Options

Some People's Dogs

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    and for those who think it's a general dog problem, and not specific to those few breeds that everyone seems to want to focus on:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2013.php

Regardless of the web site author's motives, stats are stats,
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

Here's a problem:

Two idiots in Liverpool own a dog and raise it very poorly. They don't feed it for a couple of days and, hungry, it attacks a neighbour and tries to eat him- check that- it does eat him:

The Presa Canario dog, which originated in Spain's Canary Islands, is renowned as a large powerful breed but is not banned in the UK. The court heard that the "wild" and "out of control" Presa Canario sank its teeth into Mr Clarke's arm and dragged him around his garden. The dog effectively chewed his arm off and also mauled his other arm. Mr Clarke died from multiple injuries and blood loss.

Have no fear and don't worry too much for the owners though:

Two women have been jailed for 12 months each after the pensioner was "literally eaten alive" by their dog.

The poor, poor dog owners. That's pretty stiff you know... getting a year in prison. It's not their fault a man lost his life in horrific fashion is it? They knew their dog was dangerous, but they probably didn't think it was... like... gonna eat someone though:

Last month, Hayley Sulley, 30, and Della Woods, 29, pleaded guilty to an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act of allowing a dog to enter a place where it was not allowed to be and where it injured a person. Today, both women wept in the dock at Liverpool Crown Court as Judge Mark Brown told them Mr Clarke's death was "entirely avoidable".

I get a kick out of the judges comment "entirely avoidable". Duh. Do ya think?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/two-women-jailed-after-dog-3639842

never heard of this breed. so i looked the puppies up & found a little video on them & some training. not good if they're on you. the ppl who had that dog that ate their neighbor are a couple of frickin idiots to the highest order. how do you not feed & water a dog even more than once a day? this breed here are pretty massive dogs. these dudes need grub & a lot of it. idiots are everywhere & so are neighbors who get chewed to death
    http://youtu.be/mPuVubVtvWI
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    @binfrog, I like your statement at the end of your post, since the site is obviously and completely biased against pit bulls. not sure if I could trust those stats, especially since the first study says clear as day that the info they got is from "press accounts". how convenient for them since the media doesn't really give a shit about any dog attacks other than bull dogs.

if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

just saw an article about a Catahoula hound that killed a 2 and half month old baby. really sad.

just out of a personal curiosity, for all you pro breed specific legislation people, what is the criteria to make it on your list? what does a dog have to do to make it on your ban list? and what is your opinion on what should be done with all the dogs you don't like, deportation? euthanasia?

If it can take a bigger poop then me then it's on the list.
  • Options
    and what's your thoughts on removal? deportation, euthanasia? clicking your heels three times and saying there's no place like a place without big dogs?
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

and for those who think it's a general dog problem, and not specific to those few breeds that everyone seems to want to focus on:

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2013.php

Regardless of the web site author's motives, stats are stats,

Together, pit bulls (25) and rottweilers (1), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 81% of the total recorded deaths in 2013. This same combination accounted for 74% of all fatal attacks during the 9-year period of 2005 to 2013.

In 2013, over one-third, 38% (12), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred, up from 32% in 2012.

Argue as much as you want, but the bottom line to me is:
    1. Unpredictable.
    2. Dangerous.
    3. 1+2 do not make for great pets. Sorry.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Here's a problem:

Two idiots in Liverpool own a dog and raise it very poorly. They don't feed it for a couple of days and, hungry, it attacks a neighbour and tries to eat him- check that- it does eat him:

The Presa Canario dog, which originated in Spain's Canary Islands, is renowned as a large powerful breed but is not banned in the UK. The court heard that the "wild" and "out of control" Presa Canario sank its teeth into Mr Clarke's arm and dragged him around his garden. The dog effectively chewed his arm off and also mauled his other arm. Mr Clarke died from multiple injuries and blood loss.

Have no fear and don't worry too much for the owners though:

Two women have been jailed for 12 months each after the pensioner was "literally eaten alive" by their dog.

The poor, poor dog owners. That's pretty stiff you know... getting a year in prison. It's not their fault a man lost his life in horrific fashion is it? They knew their dog was dangerous, but they probably didn't think it was... like... gonna eat someone though:

Last month, Hayley Sulley, 30, and Della Woods, 29, pleaded guilty to an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act of allowing a dog to enter a place where it was not allowed to be and where it injured a person. Today, both women wept in the dock at Liverpool Crown Court as Judge Mark Brown told them Mr Clarke's death was "entirely avoidable".

I get a kick out of the judges comment "entirely avoidable". Duh. Do ya think?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/two-women-jailed-after-dog-3639842

never heard of this breed. so i looked the puppies up & found a little video on them & some training. not good if they're on you. the ppl who had that dog that ate their neighbor are a couple of frickin idiots to the highest order. how do you not feed & water a dog even more than once a day? this breed here are pretty massive dogs. these dudes need grub & a lot of it. idiots are everywhere & so are neighbors who get chewed to death
    http://youtu.be/mPuVubVtvWI
    I was just showing my colleague this video and his response was interesting: "Great. They're conditioning the dogs to see bald guys wearing a red shirt as threats!"

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2014

and what's your thoughts on removal? deportation, euthanasia? clicking your heels three times and saying there's no place like a place without big dogs?

The province of Ontario has a pit bull ban.

Edit: Sorry, I see your question now. What to do with existing animals. Ontario exercised a 'grandfather' clause.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    unpredictable and dangerous, you just described every person who drives a car. and those stats are a joke, they come from press accounts and do not accurately depict all dog attacks. do i really have to point out that just because it wasn't on tv, doesn't mean it didn't happen? you know as well asi do that the media picks out and puts out what will bring in the most viewers.

still waiting to hear ideas about removal though.
  • Options

Deportation to Sochi, Russia.
  • Options

unpredictable and dangerous, you just described every person who drives a car. and those stats are a joke, they come from press accounts and do not accurately depict all dog attacks. do i really have to point out that just because it wasn't on tv, doesn't mean it didn't happen? you know as well asi do that the media picks out and puts out what will bring in the most viewers.

still waiting to hear ideas about removal though.

What are you waiting for? I provided you an example of what a responsible province did.
  • Options
    I forgot to add yipper dogs to the list as an exclusion to the poop rule.
  • Options
    pretty insulting if you ask me, what do you say to all the other people attacked by dogs that aren't pit bulls? sorry wrong dog attacked you, otherwise i would care. and you call a complete ban on a specific breed responsible? wow. just a different way of saying, i don't care that thousands and thousands of dogs aren't doing anything wrong, they might and that's good enough for me. which fair enough, i just don't understand why you don't spread that logic out over other facets of life.
  • Options

pretty insulting if you ask me, what do you say to all the other people attacked by dogs that aren't pit bulls? sorry wrong dog attacked you, otherwise i would care. and you call a complete ban on a specific breed responsible? wow. just a different way of saying, i don't care that thousands and thousands of dogs aren't doing anything wrong, they might and that's good enough for me. which fair enough, i just don't understand why you don't spread that logic out over other facets of life.

You mean like my son who was attacked by a German Shepherd and rushed to ER? Or my wife that was attacked on her mail route by a Cocker Spaniel and required stitches in the back of her leg?

These were outliers. There's not enough statistical evidence to suggest anything dramatic.
  • Options
    sorry about your wife and son for one.

not sure what you mean by your second statement. but it feels like you're saying those attacks were just random freak occurrences and not by dogs prone to attack. why can't we look at your statistics and find every single breed that seriously injured or killed someone and ban that breed? if it saves even one life it's worth it, or is that just for pit bulls?
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2014

sorry about your wife and son for one.

not sure what you mean by your second statement. but it feels like you're saying those attacks were just random freak occurrences and not by dogs prone to attack. why can't we look at your statistics and find every single breed that seriously injured or killed someone and ban that breed? if it saves even one life it's worth it, or is that just for pit bulls?

I'm not making this shit up. My daughter was attacked too by a Doberman. her wounds weren't as severe. If I had the time, I would fully detail to you my son's attack and it would piss you off. In short, he was attacked in our yard saying "Hi" to our neighbour (the dog's owner). He was shaken so hard by the beast that his shoe flew off his foot and into the street.

I would be okay with your suggestion; however, that is far fetched and one that would never occur.

With certain breeds... the statistics reveal a disturbing pattern and one that shouldn't be ignored. I'll take my chances again with Cocker Spaniels, Labs and German Shepherds to respect people's opportunity to own such an animal as a pet, but I circle the wagons every time we encounter Pit Bulls and Rottweilers. I don't trust them at all and will never place any of my family members in the same room or area with one without me between the dog and my family.

With that being said, all I am advocating for here... and what has been lost somewhat... is a higher level of accountability applied. If a person wants to go purchase a 'known' aggressively natured dog... and it hurts someone or something... then that owner should be accountable for the risk they assumed.

Make no mistake here: I'm saying we penalize ALL dog owners for the damages their hound inflicts. A Lab bite would incur the same penalty that a Pit Bull bight would bring.

If you're betting your house on a dog that will live its life without incident... are you betting on a Lab or are you betting on a Rottweiler given a choice between the two?

Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    @thirty i don't mean to be so abrasive on this issue, it's just frustrating because i feel like you are super smart and your opinion on this is just super stupid. the u.s. has an estimated 3 to 5 million pits. a tiny tiny fraction of that number commit heinous violations against people. you're response to that is, i don't care that millions of these dogs are living regular lives and doing nothing wrong, they might do something wrong in the future so let's nip it in the bud and get rid of them all. how is that different than saying i keep seeing these young black men committing crimes against people on tv, despite that it's a small fraction, i'm gonna be on guard and wary of every young black man i come across because they're prone to commit crimes. i just don't get it, it seems like such a baseless kneejerk reaction from someone i know for fact is so much more intelligent than that.
  • Options
    goingtoveronagoingtoverona Posts: 616
    edited June 2014
    i didn't see your post before i posted my last post, but with the lab or rott comparison, that's impossible to tell. you could have a lab raised correctly and still bite people and you could have a rott raised in a shitty abusive situation that will never bite. every dog is different, I've been around pits that were teddy bears and ones that i wouldn't put my face anywhere near. but it was only after interacting with a specific animal that i made my opinions.

and jeez man, i don't blame you for not liking dogs, your experiences with dogs really leave something to be desired.

as far as the accountability goes, i agree one hundred percent. i think if there were serious punishments for dogs attacking people, people in general would be more responsible with their pets. but since it falls under the, bummer dude, category, no one really cares.
    Post edited by goingtoverona on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Regardless of which / any side of the issue we're on, it's tough to disagree with the concept of (more) accountability on the part of owners - as with most things in life.

(and thank you to JasonP for injecting some humor into this difficult subject - appreciated!)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    yeah shepherds are bigger than pits, just as dangerous, and no more predicatable...how do they escape your ire and pitbulls draw it? I have had many run-ins with shepherds and never an issue with pits. You cant hold the breed responsible based a feeling and on stats that arent trustworthy. For instance, a shpeherd in Coshocton, Ohio attacked its female owner in her yard and nearly decapitated her by going so hard for the throat...local news only...in columbus a pitbull shakes a kid visciously by the arm, the child survives without disability and it is over the news like nobodies business..there is disproportional coverage on this issue

dogs that are kept outside of the home, to me, are the dangerous ones...chained yard dogs should be illegal not a specific breed..the dog warden should investigate complaints and deal harsh punishments
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

i didn't see your post before i posted my last post, but with the lab or rott comparison, that's impossible to tell. you could have a lab raised correctly and still bite people and you could have a rott raised in a shitty abusive situation that will never bite. every dog is different, I've been around pits that were teddy bears and ones that i wouldn't put my face anywhere near. but it was only after interacting with a specific animal that i made my opinions.

and jeez man, i don't blame you for not liking dogs, your experiences with dogs really leave something to be desired.

as far as the accountability goes, i agree one hundred percent. i think if there were serious punishments for dogs attacking people, people in general would be more responsible with their pets. but since it falls under the, bummer dude, category, no one really cares.

I'd roll the dice with a Lab if forced to make a choice.

Your last statement echoes what I've been trying to say and we aren't far apart on this issue. Be accountable for your choices. We need to stop making excuses for idiots.

My experiences growing up with dogs were always super bright. I owned dogs and I also delivered papers- getting attacked twice (by a Dalmatian and some big 'mutt'). These incidents never left me hating dogs. It's only been as a protective father where I have developed my negative outlook on dogs.

You should know that, of course, I know several dogs owned by friends and family that I enjoy immensely. There's nothing better than a friendly, well-trained dog to add to any experience. On the flip side, there's nothing worse than a poorly trained animal- it makes me hate it and the owner the same.

• Options
    hedonist said:

Regardless of which / any side of the issue we're on, it's tough to disagree with the concept of (more) accountability on the part of owners - as with most things in life.

(and thank you to JasonP for injecting some humor into this difficult subject - appreciated!)

hahaha.

I thought he was being serious. Yappy dogs suck.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    know1 said:

The majority (maybe a slight majority) of people who own animals are unfit same goes to do so, IMO.

All for responsible dog ownership and not for banning certain breeds. Also not a dog expert. Ok disclaimers out of the way.

Pits are strong and believe they are inherently more vicious than other breeds so are more dangerous. Am I wrong on disposition? This has been my experience with many dogs including friends with pits. Serious question.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

hedonist said:

hahaha.

I thought he was being serious. Yappy dogs suck.
    It was the poop rule :D

(with ya on the yappiness factor!)

• Options
    @callen, the problem with pits is their strength. inherently they are no more vicious than your average dog, it's just that when they do attack, look out. they are solid muscle and that extends to their heads and mouths. I've got scars on both my arms from trying to break up a pit fight and believe me when i say it is an unpleasant feeling to have those jaws slamming down on a body part.

i think a good rule of thumb when dealing with any dog is don't assume that because it is a certain breed that it will or will not be what you expect. meaning if you come across a pit bull, don't expect it's gonna rip you to shreds, and if you came across a lab, don't expect that it won't.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

This is when I had two Rottweilers, look at those faces. Sadly, one passed from cancer shortly thereafter.

Here is my now seven year old sleeping next to my girlfriend's Pomeranian. My Rott won't go to bed without one of his stuffed toys next to him. He will sit at the door and whine until he is let out to bring one back.

Here he is last winter trying to share the front seat of my old Jeep with my girlfriend. Great photo, it is one of my favorites.

so vicious it is scary

• Options
    Those Rotts are beauties, unsung. Love the faces!

I'm sorry about your loss.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Thanks!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    that rot would die for your g/f & you
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    You don't even know. He is unreal.

My step-father was a K9 police officer for about fifteen years so I have pretty good handle on big dogs, we've always had Rotts in the family. I will always have one.