Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

How much more capital could they possibly need? And why now? Something doesn't smell right here.

How much did they end up making in the KICKSTARTER campaign???
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

How much more capital could they possibly need? And why now? Something doesn't smell right here.

How much did they end up making in the KICKSTARTER campaign???
    Don't recall but it was a multiple of their initial ask. I'm probably wrong. But, this just seems like they promised some early investors a certain return by a certain date and since they don't really have any sales/income, they need to get the money somewhere.

I think Bernie Madoff did something like that....

Again, I'm probably wrong. Just seems weird to me after the tremendous success of the non-ownership Kickstarter campaign to now be doing an ownership sale. I didn't read the details, but I'm guessing they are non-voting, non-preferred shares that amount to a disproportionately low % share of the company (i.e. I know $5,000 is very low relative to others' earlier investment. What I'm saying is my guess is even at that, the ratio of those 2 things to relative ownership is not equal even considering the early/late investment traunches). Something's amiss.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,585

I think it seems totally normal myself. Nothing fishy. This is how it goes. It takes a shit-ton of money to start a major business. They are aiming for something big, not some rinky-dink business out of a garage.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I still want one of these fucking things. Like the iPod when it first came out. Cost me $299.99 in our university bookstore.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it seems totally normal myself. Nothing fishy. This is how it goes. It takes a shit-ton of money to start a major business. They are aiming for something big, not some rinky-dink business out of a garage.
    How many businesses start out big? And this is clearly a niche market play at start up. Something doesn't add up.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

How many businesses start out big? And this is clearly a niche market play at start up. Something doesn't add up.
    $-)
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

I think it totally adds up. These are big people who are trying to start big. Makes total sense to me. Lol, I can't believe that you think these multi-millionaire hippies, including Neil Young, are trying to scam people out of $5000, one investor at a time, at the risk of going to prison for fraud, hahaha. :P ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think it totally adds up. These are big people who are trying to start big. Makes total sense to me. Lol, I can't believe that you think these multi-millionaire hippies, including Neil Young, are trying to scam people out of $5000, one investor at a time, at the risk of going to prison for fraud, hahaha. :P ;)
    Well the allusion to Madoff was hyperbolic humor (maybe a poor attempt). But it is entirely possible there's key salaries or investors or something that needs to be paid now to continue which seems weird considering what they've raised, who's supposed to be financially involved and where they are supposed to be at (2 months from initial release). And if you truly believe their business plan is to start big and you are right, this is not a business I recommend anyone investing in at this juncture. There is way too much to overcome for this to be anything but a slow build type of product/business at best and Betamax at worst. Even the store they've built is not translatable to anything but what they are selling in the first place. How many are giving up their iPods for this pyramid shaped monstrosity for the sake of supposed sound improvement that most people won't hear or care about?

And I don't think it's Neil and his buddies that came up with this. They are so far beyond that at this point. It's the business and technical guys that want to get paid and not necessarily wait or gamble on, you know, actually producing a product that can make money.

Let's put it this way - if they went on Shark Tank, they'd be leaving empty handed. Thus why they need to continue feeding off the little guys.

But, I'm probably wrong.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    I think you are absolutely right in this ^

I mean in terms of the potential for this to be a game changer like the ipod was. Were talking a product that is very much geared to a niche market, and a product that doesn't have the inventive step necessary to knock the ipod from its stronghold perch.

Anyone who is going to do that has to have a hell of an invention and a product that reaches out to people who like their music really high def is just not going to achieve that.

Weve seen ipod crush all competitors up to now and there have been some great ones along the way.

That said I backed the campaign because I wanted the pearl jam signed one to sit on my shelf, so that's a pretty clever move to start with (not by me, by them ;) )
  • Options
    I would not be surprised if the long term goal was to be acquired by a company like Apple. Apple could then integrate the technology in a high fidelity version of the iPod and could have a special iTunes Store that sells the higher quality music files. Think about it, they just bought beats by dre, and everyone said the same about his product when it first came out. "Who is going to buy headphones from dr dre?". Maybe this is beats by dre for the hippie nation? Imagine listening to your Pono-Pos using your Apple Beats by Dre hi fidelity headphones? Neil just has to prove there is a viable market. I don't even think it matters that the first player looks like crap. A large company like Apple with its top notch product designers would fix that
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

I mean in terms of the potential for this to be a game changer like the ipod was. Were talking a product that is very much geared to a niche market, and a product that doesn't have the inventive step necessary to knock the ipod from its stronghold perch.

