Options

does no one here wear earplugs?

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    lowlight10 wrote:
    that would be true if the brightness of the movie screen led to blindness. I bet you'd be wearing sunglasses if that were the case.

nope, I'd take it like a man
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    TenaciousJ wrote:
    same hear.

i dont want to imagine how much damage i've done to my hearing during the years of concerts prior to wearing these earplugs. no more ringing in my ear after shows. whoohoo!
    "same hear" or "same here"

the ringing is never going to stop for me.....they ring all the time. i remember taking hearing tests in school a nd the tech would look at me with a "holy shit...you must be deaf" look.

it got to the point, i would watch her arm and try to pass the test by raising my hand if i thought she was pressing the button.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I always bring them and always wear them.
    Get a professional pair-they are much better than the foam drugstore ones.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    but honestly, i like hearing it ALL, even the loud-ass noise....:o

i really, really need to convince myself to wear them........:p
    me too...on both of these. :o
  • Options
    double post...
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Ted Leo's volume bothered my ears, but didn't hurt them, I was too far away.

Now, if I had won the lottery, we might have had problems.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    Hello all....speaking from experience, I cannot stress the importance of hearing protection at concerts. I am 38 years old, and have been wearing hearing aides for 6 years now because of high frequency hearing loss. I noticed it when my 2 year old was learning to talk, and I could not understand a word she was saying....my wife had to interpret for me. I have been going to concerts since I was 14 (80's metal, no less), and during my early 20's, living in Seattle, I was at the Off Ramp, RCKNDY, The Showbox, or the Crocodile at least twice a week seeing shows. I always thought "the louder, the better". I am now paying the price. For those of you who believe you are immortal (like almost all in their 20's!), I promise you, it is NOT worth it. I live every day with the constant ringing of a 120 dB concert stuck in my head.
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • Options
    ok, i've been sufficiently scared into buying a pair...i just ordered them. now i just need to get myself to wear them....
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    nope, I'd take it like a man

good point. that hearing aid at age 35 is gonna look really manly too.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    What? Speak up.
  • Options
    wallawallapj, sorry to hear that.but at least youre sharing your experience with others.

been wearing earplugs since my second show at the age of 17 (Soundgarden at the Aragon Ballroom in 1996). My ears rang for 2 days, and unlike most people, I did not take that as a sign that it was a "rockin" concert. shortly thereafter, I read a study that said everytime you have "temporary" hearing loss, only 90% comes back. most years through college and law school, I attended 30-50 shows a year. I would certainly have been deaf by now without earplugs.
    -

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    Did anyone else see a woman with a baby at the show? I didn't see earplugs either. WOW. Here's hoping she had them and just put them in later but why even bring a baby to a rock concert?
  • Options
    Did anyone else see a woman with a baby at the show? I didn't see earplugs either. WOW. Here's hoping she had them and just put them in later but why even bring a baby to a rock concert?

disgusting and idiotic. I dont understand this either, but I think they think that the kid is gonna remember the experience and grow up to be a huge PJ fan. please.
    -

• Options
    hobbes wrote:
    from reading around i noticed that a lot of people complain about how loud certain opening acts can be and how much it hurts their ears.

i want to know why exactly the fucking opening band is louder than Pearl Jam

i have realized, after going to hundreds of shows, that pearl jam is an EXTREMELY low-volume band.

i wish they would invest in some different equiptment (perhaps something at least made after 1980) so they would sound remotely like they are a rock band from the 90s and not a fucking classic rock band from the 60s.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    i don't understand how people who are so passionate and love music so much would risk the chance of never hearing it again? a two and a half hour show compared to a lifetime of music...that doesn't make much sense to me.
  • Options
    i want to know why exactly the fucking opening band is louder than Pearl Jam

i have realized, after going to hundreds of shows, that pearl jam is an EXTREMELY low-volume band.

i wish they would invest in some different equiptment (perhaps something at least made after 1980) so they would sound remotely like they are a rock band from the 90s and not a fucking classic rock band from the 60s.

you want it to be louder???

I'm sure Ed is sensitive to the issue since his idol PT lost part of his hearing back in the day.
    -

• Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    you want it to be louder???

I'm sure Ed is sensitive to the issue since his idol PT lost part of his hearing back in the day.
    plus he said at the dc show his hearing sucks. :cool:
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    lowlight10 wrote:
    disgusting and idiotic. I dont understand this either, but I think they think that the kid is gonna remember the experience and grow up to be a huge PJ fan. please.

let me be more clear...this was a newborn baby...she had it on her front, in one of those backback things where the baby hangs infront of you
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Maybe she had it in the parking lot!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Im very bad, I could've used them with the opening band. The person I was with put some tissue in her ears. And I wonder why I have trouble hearing people on the phone at work :p
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    DeLukin wrote:
    Can you speak up? I couldn't hear you...

LOL! Awesomeness!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    DeadpoolDeadpool Posts: 155
    I go to a lot of concerts every year and it is mandatory. I actually went to an audiologist and got the custom molded musician earplugs and that was great. I still have ringing in my ears a few days after a festival such as Bonnaroo since you are exposed to noise for such a long period of time.

My mission this year is 100 shows and after Bonnaroo I am on 56 shows this year. It's my present to myself after getting rid of my girlfriend.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    TenaciousJ wrote:
    for $12, these are the best earplugs for concerts. i go to alot of concerts and they definitely do the trick for attenuating the harmful dB's. plus they don't muffle the music. you can still hear every detail:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I've had the same pair of the etymotic earplugs for about 3 years now (they are reusable), and they work great. Well worth the $12. I had gotten to the point where my ears were ringing for a few days after a show, and didn't want to risk permanent damage.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    nope.
    but when my guy drags me to Lamb of God i sport my ugly sound proof earmuffs. ;)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    At the Bern show they gave away free earplugs to anyone that wanted them.

I frequently cover my ears with my fingers so I can understand what ed's saying. Also during certain songs..it does sound better.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    libragirl wrote:
    Im very bad, I could've used them with the opening band. The person I was with put some tissue in her ears. And I wonder why I have trouble hearing people on the phone at work :p
    I just didn't go in till Ted Leo was finished....was loud and really didn't dig their music.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Earplugs here too - the same etymotic ones that a few people have posted links too. I have some tinnitus, and don't want it increased. I go to quite a few shows - probably at least 15 a year. This year it has been already 12, and I still have Lollapalooza and 3x NIN coming up at least. I want to be able to enjoy music forever. (NIN I don't use the etymotic ones; I use 33db reduction and I can hear whatever Trent is saying, despite that)

With Pearl Jam, I keep pulling the earplugs a little out, so it takes the edge off the sound, but its not too quiet.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i always wear earplugs.........now that the horse left the barn.
  • Options
    ealasaid76ealasaid76 Posts: 95
    But sometimes ear wax does wonders. hah hah hah

Seriously, I do wear them, because I don't wanna have Pete Townsend's hearing.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    www.wm3.org
    9/13/98 Hartford,CT - 9/18/98 Columbia,MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach (Wantagh,NY) - 7/8/03 NYC (DVD show)
    9/28/04 Boston,MA (VFC Benefit-10C) - 6/23/06 Pittsburgh,PA
    6/27/08 Hartford, CT
  • Options
    the $200 i spent on custom ear plugs about five years ago is the best money i've ever spent. i never found the foam plugs comfortable but the custom plugs are amazing! but even though i had been going to shows without any ear protection for fifteen years, i had almost perfect hearing when we did the ear test at my fitting. just lucky i guess.
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006