i felt they were
    qualities of mine
    to be admired.
    turns out that
    they are nothing more
    than simple
    signs of weakness
    to be exploited.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    i used to believe
    that patience and loyalty
    were signs of strength.
    i felt they were
    qualities of mine
    to be admired.
    turns out that
    they are nothing more
    than simple
    signs of weakness
    to be exploited.

I know what it feels like to be discouraged and hurt but I'm here to tell you that loyalty and patience are still good qualities even though people can be jerks and use loyal and patient people.

I hope you start to feel better soon.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tired of wasting time
    doing the wrong things
    with the wrong people.
    from now on,
    if anybody wants
    my time or
    my attention or
    my affection
    they had better be
    off-the-charts
    exceptional.

damn.. and heres me just awesome. ;)8-):lol:

keep writing rod... youre doing good stuff.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    justam wrote:
    i used to believe
    that patience and loyalty
    were signs of strength.
    i felt they were
    qualities of mine
    to be admired.
    turns out that
    they are nothing more
    than simple
    signs of weakness
    to be exploited.

I know what it feels like to be discouraged and hurt but I'm here to tell you that loyalty and patience are still good qualities even though people can be jerks and use loyal and patient people.

i guess they are good qualities. people fail to recognize that in me a lot of the time. and when some of them do, it gets me used.

thanks for the kind words. i am actually doing much better, but i get these fleeting moments where i feel bad again. i have a 45 min commute to and from work and that gives me 90 minutes trapped in a car where i can not help but think of things. in the car is where most of my inspiration hits me, which is why i go to work and write in between patients. i come up with a lot of decent ideas on the way to and from work, unfortunately i lose a lot of it between parking and getting inside somewhere to sit down and write it down.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    tired of wasting time
    doing the wrong things
    with the wrong people.
    from now on,
    if anybody wants
    my time or
    my attention or
    my affection
    they had better be
    off-the-charts
    exceptional.

damn.. and heres me just awesome. ;)8-):lol:

keep writing rod... youre doing good stuff.
    thanks cate, and yes, you are pretty damn awesome :)

• Options
    my heart has softened.
    i have no more
    resentment,
    anger,
    or bitterness.
    perhaps i was holding on
    to those things
    so that i could feel
    like i was holding on
    to something.
    so that at least
    when i thought of you
    i would feel something.
    instead of the nothing
    that i feel now.
    its been too long
    since we have spoken.
    hell,
    if given a chance
    i don't even know
    what i would say.
    there is so much i want
    to say to you,
    but i wouldn't know
    where to begin.
    this conflict we have
    makes no sense to me.
    i have tried to see it
    from every angle.
    it seems that it is
    just so one sided.
    i have no ill will,
    nor animosity.
    i let go of those things
    months ago.
    i thought that i could
    handle it,
    that i was grown up enough
    for the situation.
    that i was selfless enough
    for the situation.
    that i was self assured enough
    for the situation.
    that the situation
    would somehow
    work itself out.
    like if i wanted it bad enough
    it would be what i wanted it to be.
    turns out i wasn't,
    and and it didn't.
    i am very
    very sorry about that.
    i had never tried
    to work through something
    like that before.
    i know some things were said.
    mean things. hurtful things.
    but i never meant them.
    it was in the heat of the moment.
    i know you didn't mean them either.
    i never took them personally.
    but the more time passes,
    i start to think,
    "hey, maybe she did mean it."
    at this point i don't know anymore.
    i never thought
    there would be a time
    where i would lose you completely.
    i never thought
    there would be a time
    where i would not know you at all.
    that time has come.
    i don't know you anymore,
    and i do not know
    how to deal with it.
    you ever have that one person
    where you want to reach out
    and see how they are,
    and wish them happiness
    and wish them well,
    with no strings attached?
    you do not know
    how it will be received,
    so you don't do it?
    that is what you are to me now.
    i think about our situation
    and how we got
    to where we are.
    it happens all of the time.
    and i can't find a way out of it.
    i have searched
    to the bottom of my soul,
    but i can not find the way
    to know you again.
    it doesn't have to be how
    it was before.
    i don't need to mean
    what i meant to you before.
    you don't have to be
    what you were to me before.
    i just miss my friend.
    i want to know you.
    i want to be able to talk to you.
    i want to be able to
    acknowledge things you say or post.
    i miss talking about
    music with you.
    i miss talking about
    day to day life with you.
    i miss your opinions,
    and how we would agree
    on the most boring
    and mundane things.
    i miss that.
    we never even got
    to discuss lightning bolt
    or the tour.
    or the shows
    that we attended
    separately with our
    separate groups of friends,
    that seem to overlap so much.
    from my side,
    i don't see a reason
    why we can't try
    to salvage something.
    i am willing to put in the work
    to rebuild a friendship.
    to rebuild a connection lost.
    i want a chance to start anew.
    "hi! my name is Rodney.
    i drove from st. louis.
    i play guitar in a band.
    i like pearl jam,
    that is why i made this trip.
    what is your name?"

