Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    or metallica
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454

How do a few of you drop $800 just like that? Are you wealthy? Living beyond your means? Racking up credit card debt? Wall Street tycoons? Selling drugs in your spare time?

Good paying job with a Fortune 100 company plus a little credit card debt. Also helps not having a car payment at this point, but that will have to change soon.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options

I'm curious to know where people got the album information from?

Which two albums are going to be on the Dave Matthews pono?

They're posted in the Pono Community forums. Each LE Pono has its own group that lists the albums that will be included. For Dave Matthews Band it's:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Under the Table and Dreaming - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    Wow....CD quality. Talk about not making use of the technology.
    Any word on the two albums for My Morning Jacket?
    Haven't seen anything listed yet for My Morning Jacket.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,951

or metallica

Kinda surprised there isn't a Metallica LE group yet.
  • Options
    I just hope it isnt st anger! What a steaming pile of shiiiite!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I'm curious to know where people got the album information from?

Which two albums are going to be on the Dave Matthews pono?

They're posted in the Pono Community forums. Each LE Pono has its own group that lists the albums that will be included. For Dave Matthews Band it's:

Crash - 44 kHz/16-bit

Under the Table and Dreaming - 44.1 kHz/16-bit
    Wow....CD quality. Talk about not making use of the technology.
    Any word on the two albums for My Morning Jacket?
    Haven't seen anything listed yet for My Morning Jacket.
    PLEASE...Let one of the MMJ albums be OKONOKOS!!!! [-O<
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    So, I'm way late to this game and just now catching up of the Pono concept. Are the only players available to order the 2 on the website, which would mean waiting till 2015 to get or is there a way to get some of the other series that were originally available? Thx for any input...
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    demetrios said:

or metallica

What's up with Metallica fans? I believe there is a local ordinance in Long Island, NY demanding that all male residents must be Metallica fans and their amount of Ride the Lightning t-shirts must be in direct proportion to how unattractive they are to the opposite sex. I've always wondered if, when Metallica records are played backwards, one can hear James Hetfield urging teenage fans to never wash their faces or if that was just some massive group decision.

I've seen countless numbers of these lonely, horny creatures corroding the corridors of the LIRR my entire life. Where are they now? Have they simply not yet taken to the internet?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    october22 said:

demetrios said:

or metallica

What's up with Metallica fans? I believe there is a local ordinance in Long Island, NY demanding that all male residents must be Metallica fans and their amount of Ride the Lightning t-shirts must be in direct proportion to how unattractive they are to the opposite sex. I've always wondered if, when Metallica records are played backwards, one can hear James Hetfield urging teenage fans to never wash their faces or if that was just some massive group decision.

I've seen countless numbers of these lonely, horny creatures corroding the corridors of the LIRR my entire life. Where are they now? Have they simply not yet taken to the internet?
    Internet = Napster. Napster bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIuR5TNyL8Y

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629

So, I'm way late to this game and just now catching up of the Pono concept. Are the only players available to order the 2 on the website, which would mean waiting till 2015 to get or is there a way to get some of the other series that were originally available? Thx for any input...

Too late to the party for the early releases/special editions I'm afraid. You have to wait until 2015.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Or just check back here and on eBay next month when people start to receive their special editions. No doubt a great many were purchased to flip.
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    edited September 2014
    If anyone is curious about their orders showing - my order page on Pono's store has been updated to show my Kickstarter order.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    derbydave said:

My Morning Jacket albums just announced and indeed it is:

Circuital - 44 kHz/24-bit

Okonokos - 44 kHz/24-bit
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options

derbydave said:

My Morning Jacket albums just announced and indeed it is:

Circuital - 44 kHz/24-bit

Okonokos - 44 kHz/24-bit
    Holy shit....24 bit Okonokos? Nice!
  • Options
    October is a week away. Aside from the new Pearl Jam tour it's also going to be time for Ponos to start showing up!

Neil Young will be speaking about Pono at the Dreamforce Conference on Oct. 16th. I hope we get Ponos around that time!

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856

Aside from the new Pearl Jam tour it's also going to be time for Ponos to start showing up!

:bz :D
  • Options

October is a week away. Aside from the new Pearl Jam tour it's also going to be time for Ponos to start showing up!

Neil Young will be speaking about Pono at the Dreamforce Conference on Oct. 16th. I hope we get Ponos around that time!

Can't wait!!! :x
  • Options
    Yeah the excitement is building for me too. Might even clean my ears out some time.

Not much happening over at the Pearl Jam LE group of the Ponomusic community site though and they only have 62 members. Which seems a low number.
    Did we ever work out how many people here on The Porch actually ordered players with the intention of using them?
  • Options

Did we ever work out how many people here on The Porch actually ordered players with the intention of using them?

Not sure, but I'm one of them!

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    It will be interesting how far this HD Audio thing goes... how many consumers will pay $18-$25 an album for high rez digital files.

Myself, I would rather buy the vinyl for close/attentive listening at home, and listen to the shameful mp3s on the go.....but again thats just me.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited September 2014
    I am part of the group. I purchased this mainly to play all my FLAC files on my home system but hopefully the prices come down somewhat. Otherwise, I am with MedozK- I would rather own the vinyl copy of the studio albums. I am hoping PJ will hook up a deal with PONO to bring down the price of the FLACHD live shows. $20 bucks a pop is a little steep. I think they would sell a LOT more at $10.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

I am part of the group. I purchased this mainly to play all my FLAC files on my home system but hopefully the prices come down somewhat. Otherwise, I am with MedozK- I would rather own the vinyl copy of the studio albums. I am hoping PJ will hook up a deal with PONO to bring down the price of the FLACHD live shows. $20 bucks a pop is a little steep. I think they would sell a LOT more at $10.

Don't think that would ever happen. A 3.5 gig download for 10 bucks? iTunes sells inferior .m4a files for 10 bucks for only a 100mb download. MB!! .You are getting a better deal downloading a 3.5gig ... 3 hour show for 20 bucks, IMO.

Apple are making a shit load of money. Money coming from dumb consumers who are willing to pay for an inferior product. Why would you pay 10 bucks for a 100mb inferior .m4a product when you can pay 10 bucks & own a superior audio CD? I little bit more you can own the superior vinyl product?

20 bucks for a 3.5 gig download @ 24 Bit 96kHz is pretty sweet. I wonder if Pearl Jam will take it up a notch next month & release their live NA '14 show's in 24 Bit 192kHz. *drools
  • Options
    demetrios said:

lolobugg said:

Don't think that would ever happen. A 3.5 gig download for 10 bucks? iTunes sells inferior .m4a files for 10 bucks for only a 100mb download. MB!! .You are getting a better deal downloading a 3.5gig ... 3 hour show for 20 bucks, IMO.

Apple are making a shit load of money. Money coming from dumb consumers who are willing to pay for an inferior product. Why would you pay 10 bucks for a 100mb inferior .m4a product when you can pay 10 bucks & own a superior audio CD? I little bit more you can own the superior vinyl product?

20 bucks for a 3.5 gig download @ 24 Bit 96kHz is pretty sweet. I wonder if Pearl Jam will take it up a notch next month & release their live NA '14 show's in 24 Bit 192kHz. *drools
    I hear ya,
    I have never and will never pay money for an MP3
    I am just thinking of economy of scale....digital downloads cost very to produce. They are recording the shows either way. Once it is mixed-it is done for the most part. everything they sell is almost pure profit(I guess they pay residuals on the cover songs), whereas vinyl has huge overhead especially with the lack of pressing plants.
    I know it won't happen but I am just saying- I would personally buy more bootlegs if they were less expensive. It doesn't make sense but it is just consumer behavior. If I am paying over $20 then I want a physical object.
    So for me it will be Leeds and Cinci in FLACHD regardless of how awesome any of the other shows are.

And yeah I hope they put their money where there mouth is and start releasing the 192kHz.
    shit, I might even forego the vinyl version for a studio recording in that quality

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2014
    lolobugg said:

And yeah I hope they put their money where there mouth is and start releasing the 192kHz.
    shit, I might even forego the vinyl version for a studio recording in that quality

I dont have the equipment or ears to hear what makes 192 superior. I like vinyl and cds for the tangible product. Digital is just to "hands off" for me.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

lolobugg said:

I dont have the equipment or ears to hear what makes 192 superior. I like vinyl and cds for the tangible product. Digital is just to "hands off" for me.
    Yeah, I am prob too old school to give up vinyl.
    My TT isn't audiophile but its pretty damn good.
    anxious to compare it against the PONO

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Flashback Friday!

Posted by the PonoMusic Team

Hi all!

Nostalgia for the Kickstarter inspired us to flip through old photos from the campaign.
    We found one we couldn't help but share with you all:

Remember our puppy Jojo?
    We are looking forward to getting photos of you with your players when you receive them!
    Happy weekend and start to fall!
  • Options
    Oct 1! Hopefully we start hearing more about the Pono soon!

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    MedozK said:

It will be interesting how far this HD Audio thing goes... how many consumers will pay $18-$25 an album for high rez digital files.

Myself, I would rather buy the vinyl for close/attentive listening at home, and listen to the shameful mp3s on the go.....but again thats just me.

The thing is, you don't need HD audio to benefit from a player like Pono. A high quality DAC and high quality set of IEM's/Headphones go a long way. One of the reasons there's a small demand for high quality players is that smartphones and generic mp3 players use average quality DACs.

My Cowon S9 is getting a little old (which I currently use to play regular FLAC) and I've been thinking of buying a PONO to replace it. I don't think I'd feel the need to rebuy all my music in HD, I'm content with a high quality player.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    I just looked into this Pono player and I will have to buy the albums again? No thanks...
  • Options

I just looked into this Pono player and I will have to buy the albums again? No thanks...

Not at all. It's capable of playing multiple files. The pitch is it'll make those files sound better.

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014