Options

*** Oakland Fanviews Here 11/26/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    This looks like my dream Setlist.....
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    JM16768 wrote:
    mrfrogman wrote:
    Ed still talking about Cheney/Bush is amusing. Let it go man. I'm pretty sure they've been out of office for 6 years now. There's plenty about the current administration that is disturbing enough.
    Oh man, you too...
    Please see my earlier post...this IS a current issue..
    :fp: :|

But lets everyone just post about the show...I'm not meaning to distract.

JM, don't want to start a debate either. My comment wasn't regarding the same sex issue. I don't really understand how a homosexual can be against gay marriage but whatever. I just don't care for Ed claiming that they are still "cleaning up the mess" from an administration 6 years removed. My point was he still talks about the Bush administration's problems while never really addressing or complaining about the current administration's issues. At what point is he going to publicly address some of those?

I'm not even a Republican, I just think if you are going to take to a public forum to complain about a governments policies, you can't keep talking about one that's 6 years removed while ignoring the current regime.

End my comments on this. Back to the show discussion. 37 songs!! That's nuts. I thought San Diego was long!
  • Options

Only negatives: I read someone else from a review of a different show comment that Unthought Known is a momentum killer, and it absolutely was. After Daughter with an awesome WMA tag, I was so into the show and then UK starts and it was like someone popped the balloon of energy in the building.

I couldn't agree more...I did't go last night, but I went to both LA shows and couldn't believe they played it both nights. How do they ignore Binaural completely, play one No Code song, one Riot Act song, one Avacado song and only a handful from Backspacer (referring to the two LA shows, not last night, of course) yet waste a precious setlist spot with such a lame song both nights in the same city?

That is my only real complaint, however...my two setlists were otherwise fantastic, and it looks like last night was pretty insane as well...
  • Options
    The Oakland show was my second this tour with the other being LA1. Was glad to see while there were a few repeats from the likely candidates there were a number of other tunes I like played last night. I thought the energy in the first set was amazing. Now I was in GA last night vs. back of lowers in LA1 and i thought the energy/singing was more pronounced last night, at least thru the first set. THe "Sirens" outro was done by crowd without any urging and was alot longer than LA. And the band fed off it clearly, and Eddie was certainly enjoying himself alot. I do think he used himself up a bit early and by nights end, was pretty much exhausted to go along with a good deal tipsy as well. He handed out probably 2 dozen tambourines, and all night was interacting with the crowd during the solos. I think that was a contributor to the length of the show, really long versions of Daughter with WMA tag, Better Man, Porch, Black.

The plusses for me of the show:
    More songs better than less songs.

They definitely added a few along the way which was cool, and more evidence they were having a great time, enjoying the crowd. Loved hearing Faithfull and the motive for it.

While i'm not a huge fan of "Last Kiss", I was smiling from ear to ear when the band moved over and sang to the Bridge School students, current and former (they aren't "kids", Ben Young is in his 30s and Myacor is a college graduate). As mentioned above, Mike was visibly moved and wiping tears away, you can tell they really love the School and the people involved.

They played Fuckin' Up, which was fitting because Eddie was doing that all night with the lyrics to some of the songs. Was thinking, maybe because you've had too much wine?

The vibe in the "pit" was great, i didn't see any pushing or shoving or other shenanigans like LA1 and met some cool people on the day. And as I said I thought the energy was great and driving the band.

Thought i was gonna miss my Bart train but it was there on platform just as i was leaving, no waiting!

The minuses: Eddie did f up words on at least 3 songs and they had some difficulties on MFC - it did seem a bit amateur hour there for a time. I mean he sings DTE every night, how do you flub that.

While the band seemed in awe of John Doe, i felt it was kind of a vibe killer there, few people there knew him or song and sapped a bit of energy...I mean if they were going to have a Bay Area guest they should have had Uncle Neil, given his son was in the crowd with the Bridge Schoolers. Couldn't even imagine if they went F'n up into RITFW to close with NY on Old Black (though had to be past his bedtime it was almost midnight)

I love, love, love hearing Crazy Mary as it was scratched off of LA1, but i wish Mike would have done the back and forth solo with Boom instead of just Boom jamming. Boom was awesome but to me its the interaction of the two that make that song incredible.

All and all though, great show. I mean almost 3.5 hours.
    9/8/98 Newark, NJ, 10/31/00 Mountain View, CA, 10/20/01 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 15), 7/6/06 Las Vegas, NV, 8/28/09 SF, CA, 10/31/09 Philly, PA, 10/23/10 Mountain View, CA (Bridge School 24), 09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI, 11/23/13 LA1, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, WI
  • Options
    lowas3lowas3 Posts: 12
    I've been reviewing the show in my head for a couple of hours now ... and despite a mediocre crowd and a few(very) minor flubs here and there ... my buddy and I have decided that there can't be another band on the planet who rivals the level that Pearl Jam is performing at right now.

The boys are seriously playing OUT OF THEIR MINDS! Other musicians who come to the shows must be leaving thinking "Wow, WTF was that?!" I know that a few have said as much on their twitter accounts already.

I mean, this is some legendary shit we're witnessing. I'm so proud to be a card carrying member of the Ten Club. I also want to point out that Mike has risen to a level that doesn't seem possible. AN ABSOLUTE BEAST!!!!!!! It really is impressive to watch.

This is special, folks. This is a moment in time that I won't ever forget. This band is at the top of their game. Hell, this band is on top of every other bands game. I brought my friend to his 2nd show ... and during Indifference ... he grabbed my arm and leaned in to thank me for introducing him to "the magic" that is Pearl Jam.

I haven't stopped smiling since. :D

I second that! My first PJ show! Loved every minute of it even when there was a few mess-ups. It made it all the more unique. Ed and the boys sing their hearts out and really care about their fans!
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Wow, I should really be in Seattle next week, I hate being broke :(
  • Options
    japhyryder wrote:
    Wow! Last night was awesome. They came out at 8:30 and walked off the stage at 11:55. That really happened. So many people are critical of their setlist, and I did find it strange that they played so many mainstream song, but I watched the boys play for almost two and a half hours!

I didn't really pay too much attention to the crowd. I was so into my own experience, I didn't really notice.

I loved the Bridge School shoutout. And I love the flaws and struggles that they have on stage. And they are humble enough to make fun of themselves for it. I used to love the going to U2 shows. But I saw back to back shows in Vegas and the Rose Bowl and they were so scripted. Same jokes and band intros. Last night was definitely NOT scripted. Pure energy and fun.

It was awesome meeting so many new friends. Thanks all!

Happy Thanksgiving. I know one thing I am thankful for!

Correction, they played 3.5 hours not 2.5 hours. :D
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    mattsl1983 wrote:
    Sorry Ed, but just because the race horse you backed hasn't done anything in 5 years, doesn't Make it cool to bash something that's 5 years removed. Talk about beating a dead horse... Let's move past the politics! And spreed and preach about good things!?

And start hating my comment now. Ready go!

I'm trying to give some form of a response because it seems that is what you wanted when you finished your post saying, And start hating my comment now. Ready go!

But I have no idea what spreeding is?

And when a guy has the microphone he can say whatever he pleases. If you want to talk about how great Cheney was... then go make a band, make a record, and get onstage talking about how awesome the Bush administration was. There are three people in the MT forum that would go to your shows for sure.

I think his point is that Ed sounds like a moron years after the fact still talking about Dick Cheney. We all witnessed this throughout the Riot Act and Avocado tours. It kills a show. Period.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    AMAZING SHOW!!!!! Eddie was in rare form. The Setlist provided an exciting journey through the bands repertoire. I loved the fact that we (the crowd) had to help eddie with some of the lyrics!!!! Longest PJ concert I have ever attended (3.5hrs). Then 10c was very organized, I liked the number system so you didn't have to wait in line the entire time!! Till next show.......
    Columbia, MD - 9/24/1996 Columbia, MD - 9/18/1998 Columbia, MD - 9/4/2000 Mansfield, MA - 4/3/2003 San Francisco, CA - 7/15/2006 San Francisco, CA - 7/16/2006 Berkeley, CA - 4/8/2008 Oakland, CA - 7/12/2011 Oakland, CA - 11/26/2013, San Francisco, Ca - 11/11/16, Seattle, WA - 8/8/2018
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    There was one very special moment last night that I don't think many people saw. After they played Last Kiss for the bridge school people they walked back to their spots on the stage. Mike was visibly upset and wiped away a few tears. This guys not just an incredible rock star. He cares deeply about people and playing for the bridge school people must have been a special moment for him.

Very glad I wasn't the only one to see that. I had posted on facebook, "Mike McCready isn't human". But that shows just how human he is. Took him a minute or two to compose himself.

What a good man he is.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    Dude passing out in the pit after hitting the mary jane a bit too much = :roll:

He was standing right next to me. That was some really potent stuff that group was passing around, and they hit that a LOT. His eyes were rolled back and was unconscious for a good 30 seconds. Props to all the folks around who got the security and med folks over pretty quickly.

But that dude was OUT.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 219

Only negatives: I read someone else from a review of a different show comment that Unthought Known is a momentum killer, and it absolutely was. After Daughter with an awesome WMA tag, I was so into the show and then UK starts and it was like someone popped the balloon of energy in the building.

I happen to love the song, but just looking back--in my 5 shows over 13 months they've played it every single time, and just doesn't seem like a "must-play" to me--only 3 other songs were played at all 5, and Unthought Known isn't up there with those.

No complaints here though--over those same 5 shows I've seen 86 different songs, which is just insane. Enjoy the wave while it lasts...
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    Had second row in front of Mike. Watching him play all night from that close is special.

There was one very special moment last night that I don't think many people saw. After they played Last Kiss for the bridge school people they walked back to their spots on the stage. Mike was visibly upset and wiped away a few tears. This guys not just an incredible rock star. He cares deeply about people and playing for the bridge school people must have been a special moment for him.

If you have GA at one of the next few shows and you've never stood in front of Mike, do it. He's an animal and the best performer in the band. You won't regret it.

I was standing right in front of Mike and actually did notice Mike wiping years away and I took a picture of him, I'll post it soon once I get home.

And you are right, Mike was an absolute maniac last night, he didn't stop once the while show, other then the slow songs on Encore 1. I was lucky to get one of his picks. Anyone who goes and has GA tickets definitely needs to try and stand in front if Mike. He interacted with the crowd the whole night, I got a couple of acknowledgements from him, which my wife noticed and thought that it was cool.
    Jones Beach, NY 2001
    New Orleans, LA 2003
    Oakland, CA 2013
  • Options
    There was an opener last night by the way - 1 hour of sound check. Ha. The band didn't take the stage until 8:30 even though the ticket said 7:30.

No complaints from me though. Ed stated that its been a while since they've played a proper set list in the Bay Area, meaning most times they only play an hour (Bridge School, Outside Lands, Opener for the Rolling Stones). So I appreciated a full show.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    So first and foremost, my utmost apologies to all Oakland Show Goers — my poster curse is ALIVE and THRIVING! Now the cool part of my particular poster curse is that, the worse the poster, the better the show. And as I said, this curse is THRIVING! I was actually really stoked when I saw how bad the poster was!!! It’s like the curse is getting more intense as the year’s go by… I really didn’t think I could get a worse poster than Vancouver…

And it helps, I just buy an extra shirt now! Last few tours we didn’t get a Bay Area specific tour shirt, so it was VERY cool to see the Raiders one.

And now — WHOA! Man that was some serious fun! Main Floor Sec A ten rows back, was pretty pumping, sounded great, nice slow build up to serious mayhem. New songs are f’n rocking — wanted Infallible, but loved the Pendulum opener. Wanted Sonic Reducer, but oh my DISSIDENT! Yes! SOLAT there ya go! Faithful, Down, Smile, Untitled/MFC, Thin Air, Indifference, ooooh my.

And Hail Hail and Corduroy! True, nothing too rare, but f’n solid setlist for sure. The bonus EV song, they’ve been tucking that in for awhile now I think? I liked the solid focus on Boom for Crazy Mary — keeps the 2006 SFIII as the f’n Holy Grail version! hehehe.

Bridge School shout out was epic, ya knew EXACTLY what they were gonna play if you’ve ever been to Bridge. Was like a mini Bridge Event, soo cool.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    WOW! This was an AMAZING show! My first of the tour and I had GA tix! I was dead center front row! I was chatting the whole night with the 2 Brazilians gals {one that was robbed} and just to clarify she had everything stolen outside the arena while in the GA line. She fell asleep and somebody came along and took all her private info. So sad and what a freaking douche bag whoever it was that did this! Besides that I LOVE everything about this show! They all had a great energy. From where I was in the GA pit everybody was rocking out! It was SO fun! I got MIKES PICK and EDDIE HANDED ME THE FIRST TAMBOURINE OF THE NIGHT! I was in heaven! Next up for me....GA in Seattle! Can't wait! :D:D:D
    Li
  • Options
    Had GREAT 10C seats, row 2 floor, mike's side. highlights for me were down, thin air and SMILE!

With that said, I have never been so disappointed by a PJ crowd in my life. That was my last show of the tour for me and the crowd compared to LA...it was like night and day.

I would not be surprised if I was behind the woman that was ejected from LA 1. That is merely speculation, not saying it was. In fact, it's unlikely.

I had high hopes with my 10C tickets and even my friend said she had to close her eyes some parts to just focus on the music and not the nonsense happening in front of us so she could try and enjoy the show.

My point is: have some respect and consideration at shows (and in life, really) for those around you.
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    WMAmorican wrote:

I couldn't agree more...I did't go last night, but I went to both LA shows and couldn't believe they played it both nights. How do they ignore Binaural completely, play one No Code song, one Riot Act song, one Avacado song and only a handful from Backspacer (referring to the two LA shows, not last night, of course) yet waste a precious setlist spot with such a lame song both nights in the same city?

That is my only real complaint, however...my two setlists were otherwise fantastic, and it looks like last night was pretty insane as well...

Disagree about UK. This is my 14 year old 'daughter's' favorite song and one of the reasons why she wanted to go to the show with me. Not too many teenage girls want to spend time with their parents -- because we are soooo square. So for that reason alone, I am REALLY glad they played that song in particular. BUT as she said walking out "Now that was cool!" She is a fan for life and UK was the bait!!!!!!!

She also commented on EVs wine consumption but that's another story...
    You will be no ones rival...
  • Options
    drew42e wrote:
    While the band seemed in awe of John Doe, i felt it was kind of a vibe killer there, few people there knew him or song and sapped a bit of energy...I mean if they were going to have a Bay Area guest they should have had Uncle Neil, given his son was in the crowd with the Bridge Schoolers. Couldn't even imagine if they went F'n up into RITFW to close with NY on Old Black (though had to be past his bedtime it was almost midnight)

Totally agree with the the John Doe comments.
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

• Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 348
    I agree with the John Doe comment and I love X. But again, at 3.5 hours, who really cares!
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    Was it me or did Eddie not recognize Jeff at the end of the show after Indifference? Maybe I didn't hear it but Eddie mentioned everyone else, even Boom and John Doe from X. There was a rumor earlier that Eddie and Jeff had an issue. What's going on?
  • Options
    RL23735 wrote:
    Was it me or did Eddie not recognize Jeff at the end of the show after Indifference? Maybe I didn't hear it but Eddie mentioned everyone else, even Boom and John Doe from X. There was a rumor earlier that Eddie and Jeff had an issue. What's going on?

By the end of the show, Eddie was so drunk i'm sure he didn't even know who's name he mentioned lol.
    Jones Beach, NY 2001
    New Orleans, LA 2003
    Oakland, CA 2013
  • Options
    Awesome Show, they Oakland try to kick them out buy turning on the lights around 11:30?

