Options

does no one here wear earplugs?

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
edited July 2008 in The Porch
from reading around i noticed that a lot of people complain about how loud certain opening acts can be and how much it hurts their ears. no one wears earplugs? are you that ignorant of what you're doing to your ears?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    i enjoy the hearing damage that i get...that buzzing for three days and diminished auditory abilities that seem to be permanent

but seriously....three concerts a year....at max....i will live with the consequences
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Cotton balls work great for my wife and I.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    I am ignorant... Bonnaroo and the opening act at Columbia left me unable to hear Pearl Jam as well as i should have at Columbia :(

but it was fun anyway... will consider ear plugs if I do a bunch of concerts again.. I stood right by the speakers at some small shows at Bonnaroo
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 494
    i definitely wear earplugs. everyone should.
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    hobbes wrote:
    from reading around i noticed that a lot of people complain about how loud certain opening acts can be and how much it hurts their ears. no one wears earplugs? are you that ignorant of what you're doing to your ears?

Can you speak up? I couldn't hear you...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    yeah, i'm screwed. i keep telling myself i should be wearing them but never do.
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    nfanel wrote:

I KNOW?? Why dont WE buy a pair? They only cost $2 or so.
    I said I would for years; never have.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    I've worn ear plugs before. Easy to forget though. I know I've got issues when concerts don't even phase me anymore, and I can hear perfectly fine after them. I have a buddy whose ears ring for 2-3 days afterwards.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    hobbes wrote:

In the immortal words of one of McCready's favorite bands:

"If it's too loud, you're too old!" - KISS circa '70's

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    always wear them at every show. not only because I love music and want to be able to hear for the rest of my life, but also because it actually makes the sound better at shows by cutting out a lot of the excessice low end. you can actually understand what they are saying/singing.

I try not to be overly judgmental, but anyone who attends shows regularly (more than one or two a year) and doesnt wear earlplugs deserves what is coming to them. even if I only went to one or two I would wear them.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    mr bungle wrote:
    Cotton balls work great for my wife and I.

You two must look charming with your cotton balled ears! lol...j/k all in good fun! =)

RM
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    You can wedge small bits of napkins into your ears that work pretty well and aren't very visible if you don't have hair covering your ears an are afraid of looking uncool and enjoy run on sentences.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    ear plugs and tickets are the only 2 things I make sure to have when heading to a show. not that hard to remember if you care about your hearing.
    -

• Options
    In the immortal words of one of McCready's favorite bands:

"If it's too loud, you're too old!" - KISS circa '70's

Peace,

RM

coming from a band i can PROMISE you wore earplugs on stage. every night.

they're professional musicians. if you can't hear..you're kind of SOL.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Went to VA Beach without them and that was it. After that I told myself I'm wearing earplugs from now on and when I start performing live. I don't care how dorky it looks. Prevents the next-day headache and long term damages. Not hard to pop 'em out before the show and between sets to chat with neighbors.
  • Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    always wear them at every show. not only because I love music and want to be able to hear for the rest of my life, but also because it actually makes the sound better at shows by cutting out a lot of the excessice low end. you can actually understand what they are saying/singing.

I try not to be overly judgmental, but anyone who attends shows regularly (more than one or two a year) and doesnt wear earlplugs deserves what is coming to them. even if I only went to one or two I would wear them.

another good point. shows sound a lot better with earplugs in.
  • Options
    If you really want the best, get custom fitted ones, they take a mold of your ear so it fits exactly, is barely noticeable, and doesn't cut out any of the quality, just the sound. A friend of mine has one for when he plays live and I've thought about it too. around 150 dollars.
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    If you really want the best, get custom fitted ones, they take a mold of your ear so it fits exactly, is barely noticeable, and doesn't cut out any of the quality, just the sound. A friend of mine has one for when he plays live and I've thought about it too. around 150 dollars.

damn. that would be amazing. but with the way i am i know i would lose them. i can't imagine losing $150 earplugs.
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    damn. that would be amazing. but with the way i am i know i would lose them. i can't imagine losing $150 earplugs.

Haha, I know, I would be so afraid too. They come in some little case though that is literally impossible for them to fall out, but I know I would some how still manage.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    yes....every show i go to and i only go to maybe 1 show every 3 years. i lost high frequency at an early age.....i can not hear the alarm on my watch even while i am wearing it.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    After working in, on, and around jets for 9+ years, I already can't hear. Going without earplugs makes it that much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    TenaciousJTenaciousJ Posts: 53
    for $12, these are the best earplugs for concerts. i go to alot of concerts and they definitely do the trick for attenuating the harmful dB's. plus they don't muffle the music. you can still hear every detail:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
    Maui I 98 / Camden II 98 / Jones Beach I,II,III 00 / Camden I,II 00 / Philadelphia 03 / Camden I 03 / Mansfield III 03 / Reading 04 / Montreal 05 / Camden II 06 / East Rutherford I 06 / Camden I 08 / NYC I,II 08
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    TenaciousJ wrote:
    for $12, these are the best earplugs for concerts. i go to alot of concerts and they definitely do the trick for attenuating the harmful dB's. plus they don't muffle the music. you can still hear every detail:

i noticed that the sound seems to improve with earplugs in.....during a show i will take them out for a moment just so i can hear the comparison between having ear plugs in and not having them in.
  • Options
    I'm gonna start wearing them tonight. Hope it doesn't muffle the concert too much.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    wearing earplugs at a rock concert is like wearing sunglasses in a movie theater
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I'm gonna start wearing them tonight. Hope it doesn't muffle the concert too much.
    you will be surprised at how much better it sounds.....let us know how it goes?
  • Options
    wearing earplugs at a rock concert is like wearing sunglasses in a movie theater

that would be true if the brightness of the movie screen led to blindness. I bet you'd be wearing sunglasses if that were the case.
    -

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    nfanel wrote:

agreed.
    i actually own an awesome pair, brought em to europe...put em in...but just could not get myself to keep them in. i KNOW the damage i am doing but i simply can't help myself. yes to some degree you 'hear better' WITH the earplugs, except can't hear your companions at all....but honestly, i like hearing it ALL, even the loud-ass noise....:o

seeing pearl jam is more than likely especially damaging b/c i more often than not go to multiple shows close together. i don't do that for any other acts. also, if i am fortunate with really good seats at times, i know it's even worse for my ears. so yes, i fully admit to my idiocy in this area.

yep, the exact same pair i own. i really, really need to convince myself to wear them........:p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    TenaciousJTenaciousJ Posts: 53
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i noticed that the sound seems to improve with earplugs in.....during a show i will take them out for a moment just so i can hear the comparison between having ear plugs in and not having them in.

same hear.

i dont want to imagine how much damage i've done to my hearing during the years of concerts prior to wearing these earplugs. no more ringing in my ear after shows. whoohoo!
    Maui I 98 / Camden II 98 / Jones Beach I,II,III 00 / Camden I,II 00 / Philadelphia 03 / Camden I 03 / Mansfield III 03 / Reading 04 / Montreal 05 / Camden II 06 / East Rutherford I 06 / Camden I 08 / NYC I,II 08