Options

*** Los Angeles 1 Fanviews Here 11/23/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,923
edited February 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
LA Sports Arena
Los Angeles, CA
Nov. 23, 2013
Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Release
03. Long Road
04. Corduroy
(during the instrumental break of the song Ed sees a disturbance in the pit. He says on mic that there is “a problem down here that we need to get taken care of. Hey young lady, you need to get out now. Now! We will talk about it later but you need to get out.”
After the song Ed has the house lights turned up. He tells the woman again that she needs to “get out! Go watch the show from over there. Anybody else? Yeah you, out. You had a chance to make friends over here and with those people and you blew not get out. Marcel (security) get them out we aren’t fucking around.”)
05. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
06. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Why Go
(Ed has the house lights turned up and asks camera operator “Legs” to get a shot of this young girl. A very young girl being held up by her father is projected on the screens. Ed jokingly asks her if she was the one causing all the problems. He then directs his comments to the people that got moved, “we needed to get things settled and we didn’t have time for a long dispute.” Ed goes onto say that Springsteen convinced the band to play the Sports Arena because you can get the place rocking. “You are proving him right.”)
08. Dissident
09. Getaway-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
10. Got Some
11. Garden
12. Do The Evolution
13. I Got ID
(Ed notes that even though they put out a record they really enjoy and are having a good time playing that “2013 has been a bitch. There have been so many tragedies. And if you don’t think it has been a rough year you might be next.” He talks about Hurricane Sandy and mentions the Hurricane that went through Manilla. He points out Rob, the man who received the check for aid relief at the San Diego show and says they are going to donate money from tonights show to Manilla relief as well. He also thanks the doctors that have been helping people through some very serious situations. He dedicates the next song the them.)
14. Sirens w/ sing along outro-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
15. State Of Love And Trust (for the “myself, myself” in the bridge Ed gives the mic to people in the front who sing the part.)

16. Jeremy

(“I think we can say without offending anyone that we could use a few more gun laws just to make us safer. It is a mental health issue and until we get that sorted out...I could tell it was the people in the back that wanted me to say that (referring to audience members behind the stage) I thought it was just Matt Cameron but it was everybody back there.
This next song has been mistakenly assumed to be about Rob Halford and (?) but it is a real guy named ‘The Leatherman’”.)

17. Leatherman
(“Mike McCready was in the room below and this is how he woke me up this morning”)
18. Eruption-(Van Halen)
19. Spin The Black Circle
20. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed talks about their first big shows and thanks The Red Hot Chili Peppers for taking them under their wing and for Ed he especially thanks Jack Irons without whom he would still be asking people if they need their oil changed or their windows washed.)

21. Yellow Moon-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
22. Footsteps
23. All Or None
24. Come Back
25. I Believe In Miracles-(Ramone, Rey)
26. Given To Fly
27. Once
28. Porch

Encore Break 2
29. Unthought Known
30. Black

(Introduces and talks about long time monitor engineer Karrie Keyes and compliments her for making it sound great on stage)

31. Alive
32. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
33. Indifference

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    Great show, but I'd like to know what that chick did to get Ed so pissed. It changed the whole tone of the night.

P.s. LA traffic sucks!
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited November 2013
    Fantastic show! I will write more when I am not on my phone but the name after Rob Halford before Leatherman Ed mentioned was Al Pacino I believe ;)

Hearing All or None was a real treat (kudos to the girl holding the sign) as well as Release - I hope Ernie was enjoying that one!
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Options
    Great show tonight!
  • Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    edited November 2013
    it was good, even though it was singles heavy, which is typical for LA1. that means tomorrow night will blow tonight away, gotta find some tickets! PM if you have a pair, thanks!

p.s. Garden was dedicated to Tim Robbins. Thanks Tim! No Even Flow tonight! 34 shows still no Oceans :(
    Post edited by pjfansinceten on
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    RH256879RH256879 Posts: 21
    edited November 2013
    Kicking the person out definitely changed the whole mood.

Another guy got booted later, and the dude who danced onstage with Ev snuck up there and was going to get clobbered before Ev stopped security. Then Ev checked him for weapons, pulled out something I couldn't see, then danced w him. Was surprising Ev was in that kinda mood after being so pissed at fan earlier.

Good energy in crowd. Show had an interesting flow, definitely felt great in the last third of the show.

Solat absolutely ripped.
    Post edited by RH256879 on
  • Options
    I thought this one of the best shows I've ever seen. Better than Thursday and that is saying something. And my fan club number is around 70XXX so I didn't start seeing shows last year, if you know what I mean. :)

The main set was great, the encores went to an entirely different level. Every minute of the encores was special.

The version of Black was so off the charts stunning, words cannot do it justice. If there has ever been a better version of Black played, I need to hear it. The entire show the band was on fire. I think the incident during Corduroy if anything only served to fire Ed up.

All or None...WOW. But it was the entire mix of songs. Jeremy was fabulous but then you also get Garden and Leatherman and the new stuff sounds great. Loved Yellow Moon. Release, I Got Shit, Dissident...all fantastic.

Just absolutely a fabulous night.
  • Options
    Nice show. Did mike gash his head at one point?
  • Options
    Acesn8sAcesn8s Posts: 186
    I saw that too. He had a cut over his left eye at one point and was bleeding a little bit. Wow! What a show. Simply amazing. After EV starting yelling at that chick I told my wife, "We are gonna get angry eddy tonight" and I was right. The main set was so full of energy and it didn't let up! Amazing show. Can't wait for tomorrow night. Peace.
    Indio, CA 11-05-93
    Universal City, CA 09-30-09
    Los Angeles, CA 11-23-13
    Los Angeles, CA 11-24-13
  • Options
    Hey Mookie, yes, Mike got clobbered by one of those lights that was swinging and he cut his forehead.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Great show that reminded me of Phoenix in many ways. So cool to hear Garden and All or None, the only two I had yet to hear tonight. Even still, crazy fun even after Eddie got SO mad at the woman in the crowd. He just had the most fierce look in his eye the whole time. Shooting daggers her way!

Really cool to see the little girl get the harmonica and then her and her dad making it over the rail.

Looking forward to an amazing final night of my tour tomorrow. Here's hoping Oceans gets played and Ten is done!

Such a whirlwind day!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    is it just me or does it seem to go everywhere in la that is more than 4 or 5 miles away you have to take the freeway? and everytime it bumper to bumper traffic :fp:
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    I don't think he cut his head on the light. The cut was before the light hit him I think. Awesome show!
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    is it just me or does it seem to go everywhere in la that is more than 4 or 5 miles away you have to take the freeway? and everytime it bumper to bumper traffic :fp:

You don't have to take the freeway. Learn how to take the streets. L.A. traffic is not that bad if you know your way around. And you can go Metro to the Sports Arena now!

Great show tonight. It was a not set chock full of rarities, but it sounded so good. This was my 51st show and it was only the 4th time I've heard them play "Garden."

I noticed Mike's head bleeding as he ran by me during the second encore. (I was in the second row on the side, and Mike did a circuit.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    I will never tire of seeing the GA pit pogo to Given To Fly. Keep it up folks!

Ed took the words right out of my mouth... 2013 has been a bitch. Here's to Holding On.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Incredible show. Crowd had tons of energy and were much more into the news songs than the crowds in Pitt and Buffalo.

Lots of songs from Ten tonight and All or None was a nice surprise. Does anyone know what they cut from the setlist for it?

Can't wait for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Bravo LA, that was your best show as a crowd. I've been to every LA show since '98 and have never seen you like this. The best part is the band rewarded us.
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    edited November 2013
    So happy to have heard "Alone or None" one of my personal favorites! And "Pendulum,Release, and "Long Road" super emotional for the first three songs, loved it! I really really hope the play "Deep" or "Wishlist."

I was in the nosebleed section. Most of the people up there had zero energy or were some kind of new age hipsters that thought it would be cool to go to PJ show so they could talk about it to their other hipster friends….or something…but for night 2 I'll be on the floor, which I'm super stoked for!

First time I've seen Ed legit angry at someone, it will be interesting to get some more stories from what exactly happened.

Gotta say MYM was my other fav from the night, it was intense. Maybe it was the crowd incident but they burned through that song. It was in true Dead Kennedys punk fashion.
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    bhammbhamm Posts: 3
    My first post here, but not my first PJ show but it was my wife's first show.

High energy show all around and a real variety. As said, All or None was a real treat. I missed calling the opener, Release, by one with some people I met. Wish I had tix for tomorrow/today, work would suck Monday but it'd be totally worth it.

The commotion at the beginning set the tone, like others have said but not entirely IMO. Have said that the forum '06 show was the best concert I've ever seen and I'm sure it just got topped.
  • Options
    after flying out from MN to attend, i can say it was well worth it. finally hearing footsteps sadly wasn't the highlight of my night (it was second), but after countless shows i finally got to hear garden, thus completing the entire ten album for me...

i don't know if I'm saying this because its my most recent memory, but this show rates up there with on of the best I've ever seen, then encores were amazing, and although its gonna be real tough, can't wait to see if tomorrow night tops it!!!
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    1. It was AL Pacino and Rob Halford.
    2. The Johnny Depp lookalike who ran on stage got frisked by Ed, and then Ed took his cell phone and danced with him. On that note...
    3. The girl on the rail mentioned above (who got kicked out )as another example, there were some major douchebags in the crowd tonight.
    4. There were also some really awesome people too.
    5. Black. One the best I've heard, hands down.
    6. Celebrity sighting: that curly haired dude from that shitty TBS sitcom "Men At Work."
    7.Angelinos vastly exaggerate their traffic woes and how "cold" it is. :lol:

