Options

*** Big Day Out - Auckland Fanviews Here 01/17/14 ***

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to Melbourne BDO and haven't been to a festival to really only see one band before. How hard was it to get a decent position for the gig ? Like, get to the grounds at 6am, line up and run to the stage kind of hard?

Did the crowd there have a good vibe?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited January 2014
    doom_pony said:

big day out itself was horrible and badly organised in my unsurprised opinion. they didn't warn people that you couldn't take bags into the main area and they didn't offer an alternative. so thousands of people in the hot hot sun without the things they'd brought along to keep themselves happy and safe. and you couldn't get to the PJ side of the surrounding area without being over 18 with an age verification tag. which they didn't ID you for anyway.

Really? That's so weird. I saw people hanging their bags up and stuff but I walked right in with my purse on and no ID tag and no one said a word to me. Must be cuz I'm so intimidating. ;-)
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210

I would like to thank whoever requested Footsteps. You are my hero.

That was me, happy to be a hero, just for one day :-) It was an amazing moment and then for Eddie to give me his harmonia, unreal!!
    :D
    =D> Yay mate!! :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

doom_pony said:

big day out itself was horrible and badly organised in my unsurprised opinion. they didn't warn people that you couldn't take bags into the main area and they didn't offer an alternative. so thousands of people in the hot hot sun without the things they'd brought along to keep themselves happy and safe. and you couldn't get to the PJ side of the surrounding area without being over 18 with an age verification tag. which they didn't ID you for anyway.

Really? That's so weird. I saw people hanging their bags up and stuff but I walked right in with my purse on and no ID tag and no one said a word to me. Must be cuz I'm so intimidating. ;-)
    you are pretty imposing with your innocent wide eyed look and height.
  • Options

I'm going to Melbourne BDO and haven't been to a festival to really only see one band before. How hard was it to get a decent position for the gig ? Like, get to the grounds at 6am, line up and run to the stage kind of hard?

Did the crowd there have a good vibe?

I got front row (by luck.. the crush forced me from 2nd row to front.. not that I'm complaining) and I went up to the front during Primus (at the end of it). Probably would pay to get there earlier than that as NZers are notorious for being casual. In fact, the people at the front looked to have been largely Australian from what I could tell.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Anyway, now that I've had a day to compose myself...

The only band to have a delay coming on stage - it was a really weird way to start. Normally with BDO the acts start a minute after the band on the opposite stage finishes, but we were standing there confused for 15 minutes!

The setlist was unreal. I say this as someone who has now seen 3 shows - for me, seeing Release, Go, Habit, SOLAT, Nothingman, Save You, Baba and Footsteps was like a dream. Nothingman made me tear up. Footsteps was gorgeous. That version of Black we got was amazing (and unlike last time I was fully present and not screaming inside my own head). To finally hear Release live after almost 20 years of loving this band was amazing.

Liam Finn was a welcome addition to the stage - a shame Neil couldn't be coaxed out despite Mike's best efforts.

The highlight for me was relating to the dorky banner I took in - because.. it seemed like the right thing to do.

Mike asked for it quite early on and there was some hand gesturing between us to determine when he would take it. After a while he got my attention again and made a "I'm going to sign something for you" motion. Well! He also let me know what I looked like singing along by pointing to me and then mimicking me, eyes closed, head wobbling, pretending to sing along in blissful joyousness.

At the end of the show he came back on stage with his setlist with a little note on it for me and sent it down to me in exchange for the banner. Thankfully the guy behind me told me that the setlist had McCready picks stuck to it or I might have lost them. He was rewarded with a pick that security had given me. Then I had a spare which I gave to the son of the woman who agreed to hold up the banner for me when I thought I was going to be stuck in the second row all night. Thanks to the nice people around for making the experience fun. You're all good eggs.

Once again, Mike McCready made the experience. I didn't think he could get any cooler than he was in 2009 in Auckland, but I can't thank him enough for all the interactions and my little surprise gift at the end. I even had a kiss or two blown to me.

My photos are on flickr - or Facebook if you know who I am.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpony/sets/72157639890008384/

Still waiting for Youtube to upload some videos................i'll post em when they're done :)
    Post edited by doompony on
  • Options

Nice pics, esp love the smiling Jeff pic... awww & great story, sounds like you had a blast

1995 • 2006 • 2009 • Adelaide
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
    2010 • Madison Square Garden
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd7nn01GX3I&amp;feature=youtu.be

this is a really bad video.. i was trying to just hold the camera to film it without actually watching it through the camera.. hence the heads being cut off and the jerky movements. but .. it's not as bad as the habit video.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    doom_pony, that is a great video! :)
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I loved it, doom_pony! Thanks for putting it up!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    wozza77wozza77 Posts: 274
    Black... what an amazing caring band we have in PJ. They are so compassionate and in touch with their audience. best band in the world.
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Options
    Habit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8D6fPIGiU&amp;feature=youtu.be

Stick with it. The jumping does stop. Unfortunately the singing from me and the guy behind me doesn't. But I'm sure we'll get a bootleg right?
  • Options
    And I filmed swinging lightbulb time. Wish I'd filmed Mike kungfu fighting his lightbulb because that was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuBgKYyyx8&amp;feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    pjamphilpjamphil Toms River Posts: 18
    Gotta love the go/ corduroy combo. Got the pleasure of seeing that in made in America. Great Set list wish I was there
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Thoughts and observations on Pearl Jam, Big Day Out 2014.