Anyone who is going to do that has to have a hell of an invention and a product that reaches out to people who like their music really high def is just not going to achieve that.

Weve seen ipod crush all competitors up to now and there have been some great ones along the way.

That said I backed the campaign because I wanted the pearl jam signed one to sit on my shelf, so that's a pretty clever move to start with (not by me, by them ;) )

I totally understand getting the PJ one (or whatever one you chose), especially as a collectors item. Hell, you probably want the thing to go belly up for collectors' reasons. ;):))

I just don't see this as a wise investment.
  • Options

I would not be surprised if the long term goal was to be acquired by a company like Apple. Apple could then integrate the technology in a high fidelity version of the iPod and could have a special iTunes Store that sells the higher quality music files. Think about it, they just bought beats by dre, and everyone said the same about his product when it first came out. "Who is going to buy headphones from dr dre?". Maybe this is beats by dre for the hippie nation? Imagine listening to your Pono-Pos using your Apple Beats by Dre hi fidelity headphones? Neil just has to prove there is a viable market. I don't even think it matters that the first player looks like crap. A large company like Apple with its top notch product designers would fix that

Absolutely that's the play here. I actually see the potential for a BOSE to do something, as the design lends itself more to home use than portable use. The fact is if they could have made it flatter and smaller they would have (despite the spin they use).

On the other hand, BOSE and Apple are doing just fine, and I'm not sure there's the market for this. The problem is folks turning over their entire collections. I realize that happened with CDs (from cassette AND vinyl), but is this enough to make people want to make that investment? Even with iTunes- the reason this works is the portability vs. CDs. As Paul mentioned - there was a significant change that makes the proposition make sense. While I'm not the audiofile some folks are, I do enjoy the nuances of my music and realize what I have settled for when I am running with my iPod. I see no need to turn my collection over to get what some write ups have pointed out I may not even be able to recognize the difference in.

Regardless, it's like these new Super High Def TV's they are now coming out with. I see the difference, but I'm not running out and replacing the sets I have to get that incremental improvement that I know will make my sports look better. The difference is, the companies producing the newer TVs are continually improving the product they put out to beat the competition as they've been doing. So, is there a need for a BOSE or an Apple to buy this rather than continuing to incremental improve their current product even if they never reach Neil's idea of sound perfection? I don't see it worth their money either because of the content issue. It just seems like a risk they don't need to take.

Maybe the better analogy is 3D TV - yeah, sure it's cool, and a couple providers picked up the idea and produced content, but it has died as common sense would tell you b/c nobody wants to put on glasses to watch TV. It just wasn't necessary (using that in terms of consumer necessary and not food and water).

Anyhow, I think that's all tied to why they are seeking more public money. The initial investors see this basic issue (or their advisers do and finally got through to them), so that faucet's been turned off and the "workers/managers" want to get paid (as do the initial investors).

So, we will see. As I said, I'm probably wrong. Great collectors item. But, I'm not sure it's an actual viable business.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,177
    Let the fuckin thing roll out for christ sakes

and where does Neil or anybody say this will take down apple, or they need it to make a gazillion dollars?

The fact they target a niche crowd is probably their saving grace. I dont expect lil 15yr old Becky who says OMG every 30 seconds to get this or want to be a part of it. I personally dont care what it looks like, as long as it does what they say Ill be happy...if not I'm not gonna cry about a measly $400 lost.....like morons on here cry about a $25 membership to their favorite band when all they get are stickers when they wanted some other crap annual gift.

