Options

Good Cop Thread

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    So thankful for police and emergency responders. This is a perfect example.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Cal,careful now.You are going to give Scott a big head.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Scott?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    callen said:

Scott?

Last-12 is Scott.

(and I think he's already reached that point, rr)

I kid, I kid =)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm already a real life caricature.
  • Options
    You stepped up your game since the shooting Scott .Nice work.I feel like we have a reporter right in the middle of things.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

callen said:

Scott?

Last-12 is Scott.

(and I think he's already reached that point, rr)

I kid, I kid =)
    Cal,pay attention dude.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

You stepped up your game since the shooting Scott .Nice work.I feel like we have a reporter right in the middle of things.

No doubt about it! All class all the way, genuine and well expressed emotions, great stuff for sure.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    hey, did ya hear about the cop who went to work, did his job and didnt trample on someones civil rights?

Yeah, me neither.

first this is a bad joke, but it does correalte to the lack of positive stories of police work in comparison to the negative we hear all too often.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    mickeyrat said:

hey, did ya hear about the cop who went to work, did his job and didnt trample on someones civil rights?

Yeah, me neither.

first this is a bad joke, but it does correalte to the lack of positive stories of police work in comparison to the negative we hear all too often.

First off its not a bad joke but a dumb one. Unlike many professions in this world, Police don't need or rarely ever get recognition for the heroic things they have to do and see every fucking day. The only thing the media and liberal society seems to care about now is when the police step on their dick.

Atleast you didn't tell a joke about the 3 Cops that were killed this week throughout the USA. I am sure this wonderful tax paying human being would love your jokes…..https://youtu.be/rSzKWByXwNo

• Options
    I have mentioned in other threads and various postings that there are far too many people in this forum that post their angst/hate for cops.

I call bullshit to each and every single person that does.

There is no way that what they post here they would say to a cop.
    This is not an "I don't like cops website".
    Fo shue

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    edited June 2015
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah, me neither.

I started this thread because at the time we ONLY heard bad cop stories and I knew there were some good ones as well (including ones I have told). But I have to admit, the scale seems to tilt more toward the bad. And I think the main reason for that is the power given to cops. What about other civil servants? How many bad firefighter stories do we hear about? Beside Nurse Ratchet, what other horrible stories do we hear about nurses? The one thing that doesn't seemed to get acknowledged very often is the corruption of power. It takes a person of very strong moral character to not let that power corrupt. Yes? No?

Edit: Numerically, my experiences with cops have been more negative than positive. BUT the positivity of my experiences with good cops outweighs the negativity of the bad experiences. I appreciate the positive experiences and those good people who made them happen and I learn from the negative ones and do my best to forget about the people who made them bad ones. Always move closer to the good.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I recognize cops and thank them for their service every time I see one. Doesn't change the fact that there are many bad ones though recognize the shitty position we've created for them.

More guns! Less education. More corporate profits Police handling our mental patients.

It's not all this or that and good we now have readily available recording devices to capture injustices.
  • Options
    You guys are kidding me with the more bad cops then good thing right?????

If we take society as a whole,or any profession as a whole,I'm sure the percentage number of bad cops to good is less then corporate America.Shit,DRs,Lawyers,politicians all have seedy elements.
    Question for you Brian(not trying to single you out but I'm responding to your post) when you go to your bookstore everyday, is being killed or wounded at work a big concern?How about worrying about being assaulted just because you work at the bookstore ? Do you prepare to make sure you can return home to your lovely wife everyday,because I know law enforcement officers(The 98-99% that would risk their lives to save yours do.)
    It's easy to jump on the band wagon Espescially when we highly publicize police shootings.For every 1 questionable police shooting there is 10,000 good deeds that go un reported.
    Don't be so quick to think 51 % of all cops are bad,that's horse shit.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Dan-o
    So what your saying is it's NOT ok to shoot a cop???Damn stupid fucking people.Im sure if that "good boy" had got shot instead of arrested,that would be the story.Not the long history of violence and aggravated assault he has inflicted on others.Its a joke.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rr165892 said:

You guys are kidding me with the more bad cops then good thing right?????

