Options

*** Big Day Out - Auckland Fanviews Here 01/17/14 ***

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    doom_pony said:

big day out itself was horrible and badly organised in my unsurprised opinion. they didn't warn people that you couldn't take bags into the main area and they didn't offer an alternative. so thousands of people in the hot hot sun without the things they'd brought along to keep themselves happy and safe. and you couldn't get to the PJ side of the surrounding area without being over 18 with an age verification tag. which they didn't ID you for anyway.

Yikes. No bags at all, or were small purses ok?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Suziemay said:

doom_pony said:

big day out itself was horrible and badly organised in my unsurprised opinion. they didn't warn people that you couldn't take bags into the main area and they didn't offer an alternative. so thousands of people in the hot hot sun without the things they'd brought along to keep themselves happy and safe. and you couldn't get to the PJ side of the surrounding area without being over 18 with an age verification tag. which they didn't ID you for anyway.

Small purses were ok were as were plastic bags. We took one plastic bag in with our merch & one with our food & that was fine.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    yeah purses that were so teeny you couldn't take much more than a wallet and cell phone. I was lucky in that my friend wasn't coming into the D so I left my stuff with her. If she hadn't I would have been fucked. As it was I had everything I needed wrapped around my wrist or attached to my camera strap.

I dunno what their reasoning was. Pretty dangerous if you ask me. Drunks without their ID. Pastey people without sunscreen. Tut tut Big Day Out.

• Options
    PKNZPKNZ Posts: 76
    Yea I didn't get into the D area due to my bag. Ended up with a pretty good spot on the rail outside the to the right hand side of the stage (near the dancing guy). Noticed quite a few people with in the D area with bags, at least one was similar size to mine.

Enjoyed the set, would've love it to have been longer, but it had to end at some point.
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    After being in
    doom_pony said:

yeah purses that were so teeny you couldn't take much more than a wallet and cell phone. I was lucky in that my friend wasn't coming into the D so I left my stuff with her. If she hadn't I would have been fucked. As it was I had everything I needed wrapped around my wrist or attached to my camera strap.

I dunno what their reasoning was. Pretty dangerous if you ask me. Drunks without their ID. Pastey people without sunscreen. Tut tut Big Day Out.

I was a little annoyed in NZ that bags weren't allowed in D, just mainly because I didn't know until I got there, otherwise I would have planned accordingly. We bagchecked our bags and all was good.

After Gold Coast BDO, I realise the reason, I was jammed into the pit with a over the shoulder bagged person who had gotten through security with their bag for some reason and said bag was in my lower back all night as the person jumped up and down.

I know pits can be rough, this wasn't my problem. It was just inconsiderate to my kidneys for 2+ hrs.

I get why no big bags are allowed it. More info prior would have been the better thing.

Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Suziemay said:

doom_pony said:

Get like a money belt or a bum bag or something similar if need be.

I just used my jacket with has zippered pockets to hold my stuff and rolled it up and tied it around my waist.
    Worked well.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    topaztopaz Posts: 301
    What an epic day and night! I fell in love with the hives. Then I shook eds hand. Then I got Mike's Baba O'Reilly pic, Mike you bloody face melter. Life is good. What a setlist - I knew knew knew they were going to play Go. And hoped hoped hoped they would play footsteps, thank you kind Mr who had me up on his shoulders for that one. Now I've got that little bit sad feeling and that little bit should-hop-on-a-plane-to-aussie-bdo's feeling...
  • Options
    Was absolutely amazing as always! The highlight for me was running into Mike in Queen Street as he was going into Real Groovy on Friday. We had a nice wee chat - what a lovely lovely guy he is. He was worried that people were annoyed that they were only playing the BDO & not doing individual shows. I said that no, I am sure they weren't - people are happy to go to them where-ever they play! Anyway he said they would do shows at the different cities next time. So that's good - sounds like they are planning on coming back!! What an amazing experience it was to meet him & such a lovely guy to take the time out to talk to me (even though I was shaking uncontrollably & could hardly speak anyway lol!!)
    "There's no wrong or right but I'm sure there's good & bad"
  • Options
    ^^ Nice riotactress. :) Lucky you. Let's hope they do come back for non festival shows soon!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options

. He was worried that people were annoyed that they were only playing the BDO & not doing individual shows. I said that no, I am sure they weren't - people are happy to go to them where-ever they play! Anyway he said they would do shows at the different cities next time. So that's good - sounds like they are planning on coming back!! lol!!)

I met him at Real Groovy too and he was asking if we thought the setlist was ok, said they had trouble trying to shorten it. He also said something that indicated they might come back here sooner rather than later.
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    Hurray! I was annoyed about the festival. Yeah I'm happy as fuck I got to see them, but when we were actually at the BDO my friend was in a bad way from the atmosphere and I got really angry.. like.. i can't believe i have to be here in order to see them.. this sucks! If I never have to go to another BDO I will be happy! It felt decidely un-Pearl Jam concerty until they walked on the stage.

Still. Had a great time once they came on so I'll forgive them.

Hopefully the "different cities" includes Wellington next time! WELLINGTON 2015!!!!!!!!!! Because today we found out that QOTSA are FINALLY admitting they can't keep away and will be playing Wellington in March.

YAY!
  • Options
    PrimalPrimal Posts: 41
    Just read about the Wellington QOTSA gig. Couldn't justify travelling for that, but now I'll definately be going.

As for BDO - Hives, Could the lead singer be any more desperate to be liked? Music was alright, but I just wished he'd shut up. Beady Eye - I don't think I've seen a aband with less carisma than that group - plus Liam's such a giant tool.
    Arcade Fire - these guys were a lot of fun. Didn't have a great view of the stage as I was center stage for PJ
    Pearl Jam - Doesn't get any better than this. Once again proved why they're my favourite live act. Shame they came on late and we got a cut-down set, but what we did get was amazing. Crowd surges weren't great either - my fiance was getting a bit freaked out, but toughed it out the entire set - also people getting up on others shoulders - way to piss off those behind you. And the one douche who thought he was seeing 90's PJ and decided it'd be a good idea to start moshing and charging into people
  • Options
    Hey! Nice to meet you at father Ted's and see that you had a good spot for the show.
  • Options
    PrimalPrimal Posts: 41
    Yeah - it was good getting to be able to put faces to people around these parts! Sounds like you had an awesome time - which is great to hear. Seriously jealous about getting some of Mike's picks. Was tempted to try and get closer for the chance of getting one, but by that stage I was having enough trouble staying upright with all the crowd surges.

Hope you weren't too wasted after the drive home the next day.
  • Options
    Primal said:

Hives, Could the lead singer be any more desperate to be liked? Music was alright, but I just wished he'd shut up.

OMG exactly!

<hr>
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    It was a shame they didn't go over curfew but I guess I understand why. You could tell looking at the setlist with the songs crossed out that they had intended on playing well past 10. But they definitely learned the lesson cuz they didn't waste a minute before they started playing in GC.
    I really like the delay, habit with Liam was fun. I out a video on YouTube but I can't figure out how to get the regular link from the app on my phone to post here, so I put it on the Facebook members group thing.
    The crowd yup front on stone's side was cool. It was nice to see the excitement on some younger fans face when daughter started to play. And despite the lack of cell reception we still managed to find each other so that was quite nice.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    If anyone has video of Footsetps please let me know, it was my request and I'd love to have any video footage of that magic moment!
    I hope the comment from Mike about being back sooner ratehr than later is true, who knows, I still remember ED saying they'd be back in a year or two in Christchurch! Seated shows in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, now that would be sweet!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

If anyone has video of Footsetps please let me know, it was my request and I'd love to have any video footage of that magic moment!

Hey you should post on the FB group as well, ask if people have footage of Footsteps.

+ yeah, ditto about hope they come back soon although seated shows? Really? No way!!! B-)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
  • Options
    distantstar800distantstar800 Wellington Posts: 7
    My fingers and toes are crossed that they come back sooner too! Does anyone know if you can still buy the poster somewhere?
    PJ - Auckland NZ 27.11.10, EV - Sydney 18.3.11 & 20.3.11
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

You could tell looking at the setlist with the songs crossed out that they had intended on playing well past 10.

Ident42 Where did you see the setlist?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ldent42 said:

You could tell looking at the setlist with the songs crossed out that they had intended on playing well past 10.

Ident42 Where did you see the setlist?

photo 1711437PJsetlist.jpg
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
  • Options
    Oh wow - awesome!!
  • Options

My fingers and toes are crossed that they come back sooner too! Does anyone know if you can still buy the poster somewhere?

this site usually sells them but bazzer was saying the artist is selling some signed copies from his website. dunno the details though. mine was sent to the framers today.

on some copies the set list has footsteps scribbled up top. mine is that version with sleeping by myself and got some crossed out.
  • Options
    now that QOTSA have announced a delayed Wellington show I have faith that not all bands will bypass us. So here's to Wellington 2015! *clink*
  • Options
    fanofedfanofed Mid North Coast Posts: 77
    Cool "Banner" doom_pony and great video! what a spot you had.
  • Options
    distantstar800distantstar800 Wellington Posts: 7
    Thanks doompony. Wasnt sure if the BDO posters would be sold here, will keep an eye out for it, will check the artists site to : )
    PJ - Auckland NZ 27.11.10, EV - Sydney 18.3.11 & 20.3.11
  • Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 484
    edited January 2014
    Lets see if this works...

Bottle sent to my nanny..I hope it doesn't go missing!
    Post edited by Enzed on
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Options
    I love that footage of Footsteps has surfaced:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyEmrM7Z5I
    Yay bm12music whoever you are. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Enzed said:

Is your nanny giving it you???
  • Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 484

Enzed said:

Is your nanny giving it you???
    No, she just brought it round to show me.

Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014