And I dont see this as a collectors item...its an electronic, USE the fuckin thing. In a few yrs its obsolete. Same goes for vinyl. Posters ok...they are meant to be looked at.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I dunno. Selling equity like that at that price level at this time seems a little concerning.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I dunno. Selling equity like that at that price level at this time seems a little concerning.

if someone has $ 5,000 to dish out for this and they dont get what they expect, I dont feel bad for them

just like any other investment...if it was full proof we'd all be involved

• Options
    CROJAM95 said:

MayDay10 said:

if someone has $ 5,000 to dish out for this and they dont get what they expect, I dont feel bad for them

It doesn't seem like they are trying to take advantage of fans to you?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    pdalowsky said:

There is a massive gap from "big" and ipod though. Why do I get the feeling that some people think it's ipod level or bust?
    This product is better than the ipod, and while it won't replace it, there is a pretty large market of people who won't even touch anything Apple and are looking for a good portable player. There is totally room for this thing in the market.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

CROJAM95 said:

MayDay10 said:

I bought a player cause I'm into high quality music...not cause Neil, not cause PJ. The fact they are both involved in my new toy is a bonus.

CROJAM95 said:

MayDay10 said:

Business is Business....so no I actually do not. Forking over $5K should involve research, and if it doesnt than you probably have alot of cash then so what?

There is prob a 50/50 chance this thing goes Belly up within the 1st few yrs .....and I know I've said I believe in it, still doesn't mean shit. This is just the nature of the beast

Just about every cool thing we have today faced the same obstacle's , does that mean they should never have been attempted it?

The job I have now was an incredibly risky job at 1st compared to my last job where I had great job security, benefits etc.....I took a chance and left that job and 3 yrs in I'm seeing tremendous growth ( knock on wood)

gotta roll them dice

Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • Options
    50/50 odds are great odds when it comes to investing.

I have NO clue what this "taking advantage of the fans" business is about. We are all adults and can make an informed decision as to what we spend our money on. I don't think too many children are investing in this.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have NO clue what this "taking advantage of the fans" business is about. We are all adults and can make an informed decision as to what we spend our money on. I don't think too many children are investing in this.

Have you seen the blind adoration around these parts? It's not just PJ that elicits that response (though it does seem to be disproportionate).

I was really talking about the most recent money grab. It is not an investment opportunity. It is a money grab plain and simple. Again, I haven't read the ownership type and % you get, so maybe, I'm wrong here in guessing it amounts to nothing more than preying on people. And if you've watched these boards and seen people complain about not affording food, but then going to 15 concerts in a row, you know there are folks spending $5,000 that shouldn't be. It's not just folks that can throw it away. That's distasteful.

But, it does extend to the equipment itself, also - how many of the purchases do you think were for the equipment and how many b/c of the signatures? If you bought it for the latter only and are convincing yourself the technology is worth it - that's being taken advantage of. (If you bought it for the sigs as a collectors' item, then that is not. You're buying it for what it is to you).

If you believe in the tech, and are into that kind of stuff and you bought one as an early adopter to see the thing succeed, then great. But, I'd wager at least 75% of what was bought in the Kickstarter was b/c of the sigs and not the equipment (just look at which artists sold and which didn't. If you wanted in on the technology, when PJ sold out, should you really care if Kenny Rogers signed yours? Can't you just hide the sig? It's the technology that's important. Isn't it?). Again, that's taking advantage of the fans.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited August 2014
    And if you want to see what this stuff has wrought. Look no further than Lost Dogs

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/236467/fs-signed-neil-young-poster-from-carnegie-hall-by-blek-le-rat

How many of the PJ Ponos were bought to flip? Fans taking advantage of fans. Neil has taught us well. I'm sure Ed's happy that his support has turned into this great big money grab by the Pono folks.

If they need investment money they should do it the way other credible businesses do it and not take advantage of people. Here's guessing those other sources said no (or they didn't even try) b/c they had to tell them what they were using the money for and they have lawyers and business people that know the right questions to ask (and have the opportunity to do so).
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Have you seen the blind adoration around these parts? It's not just PJ that elicits that response (though it does seem to be disproportionate).

I was really talking about the most recent money grab. It is not an investment opportunity. It is a money grab plain and simple. Again, I haven't read the ownership type and % you get, so maybe, I'm wrong here in guessing it amounts to nothing more than preying on people. And if you've watched these boards and seen people complain about not affording food, but then going to 15 concerts in a row, you know there are folks spending $5,000 that shouldn't be. It's not just folks that can throw it away. That's distasteful.

