Options

*** Oakland Fanviews Here 11/26/13 ***

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Did anyone notice Eddie wore the West Seattle shirt that was tossed at him during this show, at the Seattle show? :)
    Jones Beach, NY 2001
    New Orleans, LA 2003
    Oakland, CA 2013
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Mikegman wrote:
    Did anyone notice Eddie wore the West Seattle shirt that was tossed at him during this show, at the Seattle show? :)

Yup.

I remember when he got it tossed to him in Oakland, took one look at it and said, "Ohh, I am keeping this one!"
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    My very late review:

This was my only show this tour and I've previously been to about 40 PJ shows and 6 EV solo shows. I can tell the Oak show was a great experience because I've had multiple good dreams about it ever since. =) It was my husband's first show and he's only 5'3", so we basically had to be up front in GA in order for him to see anything. I didn't think my old, lazy ass could do it, but I'm proud to say we got in line and waited all day with a bunch of really nice and cool PJ fans, and we ended up in the 2nd row.

I especially enjoy PJ because of their diverse music range (rocking out along with slow, poetic songs), and I am one of the fans who especially loved Thin Air; enjoyed Unthought Known; and Nothingman will always be a personal favorite. My husband especially enjoyed Pendulum and replayed it on Youtube repeatedly after the show. I often read so much negativity on this board and don't get why people go to so many shows just to whine and complain. I too have heard Last Kiss and Elderly Woman countless times, but it reminds me that PJ inspired me to find the nerve to sing aloud despite my horrible vocals -- Eldery was the first song I learned to play on guitar and sing aloud, and Last Kiss was the first song I ever sang karaoke to, which resulted in applause from the audience (though I'm sure my back up dancers helped a lot :!: ).

When the guys came out, they all looked tired and a bit run down until they warmed up as the show progressed. I couldn't help but be reminded of how much the band and us old-timer fans have aged over the years! I loved seeing Stone's warm smile when Vedder read the fan's sign about us all helping them with donations after they were robbed. And I was moved to witness Mike all choked up and teary eyed after singing to the Bridge kids.

Sure there were a few mistakes and I thought to myself, "I bet they play Why do I Keep Fucking Up," which they did, but unfortunately I missed. My old, tired body couldn't make it through to the end and we had to leave before the first encore ended :cry: which I regret so much but I was ready to collapse from exhaustion after waiting in line all day. Nonetheless, the time we had up there was unforgettable and PJ/EV shows continue to be one of the few things in life that make me feel bliss. Hawaii is another life experience that brings me pure joy, and I can't wait to catch a PJ show there next. The cherry on top would be if I was ever able to witness Who You Are (and without any special guests, as I've watched their Mansfield 2008 performance of it on YouTube and it surpassed any of the other ones I've watched accompanied by extra guests, and they looked like they had so much fun playing it!).

Thank you PJ and here's to hoping for more Lightning Bolt and EV solo shows in 2014 -- I wish I could afford Australia but it's just not in the cards. Someday!
  • Options
    mattsl1983 wrote:
    Sorry Ed, but just because the race horse you backed hasn't done anything in 5 years, doesn't Make it cool to bash something that's 5 years removed. Talk about beating a dead horse... Let's move past the politics! And spreed and preach about good things!?

And start hating my comment now. Ready go!

My apologies for the comment after the show. I was a wee bit tad bit Eddie drunk and went a little political. It was a great show. I don't post often, but when I do I make sure to post. All I can really think of where my ideas were going in the post was let's start addressing present issues instead of regurgitating past figures and out of negativity keeping them relevant. I'm actually not even a supporter of Cheney.

I think the best thing that might have come from that post is that maybe now we have an idea that the band might actually read the forum from time to time. Eddie did (and I'm not saying it was this thread) the next show address how he heard that he should move on from Cheney. Either way, great show, and I'm sure I'm screwed in any further lottery tickets from that comment on! Damn stubhub... My new best friend.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ah, don't sweat it mattsl... Something about a closet and bogeyman would apply here in some mixed metaphor....

MEANWHILE, what Ed does so well! 25 shows on the Formal LB tour, after Wrigley. What I think we'd find is that a majority of songs played each night were played at less than half those shows. And that's why Oakland was so fun, so long, and yet most songs not really played a lot on tour.

Thin Air played 34 times live, been over 5 years since they've played it, 14 times in 5 years previous to that, vs 19 times the first year it was released. The New World first since 2011.

Big Wave played 2 times, Dissident 3 times, Smile 3 times, F'n Up 3 times this tour. Untitled/MFC 3 times this tour ... But they played MFC alone twice more this tour. What's that even like?

Faithful 4 times, Why Go 4 times, Hail Hail 4 times this tour. Songs you'dve thought they played the shit outta this year, but no...

Nearly a third of the show pretty unique for the tour!

Setting Forth, Down, Last Kiss each 5 times. Just Breathe 7 times. Nothingman 9 times. Indifference 10 times. SOLAT played 12 times -- barely less than half the tour. Black 14 times, just more than half. Elderly 15 times.

Corduroy 18 times... DTE 22 times... And Ed pretty much stopped playing No More in 2008.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    jimed14 wrote:
    Mikegman wrote:

Yup.

I remember when he got it tossed to him in Oakland, took one look at it and said, "Ohh, I am keeping this one!"

Yeah, you can see him receive it at the end of this Smile video (at the 6:40 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLdlK4oHKow
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:
    Mikegman wrote:

Yup.

Yeah, you can see him receive it at the end of this Smile video (at the 6:40 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLdlK4oHKow

Ahhh ... jovial (ahem tipsy) Ed ... :lol:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    I can't get over how good Black was at this show. Awesome video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfvNVBAXhM
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    And Brian thought I couldn't figure this out.Oakland was the Best Show by far that I've ever seen.The Guy's brought their "A" Game.My Son got a pick from Stone.And for him,that's a treasure pick.And Me! I got "Eye Candy Close"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    donnaruhl said:

And Brian thought I couldn't figure this out.Oakland was the Best Show by far that I've ever seen.The Guy's brought their "A" Game.My Son got a pick from Stone.And for him,that's a treasure pick.And Me! I got "Eye Candy Close"

Ryan
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    So no bootleg on this show?