Options

Good Cop Thread

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
While visiting good friends in a neighboring town, the daughter of the couple showed up and a while later the son-in-law came by as well. I hadn't seen my friend's daughter and son-in-law since the young couple got married and I had never had opportunity to talk to the son-in-law. As it turns out, he is a Sheriff's Deputy for Sacramento County. Now, Sac county is not the roughest beat nor the grittiest town in the country but it has some very tough neighborhoods and has it's fair share of high risk crime, murders, etc. Talking with this young officer, I was impressed by how much he likes his job, doing it because he sees it as a way to help the community. I felt very comfortable talking with this guy. I had a real sense that he truly wants to be a helper and do good things. I felt like I could trust him greatly if need be. I was really glad to have had the opportunity to meet him.

Since we've heard plenty about bad cops (and yes, there are some really, really bad one's out there, for sure) I thought it might be a good idea to share stories we have about the good cops we meet out there as well. If we want them to do a good job, let's give them credit where credit is due. I'm sure the goods one's get a lot of flack and could use some support.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Agreed ... there are plenty of good cops. Part of the problem is the perception ... most of us only deal with cops when the are giving us a ticket, I would guess the vast majority never deal with a cop who is actually helping them ... or at least that's how I see it. You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in some of those big cities.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I just met two cops on the way to the bus and they looked very good ;)
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Frequently thank cops for their profession.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    I will share a story about a good cops. I use to date a guy that turned out to be an abusive jerk. One weekend, one of my cousins was getting married and I wanted to go to the wedding. Like many abusive men, they will try to isolate the woman from her family and friends etc... Anyways, of course, he threw a big fit and said I couldn't go(control). So when the day of the wedding came, I waited for the jerk to leave to go to the store to get cigs, and I left and went to the wedding. Later, that night when I got back to my apt. he was there waiting for me, furious. The fighting started and he was slapping me around, and hitting me, I was screaming and somebody that just happened to be walking by on the sidewalk in front of my window heard my screams and called the cops. I was trying to escape my apt.to get away from him and when I got loose from his grip, I ran towards the door only to find the deadbolt locked and he stuck butter knives in the door frame as well. The cops arrived and were banging on the door . The jerk was on me and pulled me away from the door and I managed to reach my arm and flip the deadbolt open, screaming the whole time that he has a knife. Alarmed, the cops busted in the door and I tried bolted away from the jerk and I couldn't get out of his death grip. The cops came through the door all at once and one yanked me away from him, and two of the cops sandwiched me, covering me with their bodies, while the other two were fighting the jerk down to the ground. They finally got the cuffs on him and hauled him away. I know if those cops wouldn't have came when they did and protected me with their bodies, I would have been stabbed and possibly died that night. I am one of the lucky ones, that survived abuse. With that being said, Domestic calls are one of the most dangerous for the cops to respond to, and a good example of why.
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure where men drift from the paths of normalcy to become jerks like the one you described, OMG?

I'm of the opinion that people who consistently hate cops are those that settle on their views very easily and are stubborn to move from them- even when presented with sound reason and logic.

It is a foolish mistake to think that cops are collectively 'bad'. There are some bad cops- we definitely hear of them when they perform poorly- but the overwhelming majority are good.

I'd echo what Lukin stated, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. To that end, we don't pay cops enough. Our RCMP used to be a very respected position in our society with a stringent application process that managed to solicit the finest people for the profession (with occasional errors made of course). Nowadays, the RCMP recruit like mad because nobody sees the value in placing your life on the line and being generally disrespected for a career that sees one make less than a Loomis driver (nothing against Loomis drivers).

Outside of fanatical lunatics, we all want cops, but we don't want to pay them and we don't actively support them. A real tough gig- just try asking the two cops in Vegas or the three in Moncton.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    unbelievable story, OMGkatwoman! glad you are still here to share it.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Thank you OMGkatwoman for sharing your story.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, OMGkatwoman, and so glad you got through that ok.

We're fortunate to have an excellent organization in town called The Center for Violence-free Relationships (formerly the El Dorado Women's Center). They do great work in helping protect people- most often women- from abuse.

Our police department is also generally made up of good, hardworking men and women. They were supportive of me when I organized our 350.org "Step it Up" rally on the steps of city hall. They gave me the ok to do it and told me to contact them if we were harassed (which fortunately didn't happen).

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    katwoman, good to know you've gotten past (and seemingly above) the life you lived.

While I applaud the effort of this thread, it strikes me as sad it even needs to be said.

I mean, we don't slap the "good/bad" label on other groups of people or vocations...do we? Should we?

No one, from any walk of life, could be completely characterized as either.

Given their profession, I do hold the police to a higher standard (and am more than willing to pay them for their service; I have as long as I've been paying taxes!) but at the same time I realize they're human beings. Fallible. Prone to adrenalin, to emotion.

Not discounting others' experiences and aside from one incident in my teens, my encounters with the police have ultimately been positive and left me with a decent feeling about the them as individuals - caring, professional, gentle, and when needed, pretty kickass.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Thanks everyone, just thought it was important to mention for many reasons, but, mostly for my gratitude to the responding officers and the many others that place their own lives on the line everyday. :)>-
  • Options
    hedonist said:

While I applaud the effort of this thread, it strikes me as sad it even needs to be said.

I mean, we don't slap the "good/bad" label on other groups of people or vocations...do we? Should we?

Good point, H. though we actually we do with some other groups- bands for example. Not that we should. I mean after all, a lot of people like Nickelback. I'm not a fan, but why would I described them as "bad"? I've had people tell me Pearl Jam sucks. Why would they say that? So perhaps we should not go there.

Yes, it is sad but to me also that we even need to have this thread but it's even more sad that on a fan site of a band that is socially conscious, that I would feel the need to offset all the hateful threads about this particular group of people. That kind of baffles me.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hiya, B.

I think bands - art in general - is subjective. Open to perception, soul, experience...kind of a take-it-as-you-will thing.

Passive? Probably.

Either way, OK by me.

(though I too am not a fan of Nickelback - and I may or may not have said I think they're bland and blow)

Whereas actions - words too in a sense - much more measurable...solid is a word that fits for now.

Able to see / feel the ripple-effects. Get a sense of the person, their character, behind those actions and the badge.

So back to your intent, in a nutshell...with ya :)
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I had to go to the County Sheriff's office today for fingerprints for a Federal Firearms License to obtain some tax stamps and the officer that did my prints was very cool and supportive of my quest and the amount of hoops one has to go through to obtain said license. There is a relatively new and obscure state law that actually gives some of our freedom back. We talked about how shocked we were that the state passed that legislation.

Anyone that thinks getting this done is easy, is crazy.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I had to go to the County Sheriff's office today for fingerprints for a Federal Firearms License to obtain some tax stamps and the officer that did my prints was very cool and supportive of my quest and the amount of hoops one has to go through to obtain said license. There is a relatively new and obscure state law that actually gives some of our freedom back. We talked about how shocked we were that the state passed that legislation.

Anyone that thinks getting this done is easy, is crazy.

I'm glad to hear you had a good interaction with a police officer! I'm also glad to hear that obtaining a Federal Firearms License is not easy. Please don't take that personally. It's not because you specifically had to go through the hoops, I just think it's the way it should be. I'll bet it's just as hard to obtain air conditioning refrigerant or liquid nitrogen or napalm. Some things should just not be easy to obtain.

Hmmm, funny how this is morphing into into a g-u-n thread. Can we please not go there? =;

Thank you.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited November 2014
    The original good cop thread
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    It's nice to see either way.. Police get bad raps as a whole for the crap that the bad cops do. But in general they usually get knot that field because they want to better their community.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Sorry Brian, I would've posted that story here had I seen the thread. I didn't do a search.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Lets just hope that there are only a few bad apples and that the Majority of the ones out there are Good cops.
  • Options
    This happened in my neck of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTnLVzI2q4
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Who the fuck goes camping and a haul all that shit ... isn't their enough noise pollution in everyday life that people can't going camping without bringing their noise with them.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

Sorry Brian, I would've posted that story here had I seen the thread. I didn't do a search.

No worries- I forgot I had started this thread too! :))

Yeah, kind of weird having noise guitar and cop drummer in the woods. I feel the same way about people shooting in national, and state forests and BLM land, all of which is generally allowable and better than my neighbors shooting (which is what woke me up this morning thanks a lot assholes) but that kind of thing does make the woods less accessible for those of us who want to enjoy nature without the human noise factor.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I take an acoustic guitar with me when I car camp, it is generally much preferred to those who bring effin radios! Drums is just crazy, get yourself a damn djembe!
    If you want to get away from the yahoos you gotta get a few miles from the nearest parking lot.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I take an acoustic guitar with me when I car camp, it is generally much preferred to those who bring effin radios! Drums is just crazy, get yourself a damn djembe!
    If you want to get away from the yahoos you gotta get a few miles from the nearest parking lot.

For sure.

"You can't see anything from your car. You've got to get out of the damn thing and walk!"
    -Edward Abbey

• Options
    I guess I should have posted that RCMP drumming video in the police abuse thread ;)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited December 2014
    I went into a Walmart today (working not shopping) and found about 30 state troopers shopping with kids and it was nice to see. Lots of smiles and piggyback rides.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The RCMP drumming video was funny other than the guys making noise in the woods.

This video probably also belongs in the "The Idiot Thread". Haha!