Options

Benaroya Hall, seriously?

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I don't know. Coming here and tossing everyone into a corner and calling them stupid because the value of vinyl is poor form.

I own it. I think it is awesome. I would never pay a grand for it, but if someone wants to... why not. For some people a k isn't that much.

Vault 3 is awesome too. That was also limited and once the dust settles, those will be valuable too. It's just the way vinyl and collectibles work. I bought a no code for 125 last week and listened to it 5 times already. No regrets.

Maybe I could have given 125 to charity... or maybe I should ever post here when I could be building houses for the homeless or volunteering at an old folks home
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

There was zero demand and zero hype when it was first pressed and released.

I'm not sure why you've taken such a hostile approach to this topic, but this statement right here shows you are way out of your element. You were obviously not around when this came out. They sold out very quickly. The buzz around them was not an immediate, but to say there was no demand? That's just incorrect.

Not sure why you're so mad about what some people are willing to pay for a limited edition vinyl release I also don't get what you are trying to convince others of (or perhaps more importantly yourself).
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    Well BinFrog, you are correct, I am just so mad about it and I just trying to convince myself. Spot on. I throw out logic towards what it seems everyday people are talking about on these boards and now what have I been labeled so far and told what I'm thinking? Mad, I wanted everyone to know that I listened to it first, I'm a hipster, I sold mine and now regret it, I'm trying to convince myself of something, I trying to build up hype, and I'm sure I missed some others. I make a rational point to this record, and all of a sudden people act like I've insulted their moms or something. It is ridiculous. I make a point and wolf pack mentality comes out in full force and instead of taking what I said for what it is, people want to try and read between lines, look into it like there is some sort of hidden meaning or come to conclusions of how I'm feeling. You can defend this record all you want to, I've just simply stated how this "holy grail" really isn't that special or worth the going price. When someone has posted to sell theirs here, or posted to look to buy one, I've never commented or expressed my opinion in their postings. People are free to sell or buy for as much as they want.
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    At least it's safer than investing in BitCoins....had they been released 30 year earlier, and been somewhat exclusive (2000 ex is not...really not, most are even accounted for(!))

Gluttony is a bad investment mentality, and so very, very not Rock 'n Roll
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    edited February 2014
    yeah face it people, it is basically a rare baseball card, not a record if you don't SPIN THAT FUCKER. Listen to the Cd and spend your money on something else, it really isn't that big of a deal. Better yet, spend 15 dollars downloading it, and donate $1985.00 to charity.

Yes I had it, yes I played, and I sold it to someone else for exactly what I paid for it 600 bucks. I got caught up in the I must have every vinyl fever, and you know what, not worth 2k.

The wine colored vinyl is fucking sweet though
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    DamiensDamiens Posts: 766
    This thread has taken an odd turn with the whole Benny vs. Charity piece. I'm not sure these two things are mutually exclusive and frankly this starts getting into a larger issue about money and wealth and ethical responsiblity. I mean most everyone could live in a smaller house, drive a less nice car and donate more to worthy causes and charity. I could not send my kid to a great preschool and use that money to support any number of causes. I don't think someone who owns a Benny that they paid any amount for made an unethical choice.
    People spend their money that they earned on what they want and what makes them happy whether that's buying vinyl, donating to charity, a mix of those two things or spending it all on cheese popcorn. I donate to charities, I volunteer when I can, I bought a Benny for a grand. I don't see these things in conflict with each other.

In terms of the Benny just being four pieces of vinyl again I respectfully disagree. It's the experience of listening to that particular vinyl over and over again. It'd be like saying Batman issue #1 is just some pieces of paper with ink on them or that and Edgar Degas original is just a canvas with paint. Art transcends it's medium, people place a value on the experience and the emotional impact of a piece of art not just on the materials that created the art.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Damiens said:

Art transcends it's medium, people place a value on the experience and the emotional impact of a piece of art not just on the materials that created the art.

VERY VERY nice!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Long live physical media! I predict once the second coming of the vinyl format dies down & makes way for whatever is next, the vinyl nerds will still spin their records & the collectors will be holding onto theirs. The world will spin on. Doing good will always feel good no matter how much you spent on a 'bunch of records.'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    Benny transcends ~40 new 180gm records of your own choosing in terms of emotion, width of expression, artistic depth???
    How the (1*10^9-2000) people who are bereft this experience suffer...let them eat misprints and Immortalities
  • Options
    Damiens, I can see your point. If someone wants to looks at it as art, then by all means value it at whatever price you think it is worth. To me the art is what is pressed onto the vinyl. I have a hard time considering when it comes to music, that the format is the real art. It is pressed vinyl by a machine inside a cardboard box that has some print on it, to me anyways. Thank you for actually having a real reply to this post and expressing your opinion about the record. I guess this is the kind of replies I was expecting to get. Nice input.

I do agree with experience of opening and spinning records. It is a format that offers almost a ritualistic experience that no other format can offer. But to say the price of the experience for someone in the last few years market to have that experience at around 1k to me is a little over the top. I just fail to see it being this valuable. But to each their own right?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited February 2014
    Just curious, what other vinyl box sets out there or lp's are going for 1000 G's? I know at the last record convention I was at here in Austin tx I saw Sinatra albums for around that price.

It seems completely absurd to me... If I couldn't find another medium to listen to the show and it was ONLY available in vinyl I would understand..... But I downloaded it for $0. Unless I'm loaded I'll never think it's worthwhile. Damn, put the 1000 into something you really need.

