Options

Some People's Dogs

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dogs are animals and animals are unpredictable. My Brittany spaniel growing up was the nicest dog ever.  One time I got between him and his bone and he let out this growl I had never heard before. I actual saw anger in his eyes. That moment taught me to never trust any animal 100% of the time. 
    Wow, Brittany Spaniels are so good natured!  
    good natured until they're not. 

:wink:
    YES!!!! lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A friend of mine lives up the street and has two pit bulls. I've been letting them out a couple times a week lately when she works late.  Both are really sweet dogs.  I'm sure a lot of it comes down to the owner and what type of environment the dog is raised in.  Even still, as someone mentioned, dogs are still predators and their animal instincts can take over at any moment.  I don't think this is exclusive to pit bulls, but I do think a lot of pit bulls owners raise them to be aggressive.
    Myself, I prefer smaller dogs.  I just don't like 80lbs of dog jumping on me and trying to share my seat. I would never own a great dane, pit bull, boxer, german shephard, or even a lab for that matter.  They're are just too damn big and cumbersome.  Give me a Jack Russell, Sheltie, Basenji, Shiba Inu, or Whippet.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    My rule of thumb is that I don't trust any creature that can take a bigger poop than I can.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A friend of mine lives up the street and has two pit bulls. I've been letting them out a couple times a week lately when she works late.  Both are really sweet dogs.  I'm sure a lot of it comes down to the owner and what type of environment the dog is raised in.  Even still, as someone mentioned, dogs are still predators and their animal instincts can take over at any moment.  I don't think this is exclusive to pit bulls, but I do think a lot of pit bulls owners raise them to be aggressive.
    Myself, I prefer smaller dogs.  I just don't like 80lbs of dog jumping on me and trying to share my seat. I would never own a great dane, pit bull, boxer, german shephard, or even a lab for that matter.  They're are just too damn big and cumbersome.  Give me a Jack Russell, Sheltie, Basenji, Shiba Inu, or Whippet.
    Done!

https://youtu.be/j_QLzthSkfM
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,811
    Jason P said:
    My rule of thumb is that I don't trust any creature that can take a bigger poop than I can.
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Terrible.
    I'm also disturbed by the reaction by the school though. Sounds like they're going to lock those kids in tight. Let's hope the next attack isn't with a gun, because the kids will no longer have an escape route off the playground, apparently!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    JWPearl said:
    I like to read your posts your a top bloke if I must say from reading your posts I definitely agree with alot of your views, keep posting :)
    For the record--I disagree with all of this.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    JWPearl said:
    I like to read your posts your a top bloke if I must say from reading your posts I definitely agree with alot of your views, keep posting :)
    For the record--I disagree with all of this.
    Well it's a JWPearl post, so that's kind of a given, lol. ;) (joke at Thirty's expense :lol: )
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I have missed what's going on?
  • Options
    I have missed what's going on?
    See the top of this thread's first page, lol.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Brian's Dinosaur Jr is HFD's Headstones. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    brianlux said:

Brian's Dinosaur Jr is HFD's Headstones. 
    :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Pitbull chases family pet into its own home and shreds it:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bc-man-warning-others-after-‘massive’-dog-enters-home-‘shreds’-family-pet/ar-BBR3eas?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

And I never bothered to click on the other links detailing '2 dogs put down after attacking 75 year old man'... or '5 year old undergoes surgery'... or 'witnesses describe horror of attack on animal control officer'.

Some dogs are clearly a menace- if not a latent threat. It begs repeating: owners need to be held criminally responsible for their choices. If you got a little weenie and need a big bad dog to elevate your testosterone levels... and your dog goes and maims someone or someone's pet... you should face charges. And I'm not talking the piddly little fines that people cash their recyclables in to pay. I'm talking real accountability. You're doing time, loser.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Are pit bulls not banned where some of you folks are?  Been banned in Ontario for while.  Pit bulls should not be pets, they are one f the strongest and most aggressive breed, and often the owners train them to be aggressive.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Not the best quality video.  But its a great video showing the strength, power and agility that pit bulls have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFVCDtSTflk
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    Are pit bulls not banned where some of you folks are?  Been banned in Ontario for while.  Pit bulls should not be pets, they are one f the strongest and most aggressive breed, and often the owners train them to be aggressive.
    Not banned here and I've never met a pit bull that wasn't sweet and loving.  Jumpy and strong, sure, but never aggressive.  Of course, all their owners have been caring people who spent time with them as pups and trained them to be gentle.  There will always be exceptions but I really think a lot of it comes down to ownership (and there will always be animal instinct no matter how gentle you train).  Many owners do raise them to be aggressive, and those who do, usually purchase or adopt them with that sole purpose in mind from the start.  These people need to not own dogs of any kind, let alone a big, strong breed.
  • Options
    I will add that almost all of the dog listings at our local shelter are pit bulls or mixed pits. So, a lot of people either don't want them or fear them or can't handle them.
  • Options
    Not banned here and I've never met a pit bull that wasn't sweet and loving.  Jumpy and strong, sure, but never aggressive.  Of course, all their owners have been caring people who spent time with them as pups and trained them to be gentle.  There will always be exceptions but I really think a lot of it comes down to ownership (and there will always be animal instinct no matter how gentle you train).  Many owners do raise them to be aggressive, and those who do, usually purchase or adopt them with that sole purpose in mind from the start.  These people need to not own dogs of any kind, let alone a big, strong breed.

Before they were banned I knew people who had pit bulls, they were as you described very friendly.  I think the problem when a pit bull attacks the end results a can be horrific.

Sometimes even stomach turning.  So I understand people's concerns.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I will add that almost all of the dog listings at our local shelter are pit bulls or mixed pits. So, a lot of people either don't want them or fear them or can't handle them.
    Probably a mix of everything you listed, they expensive to feed, so I've been told...

I will not lie, pit bulls are impressive.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Not the best quality video.  But its a great video showing the strength, power and agility that pit bulls have.

Holy Christ.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Holy Christ.
    They are one powerful animal.  Have you got to close to a pit bull?  The town I lived in the '90s, a fellow down the street had one, very friendly dog, I never felt threatened ... but when I would pet it, you just feel the muscle tone and the strength.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    We’ve lived beside two pit bulls (two separate times).

One was friendly... the other one attacked a German Shephard that was another Neighbour's dog. Two or three days later the German Shepard attacked my son who was a toddler at the time.
  • Options
    We’ve lived beside two pit bulls (two separate times).

One was friendly... the other one attacked a German Shephard that was another Neighbour's dog. Two or three days later the German Shepard attacked my son who was a toddler at the time.
    Hopefully, your son was fine. Hopefully, the dog had all its shots.  I just watched a show.  The German Shephard was ranked as a dangerous breed as well, in some, the shepherd is banned...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    This all suggests to me that pit bulls should absolutely be banned (a breeding and acquisition ban that is). The good owners are irrelevant to the argument IMO. They aren't going to prevent the bad owners from being bad owners. Nobody is. And they aren't going to prevent the attacks by previously sweet and gentle dogs either, and yes, that happens.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    This all suggests to me that pit bulls should absolutely be banned (a breeding and acquisition ban that is). The good owners are irrelevant to the argument IMO. They aren't going to prevent the bad owners from being bad owners. Nobody is. And they aren't going to prevent the attacks by previously sweet and gentle dogs either, and yes, that happens.
    "THAT NEVER WOULDA HAPPENED IF THERE HAD BEEN A GOOD GUY WITH A PITT BULL AROUND!". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com