Options

Permit to hunt endangered African black rhino sells for $350,000

Comments

• Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Is it less disgusting to remove the beast and put him in a zoo? Surely it'll generate money from visitors. (I personally dont like the idea of caging animals)

The notion of killing an endangered animal to protect them overall is perverse. Its just wrong.
    -
    Once again, we as human beings are resorting to what we know and do best, killing in the name of protection and in this case so called animal conservation.

Surely we can think of better ways to generate funds for them, rather than just resort to killing. Surely??

This is one of 5 that will be 'legally' destroyed, its sad and wrong.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Humans suck plain and simple. To get joy out of shooting a defenseless animal is evil. Course we have MMA where we watch humans beating each other silly for entertainment. We're a virus with shoes.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Like MMA, Boxing etc, if two people choose to beat the living daylights out of one another. I personally have no issues with that.

But I get your point, that it is a bit funny how we enjoy watching people fight each other for sport, but again, if two adults, choose that path and are not hurting anyone else. I can't really have an issue with it.

but it is an interesting commentary on the human state of mind.
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    What does it say about humans as a society. We are barbaric. Hey to each their own it's just we have not evolved as much as we'd like to think. Have bill board on freeway by house that shows proud texans and their prey.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Idris said:

Is it less disgusting to remove the beast and put him in a zoo? Surely it'll generate money from visitors. (I personally dont like the idea of caging animals)

The notion of killing an endangered animal to protect them overall is perverse. Its just wrong.
    -
    Once again, we as human beings are resorting to what we know and do best, killing in the name of protection and in this case so called animal conservation.

Surely we can think of better ways to generate funds for them, rather than just resort to killing. Surely??

Well one positive thing that comes from things like this is a greater awareness of the plight of these endangered animals. Without this stunt we wouldn't be talking about them.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I's like to see some really rich person pay a ton of money ear-marked for rhino conservation and then go and shoot a live rhino with blank rounds and confess that he or she really just wanted to get a close look at one of these beautiful creatures up close and alive, never with the intent to kill.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I don't understand killing anything. (Although I am a carnivore myself, so I suppose I contribute)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Idris said:

-

zoos are awful ... it's debatable what is more cruel i say ...

but either way - in a perfect world, there would be balance ... but there isn't and we're talking africa here ... there are a lot of things that come into play ... if we can wake china and vietnam up to their BS beliefs - we'd do more for the rhino population ...

or if there are other ways of raising the money - i'm pretty sure everyone is all ears ...
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    before long us humans will be able to watch & participate in hunting one another down for entertainment purposes. rhino & elephant hunters will be targeted for hunting games.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Idris said:

-

zoos are awful ... it's debatable what is more cruel i say ...

but either way - in a perfect world, there would be balance ... but there isn't and we're talking africa here ... there are a lot of things that come into play ... if we can wake china and vietnam up to their BS beliefs - we'd do more for the rhino population ...

or if there are other ways of raising the money - i'm pretty sure everyone is all ears ...
    As I mentioned, I don't like or support caging wild animals. As you said, its debatable which is more cruel. I agree.

But As long as good people like you, say things like "necessary evil" I reckon the world will stay out of balance. Are we not a progressive, thinking people? Who have moved past the notion of "necessary evils" and killing to solve problems?

I agree with 'Callen' who above mentioned that we as a people have not evolved as much as we think we have. But No doubt our egos have grown/evolved.

What we need to do is get in touch with these wild life funds and African governments, get a grass roots movement going, and have a bidding war, a non violent way to deal with this. We out bid the hunters,

with all the outrage now, I'm quite confident that we could generate more money than the 350k, to save the beast and help with conservation efforts.

I'm sure you'll donate a couple dollars, I would, many people I feel would donate (basing this on the massive outcry currently going on) we present this concept to these African governments. I mean money talks.

Open up a bidding war, us vs them.

But we should never go on about 'necessary evils', its a dangerous path to walk.

• Options
    Idris said:

As I mentioned, I don't like or support caging wild animals. As you said, its debatable which is more cruel. I agree.

But As long as good people like you, say things like "necessary evil" I reckon the world will stay out of balance. Are we not a progressive, thinking people? Who have moved past the notion of "necessary evils" and killing to solve problems?

I agree with 'Callen' who above mentioned that we as a people have not evolved as much as we think we have. But No doubt our egos have grown/evolved.

What we need to do is get in touch with these wild life funds and African governments, get a grass roots movement going, and have a bidding war, a non violent way to deal with this. We out bid the hunters,

with all the outrage now, I'm quite confident that we could generate more money than the 350k, to save the beast and help with conservation efforts.

I'm sure you'll donate a couple dollars, I would, many people I feel would donate (basing this on the massive outcry currently going on) we present this concept to these African governments. I mean money talks.

Open up a bidding war, us vs them.

