Options

Forum Re-style for Firefox/Chrome (Formerly the malarky thread)

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Holy shit I hate the forum now
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    I'm with you,,,I liked the old one much better.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Is there a fix for Safari by any chance?
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    A cursory search suggest there's a GreaseMonkey equivalent plugin for Safari called GreaseKit. I might look into it later, but for now I can't claim to support Safari.

I'm glad this has helped some of you out. The reason I started this was to prevent anyone from leaving the community over something trifle like the forum appearance. Hopefully this demonstrates that the problem is not insurmountable.

Some improvements are still needed for the black and white scripts, but I've been busy with some other projects lately. Not sure when I'll get back to those, but for now the legacy version looks good.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Mike D88 said:

A cursory search suggest there's a GreaseMonkey equivalent plugin for Safari called GreaseKit. I might look into it later, but for now I can't claim to support Safari.

I'm glad this has helped some of you out. The reason I started this was to prevent anyone from leaving the community over something trifle like the forum appearance. Hopefully this demonstrates that the problem is not insurmountable.

Some improvements are still needed for the black and white scripts, but I've been busy with some other projects lately. Not sure when I'll get back to those, but for now the legacy version looks good.

Thank you Mike D. Your latest script has made all the difference. Great job, it's a real gift to a lot of us here! imageimage

To any of you out there who have doubts about doing this believe me, if I can figure out how to download Firefox, Greasemonkey and the latest Mike D. script just about anybody can. I'm a real klutz around computers and I managed and this place is looking great on my screen these days!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Mike D88 said:

No problem Mike, I'm just so grateful for your fix, and my eyes thank you too!

I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    Your my hero! Thanks so much for your work!
    George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    Great job, this really helps!
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I was using the legacy style script, and then it just stopped working and the forum reverted back to the 10C stock version. I've played around with the other greasemonkey scripts, and the only one that works for me now is the inverted (black) version.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or knows how to fix.

Having said that I am still super grateful that the inverted version is working :)
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,213
    I sort of had the problem with greasemoney. It seems not to run the script when I'm logged out. It runs it when I'm logged in. The black script doesn't seem to care, but the legacy one needs me to be logged in.
  • Options
    Mine kicks off when logged out as well. I think I said I was going to look at that earlier and forgot to.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Problem solved - thanks you guys!
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    I'm using the legacy script at the moment. It's of course awesome!!! Just one little thing, which needs fixing. When I open a thread, that has more than one page, and want to bookmark it I cannot do it, because I have the search function popping up every time when I try to click on the star icon. Anyone noticed this?
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    wow this is a total mindblow. thank you so so much!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Minor fix tonight for the legacy style. This update changes poll fonts to black and fixes the issue where the style wouldn't apply when logged out.

The link for those that don't want to click back to the OP.
    KateA said:

I'm using the legacy script at the moment. It's of course awesome!!! Just one little thing, which needs fixing. When I open a thread, that has more than one page, and want to bookmark it I cannot do it, because I have the search function popping up every time when I try to click on the star icon. Anyone noticed this?

I haven't been able to replicate this. Can you post a screenshot?
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Thanks Mike for the legacy script, my eyes appreciate it.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Another update today to put the side panel back in profile preferences, surprised nobody called me out on that.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:

Another update today to put the side panel back in profile preferences, surprised nobody called me out on that.

Thanks. I noticed it the other day when I found out I could change what I see for peoples signatures. I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I disabled the script, changed the setting, then reenabled the script. Never occured to me to complain :) Thanks for the fix!

• Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    I don't know if it's a problem in the 'black' script but when I try to edit my post, the text appear white on the white background.

Except that, everything is fine and I still thank you for your work.
  • Options
    I thought I'd bump this post as I saw a few more people ranting about the forums. These scripts (especially the classic one) make for forums very usable on a PC again.
  • Options
    Minor update to legacy tonight to fix positioning on the edit discussion page.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Thanks again, Mike D88! Your script is the reason why I still come back here...
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,535
    I notice the section headers (ie Home › Pearl Jam's Music › The Porch) at the top of my page are not visible unless highlighted.

Thanks for your assistance.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    Using legacy now... You're amazing.

10c.... HIRE THIS MAN.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

I notice the section headers (ie Home › Pearl Jam's Music › The Porch) at the top of my page are not visible unless highlighted.

Which version of the script?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,535
    Mike D88 said:

100 Pacer said:

Which version of the script?
    It's all good now actually. I uninstalled and reinstalled the script and everything works perfectly.

Much thanks.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Recent updates to the board have broken these scripts. Since 10C is addressing the concerns the scripts were meant to resolve, I don't think I'll be updating them going forward.

I recommend anyone who was using a script to disable or uninstall it.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Sorry to hear that - i was just trying to install and wasn't able to - got error message (chrome). I'll thank you for all your hard work and concern for the community anyway. :( :)>-
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Mike D88 said:

Recent updates to the board have broken these scripts. Since 10C is addressing the concerns the scripts were meant to resolve, I don't think I'll be updating them going forward.

I recommend anyone who was using a script to disable or uninstall it.

Oh ma-a-a-a-a-an! That's a HUGE bummer! I very much like the legacy script- it's such a GREAT layout and worked very, very well here. I still have it running, flawed or not and will do so as long as possible. After that... maybe time to go bye bye!

In any case, Mike D88, you're awesome, you rock, and thank you for work par excellence!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited April 2014
    So far the script is the same as always and way way way way better than what 10C is doing! I'll also keep using it for as long as it's better than the actual forum... could be a while, lol.
    Thanks for all your work Mike!!!!!! :)

Update: the lights down feature doesn't even work for me UNLESS I'm using Mike's script. If I disable the script nothing happens with Lights Down, and that fucking sidebar is still there.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata