Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    polaris_x said:

Will we ever see 60 points in 30 minutes again? Curry reminding everyone Warriors have only played 21 games with Durant should be a wake up call that the rest of the league better figure out how to defend them quickly as they are going to get better as the season goes along. We might get a 160 point game at some point soon.

I think so ... warriors are redefining how the game can be played ...
    They are still a soft team. Durant did not help that. It's fine regular season, but playoffs get rougher. Curry is baby soft.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    like charmin.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    man ... there are like a lot of bad teams in the association ... gotta be the worst league now ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

man ... there are like a lot of bad teams in the association ... gotta be the worst league now ...

I don't think the owners ever really imagined that players would take less money to play with each other. Plus, players have had much friendlier relationships ever since the advent of USA Basketball. Turns out sportsmanship and taking less for a championship is bad for competition... seems ironic.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Ugh...friggen cancer...
  • Options

Ugh...friggen cancer...

Damn shame...He was one of a kind.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    mrussel1 said:

Ugh...friggen cancer...

RIP Craig Sager
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Ugh...friggen cancer...

RIP Craig Sager
    One of my favorite interviews was when he came back and Popovitch was nice to him and actually did an interview.

The next one was my surprise to see him during the finals last year. That was a very awesome gesture by ESPN.

Honorable mention was when Dwayne Wade was much impressed by his threads he was wearing, as many of you know Wade is a deft dresser.

He was a treasure to listen to and watch. RIP.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

I don't think the owners ever really imagined that players would take less money to play with each other. Plus, players have had much friendlier relationships ever since the advent of USA Basketball. Turns out sportsmanship and taking less for a championship is bad for competition... seems ironic.
    I think that's only part of it ... all the good teams now have 1 thing in common ... continuity ... teams keep changing their core and coaches ... and everyone is tanking now ... i think that works ok when there are like 2-3 teams doing that but when like a third of the teams are tanking ... it just makes for a bad product ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

I think that's only part of it ... all the good teams now have 1 thing in common ... continuity ... teams keep changing their core and coaches ... and everyone is tanking now ... i think that works ok when there are like 2-3 teams doing that but when like a third of the teams are tanking ... it just makes for a bad product ...
    But aren't they tanking because there are only 4 teams at the beginning of the year that even have a shot at winning? You create a salary cap to drive competition, but somehow the NBA is the least competitive of the four major sports. Now I think that is driven somewhat by the nature of basketball since there are only 5 players on the floor and an individual(s) can be so dominant. But isn't it a foregone conclusion that it's Cavs and Warriors III this year? I hope I'm wrong (not about the Cavs) but the probability is very strong.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

But aren't they tanking because there are only 4 teams at the beginning of the year that even have a shot at winning? You create a salary cap to drive competition, but somehow the NBA is the least competitive of the four major sports. Now I think that is driven somewhat by the nature of basketball since there are only 5 players on the floor and an individual(s) can be so dominant. But isn't it a foregone conclusion that it's Cavs and Warriors III this year? I hope I'm wrong (not about the Cavs) but the probability is very strong.

i don't think it's a foregone conclusion ... i think there are 5-6 legitimate contenders with the cavs and warriors clear favourites ... but either way - even if there are only 6 teams with a chance ... if the rest of the league then tanks than in any given year 2/3rds of your teams are gonna suck ... purposefully ... obviously I know that not 20+ teams are tanking ... but you could legitimately say by the all star break - 10 to 15 teams will be tanking ... that's just wrong ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

i don't think it's a foregone conclusion ... i think there are 5-6 legitimate contenders with the cavs and warriors clear favourites ... but either way - even if there are only 6 teams with a chance ... if the rest of the league then tanks than in any given year 2/3rds of your teams are gonna suck ... purposefully ... obviously I know that not 20+ teams are tanking ... but you could legitimately say by the all star break - 10 to 15 teams will be tanking ... that's just wrong ...
    Barring injury, I think the chance that it's Cavs-Dubs is about 80%. And the Cavs would make the finals if anyone other than LBJ were injured too. For the Warriors, they could survive two injuries to their big four.

I'm not saying there is a solution. You can't stop someone from taking less money or bar people from being friends. It's just the reality of the game today. And the raising of the cap may exasperate the issue. Now taking "less money" can be easier to stomach.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Barring injury, I think the chance that it's Cavs-Dubs is about 80%. And the Cavs would make the finals if anyone other than LBJ were injured too. For the Warriors, they could survive two injuries to their big four.

I'm not saying there is a solution. You can't stop someone from taking less money or bar people from being friends. It's just the reality of the game today. And the raising of the cap may exasperate the issue. Now taking "less money" can be easier to stomach.
    i think the warriors are more a function of the way they play the game than their individual talents ... cavs probably more a function of lebron and kyrie ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

i think the warriors are more a function of the way they play the game than their individual talents ... cavs probably more a function of lebron and kyrie ...
    Don't the Warriors fans blame Draymond's suspension for losing the series? Why couldn't Bogut fill that role, or Igoudala? I'm sorry, I hear what you are saying about their style, but I'm not quite buying it. It doesn't matter if you are running motion, zone, the triangle, whatever. When you have great players, it makes all the difference. Lebron and Ky's individual one on one and finishing talents are a cut above anyone on the Warriors, but you could flip flop both coaches and you'd be in the same place I think.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Don't the Warriors fans blame Draymond's suspension for losing the series? Why couldn't Bogut fill that role, or Igoudala? I'm sorry, I hear what you are saying about their style, but I'm not quite buying it. It doesn't matter if you are running motion, zone, the triangle, whatever. When you have great players, it makes all the difference. Lebron and Ky's individual one on one and finishing talents are a cut above anyone on the Warriors, but you could flip flop both coaches and you'd be in the same place I think.
    well ... bogut can't shoot the 3 and igoudala is undersized to guard 5's ... still ... is klay thompson gonna be as good if he played for say the hawks? ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

well ... bogut can't shoot the 3 and igoudala is undersized to guard 5's ... still ... is klay thompson gonna be as good if he played for say the hawks? ...
    Yes! And you are making my point in a roundabout way. The players make the difference and specifically players like Green and LBJ are critically important. They both can play 3-4 positions. And Lebron plays 3 positions at an uber-elite level. The flexibility they provide allow coaches to develop system's like Kerr's.

I do think Klay is an all-star wherever he goes. If I was starting a team, I might take him before Curry. I think Curry will be beaten and bruised in a few years. Klay's size makes him more durable and flexible for 10+ years. I think he's an elite defender too. Curry most certainly is not.

For the record, I'm super biased. I'm from Cleveland and hate the Warriors.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Yes! And you are making my point in a roundabout way. The players make the difference and specifically players like Green and LBJ are critically important. They both can play 3-4 positions. And Lebron plays 3 positions at an uber-elite level. The flexibility they provide allow coaches to develop system's like Kerr's.

I do think Klay is an all-star wherever he goes. If I was starting a team, I might take him before Curry. I think Curry will be beaten and bruised in a few years. Klay's size makes him more durable and flexible for 10+ years. I think he's an elite defender too. Curry most certainly is not.

For the record, I'm super biased. I'm from Cleveland and hate the Warriors.
    Klay Thompson is a better player than Steph, yep you heard that right. If Klay can elevate his game ever so slightly more the Warriors will be lights out for years to come.

I haven't been able to see a Warriors game yet to see how the addition of KD works. I'm wondering if it will hurt them in the playoffs?

Also someone mentioned earlier about people playing "together" to win championships and making the NBA a bad product. I totally agree with this unless you have Dwight Howard on your team. He just seems to be a boat anchor wherever he plays.. You have only a handful of teams with a 1 and 2 top caliber player and those teams always flourish.

With the absence of KD on the Thunder I don't think that Westbrook can carry them deep into the playoffs. He's a beast but he needs another top tier player. Lebron is the only player that I've seen carry a team multiple times to the finals.
  • Options
    jazz played like shit in the 4th quater......and then hit a three with .8 left, to win it. :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,334
    Wobbie said:

jazz played like shit in the 4th quater......and then hit a three with .8 left, to win it. :triumph:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:

Wobbie said:

and Gobert follows up with 9-9 shooting. pretty sure he is averaging better than 2 points per shot attempt :tired_face:

while holding gasol to 4-22.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Warrors beat them by 20 tomorrow.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,085
    as if things aren't bad enough for the Nets, their next three games, at Toronto, Golden State, at Cleveland.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

as if things aren't bad enough for the Nets, their next three games, at Toronto, Golden State, at Cleveland.

that's good actually ... team is tanking and the way the league is - you are tanking with at least 8 other teams ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

that's good actually ... team is tanking and the way the league is - you are tanking with at least 8 other teams ...
    Funny they were talking about the majority of teams "tanking" now...
  • Options

polaris_x said:

Funny they were talking about the majority of teams "tanking" now...
    that was my position earlier in this thread ... there are so many teams tanking now that the product is just piss poor ... i wonder if there is a stat somewhere that shows the average winning margin in is in nba games ... if I had to guess - it would be at its highest now ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Actually it's not since Billy King traded the first round pick for this year to the Boston Celtics in the Garnett-Pierce trade.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

polaris_x said:

Actually it's not since Billy King traded the first round pick for this year to the Boston Celtics in the Garnett-Pierce trade.
    ouch!! ... is it lottery protected?
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

nope, one of three first-round picks in that deal.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Warrors beat them by 20 tomorrow.

I was wrong. Jazz lost by 30.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

nope, one of three first-round picks in that deal.
    ugly ...

not sure anyone can net (pun intended) a first rounder ... maybe lopez to a contender? ...