But we should never go on about 'necessary evils', its a dangerous path to walk.

money definitely talks ... it's essentially at the root of the rhino problems ...

again - i'm open to any other ideas but when conservation groups who's goal is to preserve the species support this hunts - what are ya gonna do? ...

my primary goal in this thread is to try and redirect that anger and what really is the problem and that is the black market value of rhino parts ... i'd rather raise $350k to try and quash the black market than move a rhino into some enclosure ...
  • Options
    Many groups are against this, the ones supporting it surely are in the minority.

• Options
    Last month it was Sea World, now it's rhinos. I wonder what next month it will be?
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867

Last month it was Sea World, now it's rhinos. I wonder what next month it will be?

The puppy bowl.

Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    edited January 2014

it's sea world everyday, all day & it is rhinoceros every day all day. next month it will be the same. why? because people like the folks at sea world & the big dick safari hunters & poachers make this world a shittier place than need be

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    a5pj said:

The puppy bowl.

Oh my god, I can't wait for this again!

AND KITTEN HALF-TIME.

By the way, I don't think these types of issues are causes du jour. Some people - many people - actually and sincerely (I hope not surprisingly) have problems with what is seen as the unnecessary killing of an animal - an endangered one at that - for ego, entertainment, etc.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    a5pj said:

The puppy bowl.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

house flys...death to the fashist house flys that feed on the steamy fresh dog turd left in my yard ...or will it be "save the house fly" it too is a living being with a reason to live free among the steamy freah dog turds left by my loving neighbors great dane.

:)) :)) :-&

Godfather.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,185
    i read yesterday that the man who won this auction is in hiding. he is fearing for his life.

good, now he knows what it feels like to be hunted.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,185
    i would like to see the winning bidder buy his way out of his current situation....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Poachers for international crime syndicates slaughtered 1,004 rhinos in South Africa last year, nearly double the amount killed in 2012, government officials have announced.

Home to the world's largest population of the endangered species, South Africa is struggling to combat a skyrocketing number of poachers who use helicopters and night-vision equipment to kill both black and white rhinos for their horns.

Demand in Asia for the horns fuels an intense and illicit market. The horns are ground down and used as elixirs meant to fight cancer, diabetes, hangovers and sexual dysfunction. Horn dust is also sold as an illegal drug to be snorted like cocaine.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/south-african-rhinos-poached-record-numbers-article-1.1588872#ixzz2rGeJpA9Y

Thanks to the ignorant Chinese and Vietnamese and their belief in bullshit myths, rhinos along with elephants will be extinct within 20 years.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    nice job, bronx bombers & gimmie.

what a bullshit fucking insane pile of shitbags some people are. all of these clowns deserve to wear a bullet upside their stupid heads... poachers & auction bidding wealthy jerk offs as well as the asians snorting rhino & elephant horn dust to make their junk function again might should be thrown off a tall structure

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Poachers for international crime syndicates slaughtered 1,004 rhinos in South Africa last year, nearly double the amount killed in 2012, government officials have announced.

Home to the world's largest population of the endangered species, South Africa is struggling to combat a skyrocketing number of poachers who use helicopters and night-vision equipment to kill both black and white rhinos for their horns.

Demand in Asia for the horns fuels an intense and illicit market. The horns are ground down and used as elixirs meant to fight cancer, diabetes, hangovers and sexual dysfunction. Horn dust is also sold as an illegal drug to be snorted like cocaine.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/south-african-rhinos-poached-record-numbers-article-1.1588872#ixzz2rGeJpA9Y

Thanks to the ignorant Chinese and Vietnamese and their belief in bullshit myths, rhinos along with elephants will be extinct within 20 years.

exactly! ... this is really where we should be focusing our energy on ...
  • Options
    Getting an ancient culture to wake up from a myth, gonna take more than energy.
  • Options
    have any of these assholes been beat yet? if not, to bad

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    hedonist said:

a5pj said:

The puppy bowl.

Oh my god, I can't wait for this again!

AND KITTEN HALF-TIME.

heh, btw my parent's dog is one of the judge's/ ref's of the puppy bowl. From what they said it's kept very tightly under wraps. They were there when they filmed it and they don't even know who won.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Idris said:

Sadly it's pretty much a lost cause at this point. The tiger should go within 10 years and rhinos and elephants 20 years so there's not a lot of time left before these animals are extinct.
  • Options

Idris said:

Sadly it's pretty much a lost cause at this point. The tiger should go within 10 years and rhinos and elephants 20 years so there's not a lot of time left before these animals are extinct.
    which brings to mind a point which I'm sure we will hear about more in the near future. Cloning Endangered animals.

Does it solve the reason why these animals are becoming endangered/extinct? No, but some will argue, clone away, so we can hunt away.

I know they are collecting DNA etc in Brazil 'Just in Case'.

(I personally do not support the cloning of Animals, endangered or not)

• Options
    edited January 2014
    cloning stinks but zoos for example should be busting ass to encourage breeding & replacement back into the wild. it is to the point that those special forces guys (like on rhino wars) will be there beside rhinos all year round. as a matter of fact, entire platoons or whatever they are called, should be on duty protecting these beasts

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Idris said:

shark fin consumption in china is down 70% because of PR campaigns - it's not everything but it's doing something ...