Options

*** Los Angeles 1 Fanviews Here 11/23/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I thought last night was amazing. Slightly odd, with Ed's rant and Mike's bloody head, but there were so many highlights - Release and Garden (I love Garden so much) and All or None and I agree with previous posters, that was one of the best versions of Black ever.

My daughter and a friend sat behind the stage kind of behind Mike (they're 16) and they LOVED their view. We had Ticketmaster seats, front row in the Loge and that was great. Fan club tix tonight.

My one funny/weird story - the man beside me drank many beers (8-plus) and we talked a little and he was nice and at one point he turned to me and said, "Is your husband asleep?" and he was and I said to the guy, "He's working on a movie and sleeping like 3 hours a night, but he didn't want to miss the show." (He fell asleep during Sirens.) This guy said, "Oh, I get it. I'm on call tomorrow so I have to be at work at 9. I'm a surgeon." He was so drunk that during Footsteps he leaned over and sang "It was you" to me and squeezed my leg. Good luck to anybody getting him as a surgeon today.

Can't wait for tonight!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    There seems to be times when words can not be crafted to do justice that something so beautiful deserves ...

Last night is one of those instances for me.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    JohnD.JohnD. Posts: 63
    edited November 2013
    Amazing show. The best crowd I've seen since the early 90s. I was 5 deep in the pit and the look in Eddie's eyes when he was staring down that girl he wanted ejected was really insane and intense. Manson-like.

I'm really tall and was wearing a green tee shirt. More than one person called me the Jolly Green Giant. If anyone who called me that is reading this, you're an asshole.

Celebs spotted: Casey Affleck, Laura Dern, Miles Teller from Project X, Tim Robbins.

EDIT-- Also, if you bring a child under the age of 11 into the GA pit, you're a complete asshole.
    Post edited by JohnD. on
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Celeb sighting....

danny masterson (Hyde on that 70s show) was in row across from me - Loge 18.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    There seems to be times when words can not be crafted to do justice that something so beautiful deserves ...

Last night is one of those instances for me.

Nicely said, Dave
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Maybe it is a sign of old age but I was really put off by the lack of manners that PJ showed by being an hour late and to add insult to injury with no explanation or apogee I think that really taint by show experience. :roll: :shock:
    I thought Eddies vocals were drowning out the other instruments. Especially Mike's guitar.
    I understand wanting to change up songs you have been playing for twenty plus years but I thought the pace in one was too slow and some were too fast. I do not know if where I was seating had to do with the problems I was hearing with the sound.
    My seats were a the side of the stage with a perfect view of where the guitar techs were working I like this seat as you get to see the workings.
    :shock: I seen them at the Forum and thought they were great and a very unpretentious band and was greatly anticipating this show I come away thinking Eddie is becoming pretentious and that is because he has been tour so long with adoring every move by him . :nono:
  • Options
    My only complaint being on Stone's side in GA is that Mike's guitar was drowned out, during his leads I could hear he was doing something but I couldn't make anything out. It was awesome seeing him rock out though!

I have Lodge tickets off to the right for tonight, can anyone who had seats off to the right attest to Mike's guitar level? Was it better up in the seats?

Anyways I cannot stress enough how awesome this show was, aside from that one idiot in the start that Ed kicked out it went without a hitch. Highlights for me were Once, Footsteps, All or None, Baba, and Indifference

I also enjoyed Eddie's George Zimmerman / gun control rants, it helps I agree with everything he said but hey what can I say the guy knows how to tell anecdotes ;)
  • Options
    Definitely a great setlist, highlights were Release/Long Road - was hoping for one, got them both. Garden was awesome, All or None was awesome, I Believe in Miracles was awesome (the plugged in version), and that was a pretty epic Black. Honestly that whole acoustic section at the beginning of encore one was a treat because they used it to showcase songs they don't normally play.

Re: front row incident/person - that was super strange because they had just played these two highly emotional songs (Release and Long Road) and then in the middle of Corduroy, Eddie just looses his mind dropping F bombs at someone, so it must have been noticeable and serious. It sorta gave the show a weird vibe for a few songs, but then they played Why Go and everything was fine again.

To the woman holding up the All or None sign: THANK YOU.

I was in the upper level in the back, slightly leaning towards Stone's side, and the sound was a little muddy. Mike's solos would often meld into the background of the other guitar work and weren't as clear as I remember hearing at the Universal Amphitheater, but I really do think that has more to do with the acoustics of where we were sitting. I have reserved 10C seats tonight, so I am hoping for a clearer sound! The fans in the section were a cross section - guy next to me was super into it and had a poster and the whole deal, guys behind me kept high fiveing me because I knew the lyrics to songs - they left during RVM and never came back. There was a guy two rows in front of me who was NAPPING during Unthought Known. NAPPING.

Also super kudos to the entire video team because they're doing some incredible work. Lots of great camera angles, a pedal cam for Mike, cutaways to the crowd - it's noticeably a step above what I would normally see in camera coverage at a show.

Awesome show, and for as much energy as the band put out, a lot of it made it all the way to the back of the room, but I am really stoked to be knocked over by it tonight down in the fan club section somewhere. Personally, fingers crossed for Fuckin' Up, though I think Rockin'/Ledbetter are probably a lock.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Enkidu wrote:
    My one funny/weird story - the man beside me drank many beers (8-plus) and we talked a little and he was nice and at one point he turned to me and said, "Is your husband asleep?" and he was and I said to the guy, "He's working on a movie and sleeping like 3 hours a night, but he didn't want to miss the show." (He fell asleep during Sirens.) This guy said, "Oh, I get it. I'm on call tomorrow so I have to be at work at 9. I'm a surgeon." He was so drunk that during Footsteps he leaned over and sang "It was you" to me and squeezed my leg. Good luck to anybody getting him as a surgeon today.

:lol:
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    See you soon my friend
    bartero wrote:
    Awesome concert….I have been flying in from GUAM, in the South Pacific to get my much needed doses of Pearl Jam…this trip, was the first for Father and 16 year old son to share together. PJ is in his top 3 which is a great thing for me to see… San Diego was amazing and LA1 with much attention paid to TEN was quite nice being that this is their 10th album! :)

Another plane trip tomorrow to San Francisco and my son & I will complete a 3 Concert Tour - feels like we are on tour with the band! We will miss Thanksgiving on the flight back to GUAM, but the wife and daughter are in full support of this wonderful Tour…..and this is a great Thanksgiving for me to have Pearl Jam play me into the holidays…the soundtrack of my life in many highs and lows…thanks EdVed

It's good to see Eddie get fired up…having said that…I wish people would behave in concerts and not stir up negative shit….it just seems to disrespectful if not for the other concert goers but to the Eddie, Stone, Jeff, Mike & Matt - they give us, and those people take…

what was it Eddie said at the end of one song…"So what you giving?"

Brian Artero
    GUAM
  • Options
    Maybe it is a sign of old age but I was really put off by the lack of manners that PJ showed by being an hour late and to add insult to injury with no explanation or apogee I think that really taint by show experience. :roll: :shock:

7:30 (the time printed on the ticket) is when the venue suggests you arrive so you can have time to get settled in.

This prevents the venue from being only half-full by the time the band takes the stage and the audience from being distracted by having a bunch of people entering a dark venue and having trouble finding their seats.

The band usually goes on an 60 - 90 minutes after the ticket printed time depending if there's an opening band.

So really you can look at it as though the band started 30 minutes ahead of schedule because there was no opening band.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    dugan99 wrote:
    Definitely a great setlist, highlights were Release/Long Road - was hoping for one, got them both. Garden was awesome, All or None was awesome, I Believe in Miracles was awesome (the plugged in version), and that was a pretty epic Black. Honestly that whole acoustic section at the beginning of encore one was a treat because they used it to showcase songs they don't normally play.

Re: front row incident/person - that was super strange because they had just played these two highly emotional songs (Release and Long Road) and then in the middle of Corduroy, Eddie just looses his mind dropping F bombs at someone, so it must have been noticeable and serious. It sorta gave the show a weird vibe for a few songs, but then they played Why Go and everything was fine again.

To the woman holding up the All or None sign: THANK YOU.

