Options

does no one here wear earplugs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I was going to wear earplugs ... but then I realize I am not a woman.

I kid, I kid. Do what you want. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LizzyLizzy Posts: 32
    I severely damaged my ears this tour. I ended up wearing them at my last show (Mansfield I). I took them out at one point and quickly put them back in because I thought my head would explode. They sure do work.
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    did your mother never tell you - you should never stick anything into your ear larger than your elbow ....
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Actually, attending a few concerts a year is not really that bad for your ears. The people who have to worry are the ones who do it all the time (sound techs, the musicians themselves, security guys, venue staff, crew members, etc.).

Don't worry so much! A lot of it is media hype. Unless you're seeing like 5 shows a month for a few years (or more..) you have nothing to worry about.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    danny72688 wrote:
    Went to VA Beach without them and that was it. After that I told myself I'm wearing earplugs from now on and when I start performing live. I don't care how dorky it looks. Prevents the next-day headache and long term damages. Not hard to pop 'em out before the show and between sets to chat with neighbors.

I forgot my earplugs the first time I saw Pearl jam and kind of flipped out about it, but I was like fuck it this is pearl jam. I had trouble hearing for 2 days afterwords. I forgot them at Peter Frampton and Styx too, and again I had tinnitus really bad after that. I make sure that I always have earplugs now or cottonballs or something. I am honestly very lucky that I hear as well as I do. I suffered a high frequency hearing loss when I was younger. I believe it was due to listening to my walkman non stop as a kid with the earbuds just blaring. My hearing may have come back though cause I can honestly hear the beeping rings in the audiologist both now, I remember when I couldn't hear those. I'm rambling, but hearing is a precious gift and being that the music biz is my dream and hobby, I don't want to damage my ears any worse.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    I forgot my earplugs the first time I saw Pearl jam and kind of flipped out about it, but I was like fuck it this is pearl jam. I had trouble hearing for 2 days afterwords. I forgot them at Peter Frampton and Styx too, and again I had tinnitus really bad after that. I make sure that I always have earplugs now or cottonballs or something. I am honestly very lucky that I hear as well as I do. I suffered a high frequency hearing loss when I was younger. I believe it was due to listening to my walkman non stop as a kid with the earbuds just blaring. My hearing may have come back though cause I can honestly hear the beeping rings in the audiologist both now, I remember when I couldn't hear those. I'm rambling, but hearing is a precious gift and being that the music biz is my dream and hobby, I don't want to damage my ears any worse.

Sounds like you might be more sensitive than average, regarding the PJ, Frampton and Styx shows you're referring to.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    lehtinellehtinel Posts: 9
    Good earplugs are definately worht the money, and with them it's really a more enojoyable experiece to go to live shows.

I've got some ¨30-40 dollar worth tree style designed and fitered to cut some 30dB noise. On this tour I plugged them in half way trought the openers act in Hartford. Usually I wear them trough whole shows.

Bottom line: protect that hearing, if you loose it - it's not coming back!
    Arnhem '06 / Nijmegen '07 / Hartford '08 / Hyde Park '10

Demanding Pearl Jam to Finland: http://eventful.com/demand/D0-001-000849519-7
  • Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    I wear 'em all the time riding my motorcycle
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Wow, I just found the motherload of pussies that I see at all the shows wearing the earplugs.

Don't you want to hear the show?

Studies have shown that prolonged exposure to the noise on the streets of any given metropolitan area is far more damaging to your ears than a 3 hour rock concert.

Airplane flights are equally as damaging to your ears.
    the Minions
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Wow, I just found the motherload of pussies that I see at all the shows wearing the earplugs.

Studies have shown that prolonged exposure to the noise on the streets of any given metropolitan area is far more damaging to your ears than a 3 hour rock concert.

I guess I fall into this category :) I have suffered from tinnitus 24/7 for nearly ten years now so I always wear ear plugs at shows (carry them around in my handbag at all times and will even put them in in loud bars) ... my hearing is obviously already damaged and there is no way I would want the ringing in my ears to get worse/louder ... imagine the ringing in your ears you get for a few hours/couple of days after a gig and think of as part of the buzz NEVER going away ... obviously with hindsight I wish I had started wearing them sooner.

I would recommend them to anyone ... and it means I can actually hear the show better ... when artists talk between songs I've had friends have to ask me what is being said as the ear plugs actually make the sound clearer ... less muddy and d2d with the ones I have I have no problem hearing what the people I am with are saying.

Also there are different levels of loud ... even with my ear plugs in I know Pearl Jam loud has nothing on Alice in Chains loud ... which again is nothing on Dinosaur jr loud :eek: :o

During PJ at Wembley I saw people asking security if they had spare plugs as it was so loud and had friends who seriously worried about their hearing for a few days afterwards.

EDIT: I have these http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=975
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I always wear them. I play a lot of music and just thinking about what it would be like not being able to listen to or play music, is enough reason enough for me to wear them.
    I spent quite a lot of money having created some good ones. They just lower the sound frequency, but you are still able to listen to all the details. Everybody should wear these in my opinion...if you can´t live without music.

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Actually, attending a few concerts a year is not really that bad for your ears. The people who have to worry are the ones who do it all the time (sound techs, the musicians themselves, security guys, venue staff, crew members, etc.).

Don't worry so much! A lot of it is media hype. Unless you're seeing like 5 shows a month for a few years (or more..) you have nothing to worry about.

thats just plain wrong
  • Options
    sky08sky08 Posts: 43
    A good, disposable earplug to try is Mack's, available at any chain drugstore. It's just a silicon wad that molds perfectly to your ear. A 12-pack costs 4 bucks, and they're fairly inconspicuous. I actually break them in half so that they fit better, b/c they're big. When they get grubby, toss them, and grab a new pair. I wear them everyday on the subway, environmental noise is the worst. You can still hear thru them, they just take the edge off. I so regret that I forgot them at Mansfield, as sometimes the sound was harsh.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    you will be surprised at how much better it sounds.....let us know how it goes?

They were great! At first, I sealed them in and tried the first couple songs of the concert. Although I could hear everything, I felt a little subdued and thought I should ditch the plugs. But, I tried putting them in a semi-sealed way, and that allowed more sound and still protected my hearing. I was able to rock out, and the high annoying treble noises were pretty much blocked out. This is how I shall go to concerts from now on!
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Pearl Jam isn't that loud and the only opening act I thought was really loud was Ted Leo.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Pearl Jam isn't that loud and the only opening act I thought was really loud was Ted Leo.

Yeah Ted Leo was horrible!! All the guy does is make noise.

I've never heard KOL as opening act, only as a headliner. How are they soundwise?
    -Reagan
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447

I'm sorry but this is really stupid. Once your hearing is damaged it's damaged. I usually don't wear protection at concerts but wish I did more.

It's your body though, you can do with it what you want. I'll just let you know how future Pearl Jam albums sound.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    In all seriousness, it depends on what kind of show we're talking about. If you're at a smallish club, where you are forced to be fairly close to the speakers ... yes, bring earplugs, or be prepared for three days of ear-ringing.

But if you're in the back of an arena? Or even halfway back on the floor? It seems unnecessary. I mean, wear them if you want, but it just isn't that loud.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I went to a concert a while ago, where I was standing by the speaker-I didn't think it would be that loud and I noticed I couldn't hear properly for days afterwards
    so I've been wearing them ever since. I don't have the fancy ones, just the foam ones you get in CVS. I wait until the lights go down to put them in though :)

I won't go to a show w/o them.

I left the arena during Ted Leo with all that screeching. I was like 'am I old or do they just suck?" :)

MMJ was much better.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    i definitely wear them. One of the security guards even gave me an extra pair. Once your hearing goes, then that is it. Why risk it?
  • Options
    lehtinellehtinel Posts: 9
    Good plugs don't ruin your show in any way, they make it better.

I wear these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html

Some day I'll get those custom molded ones going for 150-200 bucks.

But music...and easy communication with other humans is such a big part of my life, and probably yours too, that I'd rather not miss it...
    Arnhem '06 / Nijmegen '07 / Hartford '08 / Hyde Park '10

Demanding Pearl Jam to Finland: http://eventful.com/demand/D0-001-000849519-7
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    We could always forget all of this by just asking the band to turn it down a little for us all...!!!
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Mostly I do, sometimes I forget to bring them. I notice in some venues you don't seem to need them but there have been times when I've not expected to need them only to discover that the sound guy has the whole thing cranked to 11 and then some and the sound is so distorted and bouncing off the walls it hurts my ears. That's when I reach into my handbag and pull out a tissue and scrunch it up. :) When I was younger I loved standing right in front of the speakers till my ears bled but now not so much.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    i did for ted leo.....they were loud
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*