Options

Eddie Vedder Review

Comments

• Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    ooh man wow....now i'm so psyched for the show tonight as if i wasn't enough already....:D

i only hope that he decides to play trouble again tonight...that song mean so much to me...but then again any song he plays is going to be great :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    70 posts and NO setlist?

What's going on out there in Vancouver? ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    olikatieolikatie Posts: 62
    the setlist is on the Red Mosquito forum
    1996: Zürich - 2000: Zürich - 2006: Marseille, Paris & Berne
  • Options
    andydick8 wrote:
    Someone up in the balcony yelled out "Shut up and sing" while he was talking.

i fucking hate the idiots who do this,i swear I'm going to get in a scuffle @ a show over this one day!
  • Options
    mandalina wrote:

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I have to echo the sentiment in regards to the crowd. People just didn't realise where they were; yes, we can hear you when you are talking during the song, and yes, so can Eddie. It seemed like he was getting a bit flustered by all the shouts, etc, by the middle of the show.

some people just don't have any class.nothing worse than a loud mouth dick head to ruin your show/night.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Igottago wrote:
    OK..now for my review a.k.a the truth (from the other thread):

Just got home from the show..Ed was good..crowd sucked ass. People ruined the fucking show tonight by being useless loudmouth retards. What part of a small theatre show do people not understand? This is not a fucking football game, we don't need to hear all your useless fucking comments shouted out after every chord progression...Dead Man is not a song to stand up and pump your fist to, and yell and scream during the verses. Retards I swear...Ed will never pull off a decent solo set because most people there are fucking retarded and don't understand the concept of atmosphere, mood, MUSIC, and shutting the fuck up for once.

Oh yeah, and the guy with the long hair setting up the guitars in the white labcoat is not Eddie Vedder you stupid imbecels...no need to get overly excited about that part.

I have no complaints about the music, or Ed..the sound was fantastic, as this venue is amazing for that type of intimate setting...unforutunately most apes there were too busy yelling out stupid shit to realize that. Do we really need to hear you cheer after each line of a song? I was really hoping for an "unplugged" type atmosphere...if it was like that, could have been a great show. But the people fucking ruined it.

To give Ed credit it seemed he gave up on trying to have an intimate show and made the show a bit funner at the end...he knew he couldn't compete with the retarded crowd this night.

That pretty much sums up my experience tonight.

So if I can ask anything, please get your yelling and screaming and dumb ass comments out before the show so people can actually get into and enjoy the music.

that really blows. That happens alot at regular PJ shows too, it really does take away from your experience - someone yelling or screaming the whole time you're trying to really get into the performance.

I'm sorry you guys had to deal with idiots last night.

If this continues throughout the Ed solo tour, look for it to be his last because I'm sure he was looking for the exact atmosphere you were.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Unfortunately, you can never instill manners in an audience. Rowdiness goes with the territory of the live performance - even the acoustic, intimate gig - these days. I blame all the addititives in peoples' food, giving them all ADD. Not to mention the fact that they can't handle their beer. I'm sure the healthy, veggie Californians will be much more relaxed.

Ed's seasoned enough a performer to deal with a couple of rowdies, I'm sure.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    About the securty comment, I actually liked the fact that eddie listened to the guy and asked security to lay off a bit. There was a guy in front of me, who took some pics without the flash and security made him delete them all. The security people would run over and stick their hand in front of the camera, I know there are rules, but it was just uncalled for.

overall....best show ive been too, which doesnt say much to those who have been to tons, but it was amazing, cant wait to do it again tomorrow night!

Ed's rule was no cameras or cell phones.

The security was told no cameras or cell phones.

The security stopped everyone using cameras or cell phones.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE PROBLEM???

They could have been kicking people the fuck out, not erasing pics.

If fucking idiots listened to the rules there wouldn't be security running all over the place.
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Igottago wrote:
    OK..now for my review a.k.a the truth (from the other thread):

Just got home from the show..Ed was good..crowd sucked ass. People ruined the fucking show tonight by being useless loudmouth retards. What part of a small theatre show do people not understand? This is not a fucking football game, we don't need to hear all your useless fucking comments shouted out after every chord progression...Dead Man is not a song to stand up and pump your fist to, and yell and scream during the verses. Retards I swear...Ed will never pull off a decent solo set because most people there are fucking retarded and don't understand the concept of atmosphere, mood, MUSIC, and shutting the fuck up for once.

Oh yeah, and the guy with the long hair setting up the guitars in the white labcoat is not Eddie Vedder you stupid imbecels...no need to get overly excited about that part.

I have no complaints about the music, or Ed..the sound was fantastic, as this venue is amazing for that type of intimate setting...unforutunately most apes there were too busy yelling out stupid shit to realize that. Do we really need to hear you cheer after each line of a song? I was really hoping for an "unplugged" type atmosphere...if it was like that, could have been a great show. But the people fucking ruined it.

