Options

What should this thread be about?

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Ha!

(best thing about that Gump film was Gary Sinise. Love that guy)

I don't remember gary sinise being in forest gump. are you thinking of air force one?
    My bad. It was Top Gun.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I loved him in The Life Aquatic, and in Adam Resurrected. He is such an elegant man!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    about corn fields
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
  • Options
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    edited July 2014
    imageWe do that with corn :) it's also a maze.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

imageWe do that with corn :) it's also a maze.

if i'm not mistaken, that's the seahawks logo...is it not?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It's a native eagle and the seahawks logo is the head of an eagle in a native design, but this is in BC.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Ouzo
  • Options
    Nope that is the one kind of liquor that I just can't do/get on board with. Anything that has the anise/licorice flavour is just a big ol' nope. I blame that New Years when I was 17.

• Options
    about lists noone cares about
  • Options
    No, no list talk in AET that may truly be the worst topic on the porch(other than that severely misguided one slamming Oslo for getting Strangest Tribe).

Let's talk about drinking games, have you ever played any? If so which ones? When was the last time you participated in such shenanigans?

• Options

No, no list talk in AET that may truly be the worst topic on the porch(other than that severely misguided one slamming Oslo for getting Strangest Tribe).

Let's talk about drinking games, have you ever played any? If so which ones? When was the last time you participated in such shenanigans?

Many years ago at 23, I went on one of those extended European tour things...I loved almost every minute of it.

The people with me kicked ass. Most were from Australia and New Zealand, and evenings when we were stuck in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, we'd play this card game called 99.

Each win would require a shot of Jack Daniels.

I got extremely lucky one night and haven't touched that motherfucker since.
  • Options

i played asshole for the first in years a few weeks ago
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I can't tell if that's innuendo or not.
  • Options
    Can we talk about roofs and how much they fuck up your remodel budget?

Grrrrrr ...
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230

Can we talk about roofs and how much they fuck up your remodel budget?

Grrrrrr ...

Yes, a new roof can be very expensive. I had to redo a roof on a place I use to live at. Luckily, my ex suggested that I check at some of the 2nd hand supply stores to see if they had discounted shingles etc... sure enough I lucked out and they had pkg. shingle bundles that just had tears on the packaging and I got a huge discount just because the packaging was messed up and it was a huge order about 30 square. I then found some experienced roofers that did the tear off and installation on the side ,cheaper than some of the estimates thru my ex. The whole thing cost me less than half of the estimates. So maybe, check around and see if you or a trusted friend knows a reliable contractor that could help you reduce the cost of the repair and not take such a big hit on your remodeling budget. Hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you, OMGkatwoman :) We got 5 estimates from bigger and smaller companies around the area. We went with the one we had the best feeling with, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Our roof is big, and there was some leakage in one area and we wanted to have an old stack chimney taken out. The price was steep, but we will get a grade shingles in the colour we like the best. They started yesterday. Then they saw that there was two layers of shingles on the top and said this would cost more. Then they said the wood underneath is more rotted than they thought and this would cost more. The person we talked to didn't say any of that and we are no experts, so we didn't know anything about it. Basically I would say it was the salesman's fault for not inspecting things properly and going into the contract with us. But somehow we came to an agreement and it's all gonna be alright. I hope this was the last big blow to our budget...Why does it always have to be the most expensive things that come up as a surprise?
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

Ah yes Asshole, the perfect way to be a total dick to your friends and get wasted without it being held against you.

• Options

Ah yes Asshole, the perfect way to be a total dick to your friends and get wasted without it being held against you.

crazy eights....that was another fun one
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Thank you, OMGkatwoman :) We got 5 estimates from bigger and smaller companies around the area. We went with the one we had the best feeling with, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Our roof is big, and there was some leakage in one area and we wanted to have an old stack chimney taken out. The price was steep, but we will get a grade shingles in the colour we like the best. They started yesterday. Then they saw that there was two layers of shingles on the top and said this would cost more. Then they said the wood underneath is more rotted than they thought and this would cost more. The person we talked to didn't say any of that and we are no experts, so we didn't know anything about it. Basically I would say it was the salesman's fault for not inspecting things properly and going into the contract with us. But somehow we came to an agreement and it's all gonna be alright. I hope this was the last big blow to our budget...Why does it always have to be the most expensive things that come up as a surprise?

If it wasn't expensive it wouldn't be a 'surprise'. We found dry rot in my sill plate when I replaced my back deck this year woohoo that was a fun surprise. Mostly just try not to stress and watch the contractors like a hawk, there is no such thing as too many questions when it comes to your money and your house. Also make friends with a handy person you can trust with a reliable knowledge base - they may not be able to do the work but they can offer you an unbiased second opinion. Above all remember shit happens and it's only money ;)

• Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230

Bummer, that it is always the most expensive though! One thing after another with that roof, :-t
    Hoping the rest of your project goes well! :)
  • Options
    Thank you, guys!
    Went there today again to check the progress, and it turned out fantastic. They will finish it tomorrow. We love the colour we choose, it gives the house a completely new look. We had them take a chimney out, which was the root of all evil and rot in the roof in the first place, and now the whole front section is nice and straight and brand new :D Cool thing is, the old front door doesn't fit the colour scheme anymore, and I cannot wait to put my red door in.
    I am a positive thinker, and just seeing it today made me completely happy with it. My hubs is very handy. We only had to hire contractors twice up until now. I got pretty handy with saws and stuff too :) It is all exciting and fun, but I cannot wait to get to the homestretch...
  • Options
    Old people
  • Options
    Jesus, dimi...do you do shots of espresso (or ouzo!) and then rapid-fire post? How the fuck does someone think, type and submit in two or three threads at the same time?

Good lord!

I'm somewhere between alarmed and wishing my mind worked so quickly :D
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    You know Leeze I have been bugging out about getting carpet and floors replaced and your posts just reminded me exactly how much worse it would be if we lived in a house. Thank you for the reality check. Also, red door sounds awesome!

On a side note has anyone ever replaced the floor in a place you already live in? Like with furniture & stuff?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I've wondered how that works too - moving the furniture, the installation, plus two cats on top of it - the logistics of it all, and living in a condo vs. house.

A few years ago we got a quote to replace our carpeting with hardwood floor. Our home isn't even 700 sq. ft., mind you. $11,000...more than $15 a square foot?

Thanks but no thanks and screw you too, Empire Today!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I've wondered how that works too - moving the furniture, the installation, plus two cats on top of it - the logistics of it all, and living in a condo vs. house.

A few years ago we got a quote to replace our carpeting with hardwood floor. Our home isn't even 700 sq. ft., mind you. $11,000...more than $15 a square foot?

how'd u know how many cats i have ?!?!?!?!?

U CIA? NSA? FBI? o.O

:D
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

how'd u know how many cats i have ?!?!?!?!?

U CIA? NSA? FBI? o.O

• Options
    What IS a condo anyway?