Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632

mrussel1 said:

I'd be fine with Love for Melo. He is an inefficient scorer but I'm not sure he needs to be one. There isn't a ton that Love brings to the table that Melo can't. Certainly some inside presence but Melo is certainly a better playmaker which is what the Cavs need. I'm sure that is the ideal situation for the Cavs though. They would rather add the playmaker without giving up Love. But that's much easier said than done.

If isolation basketball is your idea of playmaking then Melo is your man. Playmaker he is not...
    mrussel1 said:

Our college team could win the Olympics if they were playing other amateur athletes. But they would not be. Therefore they would not have a chance. Plus our best collegiate players are one and done.

I agree with the one and done. If we had actual seniors I know we would kill with coach K at the helm.
    Melo can at least create his own shot. Love cannot. That's what I mean. A true playmaker means another PG, which the Cavs need, but I don't think is out there. But we shall see.

As far as the Olympics, I don't know.. I can't see 21 year old college kids competing with men from the Spanish national team that includes NBA players.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

Good for the Cavs for not doing that trade for now, but it could still happen if GM LeBron continues his influence. Though with what's going on with the Bulls, it might be possible Wade is traded.

GM Lebron screwed the Cavs when he pushed for the Cavs to sign Thomspon to that ridiculous contract for nothing more than a rebounder, and then spending too much on JR Smith. They would have been better spending the $$ to keep Delly, as now they have no playmakers when Lebron is off the court. They only have 2 players averaging more than 2 assists/game - Lebron and Irving.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    No Coder said:

Good for the Cavs for not doing that trade for now, but it could still happen if GM LeBron continues his influence. Though with what's going on with the Bulls, it might be possible Wade is traded.

GM Lebron screwed the Cavs when he pushed for the Cavs to sign Thomspon to that ridiculous contract for nothing more than a rebounder, and then spending too much on JR Smith. They would have been better spending the $$ to keep Delly, as now they have no playmakers when Lebron is off the court. They only have 2 players averaging more than 2 assists/game - Lebron and Irving.

No way. I watch them every night. Delly was good for the price but he's not worth the market price. Remember that Mo screwed us. He retired, ate up cap and left us without the backup pg.

I also think TT is awesome. Worth the money especially after next year's cap kicks in.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

No Coder said:

No way. I watch them every night. Delly was good for the price but he's not worth the market price. Remember that Mo screwed us. He retired, ate up cap and left us without the backup pg.

I also think TT is awesome. Worth the money especially after next year's cap kicks in.
    TT is worth $80 Mil?? When he offers NOTHING offensively and is not a particularly good defender (he's okay). Many better options than him for the $.
    If you are going on value compared to next years cap, then Delly is underpriced and he played well for the Cavs and also filled a need, which they haven't been able to fill since they let him walk. Hell, even Tyler Johnson is getting $50 mil. Mo Williams was not the answer at backup PG anyway, yes he's eaten some cap, but that's what happens when you fill the bench with old guys.

• Options
    TT does so much that does not show up in the stats.
  • Options
    I agree that a player doesn't have to have stats to have an impact, I just disagree that TT is that player. He can be a productive asset, BUT he's overpaid - that's my point.

• Options
    No Coder said:

I agree that a player doesn't have to have stats to have an impact, I just disagree that TT is that player. He can be a productive asset, BUT he's overpaid - that's my point.

He's so friggin young. Just scratchin' his potential. Just like Kyrie...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

No Coder said:

He's so friggin young. Just scratchin' his potential. Just like Kyrie...
    He's not old (26 in March), but he's been in the league long enough for the Cavs to have a decent measure of his skillset. This is his 6th year in the league and he has no outside shot, no real post up moves and only really scores on put backs, or alley oops. He's a poor version of DeAndre Jordan, who is also over valued, but at least offers a bit more. I'm constantly amazed that some these professional players are happy to stand pat and not develop more to their games - Dwight Howard is a prime example. Got by on freakish athletic ability, but never truly worked on go to moves or his shot in offense to make himself even better.

No doubting Kyrie's individual talent, fantastic one v one scorer and brilliant handles, he's in a different league to Thompson. I don't think he's in the top 5 PG's in the league, but he is still very good.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Biggest problem is that a lot of average players got paid all-star money this past off season. Evan Turner is getting paid $70M to average 9 points a game.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Biggest problem is that a lot of average players got paid all-star money this past off season. Evan Turner is getting paid $70M to average 9 points a game.

Exactly. Basketball isn't really like football where it is value based. Average players get big money. Therefore it's not really big money relatively speaking. There really are a very few players that make an impact at their position. So you have to pay for it. You pay a power forward who can grab you 4 offensive rpg money like a good PG would get..
  • Options
    Cleveland pays $54M in luxury tax which is highest in the league, so I don't see how Lebron can say they are holding the purse strings.

That said, their owner is a horrible person who is a multi billionaire whose fortune has been made be giving people shitty loans.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Damn the Warriors are kicking the shit out of the clips. West has 2 teams that matter. Warriors and Spurs.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Cleveland pays $54M in luxury tax which is highest in the league, so I don't see how Lebron can say they are holding the purse strings.

That said, their owner is a horrible person who is a multi billionaire whose fortune has been made be giving people shitty loans.

I disagree. Quicken is a great product. Have you used them? They are the easiest finance and refinance I've ever been through. I've used them probably 4x now. They are a little aggressive on the sales side, but that's sales.

And I do like Fathead too...also owned by Gilbert
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

So it begins ...

Pathetic
    Could be worse ....

But the seal has been cracked. Once other leagues see the profit they are missing out, it is on.
    The NHL has already approved ads on sweaters with the new adidas deal. One small patch on a jersey - while I don't like the change of tradition - it isn't really that bothersome. Now, when ticket prices continue to increase when they are making more money off ad revenue, that's where I get pissed.
    Perhaps if the NBA didn't go apeshit giving out max contracts to average and below average players, they wouldn't need ads on their shirts.
  • Options
    I miss Brandon Jennings' "Gumby" hairdo!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

So it begins ...

Pathetic
    Could be worse ....

But the seal has been cracked. Once other leagues see the profit they are missing out, it is on.
    The NHL has already approved ads on sweaters with the new adidas deal. One small patch on a jersey - while I don't like the change of tradition - it isn't really that bothersome. Now, when ticket prices continue to increase when they are making more money off ad revenue, that's where I get pissed.
    Perhaps if the NBA didn't go apeshit giving out max contracts to average and below average players, they wouldn't need ads on their shirts.
    also next year-

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Today Gary Bettman stated the NHL won't follow the NBA's lead with ad patches on jerseys.
  • Options

Today Gary Bettman stated the NHL won't follow the NBA's lead with ad patches on jerseys.

Ironically they could use the $
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

That is shocking. Maybe they think it would hurt jersey sales cause the NHL moves a shit ton of sweaters. Only 13 year olds and weirdos actually walk around in NBA jerseys.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

That is shocking. Maybe they think it would hurt jersey sales cause the NHL moves a shit ton of sweaters. Only 13 year olds and weirdos actually walk around in NBA jerseys.
    I think any adult wearing a jersey that isn't at the actual event is bizarre. And even at the event I think it's a little off.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

I think any adult wearing a jersey that isn't at the actual event is bizarre. And even at the event I think it's a little off.
    T-shirt underneath the NBA jersey is ok.

Anyone wearing a Yankees jersey with a name on the back is NOT ok...
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

You mean their own name or like Jeter?
  • Options
    Do you think they will have the sponsor on the jerseys they sell to fans? That would be weird looking.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

You mean their own name or like Jeter?
    Both are equally egregious for the same reason.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480

Damn the Warriors are kicking the shit out of the clips. West has 3 teams that matter. Warriors, Jazz and Spurs.

fixed :lol:

Greek Freak in town, tonight. Hope we can get the win.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    If Utah was playing in 1997 instead of 2017 I would agree. They are the new Memphis and just like Memphis won't ever win shit.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Damn the Warriors are kicking the shit out of the clips. West has 3 teams that matter. Warriors, Jazz and Spurs.

What position are you playing?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

pivot man in the circle jerk? :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

pivot man in the circle jerk? :confounded:
    23scidoo said:

So pround for our guy..

love ya but.....shut your ass down....welcome to the West.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,514
    ^^Bad night for our guy..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..