Options

*** Charlottesville Fanviews Here 10/29/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    Amazing...thanks for taking the time to share that experience..sitting down to talk to Eddie Vedder..wow..just..wow..you guys were definitely one of the many highlights that night.
    Way to go Mom and Dad..2 more true music fans..

wndowpayne

I know that Charlottesville was a great night for many reasons -- and especially from our perspective -- and it's hard to set aside my bias, but after hearing and seeing so many folks comment how much they enjoyed our boys' role in the show (and most of which was without the folks knowing we would even read or hear their thoughts), I think I am starting to see that the connection Eddie made with Dane and Heath might have helped increase the level of intimacy that propels a show to a different level. Or those folks and I might just all be loco...

However, the views on the TicketMaster site include a favorite moment entry and many of the people wrote that their favorite moment was the time the boys were pulled onto the stage.
  • Options
    Awesome review!

calvo17

Thanks. I let the boys read that.
  • Options
    Lol. Good taste in songs, LTRP, even "real" fans are talkin smack about that one. :)
    Can definitely vouch for your kids enthusiasm and integrity.

We were side stage and my girl must have looked at me half a dozen times that night, pointed at Heath & brother, and yelled in my ear, "those kids up front, they know the words!" .... I'd be all "yeah. Uh uh." And she'd be all, "NO! They know ALL the words! To ALL the songs!" ...

Funny a kids firs thought when tapped by security is "what did I do wrong?" Lol. You looked cute kid. Too cute. Hah.
    Glad he sees it as the greatest day of his life. To be surpassed again someday, surely.

DriftingByTheStorm

Thanks. We were finally able to hear LTRP last night in OKC. Heath was jacked about that one.

There's a reason that the boys know all the words to all the songs. It's because from the moment they could sense sound, that is the only music that they heard coming from any music device we had. When Kimmie and I began dating over 16 years ago, I said, "This is not going to work unless you like Pearl Jam." She said, "But I can't understand very many of the words." I said, "That's fine. Let's stop and learn them." I remember stopping in a Wal-Mart parking lot in League City, Texas and writing down the words to Evenflow for her to sing.

Early on, the words "Pearl Jam" was synonymous with "music" to my boys. They'd ask someone, "What kind of Pearl Jam do you listen to?" I'm sure that was because we never said, "Turn on some music." We'd only say, "Turn on some Pearl Jam."
  • Options
    Thanks for posting your son's wonderful review! Your sons are very fortunate to have such cool parents. My dad took me to my first PJ show when I was 12 (Charlotte '96). I never took it for granted, but I appreciate a lot more now that I'm older. Your sons will never forget it and will love you for it forever. Do they play instruments yet?

moleculardreaming

I'm sure that you're right and they will appreciate it more later, but after the Charlottesville show it would be hard to imagine how they could. They honestly know what a tremendous privilege it was to have the honors that they did that night.

As for being cool parents, I'll agree with you there. Even though we are pretty old for parents (I'm 47 and Kimmie is 44) I think we rate right up there at the top of parent cooldom. However, we have a ten month old baby girl who might not agree with you when she is fourteen and I'm sixty-one.

They are both interested in playing instruments. Danoh has tinkered with the guitar some and I think it'll start snowballing now. Heath really likes to sing also.
  • Options
    That is so cool! I think I have photos of ed giving wine, but they're probably blurry. I was about 10' to your left.

CJMST3K

Thanks. Even if it they are blurry, we'd love to see them. Please PM me and I'll give you our email address.
  • Options
    So glad Dan and Heath wrote their experiences in their words, and thanks Dad for sharing them with us! Such an amazing experience, and their attitudes about it are just great: grateful, amazed, but very grounded-sounding and not all manic about it. Very cool!

I like how your 12 yr old left out that he poured most of the wine down your 9 yr old's throat, but your 9 yr old is clear he did not enjoy it! LOL! :lol: Now if you can just keep them from being interested in alcohol until they're, oh, 37 yrs old? :D

I was lucky to have a similar experience when I was a young teen with someone I had crazy respect for, and really it was a great foundation on which to have an attitude about most of life that "anything is possible", which is an excellent attitude to have. There was one experience that I went back to in my mind throughout high school and beyond, that always fueled my backbone and reminded me that I'm an ok person (or better than ok) when circumstances tried to make me feel bad about myself, and I hope for your boys the whole experience will be a great, positive touchstone to just build more great life experiences on top of.

And Dad, when Ed does write that song that you inspired, make sure to come back and tell us about it...

JH6056

Thanks. I'll sure let you know when the song evolves. It should be number one on the billboard charts coming off their new album. Of course I'm joking, but it is a pretty good idea. I couldn't believe myself when the question came out of my mouth about whether I could make a song suggestion to him. He said, "Sure," then wrote it down and thanked me. It is two pretty simple ideas which are both really of his own doing -- I just suggested that he put them together and create a song from those two things.

That'll be their last bit of alcohol until they're of age. As a former coach, I was always proud to tell my athletes that I never drank until I was of legal age. However, it'll be a pretty cool story when others are sitting around campfire telling about the first time that they stole some booze out of the old man's liquor cabinet. Then Dane or Heath can one-up by saying, "Well, my first time was when Eddie Vedder poured me some out of his wine bottle from stage and I took my first sip while thousands of fans in the arena cheered for me. How about your first time, Kyle/Josh/Luke?"

I look for this to help boost their confidence and that is immeasurable. They're not lacking confidence by any means at all, but it's hard to have enough sincere, real confidence in one's own self.

I asked Kimmie several days ago if she'd trade that experience for somebody awarding each of our boys a $25K scholarship for college. She thought about it for a second and said, "Even though that would really help, I'd need to say the experience of the Charlottesville show." I upped that to $50K each and she said the same thing. So if that is the case, that experience was worth over a $100K to us -- to try and put a price tag on it.
  • Options
    this thread is great!

i'm happy to read the two boys accounts of the night.
    so funny and adorable they thought they were in trouble when security came up to them. :)

although i've already said i'm jealous ..... if it had to be those two boys .... i feel better that they knew all the words!
    you better, being up front and 'from the womb' and all!

that was SUPPOSED to be my first pj show. Image

stupid parents weren't as cool as these boys parents.

blondieblue227

Thanks. If it's any consolation, my parents couldn't have been any better while raising me but they just didn't have the background to know what was cool or not regarding music (or much else really). I feel fortunate to have been enlightened enough to share what I know is cool with my boys. We can only pass on to our children what we know. My boys shake their heads at the music that kids of today think is cool. Dane and Heath can both tell you that rap music is a misnomer. What are perhaps the two most important components of music? Singing and playing instruments -- well, rappers don't sing or play instruments so the sound they make can't really be considered music. That's the idea that I put in their heads long ago.

Is it as adorable as with my boys in that the first thought in my mind was that I was in trouble as well?
  • Options
    i loved seeing the kids on stage...getting wine...learning they all met the band...what a dream!
    stories for a lifetime from charlottesville!
    my highlight of the night no doubt...

alphawolf

Thanks. Dream is the right word. It's been almost three weeks and we still can't believe it. Stories for a lifetime for sure. My buddies are going to be sick of hearing about this pretty soon. I'll be spinning the topic back to that in any way possible. "Speaking of cities that begin with C...", or "Yep. Those are pretty leaves all right. They kinda remind me of the leaves I saw in Virginia when we flew up there to see Pearl Jam in October of 2013...", and "You say that chainsaw is loud? Well, not as loud as the crowd in Charlottesville when my boys were up on stage at the Pearl Jam concert..." Yep. They'll be sick of hearing that from me pretty soon...
  • Options
    Wow! Something you all will treasure forever!

southernmanfan

There's no doubt that will be the centerpiece for quite a while and we'll always be able to wink at each other and say, "Remember when Eddie said..."
  • Options
    kladkinskladkins Huntington, WV Posts: 6
    If anyone is interested, I have many videos from the show, including when Ed first mentions the boys and their dad in the front row. I would be happy to post any/all of the videos.
    Pittsburgh 10-11-2013, Charlottesville 10-29-13, Cincinnati 10-1-14
    "Understand she's a force of nature.."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    kladkins wrote:
    If anyone is interested, I have many videos from the show, including when Ed first mentions the boys and their dad in the front row. I would be happy to post any/all of the videos.

