Options

Benaroya Hall, seriously?

13»

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    While we're debating the cost of Benaroya Hall - I thought it might be a good time to go over a short video re: some other issues I've seen Pearl Jam fans get upset over.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IJ2SHSg5rIY&list=PLPU-SleOZ3Z88j0Fgk2ofyE8QT5Myqx-C#t=112
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TC282314TC282314 Posts: 380
    Save the drama for your mama.
  • Options
    :-@

so it's really not the new forum layout that makes me not wanna check the boards anymore...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Is it the poor grammar?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    it wasn't collecting vs charity, it was a statement. If you want to listen to the record fine, buy it for 2 grand 1600, 350, 50 cents. Hell buy it to let it sit on a shelf if you want to pay that much, your right. But if you think getting this is some mecca of a listening experience over the cd....just saying think again, put your money somewhere else. If charity is that as I suggested then great, if it is 8 copies of Binaural then fine. I was not hijacking this thread into some moral debate. My point is IMO I don;t think this record set is worth the money people ask and in some cases pay. But wait, it is my opinion, you don't have to agree, like it, heed it...your choice. Spend your cash how you want. Is this record some rare form of art, that is another debate I guess. To each their own.
  • Options
    Haha. I own one, not upset at all. Just simply expressing my view that I don't think the record is worth as much as it's going for. Aparently reading and comprehending isn't a strong point on this forum.
  • Options
    I think collecting is very personal choice. I owned Benny, loved it a lot, spun it a lot. No regrets in selling it. I just kinda outgrew it. Still play the CD occasionally, sounds the same as the vinyl to me. Sure the ritual is gone, but like I said I outgrew it....but no one is a dumbass for paying what they want.
  • Options

Is it the poor grammar?

I've always been able to ignore that before... damn public school systems. lets change direction one more time here, since the collecting vs. charity argument has been ironed out. is it the school system? or deadbeat parents? go!

oh yea... this is lost dogs, my bad :ar!
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Haha. I own one, not upset at all. Just simply expressing my view that I don't think the record is worth as much as it's going for. Aparently reading and comprehending isn't a strong point on this forum.

How many of them have to sell for over $1K before they are "worth it"?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    My Mom and Dad bought me one for $500 off eBay about 4 years ago. I totally get where the OP is coming from, but the show really does sound quite amazing. The room acoustics, radical set list, and reasons they played the show make for a special set. Yeah, I can list 2-3 shows that were 'better' - but recall that they had busted out 'the experiment' in Boston that 03' tour, so it was neat to see them harness that and put out a show for good cause. So, anyway, was it worth the $500 my Mom and Dad spent? If I'd ask them they'd say yes because they knew how happy it would make me just being that much closer to completing my PJ vinyl collection.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'm sure there are plenty of people that have doled out large sums of money for this that feel it's worth every penny...after all it's what good is money if you don't spend it.

As far as the sonic quality, every PJ album is overvalued when you take that into consideration.

I do think the show and the vinyl tends to get overrated by some/many, then again, I've never gotten the big appeal of PJ playing a full acoustic set over their normal routine. They get to present a bigger selection of their mellower songs, but I've much prefer they did those songs with the full volume dynamics.

Another question....How much has false demand played into the escalation of the Benny value? I can't pinpoint them, but there have definitely been instances where a Benny sells for way above the average market value, and in turn the value jumps. It's only a matter of time until somebody ponies up the $2k and the market price makes a big jump.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    DewieCox said:

As far as the sonic quality, every PJ album is overvalued when you take that into consideration.

I don't know, Vault 3 sounds pretty fucking amazing to me....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited February 2014
    Because the Benny is so elusive, I will never get to find out myself if it sounds shitty on vinyl. All I have is the word of seemingly underwhelmed owners of the vinyl image I gladly trade my Vault 3 in for a Benny, if any of you who don't like the sound of your Benny vinyl wants to...
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

Because the Benny is so elusive, I will never get to find out myself if it sounds shitty on vinyl. All I have is the word of seemingly underwhelmed owners of the vinyl image I gladly trade my Vault 3 in for a Benny, if any of you who don't like the sound of your Benny vinyl wants to...

:-B
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

A rippin' kick ass '98 PJ show (their peak year in my opinion) for a sit down acoustic show...I could never make that trade.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    That 98' vault show is flat out amazing! Benaroya kicks ass in a different kind of way!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    poop
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited February 2014

poop

/thread

Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Don't whip me, folks! I love the Vault show, and it gets spun a lot in my house. It is much more available on the market than the Benny though. I would do a trade and then try to snag a Vault later. For less than I would have to pay for the Benny. The Benaroya show is special to me, especially since it is an acoustic show. I just love it, from front to end. But I think that is common knowledge around here :\">
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I used to have it. Hated having to sell it. Hope that guy is still enjoying it. I'd buy it back from him now. Things are much better!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.