• Options
    justam wrote:

i guess they are good qualities. people fail to recognize that in me a lot of the time. and when some of them do, it gets me used.

thanks for the kind words. i am actually doing much better, but i get these fleeting moments where i feel bad again. i have a 45 min commute to and from work and that gives me 90 minutes trapped in a car where i can not help but think of things. in the car is where most of my inspiration hits me, which is why i go to work and write in between patients. i come up with a lot of decent ideas on the way to and from work, unfortunately i lose a lot of it between parking and getting inside somewhere to sit down and write it down.

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's natural to feel upset sometimes. If you didn't, you wouldn't have a heart.

The thing about writing is that it lets you get the feelings and thoughts out so you can look at them later when you feel a bit less close to the feeling. Then you can sort through the ideas and make sense of the feelings.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    justam wrote:
    justam wrote:

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's natural to feel upset sometimes. If you didn't, you wouldn't have a heart.

The thing about writing is that it lets you get the feelings and thoughts out so you can look at them later when you feel a bit less close to the feeling. Then you can sort through the ideas and make sense of the feelings.

So true! ;)
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    justam wrote:

yeah i have notebooks from a few years ago with pages and pages of stuff written in them. i never typed any of that stuff. nowadays it is just as easy to type new stuff here instead of write it out and transcribe it. it is always a little scary to go back and read some of that old stuff. i know a lot more about those situations now than i did then, and i have 100% more clarity, so it is strange to go back and read what i was writing about when i did not know all of the information. i do go back from time to time and play some of the terrible, terrible songs i used to write :lol::lol: :fp: those things will never, ever, see the light of day haha..

• Options
    justam wrote:

yeah i have notebooks from a few years ago with pages and pages of stuff written in them. i never typed any of that stuff. nowadays it is just as easy to type new stuff here instead of write it out and transcribe it. it is always a little scary to go back and read some of that old stuff. i know a lot more about those situations now than i did then, and i have 100% more clarity, so it is strange to go back and read what i was writing about when i did not know all of the information. i do go back from time to time and play some of the terrible, terrible songs i used to write :lol::lol: :fp: those things will never, ever, see the light of day haha..

You're braver than me to actually sing and record it when you're upset!

It takes a lot for me to just write stuff down and admit how I feel to myself when I'm in the middle of some turmoil. :oops: :P

What I find most interesting about the process is that sometimes when I go back to something that was difficult to write down, it doesn't seem nearly as revealing as it felt at the time I was writing it! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:

You're braver than me to actually sing and record it when you're upset!

It takes a lot for me to just write stuff down and admit how I feel to myself when I'm in the middle of some turmoil. :oops: :P

What I find most interesting about the process is that sometimes when I go back to something that was difficult to write down, it doesn't seem nearly as revealing as it felt at the time I was writing it! :)

i am all about things being raw. the more upset or ill at ease the better. i am a sucker for honesty. i have some videos of me singing things when i was upset and you can totally see the pained look on my face. it is really, really hard for me to watch some of them. i have an audio program on my comupter called audacity that i record with, but for some reason it has been acting up lately and i can not get anything to record. it is like the microphone is not working or something, so it is easier to just use my little flip cam. at least i have it recorded somehow.

for me, the writing down is the easy part. i just let it all out. i have never been good at being able to tell someone what i am thinking. like when i would have a g/f and we would argue or she would want to know my feelings on something i could never ever verbalize them. that issue cost me a lot of relationships over the years. i am so much better at writing it down than i am verbalizing it. the last few years i have made it a point to verbalize my feelings more often. it was something i actually had to practice. and because i have been able to write them i have forced myself to be able to verbalize them. i find that you have to be honest with yourself before you can be honest with someone else. you have to be honest with how you feel and what you think or you can never communicate that to someone else. i just write, and it is a way of collecting my thoughts. a piece of paper can not get mad at you. a woman can. you can say whatever you want to a computer screen or a piece of paper. when you say those things to other actual people, you have to be careful what you say sometimes. i guess i am better at writing because there is no need to edit yourself, while when speaking to someone, you kinda always have to edit yourself in some ways.

