Options

Some People's Dogs

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    nice looking puppies, unsung. nicely done. chicago living probably requires a good little rott to be around

the chows that lived with us were great guard dogs for us. sleepless at night or light sleepers.
    check every bedroom at night several times as they made their rounds, walk in the bedrooms & smell each of us...5 ppl total.
    these dogs did not (do not) go far from mom's side.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    unsung said:

You don't even know. He is unreal.

My step-father was a K9 police officer for about fifteen years so I have pretty good handle on big dogs, we've always had Rotts in the family. I will always have one.

Your dogs look beautiful. The 'stuffy' story cracks me up: dogs are hilarious. Growing up, at our cabin, we had people come by and always bring their dogs with them. So, essentially what would happen is after a bunch of people arrived, a pack would form. It would be the most ridiculous pack you'd ever see: big dogs, little dogs, scruffy looking dogs, and everything in between. I don't recall there ever being a fight other than an occasional snarl when they began to get cranky at the end of a long weekend.

You've said a mouthful in this post, Unsung: not everyone has the skill set to handle such large animals. I'm glad you do and I don't doubt you would be a great owner.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    awww such cuties!! I wish i could post my boxer mutts, we could turn this into a dog pic thread ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Two posts in and dogs get compared to guns. Rich!

Let's see: I can't point my gun at a teller and demand money. I can't bring my dog in to a bar while I alter my mind, get into a fight and then pull my dog's tail to attack the guy I disagree with. Such in Florida, I can't bring my dog into a movie theatre and when some asshat is texting, sic my dog on him because I don't like what he is doing. My dog has a brain and can make his/her own decison about what is going on with the choice to attack or not. A gun just plain out kills.

So on to the real topic that was posted. I agree with Brian. You tie your dog up in the backyard and only walk it when you want to look like a thug we all know that dog is not trained properly. You love your dog and pay attention to it, it will be a loving companion for life.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Unsung. Thanks for sharing, great pics. CJ7 or Scrambler are on my car bucket list.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2014

Let's see: I can't point my gun at a teller and demand money. I can't bring my dog in to a bar while I alter my mind, get into a fight and then pull my dog's tail to attack the guy I disagree with. Such in Florida, I can't bring my dog into a movie theatre and when some asshat is texting, sic my dog on him because I don't like what he is doing. My dog has a brain and can make his/her own decison about what is going on with the choice to attack or not. A gun just plain out kills.

So on to the real topic that was posted. I agree with Brian. You tie your dog up in the backyard and only walk it when you want to look like a thug we all know that dog is not trained properly. You love your dog and pay attention to it, it will be a loving companion for life.

I feel I have been outspoken and overly opinionated in this thread, but I am okay with people selecting the pet that best suits them.

The bottom line though, linked to what you have expressed here is: when you are that loser wishing to look like a thug, have not trained your dog properly and it hurts someone... you should be held accountable. And not just, "Say you're sorry" accountable like the two dooshes in the OP.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'll drink to that! Cheers!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    callen said:

Unsung. Thanks for sharing, great pics. CJ7 or Scrambler are on my car bucket list.

Don't get me started on Jeeps, I've had three. I had a 1997 TJ that I totally rebuilt, then bought a 06 Rubicon in blue that was already done. It had a rebuilt title on it and a work collegue offered to buy it so I went out and bought a black 06 Rubicon that was stock. He then backed out so I was stuck with two. I ended up selling the blue one for a big loss, and just traded in the black one for a diesel VW that gets 45 mpg. That 12 mpg on the Jeep was killing me since I drive 60 miles each day rt for work.

I do miss it, especially since the weather has warmed up and I see tons driving around with the top and doors off. I'll get another in a few years after we move.
  • Options

to be fair and think about the other side of it.. A gun cant escape its home and go terrorize a neighbor for unknown reasons.
    I say,
    NO! Breed specific bans..but
    Better protocol in investigating potential problem dogs weighing over 50lbs..and
    Major consequences for severe bites and all "attacks"

sad sad story, there was an elderly woman mauled somewhere hereabouts who had a specific fear that her neighbors dogs (chained outside) wanted to killl her..she reported them many times and eventually the dogs got out and killed her..so sad and so preventable.
  • Options
    A couple things with this story:

1. Obviously, there is a dog that was vicious, attacked a man, and needed several blows with a baseball bat (laughing off the first one) to stop mauling the man who had fallen.

2. The dog's bites were not directly responsible for the death of the man- it is believed (at this point in time) that a heart related issue was the causal factor. Obviously, the dog attack had a level of responsibility in stressing the heart.

3. Some dog owner is not willing to come forward and claim responsibility for raising a ferocious beast or, at a minimum, unaware his loving pet has been missing for a few days.

4. The cops on the scene exercised way more patience than I would have given the magnitude of the scene: Police arrived and stood between the prone victim and the growling dog, weapons drawn. The dog fled when animal control officers tried to secure it.

Guess we won't find these cops in the Police Abuse thread.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/officials-looking-for-dog’s-owner-after-attack-that-ended-with-man-dead-in-the-street/ar-AAcOWQT
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What timing - I've had Pit Bulls & Parolees going here and it always makes me think of this thread, of how some people have such little (or no) regard for the animals they should be caring for.

Dogs can be so resilient. Beautiful, intuitive animals.

It's an awful story, Thirty. In the photo, the dog appears underweight (and holds incredible sadness in his face and eyes). I truly hope he wasn't abused, but the cynical side of me thinks he was, especially with his first reaction to being hit.

Also think his owner won't come forward on his/her own.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

What timing - I've had Pit Bulls & Parolees going here and it always makes me think of this thread, of how some people have such little (or no) regard for the animals they should be caring for.

It's an awful story, Thirty. In the photo, the dog appears underweight (and holds incredible sadness in his face and eyes). I truly hope he wasn't abused, but the cynical side of me thinks he was, especially with his first reaction to being hit.

Good point with regards to the dog ignoring the blow with the bat.

If the dog had been raised properly, if it had come across a person in distress, it would have been nursing the man instead of gnawing on him. I re-read a portion of this thread and it needs to be said again: not everyone who wants a dog should have a dog.
  • Options

hedonist said:

If the dog had been raised properly, if it had come across a person in distress, it would have been nursing the man instead of gnawing on him. I re-read a portion of this thread and it needs to be said again: not everyone who wants a dog should have a dog.
    Amen, my friend.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Amen, my friend.
    Preach! I've just heard some heartbreaking news about the family of someone i know (notice I'm not using the word friend) who had to move & therefore rehomed one dog to someone they barely knew and put down another who was old but not sick. I know WH got some shit for expressing similar sentiments, but I truthfully prefer animals to some humans.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Don't keep dangerous animals in areas where other people live.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    With no debate whatsoever OP
    Fuck this breed.
  • Options
    You can't make this shit up.

I'm mountain biking today. Coming down from the mountain top, I come around a switchback and what do you know... a behemoth pitbull running at me. Yay!

The owner yells, "She's friendly!"

Of course she is. She promptly latches on to my left calve. The owner yells, "Cookie!!" And then races up to grab her.

I stopped and stood there shocked. I looked at her and said, "I guess shes not that friendly, eh?"

The owner said, "She's just confused by the bikes" (I was with three other guys).

It happened so fast, I didn't really know how to respond. But now that I'm home and looking at my calve muscle... I'm steamed.

We've come across bears, golden retrievers, labs, little dogs, and you name it. The only thing to attack us has been a pitbull. I wonder why? No, I don't. I know why. The breed is f**king useless (outside of guarding dangerous people in prisons that is). And don't give me any of that f**king "it's not the dog... it's the owner" bullshit because that's the same company line this goofy owner spewed at people when trying to tell them that pitbulls are cool and so was 'Cookie'.

I'm buying bear spray. The next time someone's f**king dog goes running towards me when I'm on the trails... I'm spraying it. If the owner says anything... I'm spraying them too.

F**k me. No. F**k them. Gawddamn f**king dog owners with shitty dogs.

Yes. I'm pissed off.
  • Options
    Oh Thirty, I'm so sorry. Can only imagine the panic and really hope your pain is at a minimum.

In good conscience (and as, over time, we've come to respectfully disagree on this), I'm unable to blame the animal no matter the breed. Fucking owners need to be responsible toward their pets AND their community. Keep your dogs leashed and keep others safe in their presence.

Totally get your being pissed. Hope you're doing a bit better now.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited September 2015

I'm mountain biking today. Coming down from the mountain top, I come around a switchback and what do you know... a behemoth pitbull running at me. Yay!

Of course she is. She promptly latches on to my left calve. The owner yells, "Cookie!!" And then races up to grab her.

I stopped and stood there shocked. I looked at her and said, "I guess shes not that friendly, eh?"

The owner said, "She's just confused by the bikes" (I was with three other guys).

It happened so fast, I didn't really know how to respond. But now that I'm home and looking at my calve muscle... I'm steamed.

We've come across bears, golden retrievers, labs, little dogs, and you name it. The only thing to attack us has been a pitbull. I wonder why? No, I don't. I know why. The breed is f**king useless (outside of guarding dangerous people in prisons that is). And don't give me any of that f**king "it's not the dog... it's the owner" bullshit because that's the same company line this goofy owner spewed at people when trying to tell them that pitbulls are cool and so was 'Cookie'.

I'm buying bear spray. The next time someone's f**king dog goes running towards me when I'm on the trails... I'm spraying it. If the owner says anything... I'm spraying them too.

Yes. I'm pissed off.

Did you get any info from the owner or anything? I feel like this dog needs to be reported. Next time it might be a toddler's face instead of a man's calf, while the owner keeps insisting it wouldn't hurt a fly - it just gets confused by bikes. :|

(I don't buy this "it's all about the owners" line either. Many pitbulls wirh great owners have attacked. The owners all say "he's never done anything like that before". Well none of them have... until they do)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    Damn, Thirty, that sucks! Very sorry to hear about this. I agree with PJ_Soul- the lady that owns the dog that bit you needs to be held accountable.

Also, this fascination with American pit bull Terriers (a.k.a. "pit bulls") needs to end. I've known some very sweet "pit bulls" but they've gotten to be a fad and if not properly trained they can be dangerous. When I see one with it's owner I immediately look at the owner to asses the situation. Too many times I am left feeling wary.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Bull terriers*

Also you guys are nuts.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    edited September 2015

Yes. I'm pissed off.

Curious, do you think if the dog was leashed you would have gotten bit?

Edit typo.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Why it's still on bucket list. Not practical but fun !!! Dad bough

Yes. I'm pissed off.

Feel you Thirty. Hope you heel up pre dog bite.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    One of my best buds has two of this breed. (Don't want to call them wrong name HA). Hung with him and his dogs many times. The big male is skittish and I know I can't make eye contact because he gets into defense mode. Sorry I don't trust this breed one bit. I'm a dog guy and do t have issues communicating with them but this breed, different for me.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mickeyrat said:

Yes. I'm pissed off.

Curious, do you think if the god was leashed you would have gotten bit?
    Well, gods can be dangerous, leashed or not.

Thirty, hoping your leg isn't too badly torn up; I know those bites can be pretty serious.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2015
    Sore. And still pissed off.

The dog wasn't going to be on a leash in this setting- its out of town and in the mountain. If it had been on a leash, it likely wouldn't have gotten me; but that's not the issue in this situation.

We shouldn't come across dogs that need to be leashed or they will attack you.

The dog was out of its mind and consumed with whatever was in its simple f**king dog mind about me that motivated the filthy animal to bite me. I never startled the pair... it had seen me coming and was running away from its owner up the trail towards me. I had to slow down because it was running directly at me- to the point of stopping (where it began investigating my leg with its jaws and teeth).

I'm not surprised and neither were my friends. We all agreed the dog and the breed of the dog are a nemesis to society. For every proud pitbull owner (like this one prior to yesterday)... there's a child or a mountain biker bitten.

As I've said earlier... all the times we've biked... we've come across several dogs and even bears. None have taken the slightest interest in us. This f**king dog was completely different than the other animals though. Dangerous and needs to go. Sorry, but its the truth. People should not be in positions to be wary of dogs. Dogs should be respectful of people you know... the things that place food in their bowls.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    And to all those wishing well- thank you. I'll be fine. Just really aggravated.

LOL... I was wondering if there was a fist pump or two!
  • Options

The dog wasn't going to be on a leash in this setting- its out of town and in the mountain. If it had been on a leash, it likely wouldn't have gotten me; but that's not the issue in this situation.

The dog was out of its mind and consumed with whatever was in its simple f**king dog mind about me that motivated the filthy animal to bite me. I never startled the pair... it had seen me coming and was running away from its owner up the trail towards me. I had to slow down because it was running directly at me- to the point of stopping (where it began investigating my leg with its jaws and teeth).

I'm not surprised and neither were my friends. We all agreed the dog and the breed of the dog are a nemesis to society. For every proud pitbull owner (like this one prior to yesterday)... there's a child or a mountain biker bitten.

As I've said earlier... all the times we've biked... we've come across several dogs and even bears. None have taken the slightest interest in us. This f**king dog was completely different than the other animals though. Dangerous and needs to go. Sorry, but its the truth. People should not be in positions to be wary of dogs. Dogs should be respectful of people you know... the things that place food in their bowls.

I hike in the mountains all the time and my dogs stay on leash, it's for their safety as well as the wildlife and people we may come across.
    The rest of your contribution is just an angry rant (justified of course).
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I hike in the mountains all the time and my dogs stay on leash, it's for their safety as well as the wildlife and people we may come across.
    You don't let your dogs run, RG?

The rest of my post might be an angry rant... but there's some truth in there. In particular, I don't want a society where dangerous- even potentially dangerous dogs- trump the safety and well being of people minding their own business.

Outside of prisons... we don't need dogs that require a leash to prevent them from chewing on people. WTF is that?

Kind of like guns, RG. Everyone's a responsible owner until their shit dog goes and bites someone: "Oh my Gawd. I'm sooo sorry. I don't know what came over her?"

Yah. Go have fun with Cookie now. Make sure she doesn't bite some kids face off riding a big wheel by your house.
  • Options

rgambs said:

You don't let your dogs run, RG?

The rest of my post might be an angry rant... but there's some truth in there. In particular, I don't want a society where dangerous- even potentially dangerous dogs- trump the safety and well being of people minding their own business.

Outside of prisons... we don't need dogs that require a leash to prevent them from chewing on people. WTF is that?

Kind of like guns, RG. Everyone's a responsible owner until their shit dog goes and bites someone: "Oh my Gawd. I'm sooo sorry. I don't know what came over her?"

Yah. Go have fun with Cookie now. Make sure she doesn't bite some kids face off riding a big wheel by your house.
    I can't say I never let them run, sometimes I do, but not for long and only when we are in serious wilderness territory (at least a days hike from trailhead). They get to run in the woods at my house but I live in the serious boonies, and they get to run when I run with them. They are friendly, but you never know what will happen so it's better safe than sorry.
    Any dog is capable of chewing on someone, that's why they should all be leashed, just like guns should be locked away properly.