Edited because I can't spell shit
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pdalowsky said:

Strange thread

The market price is high because there's demand. If it was purely hype based it wouldn't have lasted this long.

I agree. Supply and Demand dictate price of most all goods.
  • Options
    At least with the Benaroya Hall you get 4 LPs for $1000

With this one you just 4 songs for $1000
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Liquid vinyl 45s with fish and a years supply of fish food. You so crazy Jack White!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Liquid vinyl 45s with fish and a years supply of fish food. You so crazy Jack White!

:))
  • Options
    Is that really how much the TMR triple decker is going for? Has anyone actually bought/sold it at that price?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Is that really how much the TMR triple decker is going for? Has anyone actually bought/sold it at that price?

Depending on your luck between $600 and $1000. I have seen quite a few sell for $750
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Who said anything about this going for 2k?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Someone was selling #10/2000 for $2000
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    MedozK said:

Did it actually sell for that price though?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

MedozK said:

Did it actually sell for that price though?
    Not that I know of.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    We're all grown ups here and are quite capable of understanding the vinyl/PJ market, and of being able to work out our own motivations and desires when it comes to what we want to own and what we think it's worth to us. Not sure why you feel the need to "school" us here on Lost Dogs, which is full of people who are basically experts on the subject of vinyl and/or Pearl Jam merch collecting, lol. You sound like you think we're all a bunch of stupid hipsters or something, but honestly, i think the collectors here have a much better understanding of what you're talking about than you do, and enjoy the added benefit of not being super arrogantly judgemental.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    And there is PJ soul with a powerful response. So now I'm arrogantly judgmental on top of everything else for my view of a record set. Yea, I have no clue what I'm talking about. This record is most certainly worth a price tag of 1k. I was completely wrong... Great comment. Did you high five yourself after that one? I would have.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I think it's value comes as both a collectible and vinyl. It's such a rare vinyl in the PJ Catalog and a rare item that demand far outstrips supply. An Original Mint Condition Action Comics would fetch a million dollars. Is it worth a million dollars to everyone? I'd never pay a million dollars for a comic, but I can understand why people who have the means might.

I like collecting always have. Collecting is pretty hard unless you pony up for some stuff. Some stuff is limited and hard to come by. Someone who has one might not part with it for $35 dollars but they might for a grand.

I don't know how to explain it. On this message board many of us collect PJ stuff. Some people collect comics. Some people collect cards. Some people collect old model trains. Some people collect original NES games etc....

Collecting is its own beast and I think people who collect can understand why other people collect (even if they don't collect the same things). People who don't understand it. It makes no more sense to them why someone would pay a grand for a comic book, a rare nes cartridge, or a vinyl.

Thats just me. Everyone's different, but I've always enjoyed collecting stuff. It probably goes all the way back to when I was a kid and people talked about how Wayne Gretzky rookie cards were worth $600. I think was sucked in right there :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited February 2014

And there is PJ soul with a powerful response. So now I'm arrogantly judgmental on top of everything else for my view of a record set. Yea, I have no clue what I'm talking about. This record is most certainly worth a price tag of 1k. I was completely wrong... Great comment. Did you high five yourself after that one? I would have.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Just calling it as i see it. What ISN'T arrogantly judgemental about a post that first informs everyone of shit they already know, suggests that they don't really understand what they're doing, and then calls them dumbasses?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DamiensDamiens Posts: 766
    I think this all basically just boils down to everyone has different likes and tastes and values things differently. My wife thinks I'm insane for buying the Benny, I think spending more than $15 on UGG boots is insane. I don't think the OP is a bad guy, or less of a fan and I would say the majority of the world would probably agree with him that $1000 for a Pearl Jam record is crazy. That being said there's enough of us here that do value this piece highly so we drive the demand for the very limited supply left to purchase and basic economic principals take over from there.

The turn that troubles me more in the thread is the assertion (not from the OP) that there's this conflict between collecting and charity. Why is buying a Benny, or really any collectible scrutinized as a "oh that money could have gone to charity"? If you're typing on this forum on a laptop what makes the grand you spent on the laptop more valid than a grand someone spends on a collectible? I'm sure the answer is something like, "collectibles are frivilous, you don't need them". I argue you don't really NEED a laptop (or a smart phone or a new car, or starbucks every day, etc. etc.). Laptops are great, they do a lot of things but few people literally need them to survive. Where is the "oh they have a laptop, that could have gone to charity"?

To be clear, I'm all for charity, I think it's important to help others and I love a lot of the charitable work I've seen on Lost Dogs. I just don't like the insinuations that collecting somehow is in conflict to being charitable. I think it's very difficult for anyone to credibly make that judgement about others as pretty much EVERYONE spends some of their money and resources on themselves and things that they want and don't need. There's very few individuals that only buy what they need to survive and give the rest to others.

So whether you've bought a boat, a Benny, season tickets, a tuxedo, a snowboard, whatever I'm not going to judge and be like "oh you bought those season tickets? I just watch at home on my TV and give what I would have spent on season tickets to charity because I'm more ethical than you." Find a balance, give when you can give, help others often, and buy some things that make you happy somewhere in there as well.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Take a deep breath.

You are one person who, for whatever reason, is on a mission to convince us that this collector's item isn't worth what several people have paid for it. You know...market value. Supply and demand. Whatever you want to call it.

So, again, what exactly is your point?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Is their something for sale in this topic?
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Is their something for sale in this topic?

Just an opinion apparently.

:D
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018