PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98
    Anyone else's first show 20 years ago today?

My only PJ regret is not seeing them with the Mighty Jack Irons. 
    yeah, mine was.  Still remember telling my friends that the sweet home alabama was a dig at skynyrd in support of their relationship with neil young.  

I've come full circle as this is the first tour since 2008 that I have chosen to skip.  They need to focus on making songs that don't suck (can't deny me is awful) and spend less time promoting political propoganda and their latest $40 t-shirt of the week.  Also, stadium concerts are highly overrated.  I've really been off PJ since Vedder's stupid rant about not drinking too much at the beginning of the fenway show 2 in 2016.  

tons of bands out there making great music that I'd rather see live
    You should really consider cancelling your membership.
    yeah I know.  just auto renewed last month actually.  oh well

anyone else think they've mailed it in?  they haven't released an album in like 5 years.  haven't released a good album in over a decade.  The cubs DVD was a joke.  But t-shirts man, plenty of those available
    Yeah but it's still fun to go see them in concert. Stadium shows, lame DVDs, and a not-so-good single is better than nothing.
    Just not as fun as it used to be.  the Spectrum shows in 2009 were the pinnacle -- followed by PJ20.  Been downhill ever since
    That could be a product of being a fan of something for so long and being somewhat "over it." I can relate because I haven't been as "into" the shows I've attended since PJ20 either. Not that I didn't enjoy them. But I recall being in GA for the Denver show and when it was over, the girl in front of me turned to her friend and, in a very excited manner, exclaimed "THAT WAS THE GREATEST SHOW EVER!!" And I was thinking "Eh...yeah it was cool." 

To a degree, for me, PJ shows have become more of something to do rather than the "spiritual/musical" experience they were for me in high school and college (and into my mid-to-late 20's for that matter). I'm going up to Boston this weekend for the Fenway shows and I have a friend coming in from Tampa, another from New Orleans, and a third from D.C. So it's more of "get together with your friends" sort of thing than a "I hope they play Dirty Frank!" sort of thing for me at this point. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

yeah, mine was.  Still remember telling my friends that the sweet home alabama was a dig at skynyrd in support of their relationship with neil young.  

I've come full circle as this is the first tour since 2008 that I have chosen to skip.  They need to focus on making songs that don't suck (can't deny me is awful) and spend less time promoting political propoganda and their latest $40 t-shirt of the week.  Also, stadium concerts are highly overrated.  I've really been off PJ since Vedder's stupid rant about not drinking too much at the beginning of the fenway show 2 in 2016.  

anyone else think they've mailed it in?  they haven't released an album in like 5 years.  haven't released a good album in over a decade.  The cubs DVD was a joke.  But t-shirts man, plenty of those available
    How many bands that are almost 30 years in haven't mailed it in though? I mean they're all in their 50's at this point. I'm holding out hope for one last great album. I think it's in there somewhere.
    I hear you but there are some.  Wilco is still making great music.  MMJ is 20 years in and their OBH festival in March was insanely good as they played all 7 of their studio albums in succession over 3 nights (no repeats like PJ does on multi-night runs in the same city).

I guess I'd just prefer to pay for bands who are presently good than pay premium prices for novelty acts.  Saw Deer Tick a bunch this summer, including a concert on a boat that cruised the boston harbor.  That was pretty bad ass - John McCauley is criminally underrated as a front man - both with Deer Tick and his other side projects (middle brother, diamond rugs, etc)

I hope PJ has one more good album/run in them -- sadly I'm not expecting that to happen
    Yeah, some--not many.
    MMJ is awesome and probably my second fav band but PJ has been around almost a decade longer.  And Jim's only 40 while Ed's in his mid 50's now. PJ got a late start. 

When the hell is the Waterfall follow up coming out? 
    rumor at OBH is that they were breaking up.  If you follow the albums songs in sequence, the last song is only memories remain.  hopefully they're not true but that's all people were talking about that entire week.

Jim and Carl both just released solo albums (Jim's is guitar heavy and pretty awesome), so I'm guessing if they stay together we won't see anything from MMJ until 2020 at the earliest.

this is super random but I wasn't familiar with Portugal the Man until seeing them at OBH.  I was expecting them to be poppy crap music, but I was blown away.  This was their opening song, and I was sold after seeing this -- going to see them and Lucius at Merriweather in a few weeks.  Ah, this is so fucking good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vMaVknY7fY

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    I thought those rumors were false and that they were just taking a break and possibly going to the studio next year?

Waterfall was almost a double album and they were supposed to put the second part out shortly after the first one but never did for some reason. So they've been sitting on those extra songs for a few years now. Love that album. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I thought those rumors were false and that they were just taking a break and possibly going to the studio next year?

Waterfall was almost a double album and they were supposed to put the second part out shortly after the first one but never did for some reason. So they've been sitting on those extra songs for a few years now. Love that album. 
    yeah, who knows?  literally everyone was talking about it in March down there.  apparently they signed a three year agreement to have 3 OBH events in the DR, so they still owe the resort two more (there will not be one in 2019 unfortunately -- that's the best week of the year).  There's also rumor of another live DVD/blue ray coming out, along with the Waterfall follow up.  Hopefully they're just on hiatus for a while as they focus on side projects for a year or two.  I would be seriously bummed if they are done -- they're the best live band on the planet.

Jim is doing a mini acoustic tour this fall.  Then I'm guessing he will have another tour to support his album in 2019.  So my guess is no new MMJ stuff until 2020 at the earliest.  But I have no idea

talking music is so much more enjoyable than discussing the disaster of a baseball team that we're stuck with
    edited August 2018
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

Yeah but it's still fun to go see them in concert. Stadium shows, lame DVDs, and a not-so-good single is better than nothing.
    Just not as fun as it used to be.  the Spectrum shows in 2009 were the pinnacle -- followed by PJ20.  Been downhill ever since
    That could be a product of being a fan of something for so long and being somewhat "over it." I can relate because I haven't been as "into" the shows I've attended since PJ20 either. Not that I didn't enjoy them. But I recall being in GA for the Denver show and when it was over, the girl in front of me turned to her friend and, in a very excited manner, exclaimed "THAT WAS THE GREATEST SHOW EVER!!" And I was thinking "Eh...yeah it was cool." 

To a degree, for me, PJ shows have become more of something to do rather than the "spiritual/musical" experience they were for me in high school and college (and into my mid-to-late 20's for that matter). I'm going up to Boston this weekend for the Fenway shows and I have a friend coming in from Tampa, another from New Orleans, and a third from D.C. So it's more of "get together with your friends" sort of thing than a "I hope they play Dirty Frank!" sort of thing for me at this point. 
    totally agree man.  shows are a great excuse to travel and connect w guys I don't see that often (my wife isn't a concert person so I get to plan guys trips around shows, which is a win-win).  anymore I have more fun pre and post gaming than I do at the actual PJ shows.  That's not true for other bands I see.  I guess it is what it is -- I don't feel like I'm missing anything by skipping these stadium shows this time around

PIt tix is a sensitive topic for me.  Last time I had pit tix was for the Raleigh show that they canceled 24 hours before the show because of trannies.  Not that I'm still bitter or anything...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Traveling for shows is the shit.  Headed out again to Boston this weekend and love that I will see old friends -- one very good friend I have not seen since the last Fenway PJ show. 
    Seattle and Missoula were both fun/different.
    They are old - I get it.  I am older and down for different shit now as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

totally agree man.  shows are a great excuse to travel and connect w guys I don't see that often (my wife isn't a concert person so I get to plan guys trips around shows, which is a win-win).  anymore I have more fun pre and post gaming than I do at the actual PJ shows.  That's not true for other bands I see.  I guess it is what it is -- I don't feel like I'm missing anything by skipping these stadium shows this time around

PIt tix is a sensitive topic for me.  Last time I had pit tix was for the Raleigh show that they canceled 24 hours before the show because of trannies.  Not that I'm still bitter or anything...
    And you should be. That was fucking bullshit and I didn't even have tickets to that show. But I put myself in the situation of someone that did. If I paid for a hotel room, took time off of work, made the trip, and they cancelled the show because of some strange bathroom law, I'd be beyond pissed. Plus, it'd be one thing if it was their own idea to make a stand like that. Sure it's not the stand I would personally make, but to each their own. But all they were doing was following Bruce Springsteen's lead and that's pretty lame.

My aforementioned buddy from D.C. flew a girl in from Florida for that show that was cancelled. Would have been her first Pearl Jam show. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    He "flew in a girl from Florida" --haha. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2018
    I don't get the joke here. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Neither do I.
    I just think it sounds funny.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Neither do I.
    I guess it does.

While I have your attention, what the flying fuck is with that picture in your signature? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Neither do I.
    I guess it does.

While I have your attention, what the flying fuck is with that picture in your signature? 
    That's my neighbor. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Neither do I.
    I guess it does.

