Options

*** Big Day Out - Sydney Fanviews Here 01/26/14 ***

Comments

• Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    edited January 2014
    Here are the last of my videos :)...

Clip from "Porch" with Eddie swinging from light (1)
    http://youtu.be/wqyxj7w9nT0

Short clip from "Porch" with Eddie swinging from light (2)
    http://youtu.be/ApDL66DNXKE

Ed with his daughters, during Black
    http://youtu.be/kWOwaBiAe_k
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Oh man! I am so happy that they played In Hiding, Footsteps, Black, Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns, Spin the Black Circle and Kick Out the Jams. I could go on. I loved the atmosphere. There were so many people singing every word and the people who were near the front were all PJ fans, no one was being an idiot. If Eddie wasn't playing solo shows next month, I would have terrible post-show blues right now.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Thanks for your videos Emma. We recorded Sirens on our phone but sounding isn't anywhere as good as yours.
    What a fantastic night. So lucky we were there.
  • Options
    willc431994willc431994 Australia Posts: 201
    I got a tambourine! Great show, too many highlights and they have already all been mentioned. Me and my girl started 5 rows back in front of Eddie, was easy to get the spot, just had to put up with beady eye, rubbish. Crowd was rough in our area, a lot of drunk bogans pushing their way to the front, so after sirens we bailed and moved to the side of stage and danced our asses for the rest of the night. Rockin in the free world played and Eddie came our side, pointed and said "this is for you big guy" and tossed me his tambourine, man I played the shit out of that thing for the rest of the song! Great way to finish a great gig! It doesn't get eddie vedder than that ;)
  • Options

I got a tambourine! Great show, too many highlights and they have already all been mentioned. Me and my girl started 5 rows back in front of Eddie, was easy to get the spot, just had to put up with beady eye, rubbish. Crowd was rough in our area, a lot of drunk bogans pushing their way to the front, so after sirens we bailed and moved to the side of stage and danced our asses for the rest of the night. Rockin in the free world played and Eddie came our side, pointed and said "this is for you big guy" and tossed me his tambourine, man I played the shit out of that thing for the rest of the song! Great way to finish a great gig! It doesn't get eddie vedder than that ;)

You must have been close to me at the start. there were a few bogans but all I had to do was look at them and they backed off from me a little.
  • Options

Thanks for your videos Emma. We recorded Sirens on our phone but sounding isn't anywhere as good as yours.
    What a fantastic night. So lucky we were there.

You're welcome! :)

Short clip of Corduroy
    http://youtu.be/-YydB-wpCus

PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

• Options
    This was the absolute best show I've ever seen! So impressed by the set list, energy, happiness, crowd, everything!!
    Can't believe they played Footsteps and Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns! Bloody amazing!
    S Matthews
  • Options

You must have been close to me at the start. there were a few bogans but all I had to do was look at them and they backed off from me a little.
    The audience was pretty good on Stone's side :).

There was one guy behind me who had his arms pressed into my back (I think he had his arms folded), probably in the hope that I would move, but I didn't and he soon moved to the side of me a couple of people over. A lady standing next to me tried to say something to me, (I think) about that guy, but I couldn't really hear what she was saying.

I had to endure listening to Beady Eye & Arcade Fire, so I certainly wasn't going to give away my spot!

• Options
    -Emma- said:

The audience was pretty good on Stone's side :).

There was one guy behind me who had his arms pressed into my back (I think he had his arms folded), probably in the hope that I would move, but I didn't and he soon moved to the side of me a couple of people over. A lady standing next to me tried to say something to me, (I think) about that guy, but I couldn't really hear what she was saying.

I had to endure listening to Beady Eye & Arcade Fire, so I certainly wasn't going to give away my spot!
    I'm 6 foot and about 110 kg with a beard so I never have too much trouble in the pit.
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    My tenth show and it truly is up there with Newcastle 06 and Melbourne 09. It was so fun! Ed was drunk and happy and on fire, as was the entire band! Simply brilliant! And 2hrs45mins!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    I wish had a crystal ball..as I would have gone to the Sydney show instead of the Gold Coast show. Ah well. :(
  • Options
    E.K said:

I wish had a crystal ball..as I would have gone to the Sydney show instead of the Gold Coast show. Ah well. :(

I went to both and the Gold Coast was a great show, I really enjoyed that show as well, at least you were not one of the people who decided not to go at all and missed some of the better Pearl Jam shows that I can remember.
  • Options
    Here are the photos I took :)

Eddie, watching Mudhoney

Cropped version of next photo:

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700

E.K said:

I went to both and the Gold Coast was a great show, I really enjoyed that show as well, at least you were not one of the people who decided not to go at all and missed some of the better Pearl Jam shows that I can remember.
    It would have been great to go to both but I had to choose and Gold Coast is a lot closer to where I live. I feel sorry for the people who are missing out this time around ... this band is on fire! :)
  • Options
    Got around a bunch of ten clubbers which made the gig better. Finally got to hear Jeremy live and couldn't believe betterman. Can't wait for the boot
    newey 06 best show ever, sydney bdo 2014 close second
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just out of interest, I thought I'd look up how many times the songs from last night had been played :)...

432 - DO THE EVOLUTION
    31 - MIND YOUR MANNERS
    360 - ANIMAL
    228 - HAIL HAIL
    8 - GETAWAY
    478 - CORDUROY
    30 - LIGHTING BOLT
    81 - IN HIDING
    736 - EVEN FLOW
    128 - SEVERED HAND
    29 - SIRENS
    342 - .SOLAT
    99 - UNTHOUGHT KNOWN
    169 - INSIGNIFICANCE
    13 - LET THE RECORDS PLAY
    150 - SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE
    394 - REARVIEWMIRROR
    92 - FOOTSTEPS
    384 - SMALL TOWN
    10 - CHLOE DANCER/CROWN OF THORNS
    18 - THROW YOUR ARMS AROUND ME
    445 - BETTER MAN
    479 - PORCH
    466 - JEREMY
    496 - BLACK
    661 - .ALIVE
    24 - KICK OUT THE JAMS
    257 - KEEP ON ROCKIN

• Options
    -Emma- said:

Just out of interest, I thought I'd look up how many times the songs from last night had been played :)...

432 - DO THE EVOLUTION
    31 - MIND YOUR MANNERS
    360 - ANIMAL
    228 - HAIL HAIL
    8 - GETAWAY
    478 - CORDUROY
    30 - LIGHTING BOLT
    81 - IN HIDING
    736 - EVEN FLOW
    128 - SEVERED HAND
    29 - SIRENS
    342 - .SOLAT
    99 - UNTHOUGHT KNOWN
    169 - INSIGNIFICANCE
    13 - LET THE RECORDS PLAY
    150 - SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE
    394 - REARVIEWMIRROR
    92 - FOOTSTEPS
    384 - SMALL TOWN
    10 - CHLOE DANCER/CROWN OF THORNS
    18 - THROW YOUR ARMS AROUND ME
    445 - BETTER MAN
    479 - PORCH
    466 - JEREMY
    496 - BLACK
    661 - .ALIVE
    24 - KICK OUT THE JAMS
    257 - KEEP ON ROCKIN

it is a good mix of new/old and hits/rareties for sure
  • Options
    I went last night, and what struck me then, was that of the 28 songs played, 5 were off ten. If you throw in SOLAT, Foosteps, Chloe Dancer/ Crown of Thorns, and Betterman (some argument for this), 9 out of 28 from Ten or pre ten era, i.e. nearly a third of the set!

This was a rocking show. What struck me of the first set was there was very little slow stuff except for maybe sirens. I felt the show really lit up when Animal kicked off. This was my 11th PJ show, and like some others have commented, Ive never seen Ed in particular having so much fun, you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. I think he struggled to keep his voice at times, but the crowd helped him along.

Of the 11 shows I've seen I'd definitely say top 3. This shows was a lot of fun and had great crowd involvement. I have it up there with Newcastle 06 and Sydney 95, and they are all there for different reasons.

There was a down side. My wife and I stood at the front of the second section on the barrier I was wearing the Russell Wilson Seahawks jersey if anyone was around there. There were some nice people with us, not sure if they were 10C, but just prior to the start of the pearl jam set some filthy drunk prick came up behind me and pissed on me! He literally pissed on my leg in the middle of the crowd! I'm still fuming about it. He partially got the lady next to me too. I had a bit or argy bargy with him but restrained myself from throwing him over the barrier because I didn't want to get kicked out and miss the show. He came back at us later in the show too and I gave him a solid shove which nearly bowled the poor girl over that was standing behind him (apologies again to you if you are reading). Still I managed to enjoy the show and rank it as one of the best I've been able to attend despite this incident.

Looking forward to EV at the two Sydney State Theatre shows, just a shame I missed out on the Opera House which is the one I really wanted to take my wife to. Would have more than made up for the urine shower.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments thanks.

Luke

Sydney 2 Aust. 1995
    Sydney 1 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 2 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 3 Aust. 1998
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 3 Aust. 2003
    Sydney 1 Aust. 2006
    Sydney 2 Aust. 2006
    Newcastle Aust. 2006
  • Options
    JoeyJoJo, I can't believe some guy pissed on you, that is beyond revolting! I wish security had thrown him out for you.

• Options
    JoeyJoJo said:

I went last night, and what struck me then, was that of the 28 songs played, 5 were off ten. If you throw in SOLAT, Foosteps, Chloe Dancer/ Crown of Thorns, and Betterman (some argument for this), 9 out of 28 from Ten or pre ten era, i.e. nearly a third of the set!

This was a rocking show. What struck me of the first set was there was very little slow stuff except for maybe sirens. I felt the show really lit up when Animal kicked off. This was my 11th PJ show, and like some others have commented, Ive never seen Ed in particular having so much fun, you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. I think he struggled to keep his voice at times, but the crowd helped him along.

Of the 11 shows I've seen I'd definitely say top 3. This shows was a lot of fun and had great crowd involvement. I have it up there with Newcastle 06 and Sydney 95, and they are all there for different reasons.

There was a down side. My wife and I stood at the front of the second section on the barrier I was wearing the Russell Wilson Seahawks jersey if anyone was around there. There were some nice people with us, not sure if they were 10C, but just prior to the start of the pearl jam set some filthy drunk prick came up behind me and pissed on me! He literally pissed on my leg in the middle of the crowd! I'm still fuming about it. He partially got the lady next to me too. I had a bit or argy bargy with him but restrained myself from throwing him over the barrier because I didn't want to get kicked out and miss the show. He came back at us later in the show too and I gave him a solid shove which nearly bowled the poor girl over that was standing behind him (apologies again to you if you are reading). Still I managed to enjoy the show and rank it as one of the best I've been able to attend despite this incident.

Looking forward to EV at the two Sydney State Theatre shows, just a shame I missed out on the Opera House which is the one I really wanted to take my wife to. Would have more than made up for the urine shower.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments thanks.

That happened to me in Auckland on the 09 tour, I guy pissed in a cup and then dropped it on the ground with the contents then splashing up all over the back of my leg, when I turned around and confronted him about it he asked me what I would do in his situation as he didn't want to lose his spot. I told him I would ensure I didn't drink so much alcohol that I couldn't control my bladder. I was royally livid as well. I was pleased when the show started and he started being a knob pushing people and was standing just out the reach of the security guys. How happy was I when the security asked me to grab him and I got a chance to throw that deadbeat out of the pit.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    I've slowly started to upload the videos I took last night

Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns

http://youtu.be/2dSQi35PHZ0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The Even Flow solo! Mike started with his strat behind his head as he sometimes does. It would have been a good view from side of stage. He went out to the front of the stage and turned around so everyone else could see the magic. It was after that that he stabbed his headstock through the Marshall stack. Yeah!

As Matt was changing to that beat to lead into Stone's riff, he went into a solo. Matt, that is. The rest of the band were in sync with him and quickly stepped away to emphasise this amazing thing. I'm pretty sure it was all improvised. Even the lighting guys were all over it (well done to them). His solo was shorter than those he played in circa 2006 and I thought this was a brilliant transition from Mike's solo to the Stone's riff.

I've been thinking about this show all day.
  • Options
    AM248877 said:

I've been thinking about this show all day.

Me too, like no other show I have ever attended.
  • Options
    Throw Your Arms Around Me

http://youtu.be/XR7tQRg9gdY

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    -Emma- said:

This is a great shot Emma!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    This one has so many possibilities!

cheers
    -Emma- said:

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Can someone explain the significance of the throw your arm around me song to an ignorant American? Please?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Can someone explain the significance of the throw your arm around me song to an ignorant American? Please?

It's just a great Australian song, and one that Ed has sung at PJ shows over the years. It's always voted near the top whenever there's a "Greatest Australian Songs..." poll and, as yesterday was Australia Day, Ed must have felt it was a good time to play it.

Ed sings a great version of it with Neil Finn from Crowded House on a Hunters & Collectors tribute album that came out last year

(Tim Rogers)