I must say I was really excited to see the Jammers again for the first time since 2009, in fact the whole day at the BDO was pretty damn great. saw a few cool bands leading up to PJ's headlining set, NZ's 'the Naked And Famous' were good, a very polished live act. A mate and I waited in a que for beers for about an hour while Primus played the Main Stage, we waited so long for the drinks that we missed the start of 'The Hives'. Have seen these guys last time they played the BDO back in '05, so didn't want to miss them as I knew they were awesome live. Made it down to the main arena area for the majority of their set and it was brilliant. That band know how to rock out and the front man, Pelle is very funny! Telling the crowd they were the best looking bunch of Hobbit's he'd ever seen, and when some huge bouncing balls with the MTV logo on them were bouncing on the crowd he said - "This set is sponsored by MTV!", very tongue in cheek. Their whole set was very enjoyable.

Next we went to another stage over the hill to see Mudhoney. First time seeing these legends live, and wow they didn't disappoint, some very brutal rock riffing from these guys. I didn't know most of the songs they played, but liked every song, good to see a band keeping pure, punk rock alive, plus they played the stupendous 'Touch Me I'm Sick', fantastic! Then it was back tot the main stage to see Arcade Fire, I was really looking forward to seeing these guy's as I have a few of their albums and 'Funeral' is a bonafide classic. Ten people on stage is impressive and the fact a few of them swapped instruments means they a real muso's with immense talent. The tracks they played off the new album were mostly great, a couple were kinda dull though. But, really great to hear 'Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)', 'Rebellion (Lies)' and 'Wake Up' live, superb!

Then it was time for the main event, the legends themselves....Pearl Jam! The crowd was huge for their set, I'm sure a lot of people were off seeing other acts, Snoop Dogg, Deftones etc, but it seemed the vast majority were here to see PJ do their thing. They opened with 'Release' and it was obvious from the start Eddie's voice is still a massive asset to this band, he showed his voice's real power straight away. They then hit us with some of their best tracks, 'Go' then 'Corduroy' which was huge, followed by 'Lightning Bolt', a song that could easily become a new classic. I was very happy to hear 'Brain of J' live, such a cool song! Then followed by a primo version of "Even Flow', sounding better live than ever before! I'm not a fan of 'Sirens', so that kind of bored me, though the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

'Let The Records Play' and 'Imfalliible' followed next, two very good songs off their latest album. The crowd around me seemed to get a little restless during 'Imfallible', but I thought it was great, maybe because it's mid-tempo it didn't grab the audience. 'Unthought Unknown' was really good too and then nice to see a rather over looked song with 'Save You' appear in the set. The next number was the highlight for me, 'Habit' the fast, in-you-face song off 'No Code' was a real winner, plus having Liam Finn arrive to sing it was very cool. He reminded me off his uncle Tim with his manic energy circa 1979 as he ripped into this punk-rock gem. 'Betterman' was ok, lots of people around me getting into it, singing away, though it's never been a fave of mine so I went to get some more drinks.

After the short encore they played 'Footsteps' which was pretty rad, then 'Small Town' and one song I really can't stand 'Nothingman' yawn! "Daughter' came next and that lifted things up again for me, this sounded amazing live and when they went into that breakdown part, wow, this was when Pearl jam really showed their true class, sounded effortless and probably was for them, brilliant! Then 'Why Go' was played and that rocked hard too, such awesome energy to this one, boom! The final song 'Baba O'Reilly was treat too, Pearl Jam making the riff their own as Eddie swung from some dangling lights out over the front of the crowd, cool! All in all Pearl Jam brought it, can't wait until next time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Observations on the band members:

Mike - That guy is incredible, the way he put's his head back as he unleashes one of his solo's, it's like he is being hit by lightning as he just stands and delivers. A true genius!

Jeff - Rocking a very large greying goatee and a cool 'The Cult' t-shirt, you could tell he was enjoying every moment up there.

Matt - Mr Reliable, does this guy ever make a mistake, like ever?! So solid at the back.

Eddie - That was some bottle of red he brought on stage, never seen a bottle of wine so large! I think he drank t all too, good effort! Great story telling too, the one about when he got saved at a beach here back in 95' was awesome, you can tell the man love's NZ.

Stone - Seems like a very laid back dude, smiles a lot on stage and just cruises around strumming away happy as Larry. :)
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Some vid I took of Pearl Jam at the BDO 2014. Sorry, not great quality or long vid's, only done on a shitty iPhone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_QRlY-VlE&amp;feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5devKHFAY
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    doom_pony said:

Habit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8D6fPIGiU&amp;feature=youtu.be

Stick with it. The jumping does stop. Unfortunately the singing from me and the guy behind me doesn't. But I'm sure we'll get a bootleg right?