Do you have the full show and what kind of quality are the videos? The reason I ask is that I will probably take the time to overdub videos with the soundboard release when it is time and make the full show. A guy named Justin posted basically the whole show on Youtube, but it would be cool to add in different angles.
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    alphawolf wrote:
    ive got the flu after the tour and finally got around to trying to sum up this night into words.

surreal. can anyone say 'surreal?!?!'

35 pj shows since 1996 and this show...

this show...

it was on another level.

this about sums up my experience in cville.

me and my tour partner, 5'3" annie, walked onto the floor of jpj arena at 730 and were stunned and amazed to see how few people were on the floor and in the teeny tiny ga area. like seriously, maybe 30 people. the rail was full from end to end, but maybe only 5 people deep in front of center stage. my jaw dropped. annie looked at me with a beaming smile standing right at center stage and she said 'lets get closer!' i was still feeling like wed already won some sort of lottery and i said 'no darling... lets go over this way <<<< a bit'. she obliged with a sigh of 'ohhhkayyyy' and we got in front of jeffs setup about 4 people deep. i looked at my watch. i looked at the upper rafters. 745. upper rafters 90% empty still. annie said 'u think thats a good thing or a bad thing?' i said 'dont worry... itll fill up' we stood there for a few minutes. no one was really even filling in the ga. i said to her 'i cannot believe we are 4th row'. i said 'we cant move'. she said 'ok'. i was worried thered be a flood of people and wed lose our epic spot as showtime grew closer. i heard a voice behind me and to my left, and i turned and looked and it was a familar looking dude. i said to him 'can u believe how close we are right now?!' he was dazed at his position on the floor. huge smile from him and completely nodding and agreeing with me. then annie looked over and said 'hey... we met u in the merch line in bmore!' and he looked at us and was like 'ohhh yeaaah!...we all struck out on the posters!' i said 'my name is jake. this is annie. he said 'im ryland'. so a few min later, a few of his buddys showed up. we all introduced ourselves. i was telling them my concerns for annie not being able to see. so it was nice to have a group of people looking out for my short touring companion. annie also made friends with a few other girls/women who were relatively short also and they were all talking about getting closer. being blocked by big guys. not being able to see etc. they totally took care of each other all night long. it was great to meet all the people around us. we really had no clue what to expect when the lights went down.
    annie delcared 'i going to get a drink'
    time blurred.
    pit never really 'filled' in.
    she cruised back in with wine and water.
    i dont think she even had to say 'pardon me...or excuse me' to get back to our spot. THATS how mellow the pit was. she just WALKED back into 4th row between mike and jeff!!!
    i had some water. gave the rest to ryland. who difinately needed it.
    i saw a stage hand lay down the setlist on jeffs equipment and i said to annie, 'here we go!'
    lights went down.
    place goes balistic!
    sorry to everyone who hates loud whistlers... but i didnt hold back during this show.
    we knew pendulum would open...
    the rest of the show was just a magical wonderful dream. it was absolutely perfect.
    im not going to anyalyze every song, because they were flawless.
    song after song was a 'oh my god!! no wayyy!' kind of feeling the entire night. we had an amazing group of people around us the whole night. everyone singing and screaming and yelling and jumping and dancing the entire show. it was absolutely surreal. ive never been apart of something like this. it felt special right out of the gate. any time someone blocked annie, there were people all around who were kind enough to move and keep her from having her view blocked.
    annie is a documentary film artist and shes got some of the most amazing photos and videos from the entire night.
    i couldnt blame her for wanting to capture all these epic moments because it may be the only time we'll ever be 4th row, so i never even told her to cool it with the camera. i will upload a link to all these pix and vids when i can. no one in the band, or around us looked even slightly irritated by our camera action either. which i was kind of expecting, but from our vantage, there wasnt THAT many people shooting, so i dont think anyone cared.
    crowd was out of this world. setlist looks great on paper, but the feeling of joy and love and happiness was just emminatting from the pit. i was soaked with sweat after the first set so i was happy to see the chairs come out for the first encore. i could finally stop jumping, dancing, and screaming to cool off a bit.
    so many many highlights on this night.
    'the end' had me welling up with tears as ive got an all too familiar tragic story of losing a dog with cancer.
    still rips me apart to this day.
    impossible to remember all the highlights because it just felt like an unbelieveable dream.
    i loved seeing the wheelchair dude cruise by us and get on the rail.
    it was awesome to see him and mike exchanging gifts.
    it was cool to see eddie switch out lightning bolt hats with the dude on the rail to our left.
    i loved seeing the kids on stage...getting wine...learning they all met the band...what a dream!
    stories for a lifetime from charlottesville!
    my highlight of the night no doubt...
    ive worn my Montana State shirt to several shows hoping to get jeff to acknowldege it and it finally happened.
    during alive, after mike walked right next to us in the pit, he got back on the stage to finish the jam with jeff. they were jamming out and i was watching their fingers and hands destroying their guitars and i noticed jeff was staring at me in the eyes. i held up my tshirt a little bit off my chest and jeffs eyes got big. he got a big smile on his face. he tilted his head a bit. raised his eyebrows. and gave me a shrug and a huge smile. sort of like a 'wellll... okayyy'. i couldnt believe it. i turned to annie and said 'did u see ? did u see? did u see that??! jeff saw my shirt!' she said 'i know!!! i saw!' with a huge brimming smile. the rest of the show, i was in another world.
    it was like a dream. i swear. it couldnt have been any better. unless we got to shake eds hand and drink some of his wine and say 'thank you' personally, of course. the amount of eye contact was so cool to see from ed mike and jeff. by the looks on their faces, they were all blown away by the crowd. they looked super suprised and impressed by us. it was THE perfect crowd.
    once little wing started, i looked to my buddy behind me and said 'if they play the whole thing, u better get me some tp!' he just laughed at me. ive heard pj do little wing clips before live, but never the whole thing in person. needless to say, i did not need any tp. i just had to remember to keep picking up my jaw from off the floor for the first few minutes of the song. then i had to snap back and realize what was happening in front of me and savor every second of this magical experience. i knew it was going to be immpossible to top this song. or anything else to top this night.
    this was the best show for me ive ever seen. ive seen many unbelievable shows, but this one pushed its way into the top tier. every song flowed so well into each other and just got on top of the last one. perfectly mixed setlist. it was rediculous. i never thought id witness them THIS good....from ten feet away!

thank you pj for still ripping peoples faces off on a nightly basis. im extremely lucky to have see this show from the viewpoint i had and i did not take one second for granted! we represented the pit sooo fucking hard! thanks to all the cool people in the pit by jeff and mike. it was an unforgettable experience. even the strangers were all nice wonderful happy faces. there was no bumping into anybody. no pushing. no shoving. no arguments. no accidental elbows to the eyes. everyone had plenty of space to express them selves, which was remarkable. no unwanted sweaty idiots acting like fools. no self entitled attitudes of 'lets push our way up front' from anyone. no obliterated drunks acting like jerks... i loved every second of this show...except the small problem during the start of Down, which we really couldnt see, and it seemed to end quickly and calmly. even the fuck up at the end of Whipping was funny. i didnt even realize what went wrong....

'stories and memories for a lifetime'

thanks,
    jake

Jake,

This is Pete (one of Ryland's buddies, VCU Final Four shirt/backwards Nationals hat, Maryland 2002 National Championship shirt in B-More). First off thanks for the water! I got a swig or 2 and it was much needed. That gave me a second wind and given that show I didn't want to leave to go get some of my own. Second I had totally forgot since the two shows meeting you in Baltimore in the merch line. Funny how things work out (still haven't been able to acquire a Baltimore poster :mrgreen: )

Glad you guys enjoyed the show and enjoyed reading you kind words for our little section of heaven in GA. None of us have ever been a part of an experience like that and I have been to 14 shows and Ryland even more. The other 2 with us were his brother Kyle (my freshman/junior/senior/super senior roommate from college) and our good friend and roommate from college Andrew. Ryland may be the only bigger PJ fan I know than myself and he and I were just speechless on the ride back to Richmond (fortunately Kyle drove).

Back to your comments about the people around us, I couldn't agree more. EV goes to Cubs "Fantasy Camp" and walking down and surveying the GA upon arrival I instantly thought, "hell this is my PJ fantasy camp". The energy, setlist, music, being between Mike playing and the stage when he was in GA, etc were all great but what made the evening truly special for me personally was the way people treated each other. I tend to become really angry about the way people behave these days and seeing the kindness exuded amongst everyone I came across in that GA section was the biggest breath of fresh air I've had in a while. It truly made me proud to be a member of the family of thoughtful people who take to heart what this band preaches through their music. I tend to be observant of what is going on around me and I cannot count the amount of amazing exchanges I saw between people in those 3 hours. The band saw it too and I think it had a huge factor in getting the amazing show we were fortunate enough to witness.

