Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    BOOM

NL Champs just got a whole lot better. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,773
    !!!!!!!! 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Never a doubt.   This town's gonna love him.
  • Options
    Fuck yeah open that wallet up you bowl haircut loyd christmas lookin motherfucker

300M/11yrs ohhhh stick it in my veinsssss
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,404
    Fuck yeah open that wallet up you bowl haircut loyd christmas lookin motherfucker

It'll be funny when we whine about the Yankees buying players. Welcome Trea Turner!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Haha, I'm not one to whine about that.

Seriously this was by far the biggest piece missing from this team - a clear-cut leadoff hitter, changes the whole dynamic of everything.
  • Options
    So maybe some Schwarber homers will count for more than one?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I saw the Mets signed Verlander for 2 years.

• Options
    Schwarber should instantly slot into 4 or 5 now (with Harper in the lineup). Without he should probably be hitting 3.

With Harper ideally should look like this:

1. Turner - SS
    2. Realmuto - C
    3. Harper - RF
    4. Hoskins - 1B
    5. Schwarber - DH
    6. Bohm - 3B
    7. Stott - 2B
    8. Castellanos - LF
    9. Marsh/Vierling - CF

Without Harper:

1. Turner - SS
    2. Stott - 2B
    3. Realmuto - C
    4. Schwarber - DH
    5. Hoskins - 1B
    6. Bohm - 3B
    7. Marsh - CF
    8. Castellanos - RF
    9. Vierling - LF
  • Options

ok i chuckled at this
  • Options
    This motherfucker's gonna steal a ton of bases with the new rule changes too. I love it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So they're most likely to go over the tax again this year, obviously. With that said, I think they should - and for some weird reason I think they will - go balls-out on that. I remember reading in the past an analysis on the tax that summarizes basically, "if you're gonna go over the tax, don't pussyfoot it and go over a little bit. If you're going to be over the tax then make it absolutely worth it because the penalty is negligible whether it's by $1M or $20M" (paraphrasing in my own terms here).
  • Options
    So they're most likely to go over the tax again this year, obviously. With that said, I think they should - and for some weird reason I think they will - go balls-out on that. I remember reading in the past an analysis on the tax that summarizes basically, "if you're gonna go over the tax, don't pussyfoot it and go over a little bit. If you're going to be over the tax then make it absolutely worth it because the penalty is negligible whether it's by $1M or $20M" (paraphrasing in my own terms here).
    What pitchers are still available?

• Options
    I've seen them attached to Rodon and Taillon. I can see them going after a guy like that, plus a bullpen arm or bench/super-util guy.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,856
    Welcome to philly Trea Turner!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,455
    pjhawks said:
    your town loves homophobes? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    I hadn't seen any bad press on the guy.  Knowing how you hate Los Doyers I m sure you are up on him.

Looked it up....meh.  he was 17 or 18.  Give him a pass on being an idiot and apologizing as an adult.
    Dumb/mean tweets are a thing.  Dumb teenagers make lots of them, I'm sure.
    Also, baseball players are generally a slow bunch.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Check this out. Pretty cool. Karl is my wife's cousin. I knew he played with Trea Turner but forgot Rodon was on that team too. My father in law just reminded me that he combined on a no hitter with Rodon when he was a freshman. We're actually going to his wedding this weekend.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-free-agency-trea-turner-carlos-rodon-20221204.html

What would Carlos Rodon and Trea Turner bring to the Phillies? A former teammate knows.

Karl Keglovits says the star duo had a blend of levity, accountability and a desire to win in leading NC State to a College World Series title in 2013.

North Carolina State teammates Trea Turner and Carlos Rodon during the 2013 College World Series.Four Seam Images / AP

SAN DIEGO — Karl Keglovits got a phone call a few weeks ago from one of his former baseball teammates at North Carolina State, Johnny Piedmonte.

Piedmonte asked if Keglovits had heard the big news. He had not.

“It’s possible that Carlos and Trea end up in Philly,” Piedmonte said.

Keglovits could barely contain his excitement. Carlos — as in Carlos Rodón — and Trea — as in Trea Turner — had overlapped with Keglovits at N.C. State for two seasons. He’d closely followed their careers since, and now there was a chance they could play for his Phillies.

Keglovits was born and raised in Nazareth, Pa., and grew up going to games at Citizens Bank Park, watching Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and Roy Halladay turn the Phillies into perennial winners. The idea of Turner and Rodón having a similar impact was tantalizing.

And the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. Both free agents, who are in high demand as baseball’s winter meetings opened Sunday in San Diego, would fill the Phillies’ two main needs. Turner is an All-Star shortstop who hits with some power, can get on base, and makes the most of getting on base, stealing 27 bases for the Dodgers this past season. And Rodón is an All-Star starter who is coming off of a career year with the Giants, posting a 2.88 ERA with 237 strikeouts in 178 innings.