That's my neighbor. 
    I right-clicked on it and for the first time, used the "Ask Cortana" option (basically "Siri" for whatever my work computer's operating system is) and it said "Best guess, this is Happy Chinese Woman"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Neither do I.
    I guess it does.

That's my neighbor. 
    I right-clicked on it and for the first time, used the "Ask Cortana" option (basically "Siri" for whatever my work computer's operating system is) and it said "Best guess, this is Happy Chinese Woman"
    Well she does always seem to have a pleasant demeanor. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Neither do I.
    I guess it does.

That's my neighbor. 
    Well she does always seem to have a pleasant demeanor. 
    Image result for demeanor seinfeld
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    What the fuck happened in here? Anything I should know about?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    great way to blow that lead for Nola, Phills
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Poor Aaron. Luckily I turned it off before Santana's error.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    People like Pearl Jam, but don't, like, like them like them anymore. That's about it.
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

And you should be. That was fucking bullshit and I didn't even have tickets to that show. But I put myself in the situation of someone that did. If I paid for a hotel room, took time off of work, made the trip, and they cancelled the show because of some strange bathroom law, I'd be beyond pissed. Plus, it'd be one thing if it was their own idea to make a stand like that. Sure it's not the stand I would personally make, but to each their own. But all they were doing was following Bruce Springsteen's lead and that's pretty lame.

My aforementioned buddy from D.C. flew a girl in from Florida for that show that was cancelled. Would have been her first Pearl Jam show. 
    ironically, I was seeing springsteen in state college when I got the email from the 10 club.  springsteen canceled his NC show a week before the show.  PJ sat on it until right before their show.  Guess they just wanted to sell merch from the Raleigh show before notifying their fans that the show wasn't actually taking place (my buddy from chicago was in raleigh an extra day and he bought the raleigh poster, which is awesome in a fucked up kinda way).

it used to be about the music w this band.  now it's all about politics and merch.  weak
    edited August 2018
    joey bats had a classic AB last night.  yes, the phillies voluntarily traded for his corpse -- for some odd reason they are accumulating all of the mets trash.  three pitch whiff in true ryan howard fashion

and that wasn't even the best highlight of last night's game.  haha
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

ironically, I was seeing springsteen in state college when I got the email from the 10 club.  springsteen canceled his NC show a week before the show.  PJ sat on it until right before their show.  Guess they just wanted to sell merch from the Raleigh show before notifying their fans that the show wasn't actually taking place (my buddy from chicago was in raleigh an extra day and he bought the raleigh poster, which is awesome in a fucked up kinda way).

it used to be about the music w this band.  now it's all about politics and merch.  weak

The Fixer said:
    joey bats had a classic AB last night.  yes, the phillies voluntarily traded for his corpse -- for some odd reason they are accumulating all of the mets trash.  three pitch whiff in true ryan howard fashion

and that wasn't even the best highlight of last night's game.  haha
    I hate him so much 
    edited August 2018
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

yeah at least that shit was tolerable when they were making great albums.  now it's all about politics and selling t-shirts -- and awful songs like ole, sirens, can't deny me, etc

they even put fucking beyonce on their xmas single album cover.  so lame
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Another Nola gem wasted. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Another Nola gem wasted. 
    It's a shame.
    He looked Madduxy at times last night. Love watching him pitch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    8*28*98

yeah at least that shit was tolerable when they were making great albums.  now it's all about politics and selling t-shirts -- and awful songs like ole, sirens, can't deny me, etc

they even put fucking beyonce on their xmas single album cover.  so lame
    That's fine and they definitely have different priorities now, but to say it's only now about politics isn't exactly accurate. it's always been.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I think we should complain more about Pearl Jam fans and less about the band.
    The fans on this board are seriously 35-50% feckless c&*%s. 
    They complain about everything.....everything.
    Wish they would go away.  Happy to go and see Pearl Jam in smaller venues and have just as much fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I think we should complain more about Pearl Jam fans and less about the band.
    The fans on this board are seriously 35-50% feckless c&*%s. 
    They complain about everything.....everything.
    Wish they would go away.  Happy to go and see Pearl Jam in smaller venues and have just as much fun.
    This. 

They're in their mid 50's and have been a band for almost 30 years. Some people just have incredibly irrational expectations of them at this point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Another Nola gem wasted. 
    It's a shame.
    He looked Madduxy at times last night. Love watching him pitch.
    and now 4 1/2 games back.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly