Options

Eddie Vedder Review

124»

Comments

• Options
    mandalinamandalina Posts: 76
    From what I’m reading they need to post a sign outside the venue that says no picture taking and if you are caught taking a picture you will be ejected. PERIOD.

It was well established before hand that it is the request of the artist and if you can’t respect that, then you don’t deserve to be there.

There were signs EVERYWHERE saying that, that's the thing! And they announced it in the lobby before the show. I think that last night just came down to the fact that the fans were a tad selfish..."Eddie, notice me!" "Eddie, stand still for this picture!" "Eddie, tell the security to stop using the aisles!"

Honestly.

When you go into a venue that's smaller than 2,000 people, you are entering into a relationship with the person on stage. You allow them to do their job and they will do it well. The crowd didn't have to be mellow, they just needed to understand when it was Eddie's turn to talk, or play...when he says he needs to be able to hear himself play the guitar, don't scream as soon as he picks it up again.

(This all said, I hope that people who are going to the shows don't dwell on what they hear about the crowds - it was by no means the thing I will remember from the night. Go, have the absolute time of your life - because you will. Maybe if we discuss the problems then things will get better for the rest of the tour :) )
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    sorry but camera's are just a part of the modern world now, deal with it.
    when you are famous then you'll have that stuff...
    dont get me wrong, but i the new policy is bullshit.
    ed did the same thing when he was young, did he forgot?

Maybe you're not realizing how bad this can get at a solo performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lNNP20w_dgQ&feature=related

You think you could continue to play with this shit going on all night? I couldn't.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    andydick8 wrote:
    People are retards.

The most ridiculous comment I heard in my entire life was tonight.
    "Um, mister Vedder. The security guards are walking up the isles and their lights are very dustracting"

Who says that? honestly??

To his credit, he handled it quite well, I thought.

you should of punched him in the stomach
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Igottago wrote:
    Well its the most fitting word I could use to describe many of the people who ruined this show.

What about rude?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I have to be honest here...

a few years ago I went to one of the foo fighter acoustic theatre shows (san diego).

I couldn't believe how quiet and respectful the audience was.

It kills me when ed tries to play quiet and morons scream all the way through it.

to people who have done that or are compelled to do that I say this...

I am really sorry that you don't get the attention in your daily life that you desperately need. Clearly, yelling out during a song is your way of saying "look at me". Please be respectful to the artist and be quiet during a song.

please don't let foo fighter fans be better fans than PJ fans.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334

You think you could continue to play with this shit going on all night? I couldn't.
    i totally see what people are saying here... eds preset at the vic was a little ruined for me by the flashes (which he put an end to pretty quick) and the stupid shouting... quit shouting fuckin requests... its a preset... he clearly already knows what hes going to play... its one thing with the whole band up there because sometimes theyre inclined to listen... and the "i love you eddie" stuff is annoying too... say it at the beginning if you must then just cheer and applaude after songs... sing along if you know how to sing :)
    I have to be honest here...

a few years ago I went to one of the foo fighter acoustic theatre shows (san diego).

I couldn't believe how quiet and respectful the audience was.
    pretty surprising that foo fans (whom i generally consider significantly less cultured and mature) can be more respectful than ed/PJ fans... i hope we see an improvement with the rest of the crowds... dont hesitate to tell the people around you to shut the hell up
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256

Agree..agree..
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    sgossard3 wrote:
    sorry you didnt catch my sarcasm...

sounds cute!

It is sometimes hard to catch sarcasm on the screen. But if you know who is saying it, than you know what is written between the lines...

Just saying, I caught your sarcasm ;)

p.s. Liked reading this thread! Although I even felt annoyed about those ppl shouting ...from my chair behind my comp on the other side of the ocean about 9 hours ahead in time of Vancouver....mind you!! People please be good and let Ed sing! Maybe Ed should wear a shirt saying "Let me sing!", or "Shut the fuck up" next time :p
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    mandalina wrote:
    That was SO frustrating, considering how people were treating security. They were just doing their job, and SO many people brought cameras and stuff...then they have the nerve to yell to Eddie to get the security guards out of the aisles??

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I have to echo the sentiment in regards to the crowd. People just didn't realise where they were; yes, we can hear you when you are talking during the song, and yes, so can Eddie. It seemed like he was getting a bit flustered by all the shouts, etc, by the middle of the show.

That said I thought the show was absolutely amazing...I was so ridiculously moved, and I didn't expect to be. Ed's on top of his game in terms of playing, and his voice...yeah he screwed up lyrics, but we had to see that coming :) The setlist was perfect, you can tell he's a master at creating a show...and Liam Finn! Holy crap.

plus it was ed plus the 10club that decided on what security was going to come down on. if you got hassled for taking pics you brought it on yourself.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    GameJerkGameJerk Posts: 46
    Igottago wrote:
    OK..now for my review a.k.a the truth (from the other thread):

Just got home from the show..Ed was good..crowd sucked ass. People ruined the fucking show tonight by being useless loudmouth retards. What part of a small theatre show do people not understand? This is not a fucking football game, we don't need to hear all your useless fucking comments shouted out after every chord progression...Dead Man is not a song to stand up and pump your fist to, and yell and scream during the verses. Retards I swear...Ed will never pull off a decent solo set because most people there are fucking retarded and don't understand the concept of atmosphere, mood, MUSIC, and shutting the fuck up for once.

Oh yeah, and the guy with the long hair setting up the guitars in the white labcoat is not Eddie Vedder you stupid imbecels...no need to get overly excited about that part.

I have no complaints about the music, or Ed..the sound was fantastic, as this venue is amazing for that type of intimate setting...unforutunately most apes there were too busy yelling out stupid shit to realize that. Do we really need to hear you cheer after each line of a song? I was really hoping for an "unplugged" type atmosphere...if it was like that, could have been a great show. But the people fucking ruined it.

To give Ed credit it seemed he gave up on trying to have an intimate show and made the show a bit funner at the end...he knew he couldn't compete with the retarded crowd this night.

That pretty much sums up my experience tonight.

So if I can ask anything, please get your yelling and screaming and dumb ass comments out before the show so people can actually get into and enjoy the music.

I'm going to the LA show which is the land of the douchebags. So i'm going in expecting it to be full of meatheads. It also will be full of celebrities and other rich pricks who go because it is the "in" thing to go to. Also they are the only ones who could afford it since a lot of the tickets went up to crazy prices due to scalpers. I am positive I will have a good time regardless of any extraneous variables that I have no control over.
  • Options
    GameJerkGameJerk Posts: 46
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I can't believe Foos sucked for you. They were really good at Oakland when I saw them couple of months ago.

Did you happen to catch the opening act "Hello Stranger" at the Oakland show? They are a local LA band and i'm quite enamored with them :)
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    This is too weird. When I heard Ed was doing this tour, I said, I wish him better luck than Neil. And I thought he'd have it! Neil did a show at the Beacon Theater in New York about 16 or 17 years ago that was billed, in clear black and white, as a "solo, acoustic performance." The crowd was one asshole after another, who thought they were there to hear Crazy Horse play All Along The Watchtower. They had the bar open in the lobby throughout, and these idiots kept running in and out like kids whose parents went away for the weekend and left the liquor cabinet open. You mix drunk with stupid and holy shit. It got so bad that a couple of them up front actually got into an argument with NEIL. While he was playing Sugar Mountain, they started booing and catcalling him. So he stopped the song and said, then what do you want to hear? "Duh, Rockin' in the Free World, man!!" It was a NIGHTMARE.

I wonder who Eddie's first call was to after the show? This show sounds like a dream, I wish all of you who are lucky enough to be going a better crowd experience than that, it is truly awful to have a beautiful experience disturbed and disrupted by pinheads who just don't get it -- but it's a sign of the times -- they think it's all about THEM!
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,570
    MrsOakley wrote:
    This is too weird. When I heard Ed was doing this tour, I said, I wish him better luck than Neil. And I thought he'd have it! Neil did a show at the Beacon Theater in New York about 16 or 17 years ago that was billed, in clear black and white, as a "solo, acoustic performance." The crowd was one asshole after another, who thought they were there to hear Crazy Horse play All Along The Watchtower. They had the bar open in the lobby throughout, and these idiots kept running in and out like kids whose parents went away for the weekend and left the liquor cabinet open. You mix drunk with stupid and holy shit. It got so bad that a couple of them up front actually got into an argument with NEIL. While he was playing Sugar Mountain, they started booing and catcalling him. So he stopped the song and said, then what do you want to hear? "Duh, Rockin' in the Free World, man!!" It was a NIGHTMARE.

I wonder who Eddie's first call was to after the show? This show sounds like a dream, I wish all of you who are lucky enough to be going a better crowd experience than that, it is truly awful to have a beautiful experience disturbed and disrupted by pinheads who just don't get it -- but it's a sign of the times -- they think it's all about THEM!

It's Generation Y, I tell you.

Seriously, though, yeah, I am really looking forward to it. I hope Santa Barbara and LA are respectful, but I am a little worried now. Some people just can't tell the difference between an intimate show and an arena rock show.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    MrsOakley wrote:
    This show sounds like a dream, I wish all of you who are lucky enough to be going a better crowd experience than that, it is truly awful to have a beautiful experience disturbed and disrupted by pinheads who just don't get it -- but it's a sign of the times -- they think it's all about THEM!

You know people who get all bent out of shape of the crowd are just being meatheads themselves, like yeah it sucks and people who scream stupid shit during intimate moments are boneheads but reallly what can you do ? if you let it bother you youre just ruining the show for yourself because youre distracted cuz some idiot is bitching about security doing their job or yelling for Release or Yellow Ledbetter.

It bugs me too but I ignored it and enjoyed myslef regardless, there were so many beautiful moments, Picture in a frame is an amazing cover, i teared up a little at the end of Goodbye, Porch with just Ed and an acoustic was a dream come true, Society with Liam Finn was unreal, Ed was animated and funny all night, you could tell he was seriously nervous when he screwed up Guaranteed and subsequently No Ceiling ( i believe) i could go on and on and on

also mega props to Liam Finn, the boy has music in his blood and played his guitar and drum kit like a ten year old kid on Christmas morning who just got them, so much youthful enthusiasm.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    mandalinamandalina Posts: 76
    You know people who get all bent out of shape of the crowd are just being meatheads themselves, like yeah it sucks and people who scream stupid shit during intimate moments are boneheads but reallly what can you do ? if you let it bother you youre just ruining the show for yourself because youre distracted cuz some idiot is bitching about security doing their job or yelling for Release or Yellow Ledbetter.

It bugs me too but I ignored it and enjoyed myslef regardless, there were so many beautiful moments, Picture in a frame is an amazing cover, i teared up a little at the end of Goodbye, Porch with just Ed and an acoustic was a dream come true, Society with Liam Finn was unreal, Ed was animated and funny all night, you could tell he was seriously nervous when he screwed up Guaranteed and subsequently No Ceiling ( i believe) i could go on and on and on

also mega props to Liam Finn, the boy has music in his blood and played his guitar and drum kit like a ten year old kid on Christmas morning who just got them, so much youthful enthusiasm.

I think that's what a lot of us are saying though...it certainly didn't ruin my night, at all, it was just unfortunate and I hope it doesn't continue throughout the tour.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    nfanel wrote:
    maybe ed can try this approach. :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos
    :cool:
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    The crowd wasn't great. I was also annoyed by the yellers, but I also was a bit put off by the crowd that they didn't seem to into it either. A bit painful actually. I just noticed that there were very few people singing along or bobbing heads, tapping feet or showing any vital signs.

I agree that this is not a "rock concert" but when he broke into Porch, that is my go ahead to jump to my feet and rock out. Sadly only about 5 people agreed with me and I think I annoyed people behind me but it was PORCH!!! Plus it also ended the set. If it is wrong to rock out to Porch then I don't know when would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Igottago wrote:
    OK..now for my review a.k.a the truth (from the other thread):

Just got home from the show..Ed was good..crowd sucked ass. People ruined the fucking show tonight by being useless loudmouth retards. What part of a small theatre show do people not understand? This is not a fucking football game, we don't need to hear all your useless fucking comments shouted out after every chord progression...Dead Man is not a song to stand up and pump your fist to, and yell and scream during the verses. Retards I swear...Ed will never pull off a decent solo set because most people there are fucking retarded and don't understand the concept of atmosphere, mood, MUSIC, and shutting the fuck up for once.

Oh yeah, and the guy with the long hair setting up the guitars in the white labcoat is not Eddie Vedder you stupid imbecels...no need to get overly excited about that part.

I have no complaints about the music, or Ed..the sound was fantastic, as this venue is amazing for that type of intimate setting...unforutunately most apes there were too busy yelling out stupid shit to realize that. Do we really need to hear you cheer after each line of a song? I was really hoping for an "unplugged" type atmosphere...if it was like that, could have been a great show. But the people fucking ruined it.

To give Ed credit it seemed he gave up on trying to have an intimate show and made the show a bit funner at the end...he knew he couldn't compete with the retarded crowd this night.

That pretty much sums up my experience tonight.

So if I can ask anything, please get your yelling and screaming and dumb ass comments out before the show so people can actually get into and enjoy the music.

i know what you mean, man. it seams like there's always at least one blithering idiot who nearly ruins the whole experience. recently, i saw the smashing pumpkins, and the two guys in front of me, with their constant supply of expensively priced cheap beer, were dancing like fucking apes and the more obnoxious one of the two kept screaming out completely asinine bullshit - i swear on at least three occasions he belted out "SMASH MY PUMPKIN!" i wish i could have answered his request, but they have laws against that.

and yet, i still can't wait to go to shows.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    sourdough wrote:
    The crowd wasn't great. I was also annoyed by the yellers, but I also was a bit put off by the crowd that they didn't seem to into it either. A bit painful actually. I just noticed that there were very few people singing along or bobbing heads, tapping feet or showing any vital signs.

I agree that this is not a "rock concert" but when he broke into Porch, that is my go ahead to jump to my feet and rock out. Sadly only about 5 people agreed with me and I think I annoyed people behind me but it was PORCH!!! Plus it also ended the set. If it is wrong to rock out to Porch then I don't know when would be more appropriate.

it never wrong to rock out. there has to be a happy median.
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Well, as long as people have the shows they've been to in their signatures, I guess it will never change. YOu know because, that's how your level of devotion to the band is measured. With the digits of your membership no and how many shows you've been to.
    What membership's?
    Mahalo Mike..3/1/91, 5/25/91, 8/29/91, 1/3/92, 1/17/92, 7/22/92, 9/20/92, 10/25/93, 12/7-9/93, 2/5-6/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/6-7/95, 10/20/96, 7/10-11/98, 7/13-14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24-25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2-3/03, 6/5-6/03, 7/6-7/06, 7/9-10/06, 7/12-13/06, 7/16/06, 7/22/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06.
  • Options
    babagigu wrote:
    She was even wearing a PJ sweaty.

I was standing in line behind them with her and her dad before the show.

I told her that she has the coolest dad ever because he's taking her to such a cool show.

Her dad said that shes seen Pearl Jam 3 times already!
    I told her that when shes 18 and she tells boys that she has seen Pearl Jam that many times that they will be really jealous.
  • Options
    janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    GameJerk wrote:
    I'm going to the LA show which is the land of the douchebags. So i'm going in expecting it to be full of meatheads. It also will be full of celebrities and other rich pricks who go because it is the "in" thing to go to. Also they are the only ones who could afford it since a lot of the tickets went up to crazy prices due to scalpers. I am positive I will have a good time regardless of any extraneous variables that I have no control over.

Here's an idea. If Los Angeles is so awful, don't come here.

I love people who complain about how "fake" Los Angeles is. Like most places, the city is what you make it. Try hanging out in some areas outside of your safety zone & see if you still complain.

Oh and just an FYI - 2% of the Los Angeles population works in the entertainment industry. Even fewer than that are celebrities. But yah. EVERYONE'S a celebrity and EVERYONE'S a meathead. Seriously, grow up.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    andydick8 wrote:
    Someone up in the balcony yelled out "Shut up and sing" while he was talking.
    Personally, I like it when Ed just hangs out and talks with crowd. I find it more memorable than most songs.

But everything that was said about the crowd so far has been spot on. I rank it my second worst "Pearl Jam" show that I've been too. (if you classify it as a Pearl Jam show) Ahead of only Boston I 04, but that's a whole different thread...

He should tell the audience before he plays the first song to shut the fuck up like Bruce did on the Tom Joad tour.