Free-agent shortstop Trea Turner is a career .302 hitter with a 122 career OPS+.Ashley Landis / AP

But Keglovits knew, from personal experience, that the addition of Rodón and Turner would provide far more than a workhouse on the mound and some pop in the lineup. When he was a freshman in 2013, he watched as the sophomore shortstop and pitcher — who were best friends and roommates — led N.C. State to its first College World Series appearance since 1968.

Together, they brought a blend of levity and accountability and an insatiable desire to win. One Halloween, Turner showed up to practice dressed up as Rodón, stuffing pillows underneath his jersey to mimic the pitcher’s physique. His teammates got a good laugh out of that. Rodón, in his quest to become a two-way player, would often take batting practice. His teammates got a laugh out of that, too.

But there were also days when Turner and Rodón set a more serious tone.

“They’d get on you anytime you wanted to take a shortcut,” Keglovits said. “Even during running drills. We’d be doing suicides, and if a player didn’t reach the line, they’d be like, ‘If you’re taking shortcuts now, what are you going to do when game time comes around?’ They gave us a healthy push when we needed it.”

Both players led by example. One night, Keglovits was giving his family a tour of the baseball facilities at N.C. State. When they reached the batting cages, he heard the sound of a player hitting off a tee. It was Turner, who was getting his swings in about 9 p.m.

“Trea takes pride in his hitting, and I think it’s because everyone sees him for his speed,” said N.C. State coach Elliott Avent. “They show his slides over and over and over. And I know he’s proud of that and he loves that as well. But Trea likes being known for who he is. He’s a great hitter. He’s a great shortstop. He likes to win.”

Years later, Turner is still known for his speed, but also for his offense. He is a career .302 hitter with a 122 career OPS+ coming off his first Silver Slugger season. Amid a Phillies lineup that features streaky hitters, Turner would add consistent production.

And Rodón would add some power from the left side. He ranked in the 95th percentile in strikeout rate this season, and in the 80th percentile in fastball velocity. He also threw a career-high 178 innings, which would take some of the load off the Phillies’ relief corps.

Keglovits, who now lives in New Hampshire and works in health care, knows that a number of factors could ultimately send Turner and Rodón to other teams. But he will be pulling for his former teammates to end up in red pinstripes, and not just because it will give him another excuse to return home.

Carlos Rodon pitched a career-high 178 innings with the Giants last season.Rick Scuteri / AP

When the Dodgers were at Citizens Bank Park in late May, Keglovits sent Turner a text message. His cousin, Eric Gubich, was a huge Phillies fan and was battling cancer at the time. Keglovits wanted to know if Gubich and his 6-year-old son could get on the field before a game.

Turner responded almost immediately.

“Yes,” he said. “Anything I can do to help.”

Gubich died in October at the age of 37, but passed his fandom on to his son, Parker. When Keglovits heard that Turner and Rodón were linked with the Phillies, he thought of the possibility of bringing Parker back to the ballpark someday, and maybe even introducing his nephew to his former teammates.

“That’s something I’ll never forget,” Keglovits said of Turner’s gesture. “Both of those guys, they always have your back. It means a lot.”

chinese-happy.jpg
    • Options
      Wobbie said:
      pjhawks said:
      I hadn't seen any bad press on the guy.  Knowing how you hate Los Doyers I m sure you are up on him.

Looked it up....meh.  he was 17 or 18.  Give him a pass on being an idiot and apologizing as an adult.
      I know and, yes, it’s my d**gers hate.

that said, he has a certain smugness to him that I don’t like….glad my Giants didn’t sign him.

VIC 07
      EV LA1 08
      Columbus 10
      EV LA 11
      Vancouver 11
      Missoula 12
      Portland 13, Spokane 13
      St. Paul 14, Denver 14
      Philly I & II, 16
      Denver 22
    • Options
      Wobbie said:
      Wobbie said:
      pjhawks said:

that said, he has a certain smugness to him that I don’t like….glad my Giants didn’t sign him.
      Read what he did for my wife's cousin. Bottom of the article I posted above. He seems like a good dude to me. 
      chinese-happy.jpg
    • Options
      Wobbie said:
      Wobbie said:
      pjhawks said:

Read what he did for my wife's cousin. Bottom of the article I posted above. He seems like a good dude to me. 
      JUST SAYIN
    • Options
      Wobbie said:
      Wobbie said:
      pjhawks said:

not exactly grounds for sainthood, juggler.

but I get that you guys are excited…it’s a big signing….philly sports are booming, these days….hell, even the flyers aren’t putrid.

