• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    edited January 2014
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    I love DTE as an opener. Been lucky to see it twice as an opener!!!
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Great show.

Crowd was a lot better and involved than I expected.

I was looking down over crowd and the view during Betterman, Alive and Black was pretty special....even though they are not usually my favs - it was goosebump material.

As everyone has mentioned, the band were on fire!!!

Highlights for me SOLAT, STBC, Getaway, Crown of Thorns. And I shed a tear during Black haha
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,705
    DonJon said:

Great show.

Crowd was a lot better and involved than I expected.

I was looking down over crowd and the view during Betterman, Alive and Black was pretty special....even though they are not usually my favs - it was goosebump material.

As everyone has mentioned, the band were on fire!!!

Highlights for me SOLAT, STBC, Getaway, Crown of Thorns. And I shed a tear during Black haha

Looking down at the crowd? Thought you would have been up the front with Sus, Lindy, Rob etc.?
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Nah I cant handle the crowds.

Even in 2009 I was never near the rail
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Wow Sound like it was fun as usual!
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    edited January 2014
    Thanks goldrush :). I bought a new camera on Sunday so I could take it to the BDO, so I am still learning how to use it, but I was happy with how some of the photos turned out.

I was wishing that I could have smuggled in my DSLR, but it was probably a good thing that I didn't, because at the BDO I even managed to bump the lens of my little point and shoot camera into the back of the head of the girl who was standing in front of me. So it was probably a good thing I didn't bring a long lens!
    ;)
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    edited January 2014
    I'm still buzzing from this show. Did not expect Sydney to have such an amazing crowd. I did have some trouble with bogans throughout the day but gladly pearl jam was mostly good (apart from drunk ladies hopping on each others shoulders right infront of me)

That first encore was amazing. Footsteps into a loud small town. Singing before eddie even asked. Chloe/Crown capped off with the most epic betterman and porch made this encore amazing. I also got the one song I wanted to hear this tour. In Hiding !

It almost felt like they were going to do one more after rocking. Eddie didn't want the band to leave the stage !

Hopefully adelaide and Perth deliver the same :D
    Post edited by B-Rock on
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • there was a drunk dude pushing his way through the front (Mike/Jeff's side of the stage) towards the end (i.e., Alive , Black) and upsetting some fans on the way with his off key screaming and shovin'..
  • After Mudhoney ended at 5.15pm, we went back to the blue stage main arena to get as close as possible for PJ at 8pm. Got to within 3 of the rail, Stones side & tolerated Beady Eye, who played a superb version of the Stones' classic Gimme Shelter....but that Liam Gallagher...no comment.

Then listened to Arcade Fire, who weren't too shabby, before the stars hit the stage a tick after 8pm.

1. Do The Evolution : traditional version & the crowd joins in eagerly.
    2. Mind Your Manners : fast rockout, & again the crowd are great.
    3. Animal : Perfect, the band are firing on all cylinders.
    4. Hail, Hail : Ed's perfect vocals confirm they are ON tonight.
    5. Getaway : As good live as on record.
    6. Corduroy : Great version of a great tune, rhythm guitar heaven for me.
    7. Lightning Bolt : My first tears of the night, just love this song so much. Again Ed's vocal is a killer.
    8. In Hiding : as requested by Mark Richards, who is on the side of the stage.
    9. Even Flow : Always a fave & Mike played the first half of the solo behind his neck a la Hendrix. A small Matt solo returns too.
    10. Severed Hand : Solid, band tight as a drum, again. Gives my voice a rest too
    11. Sirens : Fantastic, extended version & again the crowd joins in heartily. Aah ah oh oh!
    12. State of Love & Trust : Awesome version, ripping it up.
    13. Unthought Known : my favourite Backspacer track, & Ed stars - again!
    14. Insignificance : again the rhythm section shines, incredible.
    15. Let The Records Play : did I say the band was tight! Stone shines.
    16. Spin the Black Circle : Absolute killer version, as good as I've heard. Ed's vocals again perfect, every nuance hit.
    17. Rearviewmirror : Tears number 2 for me , so superb was this, Doesn't get any better. Jeff's bassline a standout, Matt's drumming, the whole band is on fire. Crowd going wild too.

Encore break 1

18. Footsteps : Superb again. Ed delivers the perfect vocal note for note - I know, because I sang along with him, probably much to the chagrin of the punter next to me recording it on her phone!
    19. Small Town : The crowd sings well again, much to Ed's delight.
    20. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns : The band pour their heart & soul into this, as always. So moving.
    21. Throw Your Arms Around Me : Ed solo, on electric guitar. Perfect Australia Day tune.
    22. Better Man : Extended version. Finally a Sydney crowd singing like the other great fans around the world do - the intro, during & outro. The Save It for Later tag is brilliant.
    23. Porch : Awesomeness again. Stone solo is a standout. The lanterns get a workout from the band again.