To give Ed credit it seemed he gave up on trying to have an intimate show and made the show a bit funner at the end...he knew he couldn't compete with the retarded crowd this night.

That pretty much sums up my experience tonight.

So if I can ask anything, please get your yelling and screaming and dumb ass comments out before the show so people can actually get into and enjoy the music.

SCARY. I am flying from Philly to Santa Cruz to see this show, and I am hoping it was just those "Damn Canucks" acting like "New Jersians" at that show!!!
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    thank you for the review...I have been to a few Ed solo shows and even PJ shows where it is supposed to be intimate and ass holes shout out...hopefully is still a good night..peace
    maybe ed can try this approach. :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    andydick8 wrote:
    Someone up in the balcony yelled out "Shut up and sing" while he was talking.

i was thinking, this worked as a friendly fire? but now i think was nothing friendly...it´s a intimate show, not "wild" show.
    I read this in one review of canadian´s website: "Vedder appears far more levelheaded. He admonished the audience's adulation when they wildly applauded a complete screwup in a song, telling them, "Don't do that. It promotes bad behaviour." No one cared. He had a standing ovation just walking on the stage". Ovation just walking on the stage?
    I wish the next shows will be better. He deserves it. And the fans too.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Very disappointing :( I am so shocked at all these stories about the crowd :( Any true fan would've known how to behave at such a special show.
    Although some of you have said that Ed handled it well.....I would say he'd be very disappointed, too.

Shame on those of you who behaved so selfishly !! :mad:
    What can you expect from drunken Canadians; every show in Vancouver I have been too has been full of drunk assholes.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I like how many times this guy uses the word "Retard", it's an under appreciated word in my opinion.

hahaha me too! i always say it. one day at worked I slammed my phone and said "RETARD" really loud and my boss walked in my office and said "yo....cynthia, try not to use that word, you night offend someone - say fucking asshiole instead" lol

thanks for the reviews and pics. i really hope the san diego crowd is not like this.

that lighter is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I hope everyone will have a good time tonight.

I'm sorry to read that some folks didn't have good experience last night.

Hopefully this is just temporarily since it's a new thing for EV and the fans... hopefully, it'll smooth things out as time goes on.

I'd hate to see it be the end of EV solo tour. :S
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    i fucking hate the idiots who do this,i swear I'm going to get in a scuffle @ a show over this one day!

ahhhh yes. it is a big pet peeve of mine. so rude. lately ed has handled it well. i give him credit.
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    I'd hate to see it be the end of EV solo tour. :S[/quote]

Me too..I hope he has a great tour. You are right, it´s a new thing for everybody, needs time to tune.
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    Igottago wrote:
    To be honest, I wish security did kick some people out...did you notice how many cell phones and cameras came out after Ed told them to back off? Everyone in the place was flashing it up...another way to ruin atmosphere..

The initial rules were there for a reason, and that all went out the window.

sorry but camera's are just a part of the modern world now, deal with it.
    when you are famous then you'll have that stuff...
    dont get me wrong, but i the new policy is bullshit.
    ed did the same thing when he was young, did he forgot?

but i do believe i can ruin the atmosphere... so i wouldt take pic's at his solo show, and actualy i never took pics at a pj show because so many people will take some. shouting and making noise at a solo show is anoying. Its all about respect.
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    that's really such a shame about the crowd yelling like that. what is the point of it? why do people do it? Do they just want to get noticed by the performer? It reminds me of when Kramer saw a celebrity in dinky donuts and started making yelping noises to get his attention. sheesh.
  • Options
    yielder wrote:
    sorry but camera's are just a part of the modern world now, deal with it.
    when you are famous then you'll have that stuff...
    dont get me wrong, but i the new policy is bullshit.
    ed did the same thing when he was young, did he forgot?

but i do believe i can ruin the atmosphere... so i wouldt take pic's at his solo show, and actualy i never took pics at a pj show because so many people will take some. shouting and making noise at a solo show is anoying. Its all about respect.

Right there is what it's really all about. :)

I, too, never take pictures at any of the 14 shows I've been to.

I understand it's part of the show but when they tell us the policy on cameras/taping and people not following...that is disrespectful. :(

If the security didn't kick people out, it would only encourage others to do what wasn't allowed.

If people see security kicking people out because of taking pictures to enforce the policy, it would have effect on others to think twice.

Ah well, it's good to know EV handled it pretty well and I've noticed and also from what others have said, he does take notice of people who do respect him. :)

Better to put energy into that and you can only hope it would spread like wildfire! :D

Here's to hoping to more reviews like Mrs.Vedder78 tomorrow!

VEDHEAD27 will also take care of that as well! :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 827
    I'm sure all of us southerners are really enjoying all the bitching about the concert.....get over it and be glad you got a pj/ev concert.
  • Options
    that's really such a shame about the crowd yelling like that. what is the point of it? why do people do it? Do they just want to get noticed by the performer? It reminds me of when Kramer saw a celebrity in dinky donuts and started making yelping noises to get his attention. sheesh.
    I believe that was Joe DiMaggio
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,576
    Sounds like it was just a few people who have a hard time distinguishing a big rock concert from an intimate show like this. I am confident that this will get better as people get used to it.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,526
    rhinomagic wrote:
    70 posts and NO setlist?