Btw I created a spotify playlist from the set list here http://open.spotify.com/user/gateway69/ ... LaKOKtL1eb

I think I have most of them, wasnt sure what or where I found find "untitled" or the new world .. any comments let me know
  • Options
    Wow! 38 tunes! Lucky bastards! :fp: I saw both L.A. shows, which were great, but I like the Oakland set-list more. "Hail,Hail," "Smile," "Crazy Mary." Too cool -- both the set-list and the sheer number of tunes they played make it sound like an epic show.
  • Options
    lowas3lowas3 Posts: 12
    gateway wrote:
    Awesome Show, they Oakland try to kick them out buy turning on the lights around 11:30?

Btw I created a spotify playlist from the set list here http://open.spotify.com/user/gateway69/ ... LaKOKtL1eb

I think I have most of them, wasnt sure what or where I found find "untitled" or the new world .. any comments let me know

Thank you so much for this. Love it! Unbelievable night that I'll always remember!
  • Options
    mchlmchl Posts: 15
    how long was the show? almost 4h?
    great setlist...
  • Options
    mchl wrote:
    how long was the show? almost 4h?
    great setlist...

Around 3 hrs and 20 min give or take, their 2nd longest ever show!
  • Options
    PaulC1978 wrote:
    japhyryder wrote:
    Wow! Last night was awesome. They came out at 8:30 and walked off the stage at 11:55. That really happened. So many people are critical of their setlist, and I did find it strange that they played so many mainstream song, but I watched the boys play for almost two and a half hours!

I didn't really pay too much attention to the crowd. I was so into my own experience, I didn't really notice.

I loved the Bridge School shoutout. And I love the flaws and struggles that they have on stage. And they are humble enough to make fun of themselves for it. I used to love the going to U2 shows. But I saw back to back shows in Vegas and the Rose Bowl and they were so scripted. Same jokes and band intros. Last night was definitely NOT scripted. Pure energy and fun.

It was awesome meeting so many new friends. Thanks all!

Happy Thanksgiving. I know one thing I am thankful for!

Correction, they played 3.5 hours not 2.5 hours. :D

Sorry about that. Thankfully, I don't teach math!!!! I'll stick with English!
  • Options
    Had GREAT 10C seats, row 2 floor, mike's side. highlights for me were down, thin air and SMILE!

With that said, I have never been so disappointed by a PJ crowd in my life. That was my last show of the tour for me and the crowd compared to LA...it was like night and day.

I would not be surprised if I was behind the woman that was ejected from LA 1. That is merely speculation, not saying it was. In fact, it's unlikely.

I had high hopes with my 10C tickets and even my friend said she had to close her eyes some parts to just focus on the music and not the nonsense happening in front of us so she could try and enjoy the show.

My point is: have some respect and consideration at shows (and in life, really) for those around you.

Wow, we must have been at different shows. This was the best, most respectful and happiest crowd I've seen. I was in GA, about 10 people deep and it was nothing but a great crowd.

Ed mentioned on multiple occasions how great it was to see a crowd "that was so happy, not like the crowds in Southern California". Never seen Ed happier at a show, I am sure the wine helped, but the band seemed totally in tune with the crowd and had just as great a time as we did.
  • Options
    Phenomenal!!! I had the rail on Mike's side and he got a kick all night out of the stick on mustaches I passed out to both the men and ladies close by, but the fact that I got to shake Eddie's hand and he took the poster my daughter and I made for them to play Of the Earth!! Such a great experience tonight. The band seemed happier than in LA and the setlist was fantastic. A little of everything. And what makes these shows greater than ever is the people I meet and hang out with and see tour after tour to have them become like family. Everyone is going to have a different perception of the shows. Those who have been to 50+ shows are going to underrate anything that is "subpar" in their eyes. It's the experience of the show whether they play 35 songs you like or 5 songs you like. I know for me, and I'd say the people I hung out with for well over 15 hours with today and the band I love made it great. I wish I was able to hit more shows, but my tour ends here.

dude! thanks for the 'stache! I'll never forget Mike locking eyes with me and mouthing "what the hell?" while gesturing to it. hilarious, glad we could make him laugh. everyone around us was so cool, I was right behind the people on the rail and had a great view. It was my brother's first show, he has been deployed to other countries every other time they've toured, so this was a treat to be able to show him why I love this band. Thank you Pearl Jam, and thanks to all the cool people I met!