i think when you go back and read it it is not as revealing to you because you psyched yourself out. you thought you wrote this super revealing work and you felt better for getting it all out and you went back to read it and realized that you only thought you revealed too much because you thinking about it was a way of letting go. even though you did not write certain parts of it, you thought about it and that was your release. makes sense to me anyway haha..

• Options
    I also believe that writing stuff done honest , but for me when its raw, there is a most of the time much double written in my text. By editing it I come to the kernel of my feelings. Leaving all the frill, witch clouds the point I am trying to express behind. In my daily life I am quit good with words, but expressing my feeling is a whole different story. I can verbalize greatly, but by doing this I lose the contact with the feelings, it's like I am telling a story about someone else. I disconnect from myself. While writing and painting I keep close to myself and am able to work trough the emotions. This gives me release.
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
  • Options
    Aafke wrote:
    I also believe that writing stuff done honest , but for me when its raw, there is a most of the time much double written in my text. By editing it I come to the kernel of my feelings. Leaving all the frill, witch clouds the point I am trying to express behind. In my daily life I am quit good with words, but expressing my feeling is a whole different story. I can verbalize greatly, but by doing this I lose the contact with the feelings, it's like I am telling a story about someone else. I disconnect from myself. While writing and painting I keep close to myself and am able to work trough the emotions. This gives me release.
    yeah i get stuff double written a lot. probably because i am dwelling on something, or those thoughts were really important to me or the were key to why i was feeling the way i was feeling. i think things get repeated subconsciously for emphasis. i try to not say too much, but i don't like editing things down. i know i am long winded at times, but if i edit things down or go back and change things i feel like i am losing the mood that i was in when i wrote it. i know that this is not how it is supposed to be done, but i am really big about keeping my stuff in its original form for some reason. i have always been that way. i would go back and try to be more concise and to me the piece loses something that it had when i originally wrote it, ya know? trimming the fat is a good thing, but i have never worried about brevity. like i said, i just like to start writing and see what comes out. i can see how repetition can cloud the point, but at the same time it can emphasize something as well.

i have never tried painting. do you post your work anywhere on here? i would like to check it out. :)

• Options
    Aafke wrote:
    yeah i get stuff double written a lot. probably because i am dwelling on something, or those thoughts were really important to me or the were key to why i was feeling the way i was feeling. i think things get repeated subconsciously for emphasis. i try to not say too much, but i don't like editing things down. i know i am long winded at times, but if i edit things down or go back and change things i feel like i am losing the mood that i was in when i wrote it. i know that this is not how it is supposed to be done, but i am really big about keeping my stuff in its original form for some reason. i have always been that way. i would go back and try to be more concise and to me the piece loses something that it had when i originally wrote it, ya know? trimming the fat is a good thing, but i have never worried about brevity. like i said, i just like to start writing and see what comes out. i can see how repetition can cloud the point, but at the same time it can emphasize something as well.

i have never tried painting. do you post your work anywhere on here? i would like to check it out. :)

Yes I did, By three off my poems, Chained and silenced, Last Kiss, and Wave, also at the Art wall, The way water is flowing, Not only paintings by the way also drawings... More will follow, but one piece at the time, I would like to hear your feedback.

Sometimes a picture says more than thousand words, hi, hi :D
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    i just had a chance to read your threads and see your art. i don't normally spend a lot of time on here because i tend to get lost in everybody's writing, and it makes me feel like such an amateur writer when i read what others have written. you are a very talented writer, and you, like me, write with a lot of emotion and honesty, and you are very good at it. i also saw some of your paintings and drawings and they are very good as well. they make your writing more effective when the pictures are there, because i see what you saw. very good stuff and keep up the good work :)
    Aafke wrote:
    Yes I did, By three off my poems, Chained and silenced, Last Kiss, and Wave, also at the Art wall, The way water is flowing, Not only paintings by the way also drawings... More will follow, but one piece at the time, I would like to hear your feedback.

• Options
    i just had a chance to read your threads and see your art. i don't normally spend a lot of time on here because i tend to get lost in everybody's writing, and it makes me feel like such an amateur writer when i read what others have written. you are a very talented writer, and you, like me, write with a lot of emotion and honesty, and you are very good at it. i also saw some of your paintings and drawings and they are very good as well. they make your writing more effective when the pictures are there, because i see what you saw. very good stuff and keep up the good work :)
    Aafke wrote:

Thank you ! I'll do that... At least I'll try to do that, hi, hi ;)
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    I think this openness is excellent. Even if no one else sees it, it probably helps you flush the extreme emotions out so you can sort them. It seems very much like do-it-yourself therapy! :)

i am all about things being raw. the more upset or ill at ease the better. i am a sucker for honesty. i have some videos of me singing things when i was upset and you can totally see the pained look on my face. it is really, really hard for me to watch some of them. i have an audio program on my comupter called audacity that i record with, but for some reason it has been acting up lately and i can not get anything to record. it is like the microphone is not working or something, so it is easier to just use my little flip cam. at least i have it recorded somehow.

for me, the writing down is the easy part. i just let it all out. i have never been good at being able to tell someone what i am thinking. like when i would have a g/f and we would argue or she would want to know my feelings on something i could never ever verbalize them. that issue cost me a lot of relationships over the years. i am so much better at writing it down than i am verbalizing it. the last few years i have made it a point to verbalize my feelings more often. it was something i actually had to practice. and because i have been able to write them i have forced myself to be able to verbalize them. i find that you have to be honest with yourself before you can be honest with someone else. you have to be honest with how you feel and what you think or you can never communicate that to someone else. i just write, and it is a way of collecting my thoughts. a piece of paper can not get mad at you. a woman can. you can say whatever you want to a computer screen or a piece of paper. when you say those things to other actual people, you have to be careful what you say sometimes. i guess i am better at writing because there is no need to edit yourself, while when speaking to someone, you kinda always have to edit yourself in some ways.

i think when you go back and read it it is not as revealing to you because you psyched yourself out. you thought you wrote this super revealing work and you felt better for getting it all out and you went back to read it and realized that you only thought you revealed too much because you thinking about it was a way of letting go. even though you did not write certain parts of it, you thought about it and that was your release. makes sense to me anyway haha..
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think this openness is excellent. Even if no one else sees it, it probably helps you flush the extreme emotions out so you can sort them. It seems very much like do-it-yourself therapy! :)

it is very much do-it-yourself therapy. for me, it is all about flushing it out. just write until it goes away, ya know?

i talked to a counselor for a few sessions a couple of years ago, and writing has helped me more than she ever did.

• Options
    justam wrote:

it is very much do-it-yourself therapy. for me, it is all about flushing it out. just write until it goes away, ya know?

i talked to a counselor for a few sessions a couple of years ago, and writing has helped me more than she ever did.

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    sometimes
    i can't believe
    what i do when i drink.
    hooking up with people
    that i don't know,
    and i don't like.
    in the haze and fog
    of a night of wine,
    sometimes things
    occur that seem like
    good ideas at the time.
    then i regain consciousness
    and i regain sobriety
    in a bed that is not mine
    in a place i have never been.
    i am ashamed
    of my behavior at times.
    this is one of them.

• Options
    it's been a crazy year.
    one of the best
    and one of the worst
    years of my life.
    lots of ups and downs.
    lots of memories made.
    good and bad.
    took a few trips.
    saw a few shows.
    wrote a few songs.
    songs that i am not ashamed
    to claim as mine.
    played a few gigs.
    dated a few women.
    broke a couple of hearts,
    and got mine broken too.
    lots of new friends made.
    some of those friendships
    are going strong,
    while a few have run their course
    and withered away.
    none of those that ended
    were by my choice.
    i hate when that happens.
    i can't do anything about it.
    choices have been made,
    things have been said,
    and i can't take them back.
    i am not indifferent about it.
    i want to be,
    but i am not.

when people walk away
    it always hurts.
    you can try to make them stay,
    but that never works.
    you can watch them walk away.
    you can walk after them if you want,
    but that makes them walk away
    at a faster pace.
    before you know it
    they are sprinting,
    and you can't keep up.
    so you watch them run away
    knowing there is nothing
    that you can do but give up.
    all you can do
    is wish them well.
    wish them luck
    and wish them happiness,
    and hope they find
    whatever it is that they are looking for.
    and leave it at that.
    you can still wonder about them.
    you can still care about them,
    but that's about it.
    then you realize that
    if they wanted you to be a part of their life
    in any capacity,
    no matter how insignificant,
    you would be.
    but since you aren't,
    that is how they want it.
    and then you just walk
    in a different direction
    and find your own way
    to somewhere else.

i know of a few
    babies born this year.
    but i know more people
    who have passed away.
    one of my best friends is gone.
    fucking drugs.
    that one really took a terrible toll on me.
    my friend's mom is dying now.
    fucking cancer.
    my friend was preceded by my dog.
    had him for 11 years.
    we had a good run together,
    but i had to let him go.
    fucking cancer.
    but overall,
    more people have entered my life
    this year than have departed it.
    i guess that can't be a bad thing.

years from now
    i will look back on
    this year as one
    of the worst of my life
    in some ways.
    but in some ways
    it was one of the best.
    there is still time
    for something amazing to happen.
    but as it is now,
    i would not be sad
    to see 2013 off
    and start anew next year.
    it gets better from here.

• Options
    i miss you
    more than i care to admit.
    i miss you
    more than you will ever know.
    i miss you
    so much that it hurts.
    not just in my heart,
    but all around it.
    in my lungs,
    when i think of you
    and take a deep breath,
    i get a pain there.
    my stomach burns
    when i think of you.
    my whole body aches
    and nothing makes it stop.
    still to this day,
    it does not get easier.
    they say this fades with time.
    but if it hasn't by now,
    then when?

• Options
    i would play the knockout game for you.
    no, i would not throw the punch.
    i would seriously
    walk down the street
    and unexpectedly
    take a punch in the face
    just for you.
    i'll bet you've never
    heard that one before.
    is that kind of commitment
    flattering, or
    is it crazy?

• Options
    my best friend's mom died last night.
    she had had cancer
    and had been sick for a long time.
    she was able to pass away
    quietly, and with dignity.

i have come to realize
    that life is for the living,
    and only for the living.
    the dead are gone.
    they are no longer alive,
    no longer living.
    the survivors
    live on.
    they continue their journey
    through this world of the living.
    sometimes that feels
    like a relief.
    a weight lifted.
    while sometimes it feels
    like a burden.
    but it is something that
    you just have to get through
    at all costs.
    until it is your time
    to quit the world of the living.

• Options
    she had had cancer

i have come to realize
    and only for the living.
    the dead are gone.
    no longer living.
    the survivors
    live on.
    sometimes that feels
    like a relief.
    a weight lifted.
    while sometimes it feels
    like a burden.
    but it is something that
    at all costs.
    until it is your time

So true, and beautifully said. Life is for the living...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    Aafke wrote:
    she had had cancer

i have come to realize
    and only for the living.
    the dead are gone.
    no longer living.
    the survivors
    live on.
    sometimes that feels
    like a relief.
    a weight lifted.
    while sometimes it feels
    like a burden.
    but it is something that
    at all costs.
    until it is your time

So true, and beautifully said. Life is for the living...
    thank you.

life is for the living, and life is for living. we all had better live with the time that we have left.

• Options
    Well live goes on even on a graveyard...

Graveyard3_zps7aeaf6e4.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    Aafke wrote:
    Well live goes on even on a graveyard...

Graveyard3_zps7aeaf6e4.jpg
    i guess we do end up fertilizing grass, so yeah, life does go on in a graveyard.

• Options
    That's why I do love old graveyards... Nature takes over what humans try to arrange into order. Chaos takes over again like this tree that grows around a broken gravestone. What I like about this pic are the little fragile flowers growing over the tree and gravestone. I think it's beautiful...

Graveyard3_zps7c77ca5b.jpg
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    Aafke wrote:
    That's why I do love old graveyards... Nature takes over what humans try to arrange into order. Chaos takes over again like this tree that grows around a broken gravestone. What I like about this pic are the little fragile flowers growing over the tree and gravestone. I think it's beautiful...

Graveyard3_zps7c77ca5b.jpg
    yeah this is a great pic.

i love seeing old graveyards. there is one here in town with headstones from the 1700s. pretty amazing to me, given that this city was not even purchased by the us until the early 1800s.