But, it does extend to the equipment itself, also - how many of the purchases do you think were for the equipment and how many b/c of the signatures? If you bought it for the latter only and are convincing yourself the technology is worth it - that's being taken advantage of. (If you bought it for the sigs as a collectors' item, then that is not. You're buying it for what it is to you).

If you believe in the tech, and are into that kind of stuff and you bought one as an early adopter to see the thing succeed, then great. But, I'd wager at least 75% of what was bought in the Kickstarter was b/c of the sigs and not the equipment (just look at which artists sold and which didn't. If you wanted in on the technology, when PJ sold out, should you really care if Kenny Rogers signed yours? Can't you just hide the sig? It's the technology that's important. Isn't it?). Again, that's taking advantage of the fans.
    Blind admiration? No, I haven't seen that. I've seen people finding out about a cool product that they want. I see no blindness, I think everyone here deserves a lot more credit. I am surprised you are somehow blaming a company for the decisions of the consumers. As though making the product even better by putting the etchings on is the same as drugging all the buyers? They are giving the buyers what they want. I don't care if someone wants it because of an etching or because of the device. I personally didn't buy one at all yet because of the awkward shape of the thing, lol.

Obviously they think this will be or certainly very well could be a great business so they are offering people an opportunity it to invest, and a way for them to do research before they do. Nothing shady about that. It seems normal to me. It's not like they're insisting. They're just throwing it out there for people who are interested in making an investment. This is a high end product and the amount of money they're taking in doesn't seem out of hand to me for what is essentially an electronics company with a significant jumping off point because of the players involved and their expectations for the pono.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    If they really want to raise more dough, you'd think they could just find private equity investors who could put up serious money. Either that didn't work, or they truly want to include smaller investors in the project.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

If they really want to raise more dough, you'd think they could just find private equity investors who could put up serious money. Either that didn't work, or they truly want to include smaller investors in the project.

Didn't they make a big point of saying that they want to involve the music fans who really care about high quality audio when they started out?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,918
    edited August 2014
    Pearl Jam LE Announcement - Pono has announced that the Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Lightning Bolt - 44.1 KHz/24 bit
    vs. (Expanded Edition) - 44.1 KHz/24 bit

Description Discussion: Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono.

https://ponomusic.force.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g=0F9A00000004qjO (You'll need to log into your account to view).
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,918
    edited August 2014
    Was kinda hoping for a Pearl Jam album in 192kHz / 24Bit audio. Hopefully there will be singles & studio albums available down the road in that quality.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    RocketninoRocketnino SLO, CA Posts: 42
    Well, I think we all kinda assumed that Lightning Bolt would be one of the two - but man, I didn't see Vs. coming in as the other album. Even though it's not my favorite PJ album, the remastered version of that album is probably my favorite sounding remaster ever done, by any band, period. Just puts so much new life into that sound.

Can't wait to hear the stomping in W.M.A, the drop from the intro notes of RVM into the main guitar groove, the quiet subtleties of Daughter... man, it's gonna be rich.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    Asking for more money when they haven't produced a sale yet or an actual product doesn't mean they're in trouble or whatever, all it means is they are likely paying out their initial investors with the unexpected huge success of the Kickstarter campaign.

Kind of cheeky in my opinion, cause like the other dude said no venture capital guy/gal would give a business money with no product, no sales and likely little of their own equity.

I don't think it's taking advantage of "the little guy", just a business decision.

PS. Still want and wanted a PJ pono for my record shelf. Hopefully it won't cost me a thousand bucks! haha. I wonder as an investor if I could pull some strings. ;)
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    2 fine choices

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    demetrios said:

Pearl Jam LE Announcement - Pono has announced that the Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE for Kickstarter backers will include:

Lightning Bolt - 44.1 KHz/24 bit
    vs. (Expanded Edition) - 44.1 KHz/24 bit

Description Discussion: Pearl Jam Artist Signature Series LE

Details surrounding recording provenance and the artists choices will be included here as this information becomes available to Pono.

https://ponomusic.force.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g=0F9A00000004qjO (You'll need to log into your account to view).

kind of a let down, but oh well. i wish pj would realize that binaural is their best record and stop shitting on it. doesn't matter either way though because obviously anyone here is going to load up all of their stuff and the majority of what i listen to is boots anyway.