I was in the upper level in the back, slightly leaning towards Stone's side, and the sound was a little muddy. Mike's solos would often meld into the background of the other guitar work and weren't as clear as I remember hearing at the Universal Amphitheater, but I really do think that has more to do with the acoustics of where we were sitting. I have reserved 10C seats tonight, so I am hoping for a clearer sound! The fans in the section were a cross section - guy next to me was super into it and had a poster and the whole deal, guys behind me kept high fiveing me because I knew the lyrics to songs - they left during RVM and never came back. There was a guy two rows in front of me who was NAPPING during Unthought Known. NAPPING.

Also super kudos to the entire video team because they're doing some incredible work. Lots of great camera angles, a pedal cam for Mike, cutaways to the crowd - it's noticeably a step above what I would normally see in camera coverage at a show.

Awesome show, and for as much energy as the band put out, a lot of it made it all the way to the back of the room, but I am really stoked to be knocked over by it tonight down in the fan club section somewhere. Personally, fingers crossed for Fuckin' Up, though I think Rockin'/Ledbetter are probably a lock.

I agree about the muddy sound - we were in the loge and I'm with you, hoping the sound with 10C tix tonight will be better.

My husband fell asleep during Sirens - it really was a miracle he was even at the concert cause he's so tired from work, but there was a man behind him who slept through the whole first encore. ???? The thought of sleeping at a PJ concert is so weird to me.
  • Options
    KS1695KS1695 Posts: 30
    Had such a blast last night! Thanks to the 10c for awesome tickets!! 4th row Section 29. Loved the energy of the crowd last night and the setlist was amazing. I was standing right behind Tim Robbins when Eddie threw him the wine bottle and thought I was gonne have wine all over me, but luckily he made a good catch (too bad he kept it all for himself!). There were some other celebs at the end of my section, but I couldn't put a name to the faces (guys from another band maybe?) Only bad part was the parking costs (25-40 depending where you went) and the d-bags that couldn't wait their turn at the Martin Luther King exit and thought they could cut in at the last minute (hey, you're time is no more important than everyone who waited their turn in that horrific traffic!). Anyways, other than that, an awesome night!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Nine shows in and finished 10!

Garden gave me goosebumps. Did it again just now thinking about it.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,328
    JohnDalton wrote:
    Miles Teller from Project X

I prefer to think of him as Miles Teller from "The Spectacular Now," the best film I've seen so far in 2013. I also saw him in line to pick up tickets. Another celeb in attendance was Patrick Warburton. I saw him down below in the bowels where you access the Arena level and the floor, and I asked him if was writing tonight's set list. Nice guy. Very gracious, asked our names, shook our hands. It took all my restraint not to ask him where his 8-ball jacket was.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Awesome show!! I was the "ALL OR NONE" girl!! Thank you Eddie for playing my song and thanks for the delicious wine! :D

:thumbup:

And a great version, you got!
  • Options
    It seems Eddie saw just in time as a woman in the front was in turn being punched by an overly aggressive woman, so he got her kicked out of GA. Good job Eddie!
    Hard to have a good time with assholes running around.

Great show!
  • Options
    jninejnine Posts: 43
    I was behind the stage, directly in line with Eddie and I thought it was a great view. I saw all of the band, the guys running all of the sound and equipment, when the band was standing on the side of the stage and all of their families. Eddie turns around a lot and you see the crowd they way they experience them. The crowd was really into it. I was also watching Duff McKagan from GnR. He was in the front row on the side, right in line with Mike. His wife was so into PJ, she tried to get Ed's wine bottle, but he gave it to a woman next to them. Great time. My only suggestion would be if they are going to take Bruce Springsteen's advice about playing there, use his set up. He puts a ramp in the back so he is standing right in front of the fans there. When they run around playing guitars, his band uses the ramp and he uses it a lot too. I always get tickets to the side/back when he plays there. They say limited view, but they aren't.
  • Options

I have Lodge tickets off to the right for tonight, can anyone who had seats off to the right attest to Mike's guitar level? Was it better up in the seats?

Don't know which "right side" you mean. I was near the front of Loge 1 (a bit closer to stage than the seated floor seats), stone side, just behind 10c seating -- mix was okay. Wish mike was a tad louder, same for vocals. Not bad though.
  • Options
    RH256879 wrote:

Don't know which "right side" you mean. I was near the front of Loge 1 (a bit closer to stage than the seated floor seats), stone side, just behind 10c seating -- mix was okay. Wish mike was a tad louder, same for vocals. Not bad though.
    Right side as in if you are looking ahead at the stage the seated sections to the right of that, Lodge 5 I believe is where I will be tonight!
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    Thanks for playing Release!
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Enkidu wrote:
    I thought last night was amazing. Slightly odd, with Ed's rant and Mike's bloody head, but there were so many highlights - Release and Garden (I love Garden so much) and All or None and I agree with previous posters, that was one of the best versions of Black ever.

My daughter and a friend sat behind the stage kind of behind Mike (they're 16) and they LOVED their view. We had Ticketmaster seats, front row in the Loge and that was great. Fan club tix tonight.

Can't wait for tonight!

That is surreal!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    JF110284 wrote:
    As others have mentioned, playing 7/10 of Ten (w/o Even Flow!) plus Footsteps and SOLAT was a real gift. Garden was particularly great - a slower, weighty version that rivals any I've heard (bootleg collector here).

Actually 8/11 of Ten! Now tonight we need an "Oceans" opener, the first "Deep" of the tour and "Breath." (I can do without "Even Flow" or "Ledbetter.")

I'm also hoping for my first-ever (30+ shows) "Rats," "Satan's Bed" or "Smile." All three would of course blow my mind, but if I get even one I will be thrilled.
  • Options
    A6847A6847 Posts: 2
    So I am the young lady that was thrown out by Eddie Vedder. First off I apologize if I ruined any of your times at the show...that was not my intent. I was helping a twelve year old get to his mom who had gone up a bit earlier. I didnt elbow anyone intentionally...I was pushed from the front by some angry concert goers...also from previous comments as others have stated...I did not punch anyone...I did not kick anyone. I do feel that it is a bit pretentious to feel that in a general admission concert that you can be so upset at another body being in your general area. You paid to be in a general area...not a seat...not a number. Sorry to piss off the lead singer but apparently anger made his songs better afterwards according to many of you. So now you can blow up the board on how big a piece of crap I am but honestly...in the old days...you can remember how a concert was. People would move around and get to the front and there was no drama like there was yesterday. Regardless...thanks to the security guard for being so cool...thanks for the people I did meet and were cool...and thanks for the memories where I get to tell my grandkids I got kicked out of the concert by Eddie Vedder.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    A6847 wrote:
    So I am the young lady that was thrown out by Eddie Vedder. First off I apologize if I ruined any of your times at the show...that was not my intent. I was helping a twelve year old get to his mom who had gone up a bit earlier. I didnt elbow anyone intentionally...I was pushed from the front by some angry concert goers...also from previous comments as others have stated...I did not punch anyone...I did not kick anyone. I do feel that it is a bit pretentious to feel that in a general admission concert that you can be so upset at another body being in your general area. You paid to be in a general area...not a seat...not a number. Sorry to piss off the lead singer but apparently anger made his songs better afterwards according to many of you. So now you can blow up the board on how big a piece of crap I am but honestly...in the old days...you can remember how a concert was. People would move around and get to the front and there was no drama like there was yesterday. Regardless...thanks to the security guard for being so cool...thanks for the people I did meet and were cool...and thanks for the memories where I get to tell my grandkids I got kicked out of the concert by Eddie Vedder.

Zoiks!
    :shock:
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    A6847 wrote:

So that's what was going on down there..thought it may have been a Hell's Angeles type of scenario..ja
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    what kind of mom leaves her 12 year old in a crowd of crazy people to go get closer to a rockstar?
  • Options
    acharding wrote:
    what kind of mom leaves her 12 year old in a crowd of crazy people to go get closer to a rockstar?
    Kids should not be in GA at all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    A6847 wrote:
    People would move around and get to the front and there was no drama like there was yesterday.
    This part sounds like you are just defending a "pushy" and/or shitty concert behavior...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    acharding wrote:
    Kids should not be in GA at all.

True! GA can be rough! I would hate to see any kids get accidentally hurt! I know I personally elbowed someone in the eye in OKC. I didn't mean to and apologized over and over, but it still happened. I would feel terrible if I hurt a kid!
This discussion has been closed.