Big Day Out
Sydney Showgrounds
Sydney AU
Jan. 26, 2014

01. Do The Evolution
02. Mind Your Manners
03. Animal
04. Hail Hail

(Ed wishes the audience “Happy ‘Straya Day’”. He checks on the audience. He says he feels like he “needs to do this” and gestures like a ref signaling a score in footy. He talks about going to see The Cosmic Psychos and Mudhoney and says, “I won’t lie to you. I have had a few beers but I promise I won’t be violent. This next one is for the missionaries who screwed things up when they came here.)

05. Getaway
06. Corduroy
07. Lightning Bolt

(Ed says the next song is a request by Mark Richards. Ed says it is unfortunate that they “couldn’t play Newcastle but it wasn’t a big enough city for a Big Day Out but we could have had small night in.”)

08. In Hiding

(dedicated to “a new little Aussie girl, she is just five or six days old. Her name is Evie.”)
09. Even Flow (during the solo Mike jams his headstock into his speaker cabinet)

(Ed talks about being careful about taking “candy from strangers” at places like festivals. “Not all drugs are good. This is a song about what could happen.”

10. Severed Hand

(Ed had heard about a fatal shooting in Sydney which is a fairly rare event. He says he knows that Australia took steps a while ago to help prevent shootings, “Don’t ever go back.”)

11. Sirens w/ sing along outro (mike has a fire extinguisher sign taped to his 12 string acoustic guitar)
12. State Of Love And Trust
13. Unthought Known
14. Insignificance

(Ed toasts the other bands that are playing Big Day Out. He hopes his daughter got to see “The Lumineers”. He introduces the next song as one about playing records over and over.)

15. Let The Records Play
16. Spin The Black Circle
17. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed says it is great to see equal numbers of men and women up front. That means it is safe. Ed says, “If I can quote your ambassador, poet laureate, ‘It’s a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.”...”It is a long way and this is from a long time ago.”)

18. Footsteps
19. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
20. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)

(Ed shows off the Australian flag can cozy that he has stretched over his wine bottle, “see? It works for wine too!” He talks about hearing the next song many years ago and didn’t know who it was by or anything about it but it sounded like a true story that happened and could be happening at any time. “If I was at a campfire on ‘Straya Day’ I imagine this song would get played.)
21. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
{Ed played “Throw Your Arms” solo. no band}
22. Betterman/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
{Ed switches guitar at outro-tuning or string break.}
23. Porch
(Mike breaks a globe with his headstock, Jeff dodges globes, Ed swings from his globe)

Encore Break 2

(“This was feeling like a show with a bunch of people, then it felt like big show, and now it feels like a bar show. And you know, bars close...Now we could play two more songs and leave, or....we don’t want to screw it up for any other bands, artists, dancers or whatever but you would think on ‘Strayla Day’ we could play a little longer so...” As Jeremy starts Ed says, “but ya gotta help me out”)

24. Jeremy
25. Black (during solo and outro the audience are singing and waving their arms back and forth causing Ed to say “wow!” and comment, “with that song we played before Andy would be all over this shit.”)
26. Alive
27. Kick Out The Jams w/ Mark Arm & Steve Turner of Mudhoney--(Davis, Kramer, Smith, Thompson, Tyner)
28. Rockin’ In The Free Wold-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)>-
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Lovely!!!thanks Kat!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Great crowd, great set, electric atmosphere...EPIC!
  • Options
    a man we will soon forgeta man we will soon forget Brisbane Australia Posts: 35
    Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns. Life now complete.
    Another man moved by sleight of hand.
  • Options
    I've been to quite a lot of Pearl Jam shows and it is hard not to place this show up there with the best I have ever attended. I really wish I could convey to people who were not there just how special a show this was. If there has ever been a better version of Betterman I would love to hear it. I have loved this band for a long time but tonight just took that to a completely new level.
    Thank you Pearl Jam and Thank you Sydney for such an amazing night.
  • Options
    Sooo jealous, what an amazing set, and you got In Hiding, I STILL haven't heard that live! Footsteps...Crown of Thorns...bloody hell! Can't wait for Perth next week.
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Good 'Australia Day' setlist :)
  • Options
    i was front row for this and lucky enough to get jeff ament pick (i guess these are fairly rare) and patted mike on the back.
    random thoughts-
    awesome setlist
    they fucking played footsteps and spin the black circle and chloe dancer/crown of thorns
    awesome crowd participation
    best version of betterman
    it was nice to see Eddie kiss and hug his kids during black
  • Options
    bec775bec775 Posts: 24
    Oh my.. you got Chloe Dancer.. lucky u! I was in melb fri nite's setlist .. wasn't at all dissapointed with what we got, but would have loved to get that! Awesome show in Melb regardless! Hope u Sydneysiders got a great show.. know u did tho cos pj always put on a fantastic gig!
  • Options
    oowww wish we got chloe dancer/crown of thorns tho!!! I'm happy that I got Given to Fly .. bawled in that! Regaarless of where they have played in OZ, at least PJ visited us!!!! Would have loved Release Me too but it's ok.. I walked away from fri nite melb set thoroughly happy! :) so now i already ask .. when,s pj's next gig in oz? And non doubt will ask same for the next 2-3 yrs! COME BACK guys, and not as part of a festival!
  • Options
    Tonight really didn't feel like a festival show at all.
  • Options
    unforgiven .. why? I loved my melb show, what happened with yours?
  • Options
    I missed Newcastle 2006 and have regretted it ever since but last night's mark richard's inspired setlist made up for it in spades. Ed looked disgusted with the crowd at the end of sirens but that just made him all the more stoked when we came alive for betterman. He got so into it that he forgot where he was to start the second verse!!!

STBC into RVM was phenomenal and the end of black was amazing with the kids on stage taking selfies with ed. In hiding, footsteps, Chloe dancer/crown of thorns, so many highlights. Ed didn't want to leave the stage, like when you have to get dragged away from the pub!

Can't wait for the opera house!
    Canberra 14-03-95 - Sydney 7-11-06 - Sydney 18-11-06 - Sydney 22-11-09 - Brisbane 25-11-09 - Sydney 26-01-14
    Ed: Canberra 15-03-11 - Sydney 19-03-11
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    edited January 2014
    Yesterday I was thinking that PJ are a great festival band - plenty of 'hits' and enough deep cuts to keep everyone happy. Today I realise that last night wasn't a festival - it was a 2hr 45min PJ set with about a dozen support bands!

So many highlights - Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns, In Hiding, Mark and Steve on Kick Out The Jams, Mike McFuckinCready on everything!

A couple of Ed-isms that I remember - at the start of Severed Hand: "this is about taking candy from strangers, at a festival. Remember, if you do smoke anything today please make sure it has been approved by Snoop Lion first!" Ed also fucked up the intro to Insignificance, then sang "all in all, it's all my fault", and I'm pretty sure he sang "colours on the street, yeah green and gold" in RITFW.

Also, Ed introduced Mike, Matt and Stone after Even Flow. The crowd then started chanting "Jeff, Jeff, Jeff" and Ed the toasted him with "I'll drink to that! He's the one that told Stone that was a good song. He said 'if I get the bass line we'll make it a great song!'" Plenty of love for Jeff last night.

Jeff copped one of the light globes smack in the side of the face during Porch. I thought Mike was going to smash one, he hit it so hard with his headstock.

I'm sure there will plenty more things that I remember later on but for now I'm still in that warm post-PJ show glow :)
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Awesome gig!! RVM was nuts. They just kept playing and playing and playing!!
    They crowd was awesome with the sing alongs and band loved it. Lots and smiling and head shaking in disbelief at the intensity of the whole crowd. Lots of tomfoolery from Ed as well.
    I'm usually with friends for PJ gigs but last night I was surrounded by Pearl Jam virgins and it was great watching them lose their shit when they heard their favourite songs for the first time live.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    edited January 2014
    I took some photos and video :) ...I'm just in the process of uploading them now, but here is a clip of Unthought Known. I think I was going to take a photo (portrait style) but ended up videoing instead, so please excuse the orientation of this clip!

I only bought my camera yesterday too, so I am still getting used to it. That wasn't me singing in the background either, I didn't sing when I was videoing, I spared you all ;) !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBwKJ_H7g4&feature=youtu.be
    Post edited by -Emma- on
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Damn that poster is awesome...I wonder if they will have an Australian box set?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    What an awesome way to spend Australia Day seeing Pearl Jam & Mudhoney play at the Sydney Big Day Out. Both amazing bands & brilliant show, come back soon! Thanks ten club for keeping us up to date.
  • Options
    Epic. Probably the best gig I've seen, despite being at BDO. Lots of bands could learn a thing or two from these guys. Mudhoney played a great set too.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I just uploaded this one too :)

Enjoy!

Intro & Footsteps
    http://youtu.be/9IC8jwmaRew
    Post edited by -Emma- on
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    goldrush said:

and I'm pretty sure he sang "colours on the street, yeah green and gold" in RITFW

yes true green and gold was sung.
    F***en amazing best night. Highlights Throw your arms around me - Eddie solo, Footsteps, Chloe/Crown, Black, SOLAT, getaway, Let records play/Spin the Black/Rvm. Actually every song was a highlight the whole band was in the best spirits they had so much fun and the audience was great so much energy without being pushed around I was about 12-15 rows from the front on Stone's side. Mark Richards did an awesome setlist. Thank you Mark.
    So glad I was there to share in this fantastic night. I was apprehensive about going to BDO but I had the best time at all the bands I saw, especially PJ.
    Thank you so much PJ and all the people at the BDO that made the event so memorable.

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Another highlight that I forgot to add was Betterman was the best crowd participation that I have seen.
  • Options
    Another upload :)
    Ed dancing during Porch:

http://youtu.be/i-XAe5X4Hjw

• Options
    The crowd energy was very high. Hopefully we did the band and that particular performance justice. Special mentions to Sirens and Better Man.

Sirens as a plea against the bullshit of shootings, or a compliment to the relative rarity of them in Australia.

Better Man. A lot of passion in Ed's vocal performance in this song, especially towards the end.

I don't want to dismiss what I think was Ed's intention back when the song was written but it seemed to take on new meaning for me last night. Especially at one moment but in general after hearing the song last night, I was inspired to be the best possible father I could be so my baby can have the opportunity to grow up idolising me. Definitely more than 'just' a band.

Several key moments in addition to the above. In Hiding was the perfect song at the perfect time. Spin the Black felt right in the moment and the crowd got right into it. Small Town - Ed inviting the crowd to lift. Jeremy - invited us to lift further to support what was about to become an amazing encore.

I could write a lot about yesterday. This gig was spectacular.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    This was not a festival show. This was a pearl jam show from the top shelf. Start of the set was good. Started to kick off with in hiding. Then from there was amazing.

Ed had tears in his eyes listening to the crowd in betterman. Saying 'we don't deserve it'

Then Ed wanted us to sing the usual part in elderly woman. Before he could ask the crowd were singing it over and over. Reminded me of a South American boot. The crowd just taking over.
    He said we were the loudest crowd on the tour.

Thank you pearl jam.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    bec775 said:

unforgiven .. why? I loved my melb show, what happened with yours?

It is really difficult to explain just how amazing this show was but I'll try. Granted I was very close to the stage, I have been closer though, but I've never felt more connected to the band. There was a perfect mix of hits and rarities that kept the crowd energy high. I have never seen the band enjoy a show more. That show surpassed any Pearl Jam only show I have ever been to. They played 2 hrs and 45 mins at a festival, which other band in the world would do that. This was not a festival show this was just a Pearl Jam show with about 20 other bands as support acts.

To think some people missed this show because they didn't want to see Pearl Jam at a Big Day Out, well Pearl Jam last night annihilated any reason they had for not going and I am sure they are regretting that this morning.

It's funny The Hives kept announcing that they were in the middle of "the best concert in the history of The Hives", well I hope they stuck around after their set because Pearl Jam put on one of the best concerts of all time.
  • Options
    pjfan31 said:

Then Ed wanted us to sing the usual part in elderly woman. Before he could ask the crowd were singing it over and over. Reminded me of a South American boot. The crowd just taking over.

I think this quote goes close to why last night was so amazing, the crowd took over this show, ripped the show straight from the hand of the band. The amount of times the crowd was just over powering the singing of Eddie, the amount of times the crowd was adding to a song The amount of times the crowd was making the song theirs was just unbelievable, even on rarer songs the crowd was just so powerful and the band felt it.
    Betterman, Small Town, Black, Jeremy all became the crowds songs and the version of betterman has to be heard to be believed.
  • Options
    mitch_nmitch_n Posts: 26
    It was quite a show put on last night. I don't know how to explain it, but it sure is up there with one of the best I have seen. It certainly makes up for Sydney in 2009! Due to putting my back out yesterday morning, I had to stay in the seated Like A Boss section which gave a pretty awesome view of what was going on. The crowd participation grew as the show went on, and the pure emotion on Ed's face throughout the show (even with the crowd not really playing ball with the sirens outro) showed how much he was enjoying it. Too many highlights to mention, though to hear In Hiding live for the first time was special.

I did like that Ed thanked all the bands that he could list, except Beady Eye, who were the single worst performance I saw all day.
  • Options
    mitch_n said:

It was quite a show put on last night. I don't know how to explain it, but it sure is up there with one of the best I have seen. It certainly makes up for Sydney in 2009! Due to putting my back out yesterday morning, I had to stay in the seated Like A Boss section which gave a pretty awesome view of what was going on. The crowd participation grew as the show went on, and the pure emotion on Ed's face throughout the show (even with the crowd not really playing ball with the sirens outro) showed how much he was enjoying it. Too many highlights to mention, though to hear In Hiding live for the first time was special.

I did like that Ed thanked all the bands that he could list, except Beady Eye, who were the single worst performance I saw all day.

There is something wrong with Liam Gallagher, to abuse people in the crowd the way he does at his shows, wow I couldn't believe it.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    I took note that Ed didn't thank Beady Eye in Melbourne either. I had a boot of the Adelaide 98 show and I remember Ed saying some derogatory things towards Oasis at the time. Personally I thought they sounded ok but their actual performance was very lacklustre. Compared to the Hives, Arcade Fire et al they were boring to watch.
    mitch_n said:

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Since I only have 3 days in Sydney & there's so much to see & do I decided to go to the BDO (really) late. I walked into the venue at 6:45pm and eventually made my way to the stage. As many of you might have seen from the photo I put on fakebook, there was a considerable crowd in front of PJ's stage. I have never ever been on Mike's side before so I decided to give it a go since this is my last BDO show. Somehow, without being a dick, I walked right up to the second row, immediately under the speakers just to the left of the stage. There was a huge pocket of space there, when I finally had to step directly in front of someone (due to crowding) I checked that it was ok (I'm really short - 5'2) and everyone was cool. When arcade fire finished the crowd built up behind me & some really cool people (and at least one not so cool person) filled in the gaps & when PJ took the stage everyone was rocking out & having a good time. People were looking out for each other & it was great. A few songs in two chicks in the front row left & gave their spaces to the (also short) girl next to me & myself. When ed commented about there being an equal number of males & females on the rail it was awesome cuz there was like a row of about 8 chicks on the rail around me. So not only was it my first time on Mike's side, but it's my first time on the rail as well, & I have to say, I get it. Mike's amazing. The set list was fantastic, the crowd of full of energy & the boys fed off it. Ed & Mark arm were funny with the "I don't have a watch, I can't tell what time it is" before they played kick out the jams 5 minutes passed curfew. You could really tell how much they were loving the crowd & how much they wanted to keep playing. CD/COT was fantastic & I loved how many people in the audience knew all the words. I've mentioned before that the Betterman/Save it for Later tag is probably my favorite live song - but holy mother fucking fuck!!!!! Tonight's version is one for the record books. I'm gonna need the boot to be certain but I'm fairly sure it's my new #1 favorite. I felt a little guilty for not knowing the "throw your arm around me" special Australia day song but the crowd was loving it. In hiding & footsteps were also highlights.

Cheers to Pearl Jam. Cheers to Sydney. Cheers to Australia. It's been real.

See you in Europe :-D

Edit: they crossed wishlist off the mother fucking fracking fuck!!!!!! Also, SOLAT was fucking awesome AND I was surrounded by people who loved LTRP FINALLY!!!!!!!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435