Encore break 2

24. Jeremy : Fantastic version, with the crowd helping at Ed's request. Again Jeff is the standout musician here.
    25. Black : Finally! & tears number 3. Crowd sings great again, & Ed sings the extended 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'. We Belong Together ends a beaut version of the greatest song of all (IMO)
    26. Alive : No matter how many times I hear it, it's just a great rock song. That riff! By this time the crowd are going apeshit, even Stone is smiling at us, as we all punch the air for the whole song. I'm surrounded by 6 women, all of varying age, who are looking after the old bloke - they're just as much into it as the men.
    27. Kick Out the Jams : Mark & Steve join for a fun rollicking rocker.
    28. Rockin' in the Free World : Superb ending, as normal. Stone again is outstanding, but they all were, so many places to look & only one pair of eyes!
    NB : 23 of the 28 songs played were on my fantasy set list. How great was that!
    2 & 3/4 hours of pure ecstasy!

General : The band's happiness shone through, as well as their playing of course. Even Stone smiled a lot ... for him. Mike did his usual laps, Jeff & Matt are such an awesome rhythm, & I even saw Boom dancing at the keys. But definitely Ed is the standout, his chatty & funny dialogue & actions, his interactions with the crowd (4 or 5 times on our side alone), his superb vocals : I've a new found admiration for the bloke, if that's possible. A mother & her son in front of me received a tambourine & guitar pic from Ed via security, the son wearing a Mark Richards T-shirt.

Having seen PJ just 3 times, it is easy for me to say this is the best of the 3, and by a long way too. But when people who have seen many more shows than me say it is the best they've ever seen - you will know I'm not simply saying the 'fan boy' thing. Just leaving the stadium and seeing the smiles and talking to fans & hearing them say the same thing - unfuckingbelievable. And I believe the band knew it too : Matt & Boom were recalled after leaving the stage by Ed & the boys to do the 6 man wave & bow, & to receive the plaudits ... oh, I think they knew it was superb tonight.

Only disappointment was the the sound on our side - Mike's guitar solos were barely audible. It's happened elsewhere this tour too. It's a small price to pay, especially for a Stone addict like me.

Also a big thank you to my hometown crowd : finally loud singing & interaction to be proud of Sydney, & thanks to the interstaters who helped.

Finally, but far from least, a huge thank you to my friend Lee. It's not often you meet people who share such a passion for similar music, it's as if we've known each other all our lives.
    A memorable day I will never forget.
  • Really enjoyed your detailed review, Oracle! Makes me want to get this boot-I'm sure I'll love it!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Yes that is a great review, I never ever thought I'd see a show in Sydney that was anywhere near this good, I have seen Pearl Jam in 3 different states of Australia and 3 different countries and to have that show 15 mins from my house made me very happy. The only shows that I have been to that I can place higher than this show is pj20, and that is only because I am a huge Chris Cornell/ Temple of the Dog fan. If I was to take away the Chris Cornell guest spot from Pearl Jam 20 than the Sydney BDO would be my favourite Pearl Jam show by a long long way.
  • Was at both Melbourne and Sydney and the Sydney show clearly blew Melbourne out of the water.

These were number 15 and 16 shows for me and with the way they ended the Sydney show I really have to consider going to Perth because I think they will just not get off the stage.

Amazing show/crowds/legends
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    The Oracle, I must have been right near you :) , I had 2 people in front of me to the rail and was on Stone's side. I agree with your comments about the sound from that side, it could definitely have been better.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Still buzzing hey... Simply brilliant
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Impressive show. Impressive day.
    Loved PJs set.
    Loved Arcade Fire. Wife got a copy of the set list! There were 5-6.
    Loved the Hives
    Loved the Drones (definitely check them up songs like Jezebel, Minitaur, I See Seaweed, Shark Fin Blues are a great start)
    Loved Violent Soho.

Looking forward to Perth in 3 days!
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • jk21jk21 Posts: 5
    Sydney BDO, 8.45pm. Photo of the screen showing the Eddie with the crowd, in case you want to pick yourself out among the smiling faces :)

• This is my first PJ show!
    Just to see this show, I went to Australia from Japan, one day.
    Excitement is not cool even now.
    I am grateful to Pearl Jam! I would also like to thank the audience of around!!!

PLEASE COME TO JAPAN!!!
  • Brilliant show! with my Sister, Niece and Son Seb, it was the first Pearl Jam show for my niece and Seb, we were on the rail on Stones side...Seb was shaking when EV announced his hero MR was there and MR helped with the Setlist...He was in complete shock that EV pointed at his MR shirt during Even Flow and shortly after gave him a pick!!! It was the happiest I have ever seen Seb ever!!! His Pick had MR on one side and EV the other same as his shirt...He had tears in his eyes!! Everyone near him was so kind congratulating him!! Seb held that pick in his hand for the entire night so tight it made a mark!! My niece by pure chance filmed the entire moment!! I will try and post it... this show was brilliant, the energy of the crowd and the peformance absolutely amazing!! I was going to film some on my phone but it was just to much fun enjoying the moment and music!! It was surreal when at the end EV gave me a tambourine!!! what a really great night!!! :)

• Wow, what a great night you all had! Very happy for all of you-I can't wait to get that boot!!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • show no 4, front row stage right
    i got to give mike a pound/fist pump when he came and mingled with crowd...woohoo
    love that guy!!
  • LD1077LD1077 Posts: 13
    8th PJ show for me, and one of the best I've seen, probably second only to the Newcastle show in '06. I was 4 rows back in front of Mike. Bloody Brilliant! Looking forward to a trifecta of EV concerts in a couple of weeks!
    PS I hope they release the bootlegs for the BDO shows, would love to get a box set!
  • Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    What a gig... 2h45mins at a festival. More than made up for cutting short last visit. Footsteps, In Hiding, Crown of Thorns / Chloe Dancer dropped in for the fans, with favourites to keep the non diehards happy.

This gig was an example of a perfect storm where the band, the crowd, the show being on a day where the next day was a public holiday, the weather and everything else all came together to make something special.

Both Sydney and Pearl Jam showed up for this gig. I would rank this 1 or 2 on my list.

Thanks to the Band for an awesome gig, and can't wait for the official boot.
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • This was the best of the six - after what I thought was a very edgy day in Sydney where I was expecting something to go off, it all relaxed once PJ came on. I thought that Gold Coast was as good as it would get after thinking that Auckland was super, but this on Australia Day was the best of the lot. The band understands the significance of things, and this was no exception.

Thanks PJ for a thrilling three weeks on the road. Thanks to Mudhoney too, I felt like I was 17 again in Gold Coast :-c
    London, Wembley Arena, Jun 18th 2007 London, O2 Arena, Aug 18th 2009 Eddie Vedder, Adelaide Thebarton Theatre, Mar 2011 Show 1&2 Auckland, Western Springs, Jan 17th 2014 Gold Coast, Metricon Stadium, Jan 19th 2014 Melbourne, Flemington Racecourse, Jan 24th 2014 Sydney Show Grounds, Jan 26th 2014 Adelaide, Bonython Park, Jan 31st 2014 Perth, Arena Joondalup, Feb 2nd 2014
  • Anyone know if they have stopped doing the bootlegs online? It seems to be taking a while if they haven't. Also, for some great footage of this show look up MetalMick74 on YouTube.
    Pearl Jam                                                         Eddie Vedder  
    Sydney - 11/3/1995                                           Sydney - 18/3/2011  
     Sydney - 9/3/1998                                            Sydney - 19/3/2011
     Sydney - 11/3/1998                                          Sydney - 13/2/2014
     Sydney - 12/3/1998
     Sydney - 11/2/2003
     Sydney - 13/2/2003
     Sydney - 14/2/2003
     Sydney - 7/11/2006
     Sydney - 8/11/2006
     Sydney - 18/11/2006
     Sydney - 22/11/2009
     Sydney - 26/1/2014

• I really cant find the words to describe how fantastic your show was at the Sydney BDO. I have to say I had my doubts about attending a festival to see you guys.. I couldn't have been more wrong!!!!!

Whenever myself and other PJ fans talk about seeing Pearl Jam live, we always reflect on what an amazing show we all witnessed back in 1995 at Eastern Creek Sydney.. hard to top the first time!! Well I have to say the Sydney BDO is absolutely right up there.. it was really something special. There absolutely was electricity in the air!!!

It is quite apparent that PJ are in a great emotional space.. this radiated through the crowd. It was such a joy to be a part of this. To find a place on the front railing right in front of MM..simply mesmerizing!! Thanks so much for gracing us with your presence and sharing your musical genius!! Sydney welcomes you all back anytime with open arms and ears Jx
  • willc431994willc431994 Posts: 201
    edited February 2014
    belinda27 said:

Brilliant show! with my Sister, Niece and Son Seb, it was the first Pearl Jam show for my niece and Seb, we were on the rail on Stones side...Seb was shaking when EV announced his hero MR was there and MR helped with the Setlist...He was in complete shock that EV pointed at his MR shirt during Even Flow and shortly after gave him a pick!!! It was the happiest I have ever seen Seb ever!!! His Pick had MR on one side and EV the other same as his shirt...He had tears in his eyes!! Everyone near him was so kind congratulating him!! Seb held that pick in his hand for the entire night so tight it made a mark!! My niece by pure chance filmed the entire moment!! I will try and post it... this show was brilliant, the energy of the crowd and the peformance absolutely amazing!! I was going to film some on my phone but it was just to much fun enjoying the moment and music!! It was surreal when at the end EV gave me a tambourine!!! what a really great night!!! :)

Hey nice one, Ed gave me a tambourine! I was off to the side during ritfw, Ed came running over and pointed at me and said "this is for you big man" and tossed it to me, awesome! Great feeling hey! Congrats...
    Post edited by willc431994 on
  • TashkTashk Posts: 24
    They Blew my mind!!!! I was in the mosh area, total awesomeness, I can't believe how active Eddie still is on stage, just awesome!!!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Can't wait for this boot. Most amazing show.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    pjfan31 said:

Can't wait for this boot. Most amazing show.

Me too, I'd love to hear the BDO boots soon
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)