Options

a sealed Benny went for $960 on ebay today

Don't get me wrong, it's still idiotic money, but it's the lowest I've seen in ages.

Comments

• Options
    The buyer must be so proud to add to a collection of fine unsealed records. I bet the buyer can't wait to tell someone how much was spent to obtain it.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Why hate on the buyer...lol. Don't be jealous they have $960 to throw away on some vinyl that they may or may not play.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited January 2014
    =D>
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    bellosjambellosjam Posts: 288
    An opened one just went for $1025 today. Good shape, low number.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    $-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    I'm assuming that those who are buying them are more flippers and we will see them later for more and more money.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Good to see the prices are down a little bit every now and then. I hope I can get my hands on one of these one day. I don't mind if sealed or not, even the box can be missing. Only the LPs should be in playable shape...
  • Options
    bellosjam said:

Always wondered why people care about a low number. They were all pressed at the same time. They just happened to number the ones in front of them first.

Now if Binaural can only go down in price...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610

The buyer must be so proud to add to a collection of fine unsealed records. I bet the buyer can't wait to tell someone how much was spent to obtain it.

???? Why would you make that assumption??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    oysterjar said:

I'm assuming that those who are buying them are more flippers and we will see them later for more and more money.

Hmm.
    Pretty sure there are plenty of fans out there who would buy it to play it. I definitely would if i had the money.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

Hmm.
    Pretty sure there are plenty of fans out there who would buy it to play it. I definitely would if i had the money.
    It is quite possible and hopefully it was. I just imagine those that are in "the business" of making money off of collectibles will continue to collect and hold, only to flip later. That is one record that will continue to increase in value for a few more years. I hope I'm wrong though!

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Wish they'd just do a standard reissue of this. That's the only way I'll ever own it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited January 2014

bellosjam said:

Always wondered why people care about a low number. They were all pressed at the same time. They just happened to number the ones in front of them first.
    yep...think about it. They come off the press & go into a pile. A person walks up, grabs the stack & starts signing. They grab the first one on top of the pile 1st, right?....Which will NOT be the first one pressed, because that one would be on the bottom of the pile, right?
    Never understood that lower numbered thing either.
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2014
    Great insight PJradio

Conversely anyone could justify any number in the pressing as "special", example if you advertised enough you could say that #10 of the benny pressing is the most sought out. (for obvious reasons)

I am always, always baffled as to why an unsealed benny is so sought after. For once I would like to see a buyer of the benny at an outrageous price show pics opening or playing it. It is just mind-boggling that a limited number of people are flipping the sealed benny so often.

There can't be that many sealed bennys left (or am I wrong please help me out with this someone) the market must be very limited in itself.

There is no credible answer as to why collectors want a sealed benny. If someone can provide one please do.

The sealed benny seems to be rare among collectors and flippers not fans.

If bennys were in the hands of fans there would be no unsealed benny to talk about.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

Great insight PJradio

Conversely anyone could justify any number in the pressing as "special", example if you advertised enough you could say that #10 of the benny pressing is the most sought out. (for obvious reasons)

I am always, always baffled as to why an unsealed benny is so sought after. For once I would like to see a buyer of the benny at an outrageous price show pics opening or playing it. It is just mind-boggling that a limited number of people are flipping the sealed benny so often.

There can't be that many sealed bennys left (or am I wrong please help me out with this someone) the market must be very limited in itself.

There is no credible answer as to why collectors want a sealed benny. If someone can provide one please do.

The sealed benny seems to be rare among collectors and flippers not fans.

If bennys were in the hands of fans there would be no unsealed benny to talk about.

I guess it would be like owning a never driven, but well kept '67 Camaro. I don't understand why people saved records so long sealed either other then to rip people off. Sad really.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    It doesn't make sense because physical media has a utility. Different than other collectibles like baseball cards or coins. Keeping vinyl sealed or keeping multiple vinyl sealed is strange because it just sits there. No display 'neatness' to it IMO. Now you could come over to my place & you can check out prints I have hanging & see they are neat to look at, make my office/studio look neat or marvel at the massive number of hockey cards I got signed chasing down players as a kid and say how cool that was. Sealed vinyl or a sealed Benny serves no purpose other than to say, 'hey, I own this.' If you came over & I showed you my unplayed record collection all sealed in plastic wrap with dust all over it, you might ask what has been asked too many times on this board. Why?
    I have a pointed opinion on the matter and that is I don't see the point of letting these sit all sealed up when you could play them. Reminds me of 40 Year Old Virgin and all those toys in their original boxes. Open em' up & play!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

Hmm.
    It is quite possible and hopefully it was. I just imagine those that are in "the business" of making money off of collectibles will continue to collect and hold, only to flip later. That is one record that will continue to increase in value for a few more years. I hope I'm wrong though!
    If you collect and hold to sell later how is it flipping? I thought flipping was selling something immediately after obtaining it for a profit?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2014

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

Hmm.
    If you collect and hold to sell later how is it flipping? I thought flipping was selling something immediately after obtaining it for a profit?
    If you collect and hold something unsealed it is for one reason and that is to see if value will increase.

Having a decade old benny unsealed in your possession is a flipped benny.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If I had a Benny and got it sealed, it would immediately get unsealed because I'm gonna play the shit out of it and never sell it. To me, flipping is to buy something with the intention to sell it for a higher price and doing so after. No matter how long you wait.
    I would call myself a collector too, but I do play all my vinyl. Why spent that much money and then not use it?!

Btw there's one for 850 on discogs right now. Not sealed, but less than a grand... I am tempted. But this is just too much. They should just reissue it and make people like me and lots of others here happy.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

Btw there's one for 850 on discogs right now. Not sealed, but less than a grand... I am tempted. But this is just too much. They should just reissue it and make people like me and lots of others here happy.

Don't be tempted and don't do it. Unless you are rich then you can do whatever you want to. Buying a record for $850 is dumb.

It is enough that PJ fans have a rep of being loyal and hardcore but we are not stupid. Anyone who buys a record for $850 is stupid and dumb.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

• Options
    Yeah, there is no way to justify spending that much on a record. Even if I was rich. It saddens me. Everybody should be able to enjoy this awesome recording on their preferred medium.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Yeah, there is no way to justify spending that much on a record. Even if I was rich. It saddens me. Everybody should be able to enjoy this awesome recording on their preferred medium.

Someday, Lisa. (I hope!)

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Someday, Lisa. (I hope!)

Fingers crossed, Matt!

• Options

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

Hmm.
    If you collect and hold something unsealed it is for one reason and that is to see if value will increase.

Having a decade old benny unsealed in your possession is a flipped benny.
    Yes, thank you.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Guess I am stupid, dumb, and a fool...

Sure sounds beautiful coming out of my speakers though.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    You're not a fool, you are a fan! You wanted it, you could afford it, you got it and you play it :) Good for you! Enjoy it to the fullest! I just wish it would be easier for more people to get their hands on this...
  • Options
    jlaustin said:

Pics or what you are posting is not true.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    jlaustin said:

:))
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

jlaustin said:

Why are you doubting him?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

jlaustin said:

Why are you doubting him?
    Because the ever elusive sealed benny only appears to a select few. I want to see one in this forum.