What's going on out there in Vancouver? ;)

I agree. So okay, the set list is somewhere else, we're not in that thread right now. NOBODY COULDN'T JUST LIST THE DAMN SONGS? You could've commented on how they were, one by one.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 691
    A favorite part for me was the story about the old Butthole Surfers shirt he was wearing. This is the shirt you see him in in a few of the old 10 era promo photos. He was saying how he liked it because it said "surfer" down the middle, but when he saw the photos in magazines later all you could see was the giant "BUTTHOLE" written along the side!

It was great to hear No More live in person. Gorgeous song and very moving. Ed was trying desperately to get the crowd to sing "No More" at the end but there was only a few takers. I got the feeling people felt self-concious belting out that one. Drifting with the harmonica sounded great, and Society with Liam Finn was also a highlight for me. And of course the finale...great way to end the show!!

Like a bunch of other people have mentioned, get there early for Liam Finn!
    Wow!!

And the crowd...almost ruined for me, but after about 6 songs I noticed it dropped off a bit. There was still the odd drunken moron shouting like an idiot and interupting Ed's stories, but it did get better. Props to Ed for going with it.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,526
    Here it is:

Walking the Cow
    Around the Bend
    I Am Mine
    Dead Man
    MOTH
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Far Behind
    Rise
    Millworker
    Goodbye
    Brokenhearted
    You're True
    Driftin
    Hide Your Love Away
    Picture In A Frame
    Trouble
    I Won't Back Down
    Forever Young

Encore 1
    Society
    Growing Up
    No More
    Porch

Encore 2
    Hard Sun
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    From what I’m reading they need to post a sign outside the venue that says no picture taking and if you are caught taking a picture you will be ejected. PERIOD.

It was well established before hand that it is the request of the artist and if you can’t respect that, then you don’t deserve to be there.
  • Options
    From what I’m reading they need to post a sign outside the venue that says no picture taking and if you are caught taking a picture you will be ejected. PERIOD.

It was well established before hand that it is the request of the artist and if you can’t respect that, then you don’t deserve to be there.
    agreed
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Cahoots wrote:
    It was an incredible show. Very intimate and very diverse. I didn't write down the setlist but Porch was played and that was pretty fucking cool. Also Man of the Hour and scoiety were notable highlights. Shit, the whole show was awesome!

Ed Fucked up alot which was funny.

Thanks to the ten club I was third row centre.

Liam Finn was so good! Do not miss his opening act!

Now I just have to figure out how to get tix for tommorow.

ok, so excuse the lack of knowledge here, but......where did you see him?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Drunk folks prolly won tickets from the CFOX boozefest...

And please, let's remember that Ed asked the folks complaining about the security "is this about you taking photos and YouTubing?" which, of course, they all denied...

He later mentioned that as an artist sometimes its hard to say what you want because if it's embarrassing or whatever, it will end up on YouTube...

And after the show at the stage door out back, there were people there with like 10 things for him to sign that were obviously going to be on ebay the next day. I kinda got into it with one guy who kept saying 'I've been doing this long enough to know...." this and that. I asked him, "doing what?" and he got all vague and then said "following and asking my rock star friends to sign a few things for me..." Which you then sell, right? I asked him if he was a Pearl Jam/Ed fan and he started yelling about how he'd been to the show and blah, blah, blah... "and then you want to make money off him? True fan, you are..." said I. And you know he was going to be the first one in, if Ed came out, and would have shoved everyone out of the way with complete and utter disregard. I laughed out loud when he dropped his stupid pick guard that had been already signed by several other PJ members..on the hard scratchy pavement, autograph side down...Ha ha!

Autograph seeking used to be fun...and now it's just as corrupt and ruined like so many things...and it's been ruined for the true fans...and apparently, the true fans ruin it for the ebay sellers...

But this did not ruin the show for me - it was AWESOME
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Drunk folks prolly won tickets from the CFOX boozefest...

And please, let's remember that Ed asked the folks complaining about the security "is this about you taking photos and YouTubing?" which, of course, they all denied...

Love the blunt ed! :)
    He later mentioned that as an artist sometimes its hard to say what you want because if it's embarrassing or whatever, it will end up on YouTube....

No shit... it's not a good feeling at all. One of my good friends got humiliated with his video that was edited and taken out of content by someone else on youtube. It was horrible.

I don't care what people say about eV "deserving this 'cuz he asked for it since he publicly said it, blah blah" - he's human like us. Pointing out what he did over and over on youtube is not a good feeling for him. I do feel bad because I do enjoy watching some of those youtube videos at the expense of EV. :( Sorry, EV.

But this did not ruin the show for me - it was AWESOME

Good!!! I'm happy for you!! :D
    ~Q Magazine