Once again great to have met you (twice) and see you at the next one.

Pete

Well I guess this counts as my Fanview as well since while I could go into detail about specifics, this sums my thoughts up pretty succinctly.
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    I gotta say...and I'm not saying it just bc I was there (or maybe I am), but this setlist just has the best flow of the tour so far still...1-2,1-2-3 punches...just a great job...if stone did it they really need to have more band members write the set...eddie has developed the classic pattern but this setlist flow was a huge part of the evening...along with everything else:)
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    Holy crap
    They played these songs in order????

Sad
    Porch
    [Encore Break 2]
    Breath
    State Of Love And Trust
    Alive

Someone colour me jealous. Wow.
    And Grievance was played??? c'mon. Not fair.

Pearl Jam, if you are listening, please replicate this in Vancouver next week. Grassyass
  • Options
    also, since im a bit late to this thread and might be asking a duplicate question......

What did the kids' shirts say?
  • Options
    They said "i saw pearl jam in the womb" on the front and listed the tour dates on the back (or something like that)
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Those shirts listed ALOT of dates!
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    bbrinke wrote:
    They said "i saw pearl jam in the womb" on the front and listed the tour dates on the back (or something like that)

the back said "and out of the womb" and had a bunch of dates on it
    1st and only show so far:
    Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
  • Options
    PearlJamAdamPearlJamAdam Powhatan VA Posts: 33
    How about getting Breathe and State of Love and Trust back to back. Could not have been a better show. Thanks a whole hell of alot Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    How about getting Breathe and State of Love and Trust back to back. Could not have been a better show. Thanks a whole hell of alot Pearl Jam.

exactly, and right out of the second encore...pretty sweet stuff.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    I still can't get over how awesome this show was! Can't wait for the boot to be released so I can relive it over and over again! :D
  • Options
    I'll admit that some of the second leg shows have looked and sounded insane on paper, but for me the kicker with C-ville wasn't just that they played 35 songs, it was what they DIDN'T play in those 35 songs that stands out most. It was my 20th show so to NOT get Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Better Man, Do the Evolution, and Daughter was a real treat and just ridiculous. Ed wasn't just feeding us the usual BS when he said they made the setlist for an "intelligent" crowd.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'll admit that some of the second leg shows have looked and sounded insane on paper, but for me the kicker with C-ville wasn't just that they played 35 songs, it was what they DIDN'T play in those 35 songs that stands out most. It was my 20th show so to NOT get Even Flow, Elderly Woman, Better Man, Do the Evolution, and Daughter was a real treat and just ridiculous. Ed wasn't just feeding us the usual BS when he said they made the setlist for an "intelligent" crowd.

Even though as far as I know it's still not been officially "acknowledged", I'm still going with the theory that Stone made the setlist and that's why it was so unusual in a few ways.

Because, as always, we know... it's all Stone's fault! Thank goodness!!!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    A download code will definitely be utilized for what I think was the best show of the tour. 8-)
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:

Even though as far as I know it's still not been officially "acknowledged", I'm still going with the theory that Stone made the setlist and that's why it was so unusual in a few ways.

Does any one know from where that rumor stems?
    1st and only show so far:
    Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 wrote:

Does any one know from where that rumor stems?

I heard it at the show from someone I would consider a very reliable source (but you don't have to take my word for it), but I didn't post it. Then on the early fanviews in this thread someone said it, or maybe 2 people said it. The "rumor ball" kept rolling from there.

One of the other best setlists in the last 5 yrs that I've been lucky to see, Hartford '08, was written by Jeff, and was amazing! This C'ville one does stand out mainly because of the missing beloved heavy rotation songs, as the person above points out. No one ever confirmed publicly that the Hartford '08 one was by Jeff, and it definitely was, so I'm good with believing this C'ville one was Stone. Because.. why not? :D
  • Options
    I can't wait to hear this boot in HD
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    mcrok wrote:
    I can't wait to hear this boot in HD
    Yeah me too.

Forgive me but I am a little behind the times here. Do I need a special programme/software for Flac/HD?
    rustedsigns