Been so great so far...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    Fun show again. Not sure about Mike getting his head cut by a globe, but he did get hit by one from behind while ducking another. Ed leaned up above the rail during Once. He cleared his throat between lyrics and went to spit/hock a loog as he's known to do on stage. He shoots it out and realizes mid spitting that, oh yeah, there's all the fans right below me right now, haha, he reaches out to swipe at it mid air as if to take it back, but it just goes all over the fans below him, and he makes a funny Oops look smile right after. He also tossed his wine bottle 20+ feet into the crowd to tim Robbins who snagged it on the fly! And yes, Mike's solo during Black again was out of this world unbelievable. After Ed patted down the fan who crashed the stage, he pulled his phone out of the fan's front right pocket and put it in his shirt. Then did his usual slow dance thing as he's done a few times before with stage crashers. (I think I saw him do the same at the San Bernadino show in 2000 at Glen Hellen Pavilion).
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    Epic night and I have to thank the 10c for allowing me to go. I was supposed to be out of town and didn't bother getting tickets. That changed on Friday so I made a mad rush. I got one ticket tonight and 2 for tomorrow night. Not only is PJ the absolute best to their fans, we 10c members take care of each other. Now on to the show:

The show was seriously 10 based with Release, Why Go, Garden, Jeremy, Footsteps, Once, Porch, Black and Alive. All we needed was Even Flow,and Oceans!

Overall I loved the show. It make me even more excited to see them again tonight with a friend who has NEVER seen them live!

Best live band on the planet!!!

Thought?

Ps. How great was it to see ED on a swing from the drum riser to the front of the stage, or when McCready dropped down to miss one of those lights!!? Maybe he go cut there!!\

I hope to see a ton of you tonight! Where is the pre-game at?

Peace,

Vince

One last, final thought. I am dying to hear Off He Goes and Nothingman!!!! Seriously! I would die to see those 2 live. After 4 + years of me being sick and going through 7 operations, is that too much to ask? I pray to the stick man that he can make that happen! Cheers and I will see as many as I can of you tomorrow!
  • Options
    Last show of the tour for me and a great one to go out on. Great set list and as has been said already the crowd was really fucking awesome tonight. Not something I usually notice or care about but the crowd was really into every song. Pretty sure every single person sang the "Teenage Wasteland" part of Baba.

Sad to not be seeing them again until they hit the road next time, but it was an amazing several months (since Wrigley) following them around to various places.

Worth every penny every time. Love this band.
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    Uglyman wrote:
    Bravo LA, that was your best show as a crowd. I've been to every LA show since '98 and have never seen you like this. The best part is the band rewarded us.

Been to Every LA show since 2000 and agree best LA crowd ever!
    Set list was truly great but the band was a little sloppy around the edges. However, the sheer power and emotion when Eddie got pissed off set the tone of the show making this one of the most memorable in the hundreds of rock concerts I have attended. No way they match this tomorrow.
  • Options
    I was not planning on going tonight, since I have 10C reserved tix for LA2. This afternoon, I heard from a friend who had a pair of nosebleed seats they needed to sell. The wife and I loved the show, despite the yakkers in the crowd. She has seen PJ way more times than I have, going back to '91, and she said they were just on fire at LA1. Can't wait to go back for LA2.

I'm curious for those with 10C reserved tix, how was the view? Were you all in the same section? How was the will call process? I am wondering what time I should show up on Sunday...
  • Options
    misterbee wrote:
    I was not planning on going tonight, since I have 10C reserved tix for LA2. This afternoon, I heard from a friend who had a pair of nosebleed seats they needed to sell. The wife and I loved the show, despite the yakkers in the crowd. She has seen PJ way more times than I have, going back to '91, and she said they were just on fire at LA1. Can't wait to go back for LA2.

I'm curious for those with 10C reserved tix, how was the view? Were you all in the same section? How was the will call process? I am wondering what time I should show up on Sunday...

10c reserved seats are assigned by seniority and depends on your number. Much of the lower level and back floor sections are for 10c members. If you have a low number, you will be near the stage (my number is super low and I was about ten feet from the stage in SD) and the higher your number is the further back you will be.
  • Options
    Amazing f'en show. the crowd was on fire. footsteps, unthought known, all or none, and I got shit. Some of my personal favorites and they killed it. I just need them to play better man/save it for later tomorrow night.
    Not sure if tomorrow night can top tonights crowd but hopefully we can.
    Good night faithful.
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprised at all of the gushing, I wasn't particularly blown away by the show tonight. San Diego this past Thursday set a bar that I knew wouldn't be reached, but I thought that perhaps being a lot closer in GA tonight might add something special.

Aside from Footsteps the first encore wasn't all that great to me, especially when you compare it to Phoenix. Maybe I'm just jaded, I thought the show was quite good but not great. But we all know that when a band plays 2 nights in a town that the second night's setlist is ALWAYS better...so here's to looking forward to tomorrow!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Luckytwn1 wrote:
    The version of Black was so off the charts stunning, words cannot do it justice. If there has ever been a better version of Black played, I need to hear it. The entire show the band was on fire. I think the incident during Corduroy if anything only served to fire Ed up.

Wasn't in LA last night, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaNbXrmVWPo

:)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
This discussion has been closed.