VIC 07
      EV LA1 08
      Columbus 10
      EV LA 11
      Vancouver 11
      Missoula 12
      Portland 13, Spokane 13
      St. Paul 14, Denver 14
      Philly I & II, 16
      Denver 22
    • Options
      https://theathletic.com/3973611/2022/12/05/phillies-trea-turner-300-million-deal?source=user-shared-article

"“I think it’s one of the first things that gets covered,” Fuld said. “A number of guys have used the phrase, ‘You can feel it through the TV.’ Most of the guys we talked to were glued to the TV watching, through the playoffs.”

The Phillies wanted to capitalize on those feelings. Turner, according to multiple sources, left money on the table. The actual terms of the Padres’ final offer were unclear. California has a higher income tax rate, but San Diego’s offer was believed to be significant enough to offset that." 

Bold emphasis mine.
    • Options
      https://theathletic.com/3973611/2022/12/05/phillies-trea-turner-300-million-deal?source=user-shared-article

"“I think it’s one of the first things that gets covered,” Fuld said. “A number of guys have used the phrase, ‘You can feel it through the TV.’ Most of the guys we talked to were glued to the TV watching, through the playoffs.”

The Phillies wanted to capitalize on those feelings. Turner, according to multiple sources, left money on the table. The actual terms of the Padres’ final offer were unclear. California has a higher income tax rate, but San Diego’s offer was believed to be significant enough to offset that." 

Bold emphasis mine.
      Don’t show that to Cliffy.  He insisted everyone goes for the most money even though all signs were Philly was the spot for Turner.  Hell I heard in the summer Turner was coming here. And pumped he is 
    • Options
      Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
      pjhawks said:

Bold emphasis mine.
      Don’t show that to Cliffy.  He insisted everyone goes for the most money even though all signs were Philly was the spot for Turner.  Hell I heard in the summer Turner was coming here. And pumped he is 
      Lol for the record they paid him $300 mil. All the reports after the fact of who offered what are a bit of PR, though gelb obviously lends a ton of credibility. Great signing. Get some pitching and this team will be in good shape. Needs more than middle of rotation arms and definitely bullpen

But yes, Phils stepped up and paid the guy.
    • Options
      Wow this is crazy
    • Options
      edited December 2022
      Dombrowski doesn't fuck around, does he? Pretty much all set at this point. Few more relievers here and there.

With Harper, here is what I like right now, but I can be persuaded.

2B TURNER R
      1B HOSKINS R
      DH HARPER L
       C REALMUTO R
      RF SCHWARBER L
      LF CASTELLANOS R
      3B BOHM R
      2B STOTT L
      CF MARSH L

Though I am cool with flip flopping JT and Rhys....and maybe moving Stott up a bit. I'd drop Nick a bit too if he starts slow again. I just love Turner batting leadoff.

Really hope Topper doesn't stick Schwarber there just because he was there all last year or something. That is the one thing I would not be happy with .

chinese-happy.jpg
    • Options
      Dombrowski doesn't fuck around, does he? Pretty much all set at this point. Few more relievers here and there.

With Harper, here is what I like right now, but I can be persuaded.

2B TURNER R
      1B HOSKINS R
      DH HARPER L
       C REALMUTO R
      RF SCHWARBER L
      LF CASTELLANOS R
      3B BOHM R
      2B STOTT L
      CF MARSH L

Though I am cool with flip flopping JT and Rhys....and maybe moving Stott up a bit. I'd drop Nick a bit too if he starts slow again. I just love Turner batting leadoff.

Really hope Topper doesn't stick Schwarber there just because he was there all last year or something. That is the one thing I would not be happy with .

I don't want Hoskins in the top of the order. Especially now with a traditional lead-off hitter. I'd go with....

Turner
      Schwarber
      Realmuto
      Harper
      Bohm
      Castellanos
      Marsh
      Hoskins
      Stott 
      2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
      http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    • Options
      mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
      Happy for y'all. He's a helluva player!
      I LOVE MUSIC.
      www.cluthelee.com
      www.cluthe.com
    • Options
      edited December 2022
      Yeah Hoskins best place is in the middle of the lineup, probably sandwiched between Harper and Schwarber. Realmuto should probably be in the 2 hole until Stott can ultimately take over that spot. Nick should be relegated to the bottom of the order until he can prove otherwise, and flip him with Bohm.

Rotation:
      1) Nola
      1A) Wheeler
      3) Suarez
      4) Walker
      5) Sanchez/Falter/not committing to Painter until absolutely needed

What's great is there is a lot of flexibility in the lineup since it's not righty or lefty heavy, though I'll always prefer a lefty heavy lineup, but the flexibility is lost with so many DHs in the lineup.

I wonder what they do with Nola. I have to think they make a legit push of extending him, have to.
      Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on