Lol, was thinking the same thing. Jesus Christ. There are 35,000 cops in NYPD alone. There are bound to be a dozen or two bad ones in the bunch. Same for any major city. Just like there are bound to be bad apples in any profession, or group or population. Hell, I see bad traders in the Lost Dogs forum from time to time, so it even affects our beloved little group here. You hear the most noise about the bad ones, so it is understandable that a negative impression is made. And we should focus on the bad ones to weed them out and prosecute them. But we should not let that focus mess with our perception and skew reality. The reality is that the vast majority are good cops who do their jobs well day in and day out and we hear nothing about them.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Rr, missing where people posted more bad than good.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I read it as meaning the scale is tipped toward the bad in terms of how we talk about it here.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    There are countless threads with blanket statements condemning cops and appealing to those defending the profession to 'wake up and see the problem' (as if this was a indeed a profound problem worthy of the highest level of concern).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

There are countless threads with blanket statements condemning cops and appealing to those defending the profession to 'wake up and see the problem' (as if this was a indeed a profound problem worthy of the highest level of concern).

You're right, TBU, mostly anyway. It's too easy to misconstrue words here. If it were up to me, I'd close all the cop thread and just have one. Same with gun thread- just one. Any major topic that is not specific. One thread, done.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thirty there are plenty in other side ready to defend bad cops as well.

Also feel we have given them to much latitude at times and camera phones big help.
  • Options
    callen said:

Thirty there are plenty in other side ready to defend bad cops as well.

Also feel we have given them to much latitude at times and camera phones big help.

It depends on what you have established as a bad cop.

For example, many felt the cop in the Brown incident was not a bad cop and defended him. The cop that shot the offender in the back after he ran from the pullover (and stole the cop's taser, used it on him, and wrestled with him on two separate occasions) was not viewed as a poor officer either by many. Do you mean these cases?

Although I could be wrong, I can't recall anyone defending the idiot that shot Tamir Rice. The cops that beat Kelly Thomas had no defenders as well.

There have been some clear cut cases where some cops are simply indefensible. There have been others that have prompted debate. Having been a participant in many of these debates, it is my feel that some on here are capable of acknowledging good and bad based on the circumstances of the incident. There are others that see police violence as bad no matter what.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Yeah shooting guy in back would be one. But not talking specifics and or only on this board.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Well done U.K. (I assume) police.

This article goes well with that video:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/police-use-of-force-white-house-told-us-must-learn-from-uk#sthash.NkjWSgF5.dpuf

Cambridge criminologist tells White House task force that translating UK models of policing to US is the best hope in a generation for tackling dangerous rates of ‘justifiable’ homicides committed by US police, and the resultant haemorrhaging of police legitimacy across the nation.

As both a criminologist and a US citizen, it is clear to me that fundamental changes in our structures of policing are needed
    Lawrence Sherman

One of the world’s leading criminologists has told the Presidential task force on 21st century policing that the United States needs to look to the policing policies and practices of the United Kingdom in order to significantly reduce the levels of deadly force used by and against US police.

Cambridge Professor Lawrence Sherman said that the professional policing structures in England and Wales, developed since 1856, provide the best possible model for a transition to US policy at a state level, where legal powers of policing lie for most US crimes.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Brian and Dig,although this had a non violent ending.This guy should have been shot when he advanced wielding the knife.At very least tazed.If the police in UK don't carry guns.

But our wackos here have to many guns for this approach.If this guy was in the states all 3 officers woulda filled him with bullets and justified in doing so.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rr165892 said:

Brian and Dig,although this had a non violent ending.This guy should have been shot when he advanced wielding the knife.At very least tazed.If the police in UK don't carry guns.

But our wackos here have to many guns for this approach.If this guy was in the states all 3 officers woulda filled him with bullets and justified in doing so.

How can you argue with the results rr? No one was killed or seriously injured. The threat was subdued. I think this speaks to the excellent training of the officers. Excellent police work all around.

I agree, most likely if this was in the states the guy would have been wasted. But I think that speaks to the bad training and pervasive gun violence in the the US.

Brians article is a perfect fit for the situation in the video.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

rr, I strongly disagree. Did you read the article I linked above?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Responding to both of you.
    Yes I did.And I think working toward more non violent solutions is a good thing,but like the film above ,what if all the backpedalling and Shouted directives from the officers failed to stop this agitated individual?Is it worth risking the life of an officer because some crazy fuck with a knife you see in a horror flick is charging?
    If the perp listens to orders to begin with then no shooting needs to happen.When the individual decides to charge that was his desciscion and consequences are on him,not the cops.He is a threat,and what happens the next time he does this?

Slippery slope .Where do you draw the line.Certainly you don't feel every situation can be handled without violence? That would be living in a fantasy world.
    Post edited by rr165892 on