Liam always makes me smile, such a crazy F**k ;-))
    1995 • 2006 • 2009 • Adelaide
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
    2010 • Madison Square Garden
  • Options
    my first show, my life has changed I'm still buzzing.....I'm spinning
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210

my first show, my life has changed I'm still buzzing.....I'm spinning

Haha. Many of us can say that I'm sure & yep, I bet your life has now changed for sure! I know mine did after 27/11/09!

<hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    reesdog said:

Some vid I took of Pearl Jam at the BDO 2014. Sorry, not great quality or long vid's, only done on a shitty iPhone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_QRlY-VlE&amp;feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5devKHFAY

ha you captured mike beating up his lightbulb. the look on his face was hilarious.

• Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    Good setlist!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    That was the best night of my life ohmygod. Just got back to Kaitaia after an epic few days. So happy, still can't stop smiling.
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    donnamareedonnamaree Nelson NZ Posts: 12
    edited January 2014
    doom_pony hi I was the women in the front who held you Banner thank you so much for giving my son the pick he was stoked :) I was gutted I had to get pulled out but the crushing was so bad I couldnt breath. so happy you got to go up the front and got something for your awesome banner. hope to see you again at the next NZ concert :)
    doom_pony said:

Anyway, now that I've had a day to compose myself...

The only band to have a delay coming on stage - it was a really weird way to start. Normally with BDO the acts start a minute after the band on the opposite stage finishes, but we were standing there confused for 15 minutes!

The setlist was unreal. I say this as someone who has now seen 3 shows - for me, seeing Release, Go, Habit, SOLAT, Nothingman, Save You, Baba and Footsteps was like a dream. Nothingman made me tear up. Footsteps was gorgeous. That version of Black we got was amazing (and unlike last time I was fully present and not screaming inside my own head). To finally hear Release live after almost 20 years of loving this band was amazing.

Liam Finn was a welcome addition to the stage - a shame Neil couldn't be coaxed out despite Mike's best efforts.

The highlight for me was relating to the dorky banner I took in - because.. it seemed like the right thing to do.

Mike asked for it quite early on and there was some hand gesturing between us to determine when he would take it. After a while he got my attention again and made a "I'm going to sign something for you" motion. Well! He also let me know what I looked like singing along by pointing to me and then mimicking me, eyes closed, head wobbling, pretending to sing along in blissful joyousness.

At the end of the show he came back on stage with his setlist with a little note on it for me and sent it down to me in exchange for the banner. Thankfully the guy behind me told me that the setlist had McCready picks stuck to it or I might have lost them. He was rewarded with a pick that security had given me. Then I had a spare which I gave to the son of the woman who agreed to hold up the banner for me when I thought I was going to be stuck in the second row all night. Thanks to the nice people around for making the experience fun. You're all good eggs.

Once again, Mike McCready made the experience. I didn't think he could get any cooler than he was in 2009 in Auckland, but I can't thank him enough for all the interactions and my little surprise gift at the end. I even had a kiss or two blown to me.

My photos are on flickr - or Facebook if you know who I am.

Still waiting for Youtube to upload some videos................i'll post em when they're done :)

Post edited by donnamaree on
    Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...
    Breathing hard,... Making hay,... Yeh this is living,...
  • Options
    Oh hi! Thanks so much for getting the banner up for me. Sucked that you guys all had to get out but your son was an excellent rail buddy. Glad I could give him a pick.
  • Options
    doom_pony said:

Oh hi! Thanks so much for getting the banner up for me. Sucked that you guys all had to get out but your son was an excellent rail buddy. Glad I could give him a pick.

Hey Doom Pony, nice work with the banner and Mike! and awesome photos! I don't suppose you videoed Footsteps? That was my request and I would seriously love to get video of the song!
  • Options
    donnamareedonnamaree Nelson NZ Posts: 12
    edited January 2014
    doom_pony said:

Yeah It sucked waited for 10 hours to get that spot but on the good side my son is now as addicted to PJ concerts as I am and I still got to enjoy the show from the side and I got to meet awesome 10C members.
    Feel the path of every day,... Which road you taking?,...
    Breathing hard,... Making hay,... Yeh this is living,...
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    morello said:

There weer the stickers & koozies(? I think that's what you clal them. Beer can holder things)

Stubbie Holders... :)
  • Options

doom_pony said:

Hey Doom Pony, nice work with the banner and Mike! and awesome photos! I don't suppose you videoed Footsteps? That was my request and I would seriously love to get video of the song!
    Nah I didn't sorry. Was too busy swooning.
  • Options
    axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 234

Kat said:

13. Black (as song starts Ed says, “this is for your friend, the one who was here last time but couldn’t be here this time.” This likely refers to a request in the band forums. Ed’s improv in the “we belong together section” mentions being together 4 years ago and still belonging together)
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228705/does-anyone-in-here-know-any-possible-way-to-contact-the-band-and-or-the-bands-mgmt-more-inside

=D> =D> =D>
    +1

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles