

I totally agree with you. There were many aspects of help that we're neglected.
  • Options
    I agree with this as well.
    Tattooed Dissident!